MrGrey1's Shipyard

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Likeable
    Posting my shipyard progress, my ships in progress and links to my finished uploaded stuff.

550 meter's long and 360 tall... still very much an on going project. Templates ship on the top, the minigun turret shell and lots of marker blocks all still part of the construction mess. My mining carrier docked to the mid dock and my heavy mining ship just beneath it. The Milano and its Ravager pirate counterpart on each end Dock.

Internal hangar dimensions of 200x200x500. Was built to comfortably fit the Yamato.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Likeable
    WIP Mining Carrier

A lot of detailing work still to do on the front end though the general shape is set. Trying to get an industrial freighter ship feel to the build while making it as utilitarian as possible.

Designed for long haul deep space mining the carrier comes equipped with 20 mining drones, 2 explorer salvager repair ships and a Heavy Miner docked to the underside.

The drones are powered by a 199 reactor and each carries a 90 group salvager. The drones have a logic light indicator when storage reaches capacity to alert the operator they need to be unloaded. Even with the current limitations on fleet mining these make quick work of any asteroid field.
    The functionality of the carrier is basically complete and I've now started detailing. I've recently been working on the explorer dock and plan to move forward through the ship working on the details as I go. The explorer is a multipurpose ship and has a small salvage array as well as an astrotech array so it can be used for repairing and maintaining the fleet as well as scouting and salvaging duties.

Cargo capacity on the carrier is currently at 11million units. Where possible I'm building the cargo areas to have as many RP elements as can fit. There are cranes and storage pallets with a visible cargo transfer chain to make it as believable and realistic as I possible, much like I've done on my Heavy Miner.

A lot of work still to go and I'm not a fast builder so here's hoping I can get it done before any major changes to the game require a refit. ;)
    Cheers.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Likeable

Decided it's time for a new avatar and fleet emblem.

Thought it might be of interest to some as it shows my progress as I worked through the design trying different things...

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Likeable
    Latest WIP.
    Think I'm going to have to try a black scheme on this. Has that stealth cruiser feel about it.

I'm pretty pleased with the way the core room and bridge have worked out.

View from the core. The pilot can see through to the bridge.

Bridge

Bridge Camera

EDIT: Detailed guns and added missile pods to the wings.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The detailing in place is great, but something about that hull shape is just, really amateurish. I'm being frank because I think you're a top-tier builder, I really do. If I'm the only one who feels this way I'll shut up.

Reactions: MrGrey1

klawxx

Product Manager - Roden Shipyards
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Likeable
    The detailing in place is great, but something about that hull shape is just, really amateurish. I'm being frank because I think you're a top-tier builder, I really do. If I'm the only one who feels this way I'll shut up.
    The main problem, I believe, is that the slabbing doesn't match the wing "attack vector" pattern.
    Also, the angle or curvature of the wing "backside" is not too well defined. maybe my klingon bird-of-prey can help me better explain what i meant by that...

...In anyway, your work is still light years ahead of me.

Skwidz

turtleStew
    Reaction score
    I kind of feel the same way. I usually don't like curvey solid hull shapes in Starmade like that, I prefer split panels. The other parts look pretty cool though

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Likeable
    Good, I'm not the only one then. I can't put my finger on it either, there are elements of the ship I really like but something just doesn't fit, it doesn't gel. I had a smaller scale test run that doesn't have the same issue though I can't work out what's different, think I'm going delete some of the nose, wing and facing surfaces and see what else I can come up with. Thanks for the feedback.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Try making it thinner by taking the top three block layers off of the top and moving the cockpit and top section down.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Likeable
    Decided to call it a gunship and added some extra guns and armour plating ... and air breathing vtol theme just this afternoon because I couldn't figure out what to put in its place, AMS didn't fit right. I'm not sure on the vtol yet, it needs refinement and I'll have to add some vertical thrusters on the underside but the idea of an air flying gunship straffing pirate planets appeals to me so going to try and make it work...
    ...the underside is still a mess but the rear is starting to look like something..

edit: missile pods open.

[\SPOILER]

Last edited:

klawxx

Product Manager - Roden Shipyards
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Likeable
    Decided to call it a gunship and added some extra guns and armour plating ... and air breathing vtol theme just this afternoon because I couldn't figure out what to put in it's place, AMS didn't fit right. I'm not sure on the vtol yet, it needs refinement and I'll have to add some vertical thrusters on the underside but the idea of an air flying gunship straffing pirate planets appeals to me so going to try and make it work...
    Awesome! It looks a lot better now!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Likeable
    Almost lost the ship to a stupid alt tab moment and some pirates I'd forgotten I'd turned on. Spent a good deal of time fixing holes in my only recent copy, only just managed to bring it back from the dead. Took all evening with an astrotech beam and a lot of cursing. :/
    Remember kids, blueprint your stuff regular like!
    Been working on the fans since I finished patching holes, they fit nicely now that they've a few details.

[\SPOILER]

[\SPOILER]

Last edited:

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Almost lost the ship to a stupid alt tab moment and some pirates I'd forgotten I'd turned on. Spent a good deal of time fixing holes in my only recent copy, only just managed to bring it back from the dead. Took all evening with an astrotech beam and a lot of cursing. :/
    Remember kids, blueprint your stuff regular like!
    Been working on the fans since I finished patching holes, they fit nicely now that they've a few details.

If you build on CBS they don't have pirates at all.

You can also alternatively disable pirates in SP or just make a habit of God-Moding yourself on every login.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Likeable
    If you build on CBS they don't have pirates at all.

You can also alternatively disable pirates in SP or just make a habit of God-Moding yourself on every login.
    My ping to CBS is usually up around the 400 level so that's not happening sadly.
    Normally pirates are disabled on my home server and yeah I use God mode anyways, in this particular case though I'd hoped into a docked missile for testing purposes which left the rest of the ship out of God mode protection and I'd turned the pirates on over the weekend and forgotten I'd done so, so just another everyday case of bad luck meets stupid... the missile turret was perfectly ok though.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Likeable
    [\SPOILER]
    Mr Grey's Shipyard presents a stripped down all purpose space frame, the bare bones drone AKA the BB drone. An all purpose drone with a 199, 6 chamber reactor, 200K shields @ 1:4 recharge and a 2.4 unloaded thrust rating. More then 80% power available for armament!
    Strap what ever will fit to this drone and she'll fly like the trooper she is.
    So reliable she flies on one engine. Cheap. Reliable. Disposable. Do you want to know more?
    Customized weapon load-outs and accessories coming soon...

Imo that's hardly unacceptable. xP
    The block lag... ughhh, nooo. Enough gotchas as it is when building without adding block lag to the mix.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Rumcajz and kiddan