StarMade v0.19556 - New Gear Graphics and Bugfixes

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Requested by who exactly? I've not seen anyone request exploding suns, see plenty of players regularly get killed by them.
    Tons of people have requested deadlier suns...

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I wanted deadlier suns but in a semi-reasonable manner with a way to get around the danger. XD If anything they should be even deadlier than they are now. :P

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Serious Dev "Hey guys this is broken should we fix it and maybe add some gameplay?"
    Troll Dev "Nah let's make suns explode big ships because purple and a couple of forum dwellers"
    Serious Dev "Maybe we should add heat shields at the same time or give blocks a heat resistence rating or something that makes sense?"
    Troll Dev "LOL Why? That can wait a few more months surely."
    Serious Dev "But what about the 50 people playing the game right now online? They might not like it."
    Troll Dev "Sorry, but 5 regulars on the forum said to add it so we're going to."

I find it a bit insulting if you think this is anything how the development process works in Schine. Suns needed to properly damage ships. Before they might have broken some blocks, and it stopped if you were not moving or were inside the star. Makes no sense.

I really don't see the issue with avoiding suns for the time being. I personally never made it a point to approach a sun because I didn't want to get damaged at all. Now it is even more of a threat and as you say, there is a bit of logic and common sense to how you should handle that.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    lol Criss there are people like me parked in systems near the kill zones of suns. I think attacking my bases is one of the reasons people hate the update to the suns now. XD

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I have to agree with Criss. It is logical to assume man made objects are not meant to go into suns... Why would you want to??? Plus, a lot of work goes into each update, its really mean to assume that they just don't care. Why is it so annoying to not be able to fly into suns?? I agree that the system could be better than a damage scale, where small ships do have an advantage, but its just common sense not to fly into flaming balls of gas and pressure.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I have a feeling that the boost to suns was just a little content to hold us over while Schema continues to implement fleet features.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I enjoy the deadlier suns, fighter battles near suns are a lot more fun because you have to be really careful.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    I have a feeling that the boost to suns was just a little content to hold us over while Schema continues to implement fleet features.
    lol time to make a new sun fishing ship to deal with the new suns. :P

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    How about highlighting the sun damage sectors in the galaxy map so when you plot a waypoint you can make sure it doesn't cross a danger area?

Or maybe even a warning that appears if your waypoint path intersects a known danger?

Reactions: SchnellBier

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Found some sun damage related bugs:
    1. Sun Damage can sometimes kill collision with a ship core
    2. Sun damage isn't damaging stations correctly based on their mass
    3. Sun damage causes waves to spawn from AI faction stations and the waves of ships think you caused the damage (EX: Shop next to sun takes damage from sun and thinks you shot it when you didn't and sends out waves, same thing with pirate stations)
    4. Damage scaling is a bit crazy at the moment so much so that a tiny ship can make it through a sun but a larger ship dies well before it makes it out of damage range.
    I'm likely to find more later but I'll post these in the support section as well. :)

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Nice update, tbh I think the explosive scaling is actually pretty realistic, a smaller ship has less components that could be overheated by the sun, allowing it to live relatively as long a a bigger ship with more overheatable components. *thumbs up!*

Also nice work on the textures (kupu ?)! They look really good, and the models too, so thanks to whoever made those happen too! :P

Reactions: kupu
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Nice update, tbh I think the explosive scaling is actually pretty realistic, a smaller ship has less components that could be overheated by the sun, allowing it to live relatively as long a a bigger ship with more overheatable components. *thumbs up!*

Also nice work on the textures (kupu ?)! They look really good, and the models too, so thanks to whoever made those happen too! :p
    Right? The new shields look so nice as well. I'm fairly sure Saber is in charge of the models but he can prove me wrong if he likes.

Reaction score
    For the record, small ships do not have an advantage. They will loose their HP at the same rate as a large ship. Thats why the damage scales to block count. That was the goal.
    I like the suns being more of a hazard now, but still...
    The way I read the news post, and now your post about HP being burned at the same rate, taking the camp fire analogy I posted earlier, it sounds as if at least for unprotected ships the "tiny twig" would last just as long as the "massive log". Please correct me if I got that wrong, but if that's the way it is planned, then I think that just feels counterintuitive.

That's just theory so far based on the release announcement, I have not yet tested it in game (why would someone want to intentionally fly into the sun...)
    A way I could see it balanced would be with the heat protection that was announced: a small ship requires less blocks in total to be covered all around. However, regarding the ratio of protection blocks to protected blocks, it would receive a far greater relative amount, thus shielding a large ship would be exponentially more expensive than protecting a small ship.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    That's just theory so far based on the release announcement, I have not yet tested it in game (why would someone want to intentionally fly into the sun...)
    Because SCIENCE!!!

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I like the suns being more of a hazard now, but still...
    The way I read the news post, and now your post about HP being burned at the same rate, taking the camp fire analogy I posted earlier, it sounds as if at least for unprotected ships the "tiny twig" would last just as long as the "massive log". Please correct me if I got that wrong, but if that's the way it is planned, then I think that just feels counterintuitive.

A way I could see it balanced would be with the heat protection that was announced: a small ship requires less blocks in total to be covered all around. However, regarding the ratio of protection blocks to protected blocks, it would receive a far greater relative amount, thus shielding a large ship would be exponentially more expensive than protecting a small ship.
    I've flown two ships into the sun so far, an old copy of Skylords Venator (the biggest ship in my catalog) and my frigate. The Venator was inside the sun so long I got bored and deleted it. My frigate was crippled before it popped out the other side at full thrust. It wasn't destroyed but it could only fly at about 1/2 thrust and it's health was 60%. So it seems there might be a plateau where ships can just be so big the damage cannot scale accordingly.

Last edited:

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Loving all of the salt from people who thought it'd be kool to have their base right up next to a star.

Reactions: Criss