Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I am happy to report that we at SMEdit have not only received huge support for the continued development of SMEdit but we have also received about (close enough anyways) 10 percent of the over all membership registered here on starmadedock.net to also register on the SMEdit site showing their support.

This has informed me that the development of the SMEdit application needs to be strong and that I need to focus on not only repairing our now non functioning features, but we need to step up on added features such as blueprint to schematic conversions and many more user requested features. I will indeed be getting on adding everything we have been wanting, and to celebrate SMEdit is once again open to the public to download, and I have added SMEdit to the community content here on starmadedock.net. I will update that file to download so users don't HAVE to register on the main support site to use the application. (the file is also again open to the public on the main support site.)

I am very glad that SMEdit is a desired and needed continued development for the StarMade community, and I am very glad to be continuing this development for the community.

Here is the file location here on starmadedock.net
    http://starmadedock.net/content/smedit.1023/

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    D; if only the .15 ships could be fixed within the next 5 days....I really wanna paint my ship black for the trailer submission contest

Reaction score
    Is this compatible with the current version of starmade? I put this in my folder and it doesn't open, java opens on my task manager for like 0.5 seconds then closes. Or am I doing something wrong?

Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Is this compatible with the current version of starmade? I put this in my folder and it doesn't open, java opens on my task manager for like 0.5 seconds then closes. Or am I doing something wrong?
    I you have ran SMEdit before you may need to remove your .josm file located in

C:/Users/*your login to your computer*/.josm

might need to delete that file and let it make a new one before it will start up as a ton of changes were made to how it starts up. Hope that helps.

Reaction score
    I don't know why but each time I start SMEdit I must delete the .josm afterwards if I want to start it again.

Also every time I tries to open a blueprint it give's me the following error message : Unhandled exception in thread Open ''name of the ship''

and I have this when I open the Log
    [SEVERE] Fri Aug 15 11:52:59 EDT 2014: Exception: Unhandled exception in thread Open SST_Dropship: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unknown tag type '-3'
    at jo.sm.ent.logic.TagLogic.readValue(TagLogic.java:186)
    at jo.sm.ent.logic.TagLogic.readValue(TagLogic.java:196)
    at jo.sm.ent.logic.TagLogic.readFile(TagLogic.java:64)
    at jo.sm.ship.logic.MetaLogic.readFile(MetaLogic.java:75)
    at jo.sm.logic.BlueprintLogic.readBlueprint(BlueprintLogic.java:108)
    at jo.sm.logic.BlueprintLogic.readBlueprint(BlueprintLogic.java:88)
    at jo.sm.ui.logic.ShipTreeLogic.loadShip(ShipTreeLogic.java:143)
    at jo.sm.ui.act.file.OpenExistingAction1$1.run(OpenExistingAction1.java:56)
    at jo.sm.logic.RunnableLogic$1.run(RunnableLogic.java:37)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Also every time I tries to open a blueprint it give's me the following error message : Unhandled exception in thread Open ''name of the ship''

[SEVERE] Fri Aug 15 11:52:59 EDT 2014: Exception: Unhandled exception in thread Open SST_Dropship: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unknown tag type '-3'
    I have the same problem :/

Reaction score
    I am getting this error with 1.391:
    Code:
    [SEVERE] Sat Aug 16 21:41:10 EDT 2014: Exception: Unhandled exception in thread main: java.lang.ArithmeticException: / by zero
       at jo.sm.ui.BlockTypeColors.loadTextureMaps(BlockTypeColors.java:747)
       at jo.sm.ui.BlockTypeColors.loadBlockIcons(BlockTypeColors.java:692)
       at jo.sm.ui.BlockTypeColors.getBlockImage(BlockTypeColors.java:665)
       at jo.sm.ui.EditPanel.newButton(EditPanel.java:381)
       at jo.sm.ui.EditPanel.initComponents(EditPanel.java:151)
       at jo.sm.ui.EditPanel.<init>(EditPanel.java:99)
       at jo.sm.ui.RenderFrame.<init>(RenderFrame.java:220)
       at jo.sm.ui.RenderFrame.startup(RenderFrame.java:136)
       at jo.sm.ui.RenderFrame.main(RenderFrame.java:117)

Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I don't know why but each time I start SMEdit I must delete the .josm afterwards if I want to start it again.

I have the same problem :/
    I am getting this error with 1.391:
    Code:
    [SEVERE] Sat Aug 16 21:41:10 EDT 2014: Exception: Unhandled exception in thread main: java.lang.ArithmeticException: / by zero
       at jo.sm.ui.BlockTypeColors.loadTextureMaps(BlockTypeColors.java:747)
       at jo.sm.ui.BlockTypeColors.loadBlockIcons(BlockTypeColors.java:692)
       at jo.sm.ui.BlockTypeColors.getBlockImage(BlockTypeColors.java:665)
       at jo.sm.ui.EditPanel.newButton(EditPanel.java:381)
       at jo.sm.ui.EditPanel.initComponents(EditPanel.java:151)
       at jo.sm.ui.EditPanel.<init>(EditPanel.java:99)
       at jo.sm.ui.RenderFrame.<init>(RenderFrame.java:220)
       at jo.sm.ui.RenderFrame.startup(RenderFrame.java:136)
       at jo.sm.ui.RenderFrame.main(RenderFrame.java:117)
    Thank you all for your support, but SMEdit is an older development that I took up from the original developer and was developed for the blueprints in game version 0.9 and below. So any editing in game on new game versions will make the blueprint not be able to be opened or edited using SMEdit. You would need to download a copy of the 0.9 version of the game to run and do in game editing of the blueprint so that SMEdit could still open it later.

I am working to resolve this problem and make it so that our application does edit the blueprints that are made in the game now, but there is a ton of files that have to be changed and its just being annoying right now.

The game can still open and use the blueprints that are made by SMEdit so for now SMEdit is best as a blueprint creator rather than a blueprint editing tool.

I will get all of this up to date as soon as I can

remember you can download the older version of the game from the starmade web site and run it to edit SMEdit blueprints in game and still use them in SMEdit later, and they will load into the new game once you are done with them.

http://files.star-made.org/build/starmade-build_20131114_171141.zip

Unzip this in a folder of its own inside the folder should be only the main StarMade folder. Put with it the star made.exe that starts the game. When you start it and it asks you to update the game don’t do it just start it. This will allow you to run the older version of the game.

Sorry for the problems.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Thanks for the info Bobby yeah the 0.9 version of the game is the version that SMEdit ran best on. I can't wait until the game developer unlocks the code we need in the source so that we can use that math for opening (reading) and saving new blueprints.

Reaction score
    Starmade prayer.

Please guild Schema to bestow Bobby Bighoof the super secret magic math code to unlock the new ship file data. That way we can change the color of our ships and stuff.

amen and or shake & bake

Reactions: MrTargareyan
    Reaction score
    Starmade prayer.

Please guild Schema to bestow Bobby Bighoof the super secret magic math code to unlock the new ship file data. That way we can change the color of our ships and stuff.

amen and or shake & bake
    Amen

Reaction score
    mac just crashes as soon as i press "start SMedit". sadness, it did that in the old version as well....

Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Starmade prayer.

amen and or shake & bake
    Amen

Reaction score
    "Could not create the java virtual machine"

It's also probably worth mentioning that 'jo_plugins' is empty, though the other files seem to have been generated just fine.

I made my ship backwards... Granted it wouldn't be massively difficult to rebuild it to be the right way round, it's still something I'd rather avoid.

Reaction score

It's also probably worth mentioning that 'jo_plugins' is empty, though the other files seem to have been generated just fine.

I made my ship backwards... Granted it wouldn't be massively difficult to rebuild it to be the right way round, it's still something I'd rather avoid.
    My issue is that i cannot load my large ships despite designating more ram

Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 2

all files load to "StarMade/third-party/SMEdit" not to "jo_plugin"
    Also I would check the java you have installed if you have 2 java versions installed it might cause a conflict and if you have both 64 bit and 32 bit installed it too might cause a conflict. All of that would stop you from being able to start the application. The application needs to start before it can download the resources needed to the third-party folder.

My issue is that i cannot load my large ships despite designating more ram
    SMEdit can not open new blueprints made in the game as of version 0.09473 we on game version 0.1703.

The SMEdit application can make blueprints that can be used in the game. The game can still load them, but SMEdit can not open anything made in game now.

I am waiting on math from the game developer to be unlocked in his code so that we can use it to load new blueprints. All we can do is wait for the code we need at this point.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    What exactly do you need? Just wondering because the changes to the file format have been known for months.

Reaction score
    all files load to "StarMade/third-party/SMEdit" not to "jo_plugin"
    Also I would check the java you have installed if you have 2 java versions installed it might cause a conflict and if you have both 64 bit and 32 bit installed it too might cause a conflict. All of that would stop you from being able to start the application. The application needs to start before it can download the resources needed to the third-party folder.
    Oh hey, you're quite right. Third Party / SMedit does indeed have a bunch of files and folders. Starting SMedit it still gives the virtual machine error, though. I'm not sure if I have multiple versions of java installed. I'm bound to have 64-bit since I run a 64-bit system, but it's possible that I installed 32-bit in order to run certain other applications. I'll dig around.

If you have any other suggestions as to what might be the problem then shoot.

EDIT

Scratch that. I removed 32-bit Java and SMedit has decided to start. You're a star.

EDIT EDIT

Tried rolling back to an older version to get an old ship to load. I figure if I load a new ship onto an old version then the ship will be converted into an SMedit-compatible version. Turns out I wasn't able to do that. Shame, but hey.

Last edited: