StarMade v0.19282: Putting more fun into battles. Also, boarding!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    This update was really nice, but I do not think the increased power requirements for weapons was a good idea. We already had to up gun to take out the advanced armor when it got buffed, now its much harder to support those weapons. An example being fighters, its not hard to build a fighter with a layer of advanced armor protecting it. However this means that any cannon short of doing 1000 damage is going to take forever to destroy it. Thus making the missile the default weapon for fighters, and the weapon of choice for capital ships as well.
    Right now cannons require something like 3 times the amount of power they did previously if my testing is correct. now missiles seam to use more power as well, but missiles can still do more damage compared to beams and cannons, wile remaining smaller, and using less power.

Reaction score
    tab+f6 is fixed.
    Noope, it hasn't been fixed at all, Lec. Try it not in astronaut mode. Took me abt 45 secs to penetrate 2M mass ship right next to the core.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1434827283,1434827186][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I can think of more ways to prevent people from entering my ship. But if you really want to board anyone, you should let a buddy of you power drain their ship to 0.
    They can't use weapons if they don't have power ;)
    Lancake, could you please tell me, where's the new bugtracker?.. I am either overexcausted and tired, either blind, but I can't find it.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    I also need the bugtracker because of a serious bug, but i don't find it :(

Reaction score
    Ugh, that torch means that there's no possible way to keep a ship from getting hijacked other than to have them ALL constantly manned.

A solution that I just thought up would be to have constant damage pulses around the ship core and faction block - preventing players from being able to reach them.

Reaction score
    Ugh, that torch means that there's no possible way to keep a ship from getting hijacked other than to have them ALL constantly manned.

A solution that I just thought up would be to have constant damage pulses around the ship core and faction block - preventing players from being able to reach them.
    Turrets can be set to anti-personnel mode. Just sayin'.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Please keep using the old bug tracker: http://bugs.star-made.org/
    We're still busy exporting all the listed bugs, reporting on both places will only add more confusion + not all testers are familiar with the new tracker. We'll announce the new one when it's ready to be used full scale.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1434829408,1434829049][/DOUBLEPOST]
    This update was really nice, but I do not think the increased power requirements for weapons was a good idea. We already had to up gun to take out the advanced armor when it got buffed, now its much harder to support those weapons. An example being fighters, its not hard to build a fighter with a layer of advanced armor protecting it. However this means that any cannon short of doing 1000 damage is going to take forever to destroy it. Thus making the missile the default weapon for fighters, and the weapon of choice for capital ships as well.
    Right now cannons require something like 3 times the amount of power they did previously if my testing is correct. now missiles seam to use more power as well, but missiles can still do more damage compared to beams and cannons, wile remaining smaller, and using less power.
    You have a point but I'm not sure if we want to deviate from the 1 damage => 10 power. cannons and beams deal 2 times more damage per block, their power consumption per block was increased by the same amount. Nothing has changed, besides that you need 2 times less blocks to get the same DPS. The power use of missiles is also 10 power for 1 damage so I'm not sure why you're saying they use less power relative to the other weapons.

Personally I believe a faster power scaling would be better since that only affects small ships (and bigger ships too if they use external reactors, but that can be balanced with the power supply beams).

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Noope, it hasn't been fixed at all, Lec. Try it not in astronaut mode. Took me abt 45 secs to penetrate 2M mass ship right next to the core.
    But it is fixed in astronaut mode?

Really, using tab+f6 should be restricted to admins, but then you've got issues with not being able to fix unloaded chunks.

Reaction score
    But it is fixed in astronaut mode?

Really, using tab+f6 should be restricted to admins, but then you've got issues with not being able to fix unloaded chunks.
    True and true and true. Still it is a huge hack.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    This update is not gamebreaking but comes dangerously close.

The AI aims now at the center of mass. If now a player simply puts nothing there to hit, he becomes untouchable to AI fire. (Imagine two spheres, one above and one below the center of mass. Beams and canons fire through and missiles fly circles in between.)

For huge, slow turning capitals it’s essential to rely on their turrets. Before this, the only problem was that the AI had the marksmanship of a drunken Stormtrooper. Now the AI has the marksmanship of a drunken Stormtrooper who can’t decide between two targets and fires in the middle.

Solution: Make the AI fires at individual blocks. Make sure they don’t fire all at the same block.
    Firemodes:
    -Enemy, Hull
    -Enemy, Interior
    -Enemy, All
    -Neutral, All

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I assume you mean targeting system blocks? The game doesn't currently calculate what is and is not interior space of a ship.
    Sorry, you are right. I meant system blocks.

This can already be accomplished with faction settings. I'm gonna say no on that one.
    It would be new to me it that allows to autotarget overheating ships, asteroids, planets, etc. By my knowledge this option only considers objects of neutral factions and players. Am I wrong?

Last edited:

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    It would be new to me it that allows to autotarget overheating ships, asteroids, planets, etc. By my knowledge this option only considers objects of neutral factions and players. Am I wrong?
    You can already target overheating ships, asteroids, planets, etc, with the "aim at selected" option.

Reaction score
    I don't know if these changes are good or not. I suppose they are as usual.

I absolutly didn't understand the Cannon and Beam damage rework paragraph. If someone want to explain it better.

Thanks.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    I don't know if these changes are good or not. I suppose they are as usual.

I absolutly didn't understand the Cannon and Beam damage rework paragraph. If someone want to explain it better.

Thanks.
    Watch the video. It will demonstrate the changes.

Reaction score
    [DOUBLEPOST=1434854895,1434854855][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Tab+F6 should no longer be available in a ship if you are not an admin. As non-admin it is available in astronaut mode but it will stop you until chunks are loaded in.
    darn, I forgot I got admin rights, sorry -_-

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Wouldn't turrets aim for the centre of mass, thus not hitting a doughnut shaped ship? Doesn't that make doughnut shaped ships totally OP?

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Wouldn't turrets aim for the centre of mass, thus not hitting a doughnut shaped ship? Doesn't that make doughnut shaped ships totally OP?
    Already discussed. Fixable by making AI target blocks instead of CoM.

In the mean time, contact your server admins to ban donut ships.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Only if your donut shaped ship is oriented in a way that none of the missiles will impact the sides. If you want to fly a donut until this is fixed, by all means...

Despite what you may think of cannons and beams, this update really brought them up to the same level as missiles. I would dare say it is more effective to just shoot the enemy than it is to spam missiles all day.