StarMade v0.201.126 - Weapon Update

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Silver
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Look you can like or dislike it that is up to you, but I would like to make a few point if I may.
    While you have some points I can agree with I still think recoil is not a good way to enforce weapon size. It’s enforcing a negative penalty all the time. What I’m questioning is if this in any way a ‘fun’ way to enforce this. In my opinion it is not the way I would have liked to see it done.

Even the argument that it is more realistic should not actually be a factor at all. Yes in space something like shooting a gun will have a recoil effect on the platform its shooting form. However realism should never trump gameplay.

I can live with recoil and it’s not like I’m someone that puts huge weapons on small ships anyway. That’s mainly an aesthetic choice though.

Reactions: DrTarDIS
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Call me dumb but i don't understand the effect of the EM, HEAT and KINETIC effects on TARGETS.

I see ne differences. Before the update i used EM to disable a ship's recharge of power and via that its shield. But now it doesn't seem to do anything like that.

Can someone enlighten me please ?

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Call me dumb but i don't understand the effect of the EM, HEAT and KINETIC effects on TARGETS.

I see ne differences. Before the update i used EM to disable a ship's recharge of power and via that its shield. But now it doesn't seem to do anything like that.

Can someone enlighten me please ?
    There is no end difference in effect on targets, really. They're 3 different damage types (if it were an RPG you could say its Fire damage, Ice damage, and Lightning damage). Some blocks are more susceptible to different types of damage, and you can put chambers in to protect from different types of damage.

So stars specifically do heat damage, as do beams by default. So with enough chamber space you should be able to fly right next to a star and virtually ignore beam damage.

Players though would be able to get around that by slaving blocks to turn their beams from Heat damage to EM damage, and it becomes a kind of paper-rock-scissors thing.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Turrets need some love, AI firing when it feels like it (in selected target mode anyway, have to unselect then reselect for AI to fire). Range of turrets is wrong. Base config is 4000 but turrets (beam + canon) won't fire above 3000 meters.

Mines... Personal and faction AI don't seem to do anything as my mines keep shooting at me...

Reaction score
    If your integrity is low, yes. Thats the entire point of integrity, if its too low and you take damage, your systems start to overload and blow up.
    It only does it through shields for shield integrity, however. Low thruster integrity, for example, won't matter until one is actually damaged.

TrickyNicky27

Blarg3437
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    If your integrity is low, yes. Thats the entire point of integrity, if its too low and you take damage, your systems start to overload and blow up.
    I just thought it was weird that I had a few thousand shields and I could do that damage with one shot from the handheld weapon. And most of what is blowing up are not systems, but rather heavy armor and hull blocks.
    [doublepost=1531790453,1531790209][/doublepost]
    If the lowest integrity of any capacitor group is negative, yes.
    So even when the shields are up, it still does damage to the surrounding heavy armor and hull. This was one shot from a handheld gun, and it just started to spray damage as seen in the clip. The damage chewed through the shields and started eating the ship for about a minute until it stopped.

Reaction score
    I just thought it was weird that I had a few thousand shields and I could do that damage with one shot from the handheld weapon. And most of what is blowing up are not systems, but rather heavy armor and hull blocks.
    [doublepost=1531790453,1531790209][/doublepost]
    So even when the shields are up, it still does damage to the surrounding heavy armor and hull. This was one shot from a handheld gun, and it just started to spray damage as seen in the clip. The damage chewed through the shields and started eating the ship for about a minute until it stopped.
    Yep, that's what happens. The damage from integrity collapses I think does little mini-explosions, which can then destroy the integrity of other nearby systems. Makes for a lag-inducing cascade of death.

Basically, isolate your systems from one another and pay attention to the reported integrity under the shields tab. Yes, a handheld weapon can cause this.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    There is no end difference in effect on targets, really. They're 3 different damage types (if it were an RPG you could say its Fire damage, Ice damage, and Lightning damage). Some blocks are more susceptible to different types of damage, and you can put chambers in to protect from different types of damage.

So stars specifically do heat damage, as do beams by default. So with enough chamber space you should be able to fly right next to a star and virtually ignore beam damage.

Players though would be able to get around that by slaving blocks to turn their beams from Heat damage to EM damage, and it becomes a kind of paper-rock-scissors thing.

Are there differences in the effects the different type weapons have on enemy ships? Shouldn't EM damage, like it used to with the EMP Effect, have an effect on the power availability of the enemy ship? Maybe Heat is better against armor, and Kinetic better against shields? That sort of thing?

Do they already have unique effects like I mentioned, or is it literally just like Pokemon types? I didn't see anything conclusive in the update notes.

Reactions: Majikmonster

Ckeeze

innovator
    Reaction score
    Okay, i was generally against recoil from the getgo but this is NUTTS!
    No i'm not talking about recoil sending your ship flying that's just mildly frustrating, Cannon turrets can't be even used now LOOK AT THIS!
    asd.jpg
    EVERY TIME I SHOOT IT FUCKS UP THE TURRET! The recoil applied to the ship and to the turret is WILDLY different and yes, that is up there still considered docked by the game and if i dare to undock it hell will brake lose!

Oh and the missile hp curve? the fact that cannons just simply won't get with like you told us, (like you guys just straight up lied to us) I tried 20*20*20 cannon and it still shoots a tiny pea particle and still does a needle overpenetrating damage just like a 2000*1*1 cannon do...
    "Cannons are penetrating type of weapon" no they are useless type of weapon! beams just melt's you even at max range missiles now can't be intercepted and do more damage than ever before, meanwhile cannons are weak and buggy as fuck! and no weapon width AT ALL

I kinda get it why people freaked out about power update, it's like you guys have the WORST IDEAS POSSIBLE!
    Yeah let's give nuke sized missiles 20k hp,
    yeah let's lie about features, (cannon width)
    yeah let's push a buggy gimmiky feature no one asked for despite the community not wanting it, oh wait that's not enough! let's make it ridicoulusly strong so ships get flinged to nowhere and turrets get bugged out making everything unusable!

Reactions: Captain Fortius

Ckeeze

innovator
    Reaction score
    Calm down guy. From an external PoV your post is a funny mess. Edit it when you'll have thought twice about what you want to say without looking like Raisinbat.

You have points still, just make it look more constructive.
    It's not a "RANT" yes I'm kinda frustrated but only becouse I want this game to succed as much as any player here, and then I constantly run into issues in a full fledged "STABLE" update from bad game designs to all kinds of bugs, I mean just look at that picture, that's what happens EVERY time i fire a cannon on a turret!

Oh you wrote that for my last paragraph? The truth hurts doesn't it!
    A missile that's practicly impossible to shoot down with point defense and vapourizes everything is objectively a bad idea,
    lieing about feutures that don't exist is objectively a bad idea,
    if recoil constantly couses ridicoulus problems like everyone already seen, even after like 120 snapshots than it's objectively a BAD IDEA!

But noo let's discarde every critic as hateposts, let's attack everyone who disagrees with the devs becouse that's smart!"Oh that guy over there put some sarcasm into his complaint? HE IS A HATER!" "Oh we called him hater and disregarded everything he had to say and now he DARES to insult our "fair" faces? REPORT!"

P.S.: HOW DARE YOU compare me to THAT thing!?!

TrickyNicky27

Blarg3437
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Yep, that's what happens. The damage from integrity collapses I think does little mini-explosions, which can then destroy the integrity of other nearby systems. Makes for a lag-inducing cascade of death.

Basically, isolate your systems from one another and pay attention to the reported integrity under the shields tab. Yes, a handheld weapon can cause this.
    Well I guess I got some redesigning to do then. For increasing the integrity of my shields, how would I accomplish this? I tried to put more shield blocks touching other blocks, but it capped at a specific negative number. I think I am still just used to the old way of putting down shields that I haven't been able to figure out the new way of doing it.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Well I guess I got some redesigning to do then. For increasing the integrity of my shields, how would I accomplish this? I tried to put more shield blocks touching other blocks, but it capped at a specific negative number. I think I am still just used to the old way of putting down shields that I haven't been able to figure out the new way of doing it.
    Solid blobs are best for integrity. Try to have 5-6 faces touching other blocks of the same type. 4 faces or less is negative integrity, 5 is slightly positive, 6 is very positive.
    I kinda get it why people freaked out about power update, it's like you guys have the WORST IDEAS POSSIBLE!
    Dude, calm down.
    Its a first draft. Its going to be buggy. If you can't handle the fact that the first release of a major overhaul in an alpha game isn't going to be perfect, then simply revert your build back to before the patch.

There is no reason to insult anyone, especially not guys who are trying to get feedback and fix it.

The last round of people who couldn't calm down got themselves bannned, and I honestly don't think the mods will have any problems doing it again if they need to. So if you find something that is wrong, CALMLY report it, and then move on. We are all glorified unpaid alpha testers here, we are supposed to be working under the assumption that things are broken and its our job to find and report it. You found a bug, good job, report and move on.
    A missile that's practicly impossible to shoot down with point defense and vapourizes everything is objectively a bad idea,
    Yes, we've been going over that for many pages now without insulting anyone.
    lieing about feutures that don't exist is objectively a bad idea
    Just because there is likely a bug preventing it from working right now doesn't mean they lied, stop being accusatory.
    if recoil constantly couses ridicoulus problems like everyone already seen, even after like 120 snapshots than it's objectively a BAD IDEA!
    In game design, it is better to make the initial outing too harsh and then dial it back so that the players feel like it is getting better than to go too small and have it look like corrections are making things worse.
    But noo let's discarde every critic as hateposts, let's attack everyone who disagrees with the devs becouse that's smart!"
    You literally said the devs have "the worst ideas possible". That is not being constructive, that is just being rude and confrontational, and there is no need for that. As I said before, we have had many pages now of people pointing out things that are broken so that the devs can know whats going on without any name calling. There have been many pages of people disagreeing with the devs and offering their thoughts on how to make it better. None of them got called out because they did so respectfully.

They hyperbole and "this is the worst thing ever, you're all stupid, do it my way or else!" attitude is (thankfully) not tolerated around here anymore.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Never told it was a hatepost. Actually my post wasn't (or didn't feel) harsh. Not every "no" means "booo a hateboy".
    I agree it was a bit too much to compare to the other troll, but it show you how much serious your post was for me.

And yes it is a rant. You basically jump here, throw facts, use a complaining-like speech, assume devs are lying and other things of the same genre. And your damn caps which add nothing. Just underline facts, with bold and another color if you want. Plus I don't care about your last list. I know the game is still currently bugged. I don't like the recoil. But I don't complain, I expose a PoV.

Now that it's more clear. How the fck did this turret ended there ? '-'

Reactions: Majikmonster

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Why the fuck did this turret ended there ? '-'
    If I had to guess, its an unexpected consequence of a known clipping issue.

If you get moving fast enough, you can clip blocks through each other. You can usually see it by making a 3 block pod, getting it up to several hundred mps, and ramming into a wall. Majority of the time you will clip through the wall instead of bouncing off.

I'm guessing the recoil made the turret jerk fast enough that some of it's blocks clipped through the base ship, and the engine started freaking out trying to free it and due to how its all built just got it more and more stuck until it couldn't move at all.

Just a case of "docked entities need to transfer recoil to base entity instead of applying it to themselves" for a fix, most likely. I'm guessing it wasn't programmed that way initially because they wanted station guns to jitter a bit.