StarMade v0.19556 - New Gear Graphics and Bugfixes

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    IMHO heat shields should extend the time before taking damage but not by any stupid amount that allows someone to park in the corona.
    Or at least have a penalty if you can, disable weapons and disable damage shields if heat shields are online?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Or at least have a penalty if you can, disable weapons and disable damage shields if heat shields are online?
    That would depend on how people feel about using the sun as a briar patch gambit as opposed to having some limited protection from sun damage.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    That would depend on how people feel about using the sun as a briar patch gambit as opposed to having some limited protection from sun damage.
    Ooh a Star Trek Nemesis reference, I like...
    IMHO I'd be willing to do that, use the sun as protection against foes who have not been properly outfitted against the sun... Pretend to be a ship in distress or something, lure them in to die and then salvage beam them before jumping away. Or just as a place to hide, they can't kill me if their weapons are offline because heat shield. It'd give at least temporary refuge in order for me to power on my jump drive and GTFOut of there. It's a trade off I'd be willing to make.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I would like it if heat shielding allowed your entire ship/station to be protected from the sun if you had enough of the blocks, but this would come at the cost of other systems on your ship. I feel this loss of systems gets balanced out by the fact that you can essentially use the sun as a weapon.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Taking advantage of 'terrain features' is a basic concept in both strategy and tactics. I don't see any problem with a briar patch or using a star as a weapon. It's a natural evolution of the system. If you have scuba gear, pull your enemy into the water. We see that sort of thing in movies all the time.

My problem is people who want to stay in the hot-zone. While it should be possible, it should be power intensive. Capital ships and stations might have the shielding for parking near a star, but smaller ships should only be able to stay a limited time before running out of power. Likewise, if you are in combat in a hot-zone, adding the additional power cost of heat shields will make things more difficult.

And still, heat shields or not you shouldn't be able to get to close. Flying thru a star should be a quick way to respawn.

On a side note, I've been playing this game for a year now. It has never once even occured to me to try and get close to a star. Duh, it's freaking dangerous. Don't you people watch movies? I have experienced heat damage before, but it was because of stupidity on my part. Yeah, I was pissed. But no one to blame but myself. I certainly did not blame Schine.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    And still, heat shields or not you shouldn't be able to get to close. Flying thru a star should be a quick way to respawn.

On a side note, I've been playing this game for a year now. It has never once even occured to me to try and get close to a star. Duh, it's freaking dangerous. Don't you people watch movies? I have experienced heat damage before, but it was because of stupidity on my part. Yeah, I was pissed. But no one to blame but myself. I certainly did not blame Schine.
    I flew through just to see what it would actually do in a fighter at about 120m/s. Was completely surprised that I lost a block or two instead of simply just exploding like I had flown into a giant bug zapper. That was during the NGF competition after I made my fighter.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I can see how 'off line' mining would be the plague that made people drive a screwdriver through your face, I guess I'm only thinking of local, like being able to drop off in the middle of 5 roids and have 5 ships hoover them up quick...

If I'm really honest, I would actually just appreciate a mining option on a Bobby AI, and then I'd like to have salvage turrets that can auto mine and harvest overheating ships I'm near... I'd prefer that to a fleet of miners but I don't think that's coming any time soon. :)

Reaction score
    Taking advantage of 'terrain features' is a basic concept in both strategy and tactics. I don't see any problem with a briar patch or using a star as a weapon. It's a natural evolution of the system. If you have scuba gear, pull your enemy into the water. We see that sort of thing in movies all the time.

My problem is people who want to stay in the hot-zone. While it should be possible, it should be power intensive. Capital ships and stations might have the shielding for parking near a star, but smaller ships should only be able to stay a limited time before running out of power. Likewise, if you are in combat in a hot-zone, adding the additional power cost of heat shields will make things more difficult.

Maybe disable or take away normal power generation(nothing about the dreaded fuel[which may do worse...]! Or solar panels!) when close enough to the sun with shielding on, and/or slowly(.1%/second) take down the powe cap (it would go back up with regen once you get out of the sun's effect)
    The closer you are to the sun, the greater the effects.
    Weapons would therefore be dangerous, because shields would need power to work at all.

it would be sort of like jamming, until you got to close, when it got close to cloaking! You couldn't stay there forever, but you could regroup a bit or do a close flyby to escape the op borg pirates(or the trading guild you accedentally swarmed). The perfect asteroid field for your han solo wanabes!

Reaction score
    Hello players,
    a new update is out:

StarMade News - StarMade v0.19556 - New Gear Graphics and Bugfixes

Thanks for playing StarMade,
    - schema and the Schine Team
    Well, With the sun damage update, I warped to a shop that looked safe but is was just in the sun's range and lost a huge ship that took a few days to make on the server i was playing on. ( sun damage/range was set to defualt on this server.) Dark Souls isn't even this heartless, at least Dark Souls lets you go back with saves, it doesn't send you back to the start of the game. Out of me and 7 of my friends who tried out starmade, I was the last one holding out for hope that this game would become playable. But: F this game. I ask my friends what we thought your game needed most and it was bug fix's , optimization, and to be more user friendly. So badly it needs those 3 things and nothing else for now. But what do you do? You make the game worse by adding a way for players to loose hours of work and its real easy for it to happen. And why do shops and asteroids spawn so close to a star to begin with? WTH. You need to fix the range of the sun damage and not have anything spawn so close to the sun. And don't say: " its up to the player to do that in the script". That is not being user friendly. If your not gonna make your game user friendly, then why are you even trying to make a game for others to play to begin with?

Top bugs/bad game designs that we talked about that i run into still, but I am not able to send a bug report. For? Reasons? (crash report crashes) IDK.

1: Placing a turret on a ship and the ship disappeared. We tried to look for last ship we entered. Oh wait, it was the turret. So we tried to use admin commands to search for them. Nope, Gone Witch once again took hours to make and gone. It happened to three of us. (Me and two of my friends.) This bug as far as I can tell, you haven't fix for a long time because it happened again to me recently.

2: Placing a station right at the border to another sector makes lag/fps drops and does all kinds of weird things. like everything that's docked to it will end up in a different sector. I LMFAO the 1st time this happaned but then it wasn't so funny the 2nd or 3rd time it happened and i hear other player complain about this all the time. Mostly to new player who don't make sure to spawn it in the center of the sector. (Not user friendly at all. This is something you have to fix. It turns a lot of new players away from the game.)

3: Mining a planet in orbit from a ship will make epic lag/fps drops. Single player or server, it don't mater. Fps drops for everyone. LOL (Just another thing you need to optimize but hasn't yet.)

4: Planets use way to much CPU. (Just another thing you need to optimize but hasn't yet. )

5: Having half blocks under your ship and land on a planet, made even more lag then normal. (I just find this out this week, and I'm not the only one)

6: Your game crashes sometimes for no reason (as far as me and my friends can tell), and then the send bug report option crashes half way through too. (This doesn't happen as much now, as it use to. But it still happens every now and then. -_- )

Bugs and bad optimization is the reason all eight of us stopped playing. There is so many other optimization issues that need to be fix that i haven't listed. And I'm not trying to be mean with this either but rather trying to help.
    Your game is almost unplayable as it is now. But i remember how long Minecraft took for them to get their act together so Ill come back and check on the game in a half a year to see if you did bug fix's and optimized it. If you did this I'd gladly pay $20-$40 for your game when it comes out and some of my friends said they'd probably too. As for half of us say that they won't . (you lost them for good) : (
    And for Starmade's future I hope you see this post.

Hello players,
    a new update is out:

StarMade News - StarMade v0.19556 - New Gear Graphics and Bugfixes

Thanks for playing StarMade,
    - schema and the Schine Team

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Well, With the sun damage update, I warped to a shop that looked safe but is was just in the sun's range and lost a huge ship that took a few days to make on the server i was playing on. ( sun damage/range was set to defualt on this server.) Dark Souls isn't even this heartless, at least Dark Souls lets you go back with saves, it doesn't send you back to the start of the game. Out of me and 7 of my friends who tried out starmade, I was the last one holding out for hope that this game would become playable. But: F this game. I ask my friends what we thought your game needed most and it was bug fix's , optimization, and to be more user friendly. So badly it needs those 3 things and nothing else for now. But what do you do? You make the game worse by adding a way for players to loose hours of work and its real easy for it to happen. And why do shops and asteroids spawn so close to a star to begin with? WTH. You need to fix the range of the sun damage and not have anything spawn so close to the sun. And don't say: " its up to the player to do that in the script". That is not being user friendly. If your not gonna make your game user friendly, then why are you even trying to make a game for others to play to begin with?

Top bugs/bad game designs that we talked about that i run into still, but I am not able to send a bug report. For? Reasons? (crash report crashes) IDK.

1: Placing a turret on a ship and the ship disappeared. We tried to look for last ship we entered. Oh wait, it was the turret. So we tried to use admin commands to search for them. Nope, Gone Witch once again took hours to make and gone. It happened to three of us. (Me and two of my friends.) This bug as far as I can tell, you haven't fix for a long time because it happened again to me recently.

2: Placing a station right at the border to another sector makes lag/fps drops and does all kinds of weird things. like everything that's docked to it will end up in a different sector. I LMFAO the 1st time this happaned but then it wasn't so funny the 2nd or 3rd time it happened and i hear other player complain about this all the time. Mostly to new player who don't make sure to spawn it in the center of the sector. (Not user friendly at all. This is something you have to fix. It turns a lot of new players away from the game.)

3: Mining a planet in orbit from a ship will make epic lag/fps drops. Single player or server, it don't mater. Fps drops for everyone. LOL (Just another thing you need to optimize but hasn't yet.)

4: Planets use way to much CPU. (Just another thing you need to optimize but hasn't yet. )

5: Having half blocks under your ship and land on a planet, made even more lag then normal. (I just find this out this week, and I'm not the only one)

6: Your game crashes sometimes for no reason (as far as me and my friends can tell), and then the send bug report option crashes half way through too. (This doesn't happen as much now, as it use to. But it still happens every now and then. -_- )

Bugs and bad optimization is the reason all eight of us stopped playing. There is so many other optimization issues that need to be fix that i haven't listed. And I'm not trying to be mean with this either but rather trying to help.
    Your game is almost unplayable as it is now. But i remember how long Minecraft took for them to get their act together so Ill come back and check on the game in a half a year to see if you did bug fix's and optimized it. If you did this I'd gladly pay $20-$40 for your game when it comes out and some of my friends said they'd probably too. As for half of us say that they won't . (you lost them for good) : (
    STOP YELLING!!!!!

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score

this
    game
    is
    in
    alpha

Oh hey, I can use bold too!

The game is in alpha. That means the devs are working on makign the game work as a game before optimizing. This has always been the plan.

Keep backups of the world. Mine is set to backup automatically every wednesday.

Sectors are big complicated things that make everything more complicated than just fixing it.

When was the last time you tried? Iirc, this was made better

No shit. it's a fucking planet. Millions of blocks. What'd you expect out of an alpha game?

I only use half blocks for landing gear, and have never experienced this lag you talk about.

It's an alpha. Lag is inherent in that.

Everyone has made a post like this. I've made some. But then you play the game long enough and realize that there is no real game to play, and that them focusing on gameplay is probably most important.

Might I add, that these changes were probably very easy to implement, just a variation of the existing sun damage ray casting system, but rather than destroying a single block, it uses the missile damage code.

Reaction score
    this
    game
    is
    in
    alpha

Oh hey, I can use bold too!

The game is in alpha. That means the devs are working on makign the game work as a game before optimizing. This has always been the plan.

Keep backups of the world. Mine is set to backup automatically every wednesday.

Sectors are big complicated things that make everything more complicated than just fixing it.

When was the last time you tried? Iirc, this was made better

No shit. it's a fucking planet. Millions of blocks. What'd you expect out of an alpha game?

I only use half blocks for landing gear, and have never experienced this lag you talk about.

It's an alpha. Lag is inherent in that.

Everyone has made a post like this. I've made some. But then you play the game long enough and realize that there is no real game to play, and that them focusing on gameplay is probably most important.

Might I add, that these changes were probably very easy to implement, just a variation of the existing sun damage ray casting system, but rather than destroying a single block, it uses the missile damage code.
    Yeah. I'm sorry. I didn't realized it was in bold. I copy'n past a few words from wiki cause i forgot how to spell for a sec. LOL

As for the rest of your reply.
    1# I acknowledged the fact that the game was in alpha.
    2# You cant keep save backups on servers. So that would only work for single player games.
    3# The fact that all my friend and other new players stopped playing for reason other the more game play has some weight to it.
    With all that plus some common sense, your reply with that GIF, just comes off as "really rude" more then anything else. Even more so, because you didn't really have any real strong points of argument or helpful info. (Witch you probably don't care what i think to begin with.)
    ( I was mostly venting)
    I know I made this as a post in the forums and didn't sent it to them, that i didn't expect them to reply nor would they feel the need to reply, as it was, I hoped they read it. But thanks for replying on their behalf as a ass clown.

As for half blocks :
    you using them as landing gear, how do you have them placed? We found it makes a difference on placement for it when we were testing it. Plus i wasn't the only one with it happened to, friend had same issues.

If your next reply isn't any better then your first, i just wont say anything, cause you aren't wroth it a that point.

Last edited:

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    You make the game worse by adding a way for players to loose hours of work and its real easy for it to happen.
    You do realize you could just as easily die to the sun before when it murdered astronauts in the core, right? Hell, I'd say the death from being in the middle of the sun was FASTER when it did that.

That would be because you're making the bounding boxes overlap more. tl;dr don't land on planets anyway

therimmer96

Reaction score
    With all that plus some common sense, your reply with that GIF, just comes off as "really rude" more then anything else. Even more so, because you didn't really have any real strong points of argument or helpful info. (Witch you probably don't care what i think to begin with.)
    What gif? My sig? That's not part of the reply, hence the dotted line... I have zero control over which image you see, its randomly selecting from a list every time the page is loaded.

you using them as landing gear, how do you have them placed? We found it makes a difference on placement for it when we were testing it. Plus i wasn't the only one with it happened to, friend had same issues.
    I have them placed "upside down", if that makes sense.

If your next reply isn't any better then your first, i just wont say anything, cause you aren't wroth it a that point.
    What's wrong with it? I pointed out the game is in alpha, and how the game needs to get through this stage of alpha and shitiness first. There is a reason they're not selling the game for full price, and not forcing you to buy it.

Reaction score
    What gif? My sig? That's not part of the reply, hence the dotted line... I have zero control over which image you see, its randomly selecting from a list every time the page is loaded.

I have them placed "upside down", if that makes sense.

What's wrong with it? I pointed out the game is in alpha, and how the game needs to get through this stage of alpha and shitiness first. There is a reason they're not selling the game for full price, and not forcing you to buy it.
    1st. sorry. grey dotted line with grey background, hard to see with lights off cause people are asleep.

Just Wow. WOW man. At least "Lecic" said something useful even though I already know why the half block was making more lag.You just don't get how letting players play a game in alpha works. WOW. I'll say this, but then I'm done with you. LOL
    Letting people play your game in alpha is so the players can help you grow and make the game better. by finding bugs and game flaws and give input on how the game can become better. its also to helps to build hype in most cases. You know, the sort of the things i have in my 1st post. The fact that the game is in alpha is not the excuse or to be used as a excuse, its the reason i came here "To Inform". I am not going to say anymore on this. you have a brain, you can use common sense and figure it out like a big boy for yourself, or just pretend I'm saying your the greatest person in the world, with all the brains. you got it all man. now go win at life you.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    1st. sorry. grey dotted line with grey background, hard to see with lights off cause people are asleep.

Just Wow. WOW man. At least "Lecic" said something useful even though I already know why the half block was making more lag.You just don't get how letting players play a game in alpha works. WOW. I'll say this, but then I'm done with you. LOL
    Letting people play your game in alpha is so the players can help you grow and make the game better. by finding bugs and game flaws and give input on how the game can become better. its also to helps to build hype in most cases. You know, the sort of the things i have in my 1st post. The fact that the game is in alpha is not the excuse or to be used as a excuse, its the reason i came here "To Inform". I am not going to say anymore on this. you have a brain, you can use common sense and figure it out like a big boy for yourself, or just pretend I'm saying your the greatest person in the world, with all the brains. you got it all man. now go win at life you.
    God damn it -__-

YOU CAN REPORT BUGS. Its not like they don't want you to, or ignore it. It's just not the focus until beta. That's all I was saying. Most of the issues you're talking about are old, and caused by the deep systems in how the game works, like sectors.

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    AlVonWolf

I think you should go back to bed and come back when you're in a better mood.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Sector borders are gonna be hell to fix. Essentially your thing only exists in a single sector, and any part overlapping isn't 'actually' in the other sector if that makes sense; instead it just appears to be in that sector by overlapping across the border. If I remember correctly, it creates a sort of second 'shadow' copy of the entity to recieve things like collision and damage in the other sector, but that isn't given full capability/features because otherwise you would essentially have TWO of your entity and thus 2x the lag. Sector issues are hard to fix because sectors were designed to be their own 'mini-universe' for a lot of aspects of the game's back end, so things between them are just going to act strangely; although there presumably are ways to fix the issues they are complicated and may create worse issues than they are intended to fix, unless it's done very carefully and with a lot of testing.

Collisions with planets are just like smashing your ship into a massive ship; just the sheer number of chunks that have to be checked even before checking individual blocks, is going to cause lag. There may be ways to mitigate this, but again the system has to be handled carefully if you don't want people glitching through planet segments and getting stuck inside caves or whatever. It's probably wiser to work on things like the upcoming fleet system and other things to add more gameplay to the game, than spend months trying to fix things that might be changed anyway.
    For the record, Schine recently recieved a new dev who seems to have experience with a very different sort of voxel planet... Massive changes may well come to planets in the next few months. It would be quite a waste if the current planets were optimized for a month only to be replaced, wouldn't it...

As others said, the game is in alpha. Don't expect release quality, or even beta quality and rate of improvement.

As for sun damage, I'd say the only issue is that stations and shops spawn in burn radius, which is annoying. The actual system's alright.

Last edited: