StarMade v0.19282: Putting more fun into battles. Also, boarding!

Reaction score
    Would we be able to get Missiles to target Nearest block or something as well so we dont run into the same issue where they sort of just loop through the giant hole its predecessor blew in the ship til they poof (this may be related to server speed settings, though)

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Only if your donut shaped ship is oriented in a way that none of the missiles will impact the sides. If you want to fly a donut until this is fixed, by all means...

Despite what you may think of cannons and beams, this update really brought them up to the same level as missiles. I would dare say it is more effective to just shoot the enemy than it is to spam missiles all day.
    My post had literally nothing to do with beams or cannons... The point is, that the centre of gravity mechanic can be exploited.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    My post had literally nothing to do with beams or cannons... The point is, that the centre of gravity mechanic can be exploited.
    I talked about beams and cannons because they are an alternative now, and a good one at that. And its not as easily exploitable unless your missile barrel is directly in the middle of the mass. There is still a good chance your missile will hit something unless you can manage to line it up for the duration of the fight.

Reaction score
    I can think of more ways to prevent people from entering my ship. But if you really want to board anyone, you should let a buddy of you power drain their ship to 0.
    They can't use weapons if they don't have power ;)
    Put a few generators on the turret. I don't believe a drain will drain docked entities.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Put a few generators on the turret. I don't believe a drain will drain docked entities.
    That's true but if you power drain + shield drain, their turrets won't be protected by its mothership's shield and will be easier to kill.

Reaction score
    This update is not gamebreaking but comes dangerously close.

The AI aims now at the center of mass. If now a player simply puts nothing there to hit, he becomes untouchable to AI fire. (Imagine two spheres, one above and one below the center of mass. Beams and canons fire through and missiles fly circles in between.)

For huge, slow turning capitals it’s essential to rely on their turrets. Before this, the only problem was that the AI had the marksmanship of a drunken Stormtrooper. Now the AI has the marksmanship of a drunken Stormtrooper who can’t decide between two targets and fires in the middle.

Solution: Make the AI fires at individual blocks. Make sure they don’t fire all at the same block.
    Firemodes:
    -Enemy, Hull
    -Enemy, Interior
    -Enemy, All
    -Neutral, All
    Honestly, i am a little bit surprised that this doesn't produce a bigger uproar.
    With proper ship design and positioning you can now completely nullify enemy turrets, lock on missiles and swarmers

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Hmmm, I kind of preferred the white trail with colored missiles. Having the whole thing the same color feels kinda meh.

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    The targeting for center of mass is a temporary solution since aiming for the core would be a lot worse. The game design allows to later switch that the AI can specifically target ship systems

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Maybe have both colors customizable? [the trail color being set by a light linked to the slave?]
    Not all missile systems have slaves. I would love to customize both... Honestly I wouldn't mind the color options just be in the weapons tab. I know schema wants to keep everything with block based solutions but it would be really nice to just choose a color/multiple colors without needing an extra block on the ship. It would also mean my missiles don't turn white after the color rod I slap onto my ship as an antenna just so I can have colored weapons inevitably gets shot off. Oh and there could even be more options then just the base colors we have through lights and crystals.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    You can already target overheating ships, asteroids, planets, etc, with the "aim at selected" option.
    Good to know. That solves my desire of shooting asteroids. But that still dosn't solve the problem of clearing the aftermath of a battle with several hundreds of overheating wreckages without using admin commands or waiting for ever.

Would we be able to get Missiles to target Nearest block or something as well so we dont run into the same issue where they sort of just loop through the giant hole its predecessor blew in the ship til they poof (this may be related to server speed settings, though)
    Not the nearest block. That might work if the server is under low load but at high load the explosions might overlap and it simply looks awful if an entire swarm of missiles all tries to attack the same block. Instead missiles should be fired evenly distributed over the enemy and if they miss their target they should first build up some distance before turning back and reattacking a new target (hitting the enemy in the backside). Furthermore missiles should not fly the shortest path to the target but get a starting vector in another direction (by firing in that direction). That way, missiles would fly a curve and be able to hit areas of the enemy not even in line of sight to the shooter and avoid friendlies.

specifically target ship systems
    Fantastic. That gives me the idea: What if not the ship had a HP-pool but every system itself, maybe even group wise.
    One could for instance target only the weapons of the enemy and render then inactive without having to destroy every last block or even the ship.
    Alternatively: Say a ship has two reactors and one of them got hit and is overheating. The player would have to get there in astronaut mode to keep the reactor from exploding and consuming half of the ship while doing that. If he doesn’t make it in time he loses half of the ship but the second reactor is still operational (assuming it was far enough away). That would motivate the players to leave the core.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Are you looking for multiple composers, or only one? Because I can do orchestral stuff, but ambiance and electronic isn't my strong point now.

Reaction score
    Found a little bug today. Don't know if anyone else is having this problem or if its just me. The logic controlling the rotator block seems to be a little hinky since the update. Everything I had on continuous rotation had stopped, and I manually had to reset the activation block connected to the rotator. It then only made one rotation and stopped again. After spending an hour disassembling and reassembling my systems to no avail, I finally found a work-around. I added a ninth activation block to the set, making it try to rotate 405 degrees instead of the normal 360, and it started rotating continuously again. After fixing all three of my rotary miners, and letting them run for about 20 minutes or so, they seem to be operating normally without stopping.

Reaction score
    Cool update, but I think I will still wait until we have shipyards that can auto-repair our ships.

Reaction score
    I am curious. Ive seen all about what the update was for, yet no mention whatsoever about the 2 or 3 other downloads ive had to make in last 3 days...what were they what did they fix?