Reaction score
    PROGRESS UPDATE POST #21

The new station is taking shape... Let me explain stuff in steps, a little per each picture:

1) I've extended it sideways quite a bit. The new lateral parts of the structure will require more of those huge glass capsules with the blue glow (they are the shield rechargers), but I think I will be able to cover the whole thing with just four additional ones. Also, note the four grey octagons on those vertical framework pillars in the foreground - some of the station's medium-size offensive turrets will sit atop those.
    View attachment 48758

2) I've surpassed what I originally predicted in the previous post; the station became 521 long, 861 wide, and 170 tall. Unlike my previous shipyard station (PetroFlux H56 Refueling & Repair), this one has its shipyard aligned with the galactic North (the orientation assumed by ships when we press 'C' in flight mode). Below we are looking at it from the rear, and as you can see, its asymmetry is already emerging.

Left side: industrial yard / Right side: repair docks for smaller ships
    View attachment 48759

3) Before I started building this station, I wanted to make a down-scaled model to see the general structure of the thing. But then I ended up focusing only on how buildings and machinery would be arranged on the final station's industrial yard. This was a very quick job, it's mostly made of templates from older projects.
    View attachment 48760

4) Since the model was built onto a ship core, I've flown it to where such buildings and detail elements will reside in the real thing.
    View attachment 48761

5) The model turned out to be not-so-miniature after all. These represent the actual scale of what will be found at this industrial yard part of the station, which will be able to accommodate around 9x the area of the mock-up below (9x this amount of stuff, but on roughly the same scale). In its final form, this industrial yard will be INSANE - ridiculously detailed and as realistic as possible in StarMade. I have a long list of fun and extremely immersive roleplay features to add. And I must say, if you like the industrial style as much as I do, than you will love this.
    View attachment 48762

6) And here's a final shot. I like this view so much. This is the side where the repair docks for smaller ships will be, with extendable/retractable refueling pipes and some of the renewed astrotech repair system.

As for its name... I had a name, one very close to my heart, for a long while, without something to attach it to:
    The 'StormRefuge' Industrial Complex - which will very likely be my StarMade masterpiece if the construction goes as planned.

Wish me luck, and don't hesitate to share your thoughts about it if you would like to see it finished! ;)
    View attachment 48757
    WOW these machine parts look absolutely amazing! I kind of want to build a space-steampunk station with those templates!
    That would be so cool!

PS had an eye on the science station a good while now, however it's so big showing it might be best done in a stream ^^

Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    • Thinking Positive
    WOW these machine parts look absolutely amazing! I kind of want to build a space-steampunk station with those templates!
    That would be so cool!

PS had an eye on the science station a good while now, however it's so big showing it might be best done in a stream ^^

Hey, thanks Gmodism, it's nice to see someone finding something appealing about that station after a relatively long time since any progress or updates were made on it. I myself was fairly pleased with those machines, equipment and buildings on the industrial yard. I might make some of those parts public once I compile an industrial template pack, but that will have to wait for now. Anyways, I'm not sure why, but I just love sort of bleak, utilitarian industrial stuff.

Also nice to know that you already noticed that science station... Coincidentally, I too thought that I should probably not even bother asking either you or Tshara to take a look at it and perhaps decide if you want to make a youtube episode with it, because the interior really turned out to be a freaking huge labyrinth :^D

But I still intend to notify you when that Sobek warship is finished ;)

Reaction score
    Hey, thanks Gmodism, it's nice to see someone finding something appealing about that station after a relatively long time since any progress or updates were made on it. I myself was fairly pleased with those machines, equipment and buildings on the industrial yard. I might make some of those parts public once I compile an industrial template pack, but that will have to wait for now. Anyways, I'm not sure why, but I just love sort of bleak, utilitarian industrial stuff.

Also nice to know that you already noticed that science station... Coincidentally, I too thought that I should probably not even bother asking either you or Tshara to take a look at it and perhaps decide if you want to make a youtube episode with it, because the interior really turned out to be a freaking huge labyrinth :^D

But I still intend to notify you when that Sobek warship is finished ;)
    Allright, please do!!

Reactions: DeepspaceMechanic
    Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    PROGRESS UPDATE POST #25

Just a tiny update this time... It now has a pair of buggy arms! :^D

I'll probably name this the "Purple Wasp Drone". It's almost finished, I'll upload it in the following days.

Stay tuned for THE HIVE (the plans of which are described at the end of the previous page).

5.jpg

6.jpg

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    PROGRESS UPDATE POST #26

Won't let this place reach a month without any activity this time ;)

1) I didn't link the download page of the finished version of the ship in the previous few progress update posts, so here it is: https://starmadedock.net/content/alien-ship-the-purple-wasp-drone.7581/

I didn't yet start the promised "Hive" alien station that will accommodate this alien ship, but only because I was having a lot of fun in the past three weeks with continuing my Sobek Dreadnought project.

2) Those who downloaded my Sobek Dreadnought shell, with a yet-unfulfilled intention to build into it, might want to check its updated version: https://starmadedock.net/content/so...on-shell-with-engine-rotation-functions.7455/

This update comes with only fixes of the previous blueprint file, without any new features - the ship remains in the same shell stage.

BUT EXPECT A FINISHED VERSION OF THE SHIP TO BE RELEASED SOMETIME IN THE FOLLOWING TWO WEEKS.

The interior is 95% done. I spent the past couple of days hooking up the hangar bay with rails and logic to be able to dock/launch the already built new fighters with proper automation. It's already powered and shielded too, and the still-ahead turrets, weapons, chambers, and rest of the systems shouldn't take too long either... Coming soon.

1.jpg
    2.jpg

Last edited:

Kraengis

stuff builder
    Reaction score
    PROGRESS UPDATE POST #26

Won't let this place reach a month without any activity this time ;)

1) I didn't link the download page of the finished version of the ship in the previous few progress update posts, so here it is: https://starmadedock.net/content/alien-ship-the-purple-wasp-drone.7581/

I didn't yet start the promised "Hive" alien station that will accommodate this alien ship, but only because I was having a lot of fun in the past three weeks with continuing my Sobek Dreadnought project.

2) Those who downloaded my Sobek Dreadnought shell, with a yet-unfulfilled intention to build into it, might want to check its updated version: https://starmadedock.net/content/so...on-shell-with-engine-rotation-functions.7455/

This update comes with only fixes of the previous blueprint file, without any new features - the ship remains in the same shell stage.

BUT EXPECT A FINISHED VERSION OF THE SHIP TO BE RELEASED SOMETIME IN THE FOLLOWING 2-3 WEEKS.

The interior is 95% done. I spent the past couple of days hooking up the hangar bay with rails and logic to be able to dock/launch the already built new fighters with proper automation. It's already powered and shielded too, and the still-ahead turrets, weapons, chambers, and rest of the systems shouldn't take too long either... Coming soon.

View attachment 50208
    View attachment 50209
    Looking really nice here! Kudos to you for working with teal as hull color, I find it hard to use it as main tint. I'll check the BP once it's finished!

Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Looking really nice here! Kudos to you for working with teal as hull color, I find it hard to use it as main tint. I'll check the BP once it's finished!

Thanks, I'm happy to hear that you like it :)

Yeah, the teal hull with the brown and grey accents was an unusual, experimental choice for me too, and I actually settled with it after going through like three other paintjobs (by mass-replacing blocks with the Remove-Replace filter tool).

Glad to know someone's looking forward for the finished version, it shouldn't take long from now, two week max, if all goes well.

Reactions: Kraengis
    Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    PROGRESS UPDATE POST #27

Phew... Done!

It was a lot of fun building this ship, but looking back at it, it was a hell of an effort too... There was an initial construction phase of 20 days in March, when I worked on the hull/shell only, some break, and then a second phase of 50 days that ended this week, when I completed the interior, systems, turrets and fighters.

Here's the download page: https://starmadedock.net/content/mega-project-the-sobek-dreadnought.7455/

And here are the first and last stages of the ship shown together...
    Never again will I start building a ship even near this size and complexity:

1.jpg

24.jpg

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I really like the colour scheme, and the front turrets are quite spiffy.

Thank you, I'm glad that you like it.

I actually had to go through I think three other paint jobs, always deciding to redo it by mass-replacing hull blocks with the Remove/Replace filter tool, before settling with this. Teal/brown/grey sounds kind of crazy, but I guess it turned out nicely this time.

As for the front turrets, if you are referring to the really large structures on the sides of the nose, those are actually meant to be engine pods. They're separate docked entities, can be rotated to "control ship orientation", and actually house thruster blocks.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Thank you, I'm glad that you like it.

I actually had to go through I think three other paint jobs, always deciding to redo it by mass-replacing hull blocks with the Remove/Replace filter tool, before settling with this. Teal/brown/grey sounds kind of crazy, but I guess it turned out nicely this time.

As for the front turrets, if you are referring to the really large structures on the sides of the nose, those are actually meant to be engine pods. They're separate docked entities, can be rotated to "control ship orientation", and actually house thruster blocks.
    Oh. Hah, still very cool looking.
    [doublepost=1537737050,1537736946][/doublepost]And I hear you on the colour indecision. xD

Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    PROGRESS UPDATE POST #28

This was a fun side-project of relatively low effort, on which I worked for ten days. I felt the need to dive into building something random and easy, after emptying my list of things to do, with the completion of my Sobek-project. Sometimes such side-projects can be more enjoyable than the more epic endevours, because you're already finished with them by the time they would start feeling like a grind, something you *must* finish out of obsession or a desire for the catharsis of *finally* seeing it completed.

Here's the CC page: Nuntius 818 - Interplanetary Comms Relay Outpost

And here are a few screenshots showing the progression of its construction:

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg x.jpg

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    PROGRESS UPDATE POST #29

I decided to build a new shipyard only because I wanted to have a nice construction facility for a planned ship project.

It sometimes feels weird to just build ships in open space with nothing around (I keep my singleplayer universe very tidy).

So far it took around 60 songs on a UKF drum'n'bass playlist (few hours in one sitting). It turned out to be my best-looking shipyard so far, and I'm saving a copy of it in this stage for later reuse, while experimenting with different ways to extend the structure.

I will upload it upon request in this stage, if anyone wants it as a starting point for an original station of their own... Just ask ;)

starmade-screenshot-0000.png starmade-screenshot-0001.png starmade-screenshot-0002.png

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    PROGRESS UPDATE POST #30

Ok, I realize that I keep showing early WIPs and then abandon them, or describe detailed plans for future projects and then procrastinate forever with actually starting working on them, but it will be different this time (I hope).

I don't know how the hell I could've started on so many large-scale projects without relying upon this extremely useful method of making preliminary sketches IN-GAME AS MINIATURE MODELS (we could see Saber and Criss do this on official Twitch streams).

• You don't have to waste paper
    • No spatial reasoning needed; it's already 3D
    • Wire-framing doesn't feel like tape-measuring an entire city
    • There's no risk of unforeseen dissatisfaction in the fundamental design choices of the end result, like overall shape and arrangement of key parts; it's all there in front of you right from the beginning
    • There's no "Done with the shipyard part, but if it's this big, than the station itself would have to be in the multi-kilometers to look right", etc.

This will be sort of an all-inclusive industrial hotspot with:
    • Mineral depo and refinery to process mined stuff
    • Foundry and factory to turn raw materials into building materials
    • Shipyards to assemble parts into ships

If my muses won't let me down, this latest ambitious dream of mine won't end up in "development hell" like many previous ones.

1.jpg
    2.jpg

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    PROGRESS UPDATE POST #30

Ok, I realize that I keep showing early WIPs and then abandon them, or describe detailed plans for future projects and then procrastinate forever with actually starting working on them, but it will be different this time (I hope).

I don't know how the hell I could've started on so many large-scale projects without relying upon this extremely useful method of making preliminary sketches IN-GAME AS MINIATURE MODELS (we could see Saber and Criss do this on official Twitch streams).

• You don't have to waste paper
    • No spatial reasoning needed; it's already 3D
    • Wire-framing doesn't feel like tape-measuring an entire city
    • There's no risk of unforeseen dissatisfaction in the fundamental design choices of the end result, like overall shape and arrangement of key parts; it's all there in front of you right from the beginning
    • There's no "Done with the shipyard part, but if it's this big, than the station itself would have to be in the multi-kilometers to look right", etc.

This will be sort of an all-inclusive industrial hotspot with:
    • Mineral depo and refinery to process mined stuff
    • Foundry and factory to turn raw materials into building materials
    • Shipyards to assemble parts into ships

If my muses won't let me down, this latest ambitious dream of mine won't end up in "development hell" like many previous ones.

View attachment 52451
    View attachment 52452

Making miniature models has saved me hundreds of hours of concept drawing and is really the way to go. I personally use a large 500x500 pallet and make several iterations of a ship/station before working into large scale. It's good to see you utilizing the same method now :D

As for the station I can't wait to see more of it, I love industrial design look and this looks very gritty with pipes running everywhere, exposed structure support and localized station components. Also appreciate the heavy role-play theme you have here. Can't wait to see more! Adding this thread to my watch list!

If I was going to add my 2 cent to the design I would possibly add a cargo unloading area for new supplies to be dropped off near the mechanized factory.

Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Making miniature models has saved me hundreds of hours of concept drawing and is really the way to go. I personally use a large 500x500 pallet and make several iterations of a ship/station before working into large scale. It's good to see you utilizing the same method now :D
    It sure seems like a superior alternative to concept drawing... I had a few projects for which I made some sketches on paper before starting construction. But most of my creations were built by (1) deciding on what kind of thing I want, (2) pre-planning the overall form and some details in fantasy, (3) diving right into full-scale, building a wireframe outline of the structure that's relatively easily modifiable on-the-fly, and then start filling in the gaps and adding details.

Other times, especially with stations, I just built one key component (eg. the shipyard) and then randomly extended it, letting the natural flow of things determine the overall shape and the arrangement of parts (which often times leads to dissatisfaction with the end result).

As for the station I can't wait to see more of it, I love industrial design look and this looks very gritty with pipes running everywhere, exposed structure support and localized station components. Also appreciate the heavy role-play theme you have here. Can't wait to see more! Adding this thread to my watch list!
    Thanks, I'm happy to hear that you find it appealing. I love the industrial style too. I have been having this mild obsession of "creating my perfect industrial station", and this one is already quite promising in that regard. And thanks for having an eye on the thread, knowing that others have interest for my projects really helps in keeping the enthusiasm alive.

If I was going to add my 2 cent to the design I would possibly add a cargo unloading area for new supplies to be dropped off near the mechanized factory.
    I was thinking about something like that myself. If you look at the second screenshot above, the back (actually the Galactic-North-facing) side of the station is very flat and uninteresting... I don't want any acrophobic/agoraphobic vibes for the habitation area atop, because currently it's as if it would be built on the edge of and staring down a cliff. I plan to remedy this by extending the factory yard beneath it with a cargo loading/unloading facility for freighter ships.

Progress screenshots coming soon! :)

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    PROGRESS UPDATE POST #31

I started translating the miniature model into full-scale. I started with the same parts that were first built in the model, the shipyards. They still need a couple of massive rail doors and a bunch of machinery inside, but what's already done was built surprisingly rapidly/easily.

A few things to note:
    • Ditched the plan of fully enclosing the shipyards with glass, due to transparency issues (might do it with ice)
    • Available building area of the shipyards is 351 x 161 x 161, but will significantly decrease in width and height after machinery and ramps for make-believe building material transport vehicles will be added
    • Docking port array added to the left side of the model (as viewed in the picture below)
    • Freighter loading/unloading facility added to the back side of the model, extending the factory yard
    • Model re-evaluated to 1:25 scale from the previously stated 1:20 scale
    • Final structure is estimated to be around one kilometer wide/long, and around 700m tall
    • Project temporarily named "ICS" (Industrial Complex Station)

3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

Last edited: