StarMade v0.19556 - New Gear Graphics and Bugfixes

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    In two weeks we'll see how the devs balance, until then this debate is rather pointless. We'll see how things go then, and once we have the update and can see how it's balanced, we can go from there.
    Maybe heat shields should've been added at the same time, or before they buffed the hell out of suns. Then there wouldn't be any debate.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Maybe heat shields should've been added at the same time, or before they buffed the hell out of suns. Then there wouldn't be any debate.
    Now that I can most definitely agree on, I would have rather had both added at the same time, even if that meant the sun buff happened in two weeks and this patch being just bug fixes.

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Ow! my coffee is hot, why dont we have heat protected tongues yet?!?
    they shouldn't have made hot coffee before we evolved heat resistant stuff in our tongues!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    they shouldn't have made hot coffee before we evolved heat resistant stuff in our tongues!
    Sarcasm detected, take precautions!
    It's not that I disagree with it being added, it's just if they're going to make a hazard and tell us that a defense or mitigation is in progress in my OPINION, the buff to suns should have been implimented with the system of mitigation that we were told was already in progress.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    They have heat shielding on the coffee cups, or handles on mugs so you can wait for it to cool down before drinking (or in Starmade terms charge a jump drive or fly away).

Nauvran

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    you know, I don't have any heat shielded coffee cups, and I burn my tongue and lips if I try to drink the coffee when it's straight from the kettle.
    it's exactly what's happening when you fly too close to a star, and you have to be somewhat of an idiot to not know to avoid a star.

hell even if we already had those heat shields we would have noobs flying straight into the stars and die, because they dont know about that shielding. so it wouldnt make much of a difference.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    you know, I don't have any heat shielded coffee cups, and I burn my tongue and lips if I try to drink the coffee when it's straight from the kettle.
    it's exactly what's happening when you fly too close to a star, and you have to be somewhat of an idiot to not know to avoid a star.

hell even if we already had those heat shields we would have noobs flying straight into the stars and die, because they dont know about that shielding. so it wouldnt make much of a difference.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!

Ok so my point on this:
    A) You shouldn't fly into a star, but mistakes can happen and it's now quite unforgiving when you do
    B) It's a big rude to buff them and tell you a mitigating factor is in progress but not add it, although I understand that it's not done yet.
    C) There should be a little of a margin of error for the mistakes that do happen.
    D) Suns should not be explosive.
    E) Hi.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Additionally if they added heat shielding, hopefully it'd be balanced so your big ship would have to sacrifice quite a bit of "kick ass" to survive suns anyway. No point in adding heat shields if they're just another thing to tack on to a ship...

Nauvran

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Ok so my point on this:
    A) You shouldn't fly into a star, but mistakes can happen and it's now quite unforgiving when you do
    B) It's a big rude to buff them and tell you a mitigating factor is in progress but not add it, although I understand that it's not done yet.
    C) There should be a little of a margin of error for the mistakes that do happen.
    D) Suns should not be explosive.
    E) Hi.
    it was unforgiving before too where it would kill you as the astronaut with that bug, now it just kills your ship instead.
    just watch where you fly and plan your jumping route properly?
    People are already accepting the exploding and saying it's your ship's systems exploding.
    hello

you should try to play elite dangerous, then you will know how unforgiving stars can be.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Well I'm gonna see how the devs implement the mitigation and then see what I think, good thing I'm focused on building right now and not flying into the sun. Until I finish my ship and then gonna recreate the end of Battlestar Galactica and bobby-AI all my ships into the sun.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    There's no magic teleportation into the sun. There's no "bugged JD" that causes you to jump into the center of the sun. There is user error operating a JD in an extremely laggy environment, and there is misunderstanding of how the sun and sector borders interact (such as in the video you helpfully linked, where someone crosses the sector border into the sun sector).
    Crossing a sector and then teleporting into a sun? Well that is still teleporting no? And I was not crossing a sector when the fighter teleported.
    We see this kind of stuff all the time on servers and single player. How is a new player supposed to understand all of this?

You think they will go? "Oh it's my fault I flew through space hit an invisible wall and ended up 4-6km away inside a star. My bad"
    or say
    "WTF!?!?!"

Actually I won't waste my time explaining to you Lelic, you're too blind eyed a fanboy and no logic ever gets through if it puts a bad light on anything related to SM and we will just go around in circles as always.

Keep on reading into things what you want to read mate, because I sure as heck will never be able to get you to read what is actually there. ;)
    ;)

Nauvran

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Crossing a sector and then teleporting into a sun? Well that is still teleporting no? And I was not crossing a sector when the fighter teleported.
    We see this kind of stuff all the time on servers and single player. How is a new player supposed to understand all of this?

You think they will go? "Oh it's my fault I flew through space hit an invisible wall and ended up 4-6km away inside a star. My bad"
    or say
    "WTF!?!?!"

Actually I won't waste my time explaining to you Lelic, you're too blind eyed a fanboy and no logic ever gets through if it puts a bad light on anything related to SM and we will just go around in circles as always.

Keep on reading into things what you want to read mate, because I sure as heck will never be able to get you to read what is actually there. ;)
    ;)
    being hostile like that doesn't help either.

Reactions: Lecic

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8

or say
    "WTF!?!?!"

;)
    You don't teleport 4/6km away inside a star, what? I've never seen that happen... The one thing that does happen is that when you move into the sun sector the inside-a-sun effect appears without any warning and it looks like you teleported inside a star. Schema has to fix that, or better yet just replace the crappy effect with just really bright white glare and bloom flooding the screen.

As for Lecic, he bitches at Schine more than I do. I'd hardly call him a fanboy :P

Last edited:

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    You think they will go? "Oh it's my fault I flew through space hit an invisible wall and ended up 4-6km away inside a star.
    I have played this game for years in both single and multi-player and that has literally never happened.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    I have played this game for years in both single and multi-player and that has literally never happened.
    Same here, I've never seen this happen as well. What I have seen happen is flying too close to the sun damage zone and the warning not popping up about it until it was too late.

Reaction score
    • Supporter
    • Master Builder Bronze
    Well it´s always the same here. The devs can do anything in an update and there´s at least a couple of people bitching about it. There´s not a single reason to not make stars deadly and everyone who says different is just lying to themself. The real discussion should be if ships have to be such a pain to replace or to repair. I always think that there could be something like a insurrance that doesnt´t require the player to farm all the blocks again. (maybe payed with faction points?)

Reactions: Urza der Gehasste
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Honestly, resources are so easy to come by, I don't understand why anyone wouldn't just have blueprints and a shipyard with enough materials to make any of their ships several times over. If what you're flying is ALL you have, stay away from unknown stations & suns like the plague. If you have the ability to replace your ship easily, then an expedition near the sun (for SCIENCE!) isn't debilitating. I have only once been nuked by a sun (on the old system) and have learned my lesson to stay far away since then; buffed up suns means that I won't be getting close anytime soon

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    So... It's apparently wrong that large ships with large cross sections catch more solar radiation than small ships with small cross sections.
    Make a note of it, guys, you heard it from RabidBat first.

Anyhow: Heat shielding should be extremely heavy (0.35 mass or so?) with very little armor value and relatively little HP for its mass, so as to balance it out. If you intend to use a star as a weapon against some dipshit that tries to follow you into its kill radius, there needs to be some sort of significant drawback, because seriously, stars are a lot more deadly than anything your ship can carry.

Also: Adding in a warning for border sectors on the edge of a star's kill radius would be good.

Reactions: Sven_The_Slayer