StarMade v0.19556 - New Gear Graphics and Bugfixes

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Loving all of the salt from people who thought it'd be kool to have their base right up next to a star.
    Its a great mixture of "Why cant I fly close to the sun anymore" and "The sun does explosive damage and hurts larger ships faster, that's not realistic." Here we see the ideal example of never satisfied players. Cause if it isn't the fleet update, all we're gonna do is complain.

But seriously, who the hell wants to fly close to a star? Unless you're doing a Danger Zone montage, why?

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Its a great mixture of "Why cant I fly close to the sun anymore" and "The sun does explosive damage and hurts larger ships faster, that's not realistic." Here we see the ideal example of never satisfied players. Cause if it isn't the fleet update, all we're gonna do is complain.

But seriously, who the hell wants to fly close to a star? Unless you're doing a Danger Zone montage, why?
    lol my faction bases are usually a sector outside the damage zone just to screw with people. :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Unless the sun has lockon solar flares I don't understand why the damage is huge and explosive. Make it shed armour and systems, not create massive holes in ships randomly.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I think of it as ship components overheating and blowing up...

Reaction score
    Add a 3rd percentage bar on the right and call it heat, each block can absorb a certain amount of sun damage till that heat bar fills, once your ship has reached 100% then chaos can happen.

Or introduce the fix when you introduce the problem, its like adding shield absorbers into a game and shields arent in it yet.

Ive tried mining planets near the center of the system, im just going to stay way clear now till this is fixed with a new block type

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    I think the atmospheres of planets should act like total shields against the sun outside certain conditions. :)

Reactions: Sven_The_Slayer

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I think the atmospheres of planets should act like total shields against the sun outside certain conditions. :)
    I think it does that already tbh, I've been surviving on a planet super close to the sun and it doesn't damage me like it does outside the atmosphere once the chunks are loaded. Unless something changed in the update, I haven't checked my level yet. ;)

Reaction score
    I find it a bit insulting if you think this is anything how the development process works in Schine. Suns needed to properly damage ships. Before they might have broken some blocks, and it stopped if you were not moving or were inside the star. Makes no sense.

I really don't see the issue with avoiding suns for the time being. I personally never made it a point to approach a sun because I didn't want to get damaged at all. Now it is even more of a threat and as you say, there is a bit of logic and common sense to how you should handle that.
    If you find that insulting or think I think that is how development actually works you need a sense of humour. :p (and maybe a little bit of sarcasm detection.)
    But yes, that is sometimes the impression I get when I see some of the decisions made.

And yes it is common sense not to fly directly into a sun and navigate around them, they should be billions of years old deadly balls of flaming hydrogen death. But the explosive effect was waaaaaaaaay over the top. We can modify the suns to suit us, but I notice a lack of an option to turn the explosive effect off. Also we've all experienced the game glitching out and throwing us into a sun. Be it magic or a bugged jump drive. My concern is people quitting the game when they lose a large ship they worked months on in seconds because block counts and reasons beyond their control. The old system they might die, the ship might be damaged but they still might be able to salvage it.

In saying that, people want more dangerous suns, then fine, let them up the damage themselves. I would lower it but again, no option I can see to neuter the explosive effect which is what I have an issue with. Also fine you want explosive effect then make it work consistently across any ship size.

If a 500m frigates side blows out and it's turrets eject then a small ship should be a cinder in a second. It being the reverse is the common sense and logic missing part I mentioned.

I mean check out these videos, including the a not the players fault glitch into the sun in the 2nd video:

Honestly how does this make any sense having it like this?

Anyways this is why I and everyone else is paying to play test this game, well those of us who have bought the game. To provide feedback. My feedback is explosive effect and larger ships taking more damage is stupid. ;)

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Seeing the ships destructions on the update video it looks like more like heavy meteor bombardment damage than sun damage. This effect may be used to events like meteor shower adding danger in space

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Also we've all experienced the game glitching out and throwing us into a sun. Be it magic or a bugged jump drive.
    There's no magic teleportation into the sun. There's no "bugged JD" that causes you to jump into the center of the sun. There is user error operating a JD in an extremely laggy environment, and there is misunderstanding of how the sun and sector borders interact (such as in the video you helpfully linked, where someone crosses the sector border into the sun sector).

My concern is people quitting the game when they lose a large ship they worked months on in seconds because block counts and reasons beyond their control.
    Then maybe people should save blueprints, and NOT fly something they cannot afford to lose? How is this any different than someone potentially losing their mega titan to a giant alpha strike?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hm Starmade is losing its playerbase, how could we bring in more players/keep the ones we currently have?
    I know!
    Lets make them lose most if not all of their weeks of work in under 30 seconds if they accidentally fly close to a sun. Ya sounds good.

Can anyone actually say they've never mistakenly strayed too close and been killed/hurt by the old suns? Seriously I'm all for stars being stars but last I checked Mercury wasn't getting noscoped by solar flares because it was too close.

~ On a side note I'm glad the sun is nice enough to give me a 5 second warning before obliterating me, such a sweet guy :)

Last edited:

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Hm Starmade is losing its playerbase, how could we bring in more players/keep the ones we currently have?
    I know!
    Lets make them lose most if not all of their weeks of work in under 30 seconds if they accidentally fly close to a sun. Ya sounds good.

Can anyone actually say they've never mistakenly strayed too close and been killed/hurt by the old suns? Seriously I'm all for stars being stars but last I checked Mercury wasn't getting noscoped by solar flares because it was too close.

~ On a side note I'm glad the sun is nice enough to give me a 5 second warning before obliterating me, such a sweet guy :)
    only time I have ever flown too close to a sun/star and died because of it was when I had "autopilot" on and didnt look where I was flying.
    Why would you even fly close to a star in the first place? Besides such giant balls of heat and fire are supposed to be dangerous, I don't see the problem with it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    only time I have ever flown too close to a sun/star and died because of it was when I had "autopilot" on and didnt look where I was flying.
    Why would you even fly close to a star in the first place? Besides such giant balls of heat and fire are supposed to be dangerous, I don't see the problem with it.
    Well some people just want a tan mate. It happens, its the pilots own stupid fault, however should it be Game Over [Click Here to Restart]?

Imagine I'm a noob, I just spent 3 or more weeks building my first big ship. I'm excited to go and kick some arse and explore the universe. I put all my resources into this project, days of droning away mining planets (the most boring part of the game). Being new and ignorant I don't look at my navigation course before traveling, and bam I jump into range of a sun and can't get away in the complementary 5 seconds. RIP in peace all that work. Would I start over, or would I ragequit and go play a less punishing game?

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    So? You could just as easily jumped in on top of a Pirate Station Alpha and gotten blasted to death... Space is dangerous; jumping blindly is even more dangerous.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    So? You could just as easily jumped in on top of a Pirate Station Alpha and gotten blasted to death... Space is dangerous; jumping blindly is even more dangerous.
    This is why I have a big ship. Can't fight a star. Not to mention pirates don't bypass shields.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    In two weeks we'll see how the devs balance, until then this debate is rather pointless. We'll see how things go then, and once we have the update and can see how it's balanced, we can go from there.