StarMade v0.19282: Putting more fun into battles. Also, boarding!

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    *drools*
    A question, tho. What does this "scaling", in regards to titans and ship size, mean?
    Are you talking about structure HP? The larger a ship is, the more damage it will take to its structure HP per block destroyed.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Are you talking about structure HP? The larger a ship is, the more damage it will take to its structure HP per block destroyed.
    Yes, that was my interest, is that the " HP penalty per systems amount" figure in the build screen?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Yes it is, although I don't know the math behind it.
    I too would like to know the math behid it, and also would not. If we knew the math, than someon could just make a formula for max efficenecy, in this sense minimum HP penalty, that is if the scaling is not linera.
    If it is linear, i dont care that much :D

Reaction score
    I'm at work, so I can't test this, but if I'm understanding all this, it's no longer possible to overheat a core by damaging it directly; only by draining HP to zero or by using a torch. Is that about right?

This opens up so many possibilities for ship design. Even the boarding tools alone are incredible, but the HP system and the diversified block masses promise to add depth beyond measure.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Well, this all sounds very exciting again. Although I'm more a survivalist then a battleship captain there are a lot of interesting refinements in here. Personally I like the differentiation in block masses and the new system for calculating damage to ships.

All in all, a lot to learn in this new update, nice work guys. :cool:

Greets,

Jan

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    I too would like to know the math behid it, and also would not. If we knew the math, than someon could just make a formula for max efficenecy, in this sense minimum HP penalty, that is if the scaling is not linera.
    If it is linear, i dont care that much :D
    The factor you see ingame is determined by this formula:
    system HP penalty = HpDeductionLogFactor*(max(0, log10(maxHP)+HpDeductionLogOffset))
    HpDeductionLogFactor is set to 0.7
    HpDeductionLogOffset is set to -5
    The log offset basically means when the system penalty is going to apply: -5 => 5 zeros in system HP and the log factor determines how heavy this weighs through.

Example, my ship has 5 000 000 system HP => 0.7 * ( log10 (5 000 000) - 5) => 0.7 * (6.7 - 5) => 1.19
    Now if you want to know how this alters your ship. Each block destroyed will deduct => block SHP + block SHP * 1.19 so in this case you almost lose more than double the HP that you gained from that block.

Reaction score
    I dunno about this update. I do greet the HP system because now battles will last longer. No more core drilling...
    However.
    The new system has some unhandled issues.

1. You can no longer salvage overheating ships and this bugs me to no end.
    2. Pirates somehow seem to be able to move even when overheating, I noticed this after I stopped one with my stop machine guns and it started moving again when I stopped firing. They should have lost thrust WAY BEFORE they began overheating. This way you can't even reboot and salvage pirates because they will move away from you.
    3. The new patch has the Nav and HUD distance display for entities bgged if you arrive to a sector with jump drive, warp gate or admin TP. It will display distances only related to your point of arrival, will not update with your ship's position if you move.

For these reasons (it took me 20 minute of gameplay to find out so they are pretty obvious) I feel like this update was rushed.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    I dunno about this update. I do greet the HP system because now battles will last longer. No more core drilling...
    However.
    The new system has some unhandled issues.

1. You can no longer salvage overheating ships and this bugs me to no end.
    2. Pirates somehow seem to be able to move even when overheating, I noticed this after I stopped one with my stop machine guns and it started moving again when I stopped firing. They should have lost thrust WAY BEFORE they began overheating. This way you can't even reboot and salvage pirates because they will move away from you.
    3. The new patch has the Nav and HUD distance display for entities bgged if you arrive to a sector with jump drive, warp gate or admin TP. It will display distances only related to your point of arrival, will not update with your ship's position if you move.

For these reasons (it took me 20 minute of gameplay to find out so they are pretty obvious) I feel like this update was rushed.
    Issue 1 could be considered as a bug but it's probably related to issue 2, since AI does not disable when overheating (a bug) which also prevents them from being salvaged.
    I don't know anything about issue 3 so I'll have to check that out first.

The update was definitely not rushed, it's just that the testers always miss stuff and you can't fix something you don't know anything about.

Edit: issue 3 does not seem to occur for me, my navigation shows proper distances and updates correctly, same goes for a targeted marker with its distance next to it. Whatever issue you're having, I doubt it was caused by this update since the navigation menu was not touched.

Last edited:

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    So are effects based off of block count or mass. I've got an Defensive Ion effect system. In the weapons menu it reports 60% efficient, but when I'm in flight mode and activate it, it only reports 43% efficient. So which one is true?

Reaction score
    So are effects based off of block count or mass. I've got an Defensive Ion effect system. In the weapons menu it reports 60% efficient, but when I'm in flight mode and activate it, it only reports 43% efficient. So which one is true?
    Do you have any docked entities on your ship? Might be related to the mass of docked added to your ship when the effect is calculated?

Issue 1 could be considered as a bug but it's probably related to issue 2, since AI does not disable when overheating (a bug) which also prevents them from being salvaged.
    I don't know anything about issue 3 so I'll have to check that out first.

The update was definitely not rushed, it's just that the testers always miss stuff and you can't fix something you don't know anything about.

Edit: issue 3 does not seem to occur for me, my navigation shows proper distances and updates correctly, same goes for a targeted marker with its distance next to it. Whatever issue you're having, I doubt it was caused by this update since the navigation menu was not touched.
    Issue 3 only applies on multiplayer. Maybe server-client miscommunication?

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    it should use mass, I assume the one in the menu is using the wrong number then (block count/10)
    [DOUBLEPOST=1434820981,1434820906][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Do you have any docked entities on your ship? Might be related to the mass of docked added to your ship when the effect is calculated?

Issue 3 only applies on multiplayer. Maybe server-client miscommunication?
    We only test on a server, I checked on the test server and it was fine for me. Can you PM me the details about this issue? perhaps a screenshot or 2 to help?

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Well, if it's mass, then that sucks for this ship... I'm going to have to fit in 1286 ion effect blocks somewhere. ugg
    I'm not complaining by the way. I love the update... I'm just temporarily annoyed : /

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Well, if it's mass, then that sucks for this ship... I'm going to have to fit in 1286 ion effect blocks somewhere. ugg
    I'm not complaining by the way. I love the update... I'm just temporarily annoyed : /
    It is mass last time I checked, and it should be too :) This makes effects easier to use on less armored ships but yes, reworking your ships isn't fun :(

Reaction score
    it should use mass, I assume the one in the menu is using the wrong number then (block count/10)
    [DOUBLEPOST=1434820981,1434820906][/DOUBLEPOST]
    We only test on a server, I checked on the test server and it was fine for me. Can you PM me the details about this issue? perhaps a screenshot or 2 to help?
    I feel you bro, the increased armor mass screwed over my jump drive ratios too.