Importing your favorite ship hulls per request (1 a month)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I'll upload once I can get the sides lined up, need to find that perfect number where everything is symetrical, or else I just need to do a custom bounding box.

Gone through a couple of itterations so far, my OCD gets triggered when things don't quite line up -_-

Reactions: DeepspaceMechanic
    Reaction score
    Im the same way. The reason I'm asking you to do instead of me. Every time i tried id get an error an it wound give a bunch of data i have no idea what to do with it. I can convert certain objs while others wont convert. give off the same error. So i have very little choice but to ask for help. I would do the conversions my self. Yet being there are no tutorials on how to fix it when you get an error. Being bobby has retired from the game I see no good future for smedit.. Thank you. Till All Are One.
    Do you use Discord

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Im the same way. The reason I'm asking you to do instead of me. Every time i tried id get an error an it wound give a bunch of data i have no idea what to do with it. I can convert certain objs while others wont convert. give off the same error. So i have very little choice but to ask for help. I would do the conversions my self. Yet being there are no tutorials on how to fix it when you get an error. Being bobby has retired from the game I see no good future for smedit.. Thank you. Till All Are One.
    Do you use Discord
    Sure do! I'm on a variety of SM servers.
    Unoffcial Discord Server: Discord - Free voice and text chat for gamers
    My Factions Discord server: Discord - Free voice and text chat for gamers

I assume your trying to import OBJ Files directly into SMEdit and it's giving you an error message:? Like this:

That's the message I get when I tried to import the DS9.obj
    I have imported obj's in the past though, seems like some don't work well and need to be voxelised first.
    The process I posted on the previous page has always worked for me though, just takes a bit of work.

Reaction score
    By that I ment you can't open up current ship blueprints from modern versions in smedit ( you would need to use an older version like your doing), you can only import with the newer versions.

I also recently came across these two tools:
    Blueprinttype Converter
    BlueprintCoreManipulator

Which still work and make life much easier, allowing you to change entity type and core placement on the fly!
    _____________________________________________________________________________

How I do the file conversion:
    (there is also a program called Vox2Sm3 which turns in straight into a blueprint, but I havn't used it a whole lot, it just means you don't need to use SMEdit)

Download binvox: (you can get one version of it here)
    Programs and editors/Binvox

You can find SMEdit here:
    SMEDIT

Place your .obj file (can use Sketckup to export models as obj) in the same directory as binvox.exe

Open command promt and navigate to the folder with binvox.
    Fro example, this is my one:

Then type in binvox followed by whatever commands you want then the file name.

E.g and then press enter. A binvox file will appear in that directory which you can then open in SMEdit

Then you just open SMEdit and import, do what you want then export as a blueprint :P (e.g further rotation, core, adding wedges to smooth, changing colour)
    Small problem for me: SMEdit simply doesn't start after clicking its start button. No idea why, must be some kind of immediate fatal error. Happens on both my desktop (Fedora Linux) and laptop (Ubuntu Linux) and on a friend's computer(Windows...7 I think).

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Small problem for me: SMEdit simply doesn't start after clicking its start button. No idea why, must be some kind of immediate fatal error. Happens on both my desktop (Fedora Linux) and laptop (Ubuntu Linux) and on a friend's computer(Windows...7 I think).
    I would try a fresh SM installation (say in your documents), make sure java is updated, install it to the correct directory
    (mine is in D:\Documents\Starmade 2018 Gladius\starmade-launcher-win32-x64\StarMade)
    Set your ram correctly (I use 4 GB, 2 would also work fine)
    And then try and start it. I use windows, but using other OS could cause some issues.
    Not starting is generally a Installation issue in my experience, hope you can get it sorted

Reaction score
    I would try a fresh SM installation (say in your documents), make sure java is updated, install it to the correct directory
    (mine is in D:\Documents\Starmade 2018 Gladius\starmade-launcher-win32-x64\StarMade)
    Set your ram correctly (I use 4 GB, 2 would also work fine)
    And then try and start it. I use windows, but using other OS could cause some issues.
    Not starting is generally a Installation issue in my experience, hope you can get it sorted
    Linux, java is updated, tried 2GB. I've heard something about SMEdit creating folders when it first runs that need to be deleted, but haven't investigated. Ultimately, I had to rely on someone else running Vox2SM3 (it's Windows-only because of some incredibly poor design decisions).

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    Linux, java is updated, tried 2GB. I've heard something about SMEdit creating folders when it first runs that need to be deleted, but haven't investigated. Ultimately, I had to rely on someone else running Vox2SM3 (it's Windows-only because of some incredibly poor design decisions).
    You can't use WINE? You don't have a compatibility dual-boot?

Reaction score
    You can't use WINE? You don't have a compatibility dual-boot?
    WINE isn't the most reliable and Windows has a habit of killing itself every so many months. It might actually be a faster route for next time to just fix the source code so it isn't using Windows-specific ways to clean up files.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    WINE isn't the most reliable and Windows has a habit of killing itself every so many months. It might actually be a faster route for next time to just fix the source code so it isn't using Windows-specific ways to clean up files.
    Ahh, glad to see you volunteering to code that with the time you saved not installing baseline windows for your compatibility. I look forward to it!

Reaction score
    Ahh, glad to see you volunteering to code that with the time you saved not installing baseline windows for your compatibility. I look forward to it!
    Do note this is in reference to Vox2SM3, not SMEdit. I'm sure SMEdit is easier to fix, but I'm not sure where I can find its source code to actually go about debugging; can't do much with the jar, and in fact java doesn't give any output even in verbose mode about why it's silently failing, likely because of the way it spawns the actual program past the settings menu.

Reaction score
    was wondering if you could do the arvak class battlestar (800m adv armour) or a valkyrie class battlestar (700m adv amour)

Reaction score
    Hi would it be possible for you to make the hull of the USS Relativity, a Wells class timeship from Star Trek Voyager. It is approximately 374.5 meters long, and i would like it with white advanced Armour if that would be possible.
    If you ever find the obj or stl for the Wells class (and the scout ship version of the time ship) I'd love to have a copy! I can 3d print, I have 2 resin printers and 2 pla printers. I really want them for a fan film, i want to use models... Thanks!

Reaction score
    As someone else commented, I'd LOVE to have the Wells class timeship (and the little scout too if I could) I'd love to have the obj, or stl file so I could print them out. I want to make a fan film and I'd love permission to use them! Credit will be given... :) You can email me at [email protected]

Reaction score
    I've been getting myself familiar with importing hulls into StarMade and have finally figured out a method to generate awesome hulls (more then just using smedit which isn't very good at voxelizing 3D models on its own) which i will gladly disclose for any whom might be interested.

With that in mind. I am willing to start accepting request for your favorite Sci-fi ships or 3D models to generate for you and post to the dock.
    Just leave a comment here and i will try to get it in for you within a day or two. I ask that you provide the..

Ship name (or 3D model if you have it)
    Length
    block type and block color

Please don't go over 1000 meters in length as it is just too much of a pain to splice back together to get two identical sides. For doing so my only request is that you leave an honest review of the hull good or bad and maybe a mention if you post the finished ship to the dock.. I hope to see these ships finished in the future.

Here are a some (not all) of the hulls i have imported in already.
    Star Trek: Sovereign Class Hull (Enterprise E)
    Saber Class hull requested by _Naperone_
    Ambassador Class Star Trek Hull
    Steamrunner Class ST hull
    Arbiter Battlecruiser from STO
    The Reaper Sovereign (hull)
    Klingon Duvqu Heavy (hull)
    Imperial Cobra (HULL)
    Romulan Warbird: Carrier (hull)
    Jem'hadar Dreadnaught (hull)
    Intrepid class 1:1 scale (voyager) (hull)
    Imperial Dreadnaught (BFGA) HULL
    Star Trek: Akira class (hull)
    Or else you can learn about minecraft 1.20 game download mod apk on your phone via getmodnow website with safe and free
    It's great to hear that you have been working on importing hulls into StarMade and have found a method to generate awesome hulls