United Sectors Shipyards (USS)

Discussion in 'Shipyard' started by Wilavid7, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Wilavid7

Size Comparison Chart Transparent.png

United Sectors Shipyards
      Current Project
      Updated Frequently - Watch this Thread to stay up to date

USS Endeavor (~500 m Carrier)
      starmade-screenshot-0005.png
      Focus: Better use of negative space, large scale details, better general form, depth, hangar layout, cool logic, interesting and unique interior, Power 2.0, Weapons 3.0

Manufacturers
      USS (United Sectors Shipyards)
      Lending its name to the entire faction, this is the original and most advanced manufacturer of the USS fleet. USS focuses on designing and constructing military warships of various sizes, ranging from corvettes all the way to massive carriers.

Carrier
      [WIP] USS Endeavor (~500 m long)

Battleship

USS Albatross

Battle-Cruiser

USS Perseverance

Destroyer
      USS Phalanx

Frigate
      USS Alliance

Corvette

USS Reliant
      USS Valiant

Stealth Scout

USS Spectre

Exploration

USS Horizon
      USS Valiant-C

Shipyard

USS Enginuity-class Shipyard
      [WIP] Industrious-class Shipyard (~450 m long)

Crew Armor

USS Flight Suit
      USS Combat Armor

STR (Space Transportation Research-labs)
      Focusing on cutting edge technology, STR is a civilian ship manufacturer that is often contracted by USS to develop fighters and support ships. Due to their expertise in systems and aesthetic design, STR has a strong relationship with the USS that has lasted for many years.

Fighter
      STR StingRay
      STR Raptor
      STR Phoenix

Bomber

STR Bomber
      STR-Raven Custom

Other Projects
      STR External Jump-Drive
      Air Strike - Logic Arcade Game
      Arcade Game- Spike Dodger
      Millennium Falcon
      Isanth-VI Refit

CRT (Cargo and Resource Transporters)
      Originating from the far-flung corners of the galaxy, CRT engineers and operators are masters of mining resources and hauling them across the lonely void of space. In order to keep the USS fleet running smoothly, CRT vessels gather the raw materials necessary to maintain warship construction and repair.

Cargo Hauler
      CRT Convoy
      CRT Caravan
      CRT Express

Carrier
      CRT Leatherback

Salvager

CRT Rummager
      CRT Mosquito

Title Pic.png

#1 Wilavid7, Jun 5, 2018
      Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
      • Like Like x 11
    2. Wilavid7

USS Endeavor Progress Timeline
      Here's a look at the progress made so far on the carrier I'm currently working on, the USS Endeavor. As the name implies, its quite a challenge for me, but it's coming along nicely so far.

• Like Like x 8
    3. Equilibrium21

Damn they look good, I admire your building skills

• Like Like x 1
    4. DeepspaceMechanic

Beautiful work! - Have fun building the USS Endeavor, it already looks superb, and I like that "construct a framework, then attach the shell to it, piece by piece" technique you used. Also love the progress timeline album you showed. Keep up the good work! (y)

5. Wilavid7

Thanks! I'm really happy with how this newest ship is turning out
      --- Updated post (merge), Jun 6, 2018, Original Post Date: Jun 6, 2018 ---
      Thank you! With this ship, I'm trying to take a better look at the big picture rather than individual details, since the main criticism I've had before on large ships was that they were too busy. What I'm going for is super dense detail on the center, with simpler armor plating on the outside. Also, the frame is helping me get some more depth in the ship. Thanks again!

• Like Like x 2
    6. Wilavid7

Progress Report #1
      I haven't had much time to work lately, but here's some things I've been able to do the last few days

Good portion of the top
      starmade-screenshot-0019.png

Landing Pad
      starmade-screenshot-0017.png

Some more detailing
      starmade-screenshot-0015.png

And here's a close look at some detail I did earlier
      starmade-screenshot-0014.png
      Gribbles.png

#6 Wilavid7, Oct 13, 2018
      Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
      • Like Like x 6
    7. Wilavid7

Progress Report #2
      I've made some progress on the top behind the landing pad. It really ties the engines into the design and leaves a nice spot in the middle to build the bridge.
      14.png
      starmade-screenshot-0022.png

• Like Like x 7
    8. kiddan

kiddan Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror

No idea how I haven't seen your thread before, but your method of overlapping armour plates is plain beauty!

• Like Like x 1
    9. Wilavid7

Progress Report #3
      I've finished most of the top. There are still a few details to add (break up the front 'wings'), but I'm pretty happy with the overall form. I've added a small personal hanger at the back for the captain, and placed the main hanger doors. I'll also add a forward hanger for larger fighters, and possibly a support hanger on the bottom.
      starmade-screenshot-0005.png
      Opening Captain's Personal Hanger (With a high performance scout)
      starmade-screenshot-0007.png
      Main Hangar doors (Water shield activates when opened)
      starmade-gif-0003.gif
      starmade-screenshot-0006.png

• Like Like x 4
    10. Wilavid7

#10 Wilavid7, Jan 26, 2019
      Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
      • Like Like x 3
    11. b3njam1n

Hows the building going? The thread and Imgur havnt been updated recently. Hope its going well though.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Wilavid7

There hasn't been any progress since the last post since I have a pretty tough semester at school. I'm out of class in May, though, so there should be more to come soon. I'm looking forward to it as much as you are

• Like Like x 2
    13. b3njam1n

Ok, wish you luck with school. (y)

14. Madoushi

It blows my mind how people build this stuff.
      I've been dabbling in this game for years, and I still mostly just make Space Bricks. The grasp of complex geometry really is amazing.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Wilavid7

Thank you! I've been playing Starmade for about 5 years now and I still have a lot to learn about ship design (negative space, balancing/scaling details, systems, etc.))

For me, it really helps to sketch out several ideas for ships on a piece of paper, focusing more on the big shapes than the details. The rest is trying to break it up into smaller shapes that flow together while still being interesting. It also helps to have a main focus of the design, like a large hanger or forward weapon array or something like that. The other details will end up wrapping around that major feature.

• Like Like x 2
    16. Wilavid7

Progress Report #4
      After a long creative slump, I've finally been able to crank out some good progress on the USS Endeavor. I've moved to the front and bottom of the ship, focusing on the main weapons. The smaller cannons are support weapons (tractor beam, astrotech beam), while the large weapon array is undetermined yet. I also made some darker, highly technical areas to break up the armor panels. Much of the bottom will likely follow this pattern.

starmade-screenshot-0012.png
      starmade-screenshot-0013.png
      starmade-screenshot-0015.png
      starmade-screenshot-0017.png

--- Updated post (merge), Jul 8, 2019, Original Post Date: Jul 8, 2019 ---
      What suggestions do yall have for the main weapon? The ship is a very heavy carrier, so the weapon should have long range so the ship can fall back and support battleships. There are already going to be lock-on missiles in the six upper-side cannon barrels, so it'll be either a cannon or beam, but I'm not very familiar with the new weapon combinations.

• Like Like x 5