Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I can verify this issue. I successfully used SMEdit two weeks ago and it was, although buggy, functional. Yesterday, I decided to start a new project by importing a mesh as a hull, only to discover that the program would not start at all. Here are the results of my (limited) troubleshooting:
    1: you can prevent the program from downloading the broken update by disabling your internet connection. The program, however, will not start.
    2: Removing the 3rd party software folder in the StarMade folder does not work.
    3: Reverting the game to the previous version (wherein I had successfully used it) did not work.
    4: retrieving a VERY old version of SMEdit from an archive and attempting to use it at the same time as a version of starMade from the same era did not work.

Combining any two of the above steps also failed to achieve the desired result. I give it up, and just hope that, whoever is updating this program after all this time is willing to put it back like he found it.
    Ok I did as you said: downloaded the latest Smedit.Jar (1.03.92 as posted here, as its the only smedit download I can find), went into the third-party folder and deleted the smedit folder.
    Put the new Smedit.jar into the starmade folder, and.... on start it again says that there is an update, and tries to download SMEit_1.15393.jar which fails.

Smedit worked just fine for me on Sunday 20th near midnight central European time. Come Monday 21st, 3 PM and it is giving me these errors. I don't know what changed between a those 13 some hours, or where Smedit is getting its "There is an update" information from.

Thank you both of you yes it seems a folder has gotten changed on our domain hosting to not allow access to it at the moment working to resolve that and will let you guys know when the issue is solved. lol but man that is tossing out some old as crap errors and doing some stranger than silly things because it couldn't check its own version.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1458747003,1458745157][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Ok I did as you said: downloaded the latest Smedit.Jar (1.03.92 as posted here, as its the only smedit download I can find), went into the third-party folder and deleted the smedit folder.
    Put the new Smedit.jar into the starmade folder, and.... on start it again says that there is an update, and tries to download SMEit_1.15393.jar which fails.

Smedit worked just fine for me on Sunday 20th near midnight central European time. Come Monday 21st, 3 PM and it is giving me these errors. I don't know what changed between a those 13 some hours, or where Smedit is getting its "There is an update" information from.
    I can verify this issue. I successfully used SMEdit two weeks ago and it was, although buggy, functional. Yesterday, I decided to start a new project by importing a mesh as a hull, only to discover that the program would not start at all. Here are the results of my (limited) troubleshooting:
    1: you can prevent the program from downloading the broken update by disabling your internet connection. The program, however, will not start.
    2: Removing the 3rd party software folder in the StarMade folder does not work.
    3: Reverting the game to the previous version (wherein I had successfully used it) did not work.
    4: retrieving a VERY old version of SMEdit from an archive and attempting to use it at the same time as a version of starMade from the same era did not work.

Combining any two of the above steps also failed to achieve the desired result. I give it up, and just hope that, whoever is updating this program after all this time is willing to put it back like he found it.

Here should be a link to a temp no update check smedit loader. Let me know if you have any problems downloading it or using it. Rmember its in a zip format and you need to extract the jar file from inside.

side note you now will need to restore the SMEdit folder from your "Recycle Bin" as it isn't going to download anything from the web for you. At least that loader wont.

SMEdit_NoUpdate

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Thank you both of you yes it seems a folder has gotten changed on our domain hosting to not allow access to it at the moment working to resolve that and will let you guys know when the issue is solved. lol but man that is tossing out some old as crap errors and doing some stranger than silly things because it couldn't check its own version.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1458747003,1458745157][/DOUBLEPOST]

Here should be a link to a temp no update check smedit loader. Let me know if you have any problems downloading it or using it. Rmember its in a zip format and you need to extract the jar file from inside.

side note you now will need to restore the SMEdit folder from your "Recycle Bin" as it isn't going to download anything from the web for you. At least that loader wont.

SMEdit_NoUpdate
    Bobby if you need someone to do some temporary web hosting I can set up a quick backend for you, not perminant and not very strong but enough for SMEdit update pings.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Glad we got that figured out. Into the next problem I'm afraid:
    I restored the Starmade folder from trash and used that new smedit launcher but.... something is still wrong apparently. I get the launcher window without any fuss about updating but as soon as I hit start on the launcher, nothing happens and the process exits.

Either my Smedit folder got corrupted by the false update, or something else is wrong. can you provide me a zipped up download to the smedit folder?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Same here, no results even after restoring the SMEdit folder, although it is likely not the original copy.

Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Bobby if you need someone to do some temporary web hosting I can set up a quick backend for you, not perminant and not very strong but enough for SMEdit update pings.
    Thank I just need to get with my hosting guy about switching some thing, but I appreciate the offer.

Glad we got that figured out. Into the next problem I'm afraid:
    I restored the Starmade folder from trash and used that new smedit launcher but.... something is still wrong apparently. I get the launcher window without any fuss about updating but as soon as I hit start on the launcher, nothing happens and the process exits.

Either my Smedit folder got corrupted by the false update, or something else is wrong. can you provide me a zipped up download to the smedit folder?
    See end of comment

I got to the start area. once I put in the info for my starmade hit start. nothing happens after word. SMEdit NoUpdate docent seem to work ether. Thank you.
    It isn't the SMEdit_noupdate jar file at fault that is what was requested and that is what I put out and it works perfectly you got the start up options and that is all that jar file is.

Check the end of this comment to download the smedit folder needed to run the rest of the application.

Same here, no results even after restoring the SMEdit folder, although it is likely not the original copy.

Here is the SMEdit folder in a zip file

Put this in your StarMade/third-party/ folder to run smedit while we work out these hosting problems.

So that the file path should look like
    StarMade/third-party/SMEdit/

SMEdit_Folder

Reactions: Ixalite
    Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    OK pleased to report that the file transfer protocols for the hosting have been resolved and the original SMEdit.jar should be working once again Thank you all who reported this bug and were very patient with me wile we resolved the issue.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    NP Bobby, Glad to have it working. or well, at least booting again..

Right now SMEdit is throwing an exception at me: Paste from Log Window

Code:
    [SEVERE] Thu Mar 24 02:47:32 CET 2016: Exception: Unhandled exception in thread Loading...: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
        at jo.sm.ship.logic.HeaderLogic.readFile(HeaderLogic.java:62)
        at jo.sm.logic.BlueprintLogic.readBlueprint(BlueprintLogic.java:102)
        at jo.sm.logic.BlueprintLogic.readDefaultBlueprint(BlueprintLogic.java:94)
        at jo.sm.ui.logic.ShipTreeLogic.loadShip(ShipTreeLogic.java:153)
        at jo.sm.ui.RenderFrame$1.run(RenderFrame.java:149)
        at jo.sm.logic.RunnableLogic$1.run(RunnableLogic.java:37)
    Tried starting it with 6 GB, 5 GB, 3 GB, 2 GB and 1 GB of Memory.
    And ried it with both the SMEdit Download you posted, and letting SMEdit download the files themselves.

Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 2

Code:
    [SEVERE] Thu Mar 24 02:47:32 CET 2016: Exception: Unhandled exception in thread Loading...: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
    And ried it with both the SMEdit Download you posted, and letting SMEdit download the files themselves.
    old startup blueprint

Reaction score
    I tried to load an old model nothing comes up. I even tried to up load a obj got an error.
    Error executing plugin
    Plugin: Import/OBJ
    Arguments:

• file := D:\My Docs\1 Google Sketch Up\My Models\1 Starmade Projects\Ship\Vengeance - Copy.obj
    • longestDimension := 1451
    java.lang.NullPointerException
    at jo.sm.data.UndoBuffer.checkpoint(UndoBuffer.java:57)
    at jo.sm.ui.act.plugin.BlocksPluginAction$1.run(BlocksPluginAction.java:83)
    [DOUBLEPOST=1458833850,1458833711][/DOUBLEPOST]

Code:
    I have this error too.

Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I tried to load an old model nothing comes up. I even tried to up load a obj got an error.
    Error executing plugin
    Plugin: Import/OBJ
    Arguments:

• file := D:\My Docs\1 Google Sketch Up\My Models\1 Starmade Projects\Ship\Vengeance - Copy.obj
    • longestDimension := 1451
    [DOUBLEPOST=1458833850,1458833711][/DOUBLEPOST]

I have this error too.

Go to your "blueprints-default" folder in your starmade folders and delete the "Omen-Navy-Class" blueprint so that it can redownload a fresh copy of it for you.

Reaction score
    Go to your "blueprints-default" folder in your starmade folders and delete the "Omen-Navy-Class" blueprint so that it can redownload a fresh copy of it for you.
    lol. now i get this.
    INFO] Thu Mar 24 14:07:35 EDT 2016: jo.sm.ui.RenderFrame: Loading Ship!
    [SEVERE] Thu Mar 24 14:07:35 EDT 2016: Exception: Unhandled exception in thread Loading...: java.lang.NullPointerException
    at jo.sm.ui.AWTRenderPanel.doNewGrid(AWTRenderPanel.java:244)
    at jo.sm.ui.AWTRenderPanel.access$500(AWTRenderPanel.java:49)
    at jo.sm.ui.AWTRenderPanel$2.propertyChange(AWTRenderPanel.java:121)
    at jo.sm.data.PCSBean.firePropertyChange(PCSBean.java:150)
    at jo.sm.data.StarMade.setModel(StarMade.java:173)
    at jo.sm.logic.StarMadeLogic.setModel(StarMadeLogic.java:312)

[CONFIG] Thu Mar 24 14:07:36 EDT 2016: jo.sm.ui.RenderFrame: Main application started: SMEdit

Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    lol. now i get this.
    INFO] Thu Mar 24 14:07:35 EDT 2016: jo.sm.ui.RenderFrame: Loading Ship!
    [SEVERE] Thu Mar 24 14:07:35 EDT 2016: Exception: Unhandled exception in thread Loading...: java.lang.NullPointerException
    at jo.sm.ui.AWTRenderPanel.doNewGrid(AWTRenderPanel.java:244)
    at jo.sm.ui.AWTRenderPanel.access$500(AWTRenderPanel.java:49)
    at jo.sm.ui.AWTRenderPanel$2.propertyChange(AWTRenderPanel.java:121)
    at jo.sm.data.PCSBean.firePropertyChange(PCSBean.java:150)
    at jo.sm.data.StarMade.setModel(StarMade.java:173)
    at jo.sm.logic.StarMadeLogic.setModel(StarMadeLogic.java:312)

[CONFIG] Thu Mar 24 14:07:36 EDT 2016: jo.sm.ui.RenderFrame: Main application started: SMEdit
    Just delete the whole folder "SMEdit" and the blueprint "Omen-Navel-class" and let it redownload a fresh copy

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I was also having issues importing ships, but everything is working fine now! Thanks, B.B.!

Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I was also having issues importing ships, but everything is working fine now! Thanks, B.B.!
    You are very welcome and sorry if at any time in trying to help you out if I seemed in any way irritated or upset. I would hate to think that people would not want to come to me for help for fear that I would get upset with them.

I am always available on my teamspeak voice chat to help with any issues or problems an SMEdit user might have.

ts3.lazygamerz.org

Glad that it is working for you now.

Reaction score
    this is what i get when i try to use smedit

Error executing plugin
    Plugin: Import/Schematic Arguments:
    file := C:\Users\Prime\Downloads\ba'als time machine.schematic

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Can it read blueprint files again?
    From what Bobby told me on his Teamspeak server a few days ago: Currently Smedit can only read Old blueprints. something about the new blueprints having a different format that includes some sort of time stamp of when it was created (even though this doesn't work as it will say "Jan 01, 1970 - 01:00 AM" in the Catalog anyways), which Smedit can't handle/see the differance between. but Bobby did say that he is working on it.

Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Introducing the new SMEdit / StarMade web theme that is being developed and implemented in the new rebuild of this application.

When completed I will be finishing this library and offering the jar file for other applications of StarMade to use the theme and explain how to implement it in their projects I am developing this along with the new rebuild of the SMEdit application together so please be patient with me while these things are being thought out worked on and developed.

I realize the issues with the old SMEdit build, and I am sorry that as it stands I will not be doing everything in my power to correct those problems but I can't fix that and develop on what I'm working on now too.

this is what i get when i try to use smedit

Error executing plugin
    Plugin: Import/Schematic Arguments:
    file := C:\Users\Prime\Downloads\ba'als time machine.schematic
    Sorry the schematic stuff mostly about updates done to minecraft and the block ids not being updated for that and our application makes it hard to help with schematic issues at this time but I will make sure this is corrected in the up coming re write.

Can it read blueprint files again?
    As the poster after you explained the requirements and file re writes needed for the existing smedit to do new blueprints is too great for me to simply try to patch those files. I will be addressing this in the new application re write. Thank you for you continued interest in the application. I hope the new re write will resove most of these issues for us.
    From what Bobby told me on his Teamspeak server a few days ago: Currently Smedit can only read Old blueprints. something about the new blueprints having a different format that includes some sort of time stamp of when it was created (even though this doesn't work as it will say "Jan 01, 1970 - 01:00 AM" in the Catalog anyways), which Smedit can't handle/see the differance between. but Bobby did say that he is working on it.
    Thank you for passing along information your help and others is very much appreciated and noticed.

Reactions: HerrColonel