• Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I hope this means heat effect also!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Whooooo! Now we just gotta wait two weeks...

Mr. Sulu, plot a course around the sun to throw us into the future. Wait, what's that? We can't take the damage from the sun? Darn.... We better just wait till the new tech comes. In two weeks...
    Sigh.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1454203755,1454203684][/DOUBLEPOST]
    did I hear heat shields?
    Secret station base inside the star anyone? :D
    Yes, and it must pack more of a punch and weaponry as your largest build to date. I want that sun WEAPONIZED, son.
    Or just begin building a Dyson Sphere from Star Trek TNG. Cover the entire sun. Surround it.
    With weapons.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    This also provides the chance to answer the age old question as to whether large ships, or fighter squadrons, are better.
    I'm pretty sure that's already been pretty thoroughly answered.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well ...

I found a bug already, hehe

My character is holding the power supply beam even though its not selected in my inventory :P

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    is it the same like with the helmet bug,scroll over it fast and back and see if it goes away

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    That's what we like to call "very expensive."
    Losing is expensive; winning isn't... If fleets of large ships are better than a single even larger ship, that'd be probably the optimal thing to use... until you run into somebody's massive drone swarm :|

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Losing is expensive; winning isn't... If fleets of large ships are better than a single even larger ship, that'd be probably the optimal thing to use... until you run into somebody's massive drone swarm :|
    I meant it was expensive more in that no one will afford it reasonably. I mean, sure, you could TRY to make a fleet of 10 million block ships, but that'd be hilariously expensive, and definitely more than the average faction will be able to afford, especially once territory becomes a thing and you won't just be accumulating materials, since you'll constantly be spending on fleets to maintain your territory.

Reactions: Ithirahad

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    I meant it was expensive more in that no one will afford it reasonably. I mean, sure, you could TRY to make a fleet of 10 million block ships, but that'd be hilariously expensive, and definitely more than the average faction will be able to afford, especially once territory becomes a thing and you won't just be accumulating materials, since you'll constantly be spending on fleets to maintain your territory.
    I'm in the middle of building ships that are cheap and deadly for when the crew and fleet updates come out. The reason being is what you just mentioned and that your average faction isn't going to have much in the resources department. One thing I'm hoping we get is a way to send out mining fleets to faction owned territories and have them mine until full or in enough danger it isn't worth losing the cargo to fight. This way it'd give the smaller and less active factions an edge since they could just make a huge mining fleet and pop in on it every now and than to see how it is doing. Another thing I'm hoping those updates bring is a way to tell some crew how to run the shipyards so they can turn them on and start up construction of ships automatically, than send out fresh crew to crew them opening up the shipyard for another ship. :) Nothing like endless fleet production.

In any event the issue of losing being way more expensive than winning and sometimes not worth it needs to be fixed somehow in the next few updates or after them because things will get messy if there isn't some kind of fix for this problem.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I'm in the middle of building ships that are cheap and deadly for when the crew and fleet updates come out. The reason being is what you just mentioned and that your average faction isn't going to have much in the resources department. One thing I'm hoping we get is a way to send out mining fleets to faction owned territories and have them mine until full or in enough danger it isn't worth losing the cargo to fight. This way it'd give the smaller and less active factions an edge since they could just make a huge mining fleet and pop in on it every now and than to see how it is doing. Another thing I'm hoping those updates bring is a way to tell some crew how to run the shipyards so they can turn them on and start up construction of ships automatically, than send out fresh crew to crew them opening up the shipyard for another ship. :) Nothing like endless fleet production.
    Anything that boosts smaller factions will generally also boost larger factions. I'm going to assume there's also going to be something preventing single players from being important, because seriously, single players should not be important outside of singleplayer.

In any event the issue of losing being way more expensive than winning and sometimes not worth it needs to be fixed somehow in the next few updates or after them because things will get messy if there isn't some kind of fix for this problem.
    Losing will always be more expensive, and SHOULD be more expensive. Losing means you need to realize where you've gone wrong and improve your ships, tactics, and crew, not beg the devs to make losing less punishing.

And for christ's sake, can people stop putting all their eggs in one basket? If you can't afford to lose something in a battle, you shouldn't be fighting with it.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Hmm I'm more of the type that likes to murder the poor sap that does the "Flying what they can't afford to lose" thing. :P

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    As the game stands now, it's probably wiser to fly the biggest thing you can as long as it isn't crappy or not large enough to be competitive, regardless of whether or not you can afford a replacement at the time... Unlike in EvE or some other game the likelihood of losing a ship is in almost direct inverse proportion with the size of the ship.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    As the game stands now, it's probably wiser to fly the biggest thing you can as long as it isn't crappy or not large enough to be competitive, regardless of whether or not you can afford a replacement at the time... Unlike in EvE or some other game the likelihood of losing a ship is in almost direct inverse proportion with the size of the ship.
    From what I've seen, it's incredibly unwise in the longterm to fly something you can't afford to lose. I've seen solo serversiders quit the game after losing that 25 million block supertitan they worked so hard to get.

Reaction score
    Why oh why was sun damage boosted and explosive added to boot? And it seems backwards that larger ships take more damage, I'd think a larger ship would be better protected....... o_O

Suns seem to of been just fine at wrecking people who get too close already.

Man, would of rather seen Universe Simulation in it's current form working again in the patch than already deadly suns being made deadlier. :(

Hope the guns have a first person view and not just 3rd person, that would be a nice change. ;)

Reaction score
    I am pretty stoked when I think about the possibility the fleet system! This means you can build and command large fleets! With a few server optimizations it will be awesome.

This also provides the chance to answer the age old question as to whether large ships, or fighter squadrons, are better.
    IDK what the exact metric was but iirc A smaller group of ships at like...half? 3/4ths? the bigger ships mass will always win. Higher turn rate vs the bigger ship's slower turning speed is their death knell, from what I have seen. It's even worse if you get a bunch of small ships together and just dump all their thrust into forward/back. The only problem I see is getting enough together where they can actually do enough DPS to beat shield regen on the super big stuff, without lagging everyone to death. This probably will be a non issue with the simulation of fleets fighting that are unloaded though