StarMade v0.19282: Putting more fun into battles. Also, boarding!

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    That would be nice, but that doesn't fix the issue someone just filling up their hallways at the shipyard before the battle. I don't think there's really ANY way to fix that, though, besides server admins not allowing that kind of nonsense.
    I can see an easy solution, in fact.
    Currently the ships when taking fire they enter in " battle mode ", causing the shields to recharge at a very lower rate. What if we make this " battle mode " to forbid block placement ?

Reaction score
    "Putting more fun into battles. Also boarding!"
    "more fun into battles. Also boarding!"
    "boarding!"

Edit: Now that I've read the actual article, I'm even more excited!

Last edited:

Tunk

Who's idea was this?
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    If I did my math right it might actually be detrimental to use lots of advanced armour.
    Is armour supposed to perform worse per mass in everything but effective block HP as you go up the tiers?

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    That's... awesome, actually. I hope it stays. It makes Damage Pulse a deadly weapon to use, but it's also very difficult to use, as you need to ram into an enemy.
    indeed. you still can't chase down a target with it and its low shield damage is still a problem. but this really makes up for it.

all that time spent developing my boom lance is about to pay off

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    This has to come out when my damn internet is shaped of course, but I'm being told by the admin of the server I play on that pirate's weapons are totally bypassing shields now, anyone else experiencing this?

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Very awesome update! The Torch is sure going to spice up PvP, along with the HP system. :) This should encourage interior turrets that can use the new AI mode! =D

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    All but forcing players to have not only a decorated interior, but traps and turrets! (well, not FORCING, just strongly recommending lol) No more "single long hall snaking back and forth to your core" And now that the core is somewhat hidden (targeting center of mass instead) you'll have to find it first!

Reaction score
    Has anyone else tried to playtest this with fighters? I noticed that with fighters, one on one, the battles were paced like a sloth fighting a turtle in a pool of molasses. In winter. In Canada.

tl;dr I complain! dogfight boring!

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Hello Players,

a new version is ready to download.

Get the full news here:

http://star-made.org/news/starmade-v0-19282-putting-more-fun-into-battles-also-boarding

Thank you for playing StarMade,
    - schema and the Schine Team
    I am sorry, but where is the new bugtracker? Am I the only one who can't find the link to it?..

Also, all this sounds amazing, let's see how it turns out to be in real life:)
    At least it makes armour useful now. I hope it does, have to see how it actually works.

Thanks Schine team for another jumpoverthegap update. Every time you issue one, I am fascinated.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    All but forcing players to have not only a decorated interior
    It isn't really forcing players to have interiors, but giving more options. Way I see it, if you want a ship with a lot of armor and decent HP, a ship with an interior will give you that because armor can be used for corridors and walls. Want a ship with a lot of HP and power, but with low defense and a huge weak point once that layer of armor comes off? Make a ship like traditional PvP type ships have been being made. In theory at least. How much of a significance the new system will have on design philosophies is yet to be seen with default values.

Interestingly enough I think the ships with less interior now actually are more susceptible to forced entry and forced exit from the core because no interior save a small cockpit or control room means little or no defense turrets and only two or a couple of locked blastdoors to torch your way through. Should be fun to see what kind of anti-boarding countermeasures one can make with rails on a big ship. Ship wide lockdown system with rails sounds pretty sweet right about now.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    also i hope the torch only works on cores or just one block at a time. The griefing potential for that thing has me concerned
    It fires like a gun, so it will only hit one block at a time. ATM it is far too weak to be used as an exploit.

(Seriously, I've been waiting to scream "target enemy shields" or something to that effect for a long, long time now)
    There is no reason you can't already do this. In fact you have been doing this the entire time. Physically destroying blocks has and still cripples that system. With the way systems currently operate, this is only really effective against power and weapon systems.

filling up the hallways with tons of blocks
    If they player is doing this before they overheat, it will only weaken their ship further to place or remove blocks.

Damage Pulse can pass through armor and destroy system blocks .
    It has had this capability for a long time.

pirate's weapons are totally bypassing shields now, anyone else experiencing this?
    Its possible this is a visual bug. When I tested, it looked like shields were up despite my friend in the other ship telling me otherwise.

the battles were paced like a sloth
    Because of the damage you did or because of how slow the ships moved? In both cases, making ships entirely out of advanced armor is not a good idea. What was once a 2/1 thrust to mass ratio bomber of mine is now 1/1. Not only will it be slowed down, but the smaller weapons will have a hard time doing significant damage to the armored ship.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    It fires like a gun, so it will only hit one block at a time. ATM it is far too weak to be used as an exploit.
    yeah, i was playing around with it and figured no griefer would have the patiences to cut up vast swaths of a ship. so its ok in that sense, however i would give it bonus damage to cores since at the rate it damages things it takes like a year and half to simply force another player out of core, then you gotta fight um.

It has had this capability for a long time.
    but now system blocks are out lifeline. where as before it would just be a minor nuisance, now a smart player could turn a hole in the hull into damage pulse tunnel and destroy a ship from the inside out

Reaction score
    It isn't really forcing players to have interiors, but giving more options. Way I see it, if you want a ship with a lot of armor and decent HP, a ship with an interior will give you that because armor can be used for corridors and walls. Want a ship with a lot of HP and power, but with low defense and a huge weak point once that layer of armor comes off? Make a ship like traditional PvP type ships have been being made. In theory at least. How much of a significance the new system will have on design philosophies is yet to be seen with default values.

Interestingly enough I think the ships with less interior now actually are more susceptible to forced entry and forced exit from the core because no interior save a small cockpit or control room means little or no defense turrets and only two or a couple of locked blastdoors to torch your way through. Should be fun to see what kind of anti-boarding countermeasures one can make with rails on a big ship. Ship wide lockdown system with rails sounds pretty sweet right about now.
    Don't be too excited about interiours, as TAB+F6 solves it all. Move through the walls like a ninja and cap the ship while useless inner turrets shoot into walls.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Something needs to be done about cheesing boarding parties. Hallway clearing weapons, filling up the hallways with tons of blocks, making boarders play an extreme version of "the floor is lava," etc.
    Lava DOES still kill players, right? Make the floor ACTUALLY BE lava!

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Lava DOES still kill players, right? Make the floor ACTUALLY BE lava!
    That's what I meant by an extreme game of "the floor is lava." Lava doesn't hurt players when they're out of gravity, though. If you're careful, you could use the torch to destroy any area triggers meant to put you in gravity before you walk into them.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    That's... awesome, actually. I hope it stays. It makes Damage Pulse a deadly weapon to use, but it's also very difficult to use, as you need to ram into an enemy.
    Damage pulse was always this way, its normal dps is only a small portion of the other weapons to compensate for that but when you use Ion, it becomes equal to other weapons (that also use ion).

When thrusters get reworked (seems that eventually we'll get that, looking at calbiri's thread) we'll probably have to take a look at damage pulse again since then smaller ships should find it way more easier to get closer to a capital ship.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'm just going to throw this out there... Turret with a single "damage pulse" block on it, buried inside of the wall next to a corridor. An adequate answer to boarding?

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    I'm just going to throw this out there... Turret with a single "damage pulse" block on it, buried inside of the wall next to a corridor. An adequate answer to boarding?
    I can think of more ways to prevent people from entering my ship. But if you really want to board anyone, you should let a buddy of you power drain their ship to 0.
    They can't use weapons if they don't have power ;)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    *drools*
    A question, tho. What does this "scaling", in regards to titans and ship size, mean?