StarMade v0.201.126 - Weapon Update

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    When I hear stable, I think about something that has all of it's currently available content properly functioning.
    Just saying, I actually am a professional programmer (I write business software), and literally the only thing stable means in regards to a program is that it executes without crashing.

Reactions: Majikmonster
    Reaction score
    literally the only thing stable means in regards to a program is that it executes without crashing.
    That reminds me of the old joke about a programmer, who's wife told him to
    "Go down to the grocery shop and buy bread. If they have eggs, bring twelve."
    Later the programmer returned home with twelve loaves of bread.

If the script is stable from a technical standpoint, but not in it's function, then it is not stable. Well, maybe, "stable in it's flawedness"?
    Failure of script and failure of gameplay goes hand in hand, and as far as players are concerned, it matters very little if the game doesn't launch at all or if there's no point in launching it.

And, as Ckeeze's screenshots and story shows, that unstable functioning resulted in a situation that froze the game, so not even the programmer's definition of stability applies here.

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Just saying, I actually am a professional programmer (I write business software), and literally the only thing stable means in regards to a program is that it executes without crashing.
    Starmade cant do that

Reactions: Captain Fortius

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    should be able to have at least 90% stability (when it's fully done)
    Well yeah, when its fully done. We're in alpha, bugs and crashes are to be expected. The "make all the bugs and crashes go away" is literally what beta is for.

Nauvran

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Well yeah, when its fully done. We're in alpha, bugs and crashes are to be expected. The "make all the bugs and crashes go away" is literally what beta is for.
    Yes

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    We're at what I'd call "relatively stable" as in normal day to day activity such as placing a block or moving around doesn't cause the game to crash.

Stable is sort of to software what a smoke test is to hardware. "I turned it on, did I see a puff of magic black smoke? No, okay, it passed the smoke test. Now lets see if it actually WORKS."

Reaction score
    Shooting your guns seems like a pretty normal day to day activity.

aaaand I'm quoting myself now. yay.
    as far as players are concerned, it matters very little if the game doesn't launch at all or if there's no point in launching it.
    Your definition of stability may be a valid technical term in your work, but it is pointless in an environment with active users.
    Sure, this patch is stable enough to launch.
    It's not stable enough to play on. For me at least. Because one can set a thousand criteria on certain aspects and levels of stability.

Nauvran

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    FIX THE FUCKING INTEGRITY
    Thank you

Reaction score
    I use turrets A LOT and I have not had this happen. Every thing I have seen with turrets and recoil has been with the barrels bouncing up, and maybe the ship moves a little, but never seen the mount move. I might guess that it is because you used it on what looks like a very light ship, not that it shouldn't still be fixed. Obviously it shouldn't do that, but I have seen turrets get stuck like that in the old build without recoil, I just reset my turrets and it was fixed. So I am not sure recoil is the only culprit here.
    My question is; are there wedges or slabs on either the turret top or base (or on the mothership making contact with the turrets top or base). If yes, replace them all with full blocks~if the turret doesn't move at all, or you cant dock it, you've found the source of the clipping error. I call it 'rail-sleeving', and it does that. (like making docked glass and sliding it into a 3x3 wall hole with wedged corners... which looks epic but can cause ghosting as well)

If there are no wedges/slabs, then I digress and default to; yeah that's not right.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    So, I've been piddling around a little bit with this update. It's been a latest in a long line of frustration from StarMade. Allow me to give you some backstory, if I may. My son bought this game for me last year as a Father's Day present; he remembered I liked to play it way way back in the day when cannon and missiles were the only weapons and hull parts looked like quilts of riveted sheet metal, for texture. So I loaded it up and it was kinda fun, but I noticed no real playability. Build things. Mine things. Blow up things. Rinse, repeat. Meh, okay. So I get together with my son, who really wanted to play on a multiplayer server with me in StarMade, and we decide we'll spice things up a bit and weave a storyline into our gameplay and then make some YouTube videos telling the story. We hash out what we want the universe to have, would we allow anyone else in, and so on.

Back story done? Great. So I go to the community pages and download blueprints and whatnot, since we decided there will be oodles of NPCs in here. My son is working on his thing, so I'm the one largely doing the editing work. No problem--it's time consuming, as I work two jobs, but let's keep our eyes on the prize, here. Then along comes the power update. Since Steam doesn't permit us to turn off updates, all my block config stuff gets erased. Well, there's two weeks of work gone. A lesson learned. My son and I consult, and we decide to go ahead and use the new power update because it'll add in another dimension to the storytelling--new emerging technologies changing the balance of power in the galaxy. I like it. We can work with this. Now if only missiles can figure out how to actually lock onto a target... but I digress.

Now, in July of current year +1, I am literally three blueprints away from having our story world ready. Out comes the weapon update. This requires another conference, and it's a big one. Many bugs that were really bothering us were fixed, but many things we liked were being taken away. After a lengthy discussion and a few pots of coffee (root beer, for my son), we decide to give this new update a try.

Oh, good heavens. What a mess. I remember reading a post in here, last year. I don't remember who said it, but he was spot on: Schine are creating solutions for problems that didn't exist. So now we have ammo rules for rockets but not cannon. We have damage falloff for beams but not cannon. Missile launchers no longer work on structures using the old power system. I think I'm the only one that dislikes the new texture package (I kinda liked the "used universe" look of the previous package), and there are still no mobile factory ships, a main staple of many science fiction movies and series. I definitely liked the changes to armor, however, because the armor pool always seemed a bit odd, but structural hp made more sense to me than the reactor hp, since you should be able to kill a ship without gutting its power plant. Meh. Okay. I have creative differences with a game designer. Nothing new there, I suppose. I guess I should be thankful logic blocks all still work as advertised.

So, after another conference--wherein I told my son I would've just learned Blender if I knew this would take over a year to prepare for--we're finally on track to get playing and videoing. I'm now using a non-Steam version to avoid auto-updating. Unless it's absolutely mind-blowing, no more updates for me, thanks. I wanted to share how we decided to lock things in, to make the updates livable:
    • After fixing the block configs again, armor values got added to certain blocks that were deemed "sturdily built". Conversely, glass lost its armor rating.
    • Faction blocks piff into vapor if you shoot them with even a handgun (of course, a handgun has more dps than a single cannon block...). HP changed to 5000.
    • Impact recoil was left alone and weapon discharge recoil and cursor recoil was set to 0. Reason? We use rail guns. Gunpowder was so last millennium. The two NPC factions that might still use chemical accelerants learned all about recoilless cannon and recoil compensators.
    • Since NPC ships were not updated to fit the released updates forced on me (thanks, Schine. Did me a solid, there), missile-launching NPC ships using the old power supplies are being refit on a case-by-case basis to carry cannon or use new power systems. Ironically, all three baseline NPC factions have ships described as bombers but lack the AI to use the new bombs.
    • The death ray was changed back into a "sniper laser". Now NPCs can still use them. Besides, two charge-up weapons seemed a little redundant. I haven't tested it yet, but do AIs know how to use charge-up cannon at all?
    • Missile capacity was changed to linear, since there are a lot of missile frigates in the game, and we really like seeing the occasional Macross Missile Massacre (Macross Missile Massacre - TV Tropes).
    • Things actually require components to craft components, such as computers requiring motherboards to craft. All the prices were redone using composite and alloy mesh as a baseline, so there's something resembling an actual economy in-game.
    • Stabilizer distance was reduced to minimum. Reason being, they serve more as insulative jackets, cooling sleeves, magnetic bottles for anti-matter, etc.
    • Arc-lasers were changed a little to resemble the damage pulses that no one seemed to like, but were abundant in this game world we were building. As an aside, I saw a post here a few days ago mentioning they would like to see ship-borne melee weapons. You mean like the damage pulse weapons that were disabled???
    TL;DR: The update is a headache that requires lots of tweaking. I would have been happier if the power and weapon updates were left as optional dev builds until the whole thing is finished being made-over.

Reactions: Fays and MarkUS_5

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    TL;DR: The update is a headache that requires lots of tweaking. I would have been happier if the power and weapon updates were left as optional dev builds until the whole thing is finished being made-over.
    Well, now that you're off of Steam (a good move, I hate Steam with a burning passion):

Image1.jpg

You can revert to any previous build that you want. At any time you can just select a build prior to a release you weren't fond of and just play on that for as long as you want.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    You can revert to any previous build that you want. At any time you can just select a build prior to a release you weren't fond of and just play on that for as long as you want.
    Funny thing, that. I did revert to pre-power update. The mistake was, the blueprints I worked on and saved in that version are not backwards compatible despite not using any new power blocks. So, yeah. The door closed behind me on that one. 201.130 is where the buck stops unless they have a really awe-inspiring update.

(edited to correct a typo.)

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Funny thing, that. I did revert to pre-power update. The mistake was, the blueprints I worked on and saved in that version are not backwards compatible despite not using any new power blocks. So, yeah. The door closed behind me on that one. 200.300 is where the buck stops unless they have a really awe-inspiring update.
    Sorry to hear that.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Mmmmm
    0.201.130b

When jumping into a ship (F1 F8) or entering a core the movement is stuck as if i was stuck in a block. Can't turn the ship for a while (nearly a full minute).

Turret range is just under 3000 meters, no more. Using base config file.

Reaction score
    That reminds me of the old joke about a programmer, who's wife told him to
    "Go down to the grocery shop and buy bread. If they have eggs, bring twelve."
    Later the programmer returned home with twelve loaves of bread.

If the script is stable from a technical standpoint, but not in it's function, then it is not stable. Well, maybe, "stable in it's flawedness"?
    Failure of script and failure of gameplay goes hand in hand, and as far as players are concerned, it matters very little if the game doesn't launch at all or if there's no point in launching it.

And, as Ckeeze's screenshots and story shows, that unstable functioning resulted in a situation that froze the game, so not even the programmer's definition of stability applies here.
    The extra funny part of that joke is that there are several possible punchlines including 13 loaves, 1 loaf and 12 stolen eggs, ERROR MISSING TOKEN AFTER 'twelve', etc..

Anyways, I look forward to the next update, it seems like this one has some pretty rough edges. It's at a point where I am comfortable building ships, but I understand people wanting to avoid it when cannons/missiles are still unbalanced and cannons frustrating to use.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Likeable
    Well, now that you're off of Steam (a good move, I hate Steam with a burning passion)
    Seconded! Steam... more like steaming pile... Steam version control killed Terraria for my family. A server wrapper that lags two weeks+ behind game updates and an inability to stop the game updating immediately... genius frickin' myopic, clueless bean counter genius. Not having version control on my games was the last straw for me. I refuse to give them any more money much to my kids disappointment. Unlike my kids I'm old enough to know what it means to own and control both my computer and the software that runs on it. Screw Steam, (and all the other companies that think they can dictate how I use my computer and software.) I very much wish I had not linked my StarMade accounts with Steam. I very much hope the StarMade Devs don't go the clueless bean counter way and always keep Steam optional.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Well, now that you're off of Steam (a good move, I hate Steam with a burning passion):

View attachment 49652

You know that launcher is the same one you get on Steam, you can turn back the one on Steam the exact same way, and you can also tell Steam not to update the game. I don't know what your beef with Steam is and I don't really care, but don't bash Steam to simply bash Steam, make sure your facts are right.

Seconded! Steam... more like steaming pile... Steam version control killed Terraria for my family. A server wrapper that lags two weeks+ behind game updates and an inability to stop the game updating immediately... genius frickin' myopic, clueless bean counter genius. Not having version control on my games was the last straw for me. I refuse to give them any more money much to my kids disappointment. Unlike my kids I'm old enough to know what it means to own and control both my computer and the software that runs on it. Screw Steam, (and all the other companies that think they can dictate how I use my computer and software.) I very much wish I had not linked my StarMade accounts with Steam. I very much hope the StarMade Devs don't go the clueless bean counter way and always keep Steam optional.
    The same goes for you as for Edymnion. You may have a beef with Steam I don't care, I do care when you get your facts wrong. You have the same control over Starmade on Steam as you do if you get it from this web-sight, hell you can even run the one you get from Steam with out Steam being turned on.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    so anyone else try the volley fire? the amount of ridiculous kick vs focused or unfocused doesnt make sense. volley should be less hard pull with a bit more jank sure. but hold down volley fire and you cant keep the crosshair anywhere near the middle of the screen haha

tried to make a star destroyer fire pattern, focus and unfocused was like firing a rifle, wham, but not bad, could easily reaim before re-armed... but with volley fire it was like trying to hold a fire department water hose letting loose Hurricane Katrina. my huge ship spins almost out of control in a spiral firing away.