Reaction score
    It most certainly isn't. Bobby has been hard at work getting SMEDIT 2 to a level of usable standard.

These projects take so much time. It took three years for this game to get where it is now and its gonna take some time to get SMEDIT all fixed up and working for the latest builds.
    Yeah not sure about that, not been any updates from what I have seen from Bobby himself, the posts I have seen have been 'sorry but real life', asI said been a long time since any updates on his own site or forum posts from him, also all download links on the site seem to be dead.

No offence, but until I hear something from the man himself I am going to consider SMedit dead. I appreciate his and the original developers work, SMedit still works if you use an older StarMade then update the completed BP in an up to date version of the game. But I am not holding my breathe at the moment that Smedit will ever be updated or finished.

If you can link me to some post or blog or such where he is providing news on what is happening then would appreciate it, going by his profile he has been active on the StarMade forums, but not any related to SMedit as far as I can tell.

Again on his own site as I said no posts by him since Jan 2015, and his last activity on there was June 24, 2015, 11:30:30 PM. which is 4 or so months ago. (and no posts/updates made it seems when he was on.)

Sorry I want to be optimistic, something like SMedit is needed, (shipyards....... urgh, I wonder what those on the test server are actually testing sometimes with all the broken stuff that makes it into updates.....) but a couple of decades of gaming have kind of made me realistically jaded. Seen many mods and tools like this swap devs and die out in the same way.
    "Sorry moving house", "Sorry stubbed my big toe", "Sorry Burned out", "but hey I am still working on this and an update will come soon......."
    (insert crickets here almost a year later)

We may just have to face reality that what we have now is it. Unless someone who has the time and is committed can take up the task.
    Honestly wish I knew how to program Java or had the time to do so. I could learn I guess, but sadly I know I don't have the time or patience before taking on such a challenge. Maybe when I win lotto? lol

I undertsand things can take time to develop and release, but really how hard is it to update a blog and keep people in the loop?

Reaction score
    so i got smedit working using the old executables as per instructions.

1. great for importing binvox after converting using binvox.exe
    2. serious memory problems for loading big ships
    3. if i convert binvox to a shape that isn't a box (for the bounds) smedit dies and never loads the model.
    3.a i did the above to attempt to save memoery (1000x100x200 vs regular 1000x1000x1000)
    3.b why does smedit need to do the full 1000x1000x1000 when there is only 1000x100x200 actually filled? would be a lot less memory :( is it even possible?

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Anyone heard of any further developments of this tool or another?
    I wish the Schine guys would take this onboard and maybe integrate it into the game itself.
    It's so much more convenient editing with a tool like this.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Anyone heard of any further developments of this tool or another?
    I wish the Schine guys would take this onboard and maybe integrate it into the game itself.
    It's so much more convenient editing with a tool like this.
    That would be a glorious turn of events, a fully updated and supported smedit would be just the thing that we need. Heck I'd take any update to smedit, just to prove the project isn't dead even if its not fully updated, just any sign of life or progress.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    use the one on star made dock's community content section. It's the most recent ancient build.

Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Many have been asking about the continued support of the SMEdit application for StarMade. I am here today to confirm that SMEdit is still being developed, and to do a bit of outlining of the development plan for 2016.

I apologize in advance before we get into plans for what seemed to be a laps if not abandonment of our beloved SMEdit. The fact is I am only one person and my support for StarMade is huge. My project list is seemly endless and almost over whelming. Some days I am so swamped with needs, maintenance, and requirements that I barely make it past the Q and A of being the main community admin of the number one ranked StarMade server on starmade-servers.com

Over the past year I have gathered quite a bit about what we might need our StarMade editing tool to do and what all needs to be added and or fixed in way of existing features. Yes our ability to edit new blueprints is top priority, and yes we will be doing that on this new build, but to be honest it is the very smallest part of what we need to do with the application.

3D imports improved

Yes up until now the .obj import ability has been simple or at the very least simplified and we now need a more full ability to render .obj files to StarMade blueprints. It is the first of a long line of improvments we need for 3D imports and we will get into that as we get closer to how we want the 3D import ability to be handled and laid out for us to use.

Existing features need expanded on.

Many things that SMEdit does was never brought to light and no one seems clear on how these things work. Many features will be expanded on as well as web based PDF files will be added to tiny clickable links for users to click on and bring up the PDF explaining that feature.

We will be expanding on features to include many things into the main application construction, but I will get more into that in a min. As we expand on these features we will be able to add, correct and modify what many things do. Lets face it how many users know or even have ever used the shape library feature? We need this expanded to be easy to see and easy to use making the ability to copy and paste loading pre set objects/ entities on the fly.

We will be moving the plug-ins to a pre set defined window showing all the plug-ins and giving more usable options in each plug-in. This again is part of changing the main application construction. So lets talk about that.

Changing the look and the feel, and I don’t just mean the eye candy.

It is high time we made the full build of the application usable not just well laid out. Yes the main blueprint window is nice and the cute window with blocks to paint with is cute too, and we have all that nicely constructed but lets be honest don’t you want much more in your face to work with? I know I do. There are many things in the application that need their own “content pane” done up and able to be focused on moved around and used for the features they inhabit.

Now if you don’t know what that means let me explain. That is where we take say the ability to paint with a hull color and expand on it to include all blocks in the block list not just advanced armor. Lets paint with everything, and lets make it so the window that shows us the blocks to paint with moves around on the screen so we can see more blocks more easily instead of being limited to a scroll bar lets make it so that if we move the window around the layout interacts moving and conforming to our needs. At the bottom of the window will be the paint options based on the block in the list you have chosen.

I want to take it one step farther but will save that SMEdit ability added to that feature as I knock up some code for it.

Now if we have that on the left hand side of the screen and the edit window in the center lets put something interesting and usable on the right hand side lets put more windows over there where you can have your full list of blueprints in your blueprints folder and a load button along with them and when you click on one to load it we make a whole new tab window in the center with that ship in it. So the center windows will be able to be closed on command and saves made if needed.

Lets go a bit more. Lets add also to the right side of the screen a shape library window showing a list of all your shapes in your library and giving you the option to paste them into the entry tab you have upfront focused on, and lets load that with a set 5 or 10 that we send along with the application so people start to see what those are. That window will also include any shapes the user has saved to their own library, and any thing they have gotten from others on the web.

There are a few more windows and features as well as new edit abilities I want to focus on in this rebuild. I am hard at work on a lot of it now, and will try to crank out some sort of sample app so that people can get more of a clue what I’m talking about as well as offer up suggestions.

I want to thank everyone who both have expressed their support for SMEdit and those that also quietly enjoyed what they had to use. I promise to make it so our attention to SMEdit reflects the games main develop for the game itself and make sure everyone knows that support continues even if reports don’t happen as often as everyone would like.

I am always available on voice chat at ts3.lazygamerz.org
    If anyone is interested in being a part of the testing team you should join me on voice chat and I will explain how to take part in the team there.
    So be on the look out for a few new things happening with and for support of SMEdit this year.
    Again thank you for your support

Bobbybighoof, project leader
    SMEdit

Last edited:
    Reactions: Achriel and Lecic
    Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Continuing our plans to expand on our little application to make it a much more full and useful application / program; I have been working on what in java is known as "Swing worker utilities"

Now what that means for those who do not know is we want to have a blank screen and on our beck and call we want to construct new boxes and windows around us on the screen that do awesome interesting things. The problem with most basic java applications is java doesn't like to do that. Oh sure toss something up there and maybe just maybe you can ask it to do things, but java is not going to be happy about it.

So what we have been working on is the ability for us to call on things and make new windows/boxes around on the work area that not only get new features and things for a player to do and see, but also interacts with what we are working with in the main window of the work area. So as things change in the main work area the swing worker will help java to update and transform the boxes to the sides to report our needed information and options.

So if I want to show you guys what blocks and what all parts in a ship you have constructed and give you the ability to call on those parts with a simple side click from a side box; then things will react and perform more clearly without all the application lock up we have seen in the past.

This should once more clearly implemented into the new application construction; repost and show better window construction and user interaction for us.

Reactions: JimmyJamba
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Continuing our plans to expand on our little application to make it a much more full and useful application / program; I have been working on what in java is known as "Swing worker utilities"

Now what that means for those who do not know is we want to have a blank screen and on our beck and call we want to construct new boxes and windows around us on the screen that do awesome interesting things. The problem with most basic java applications is java doesn't like to do that. Oh sure toss something up there and maybe just maybe you can ask it to do things, but java is not going to be happy about it.

So what we have been working on is the ability for us to call on things and make new windows/boxes around on the work area that not only get new features and things for a player to do and see, but also interacts with what we are working with in the main window of the work area. So as things change in the main work area the swing worker will help java to update and transform the boxes to the sides to report our needed information and options.

So if I want to show you guys what blocks and what all parts in a ship you have constructed and give you the ability to call on those parts with a simple side click from a side box; then things will react and perform more clearly without all the application lock up we have seen in the past.

This should once more clearly implemented into the new application construction; repost and show better window construction and user interaction for us.
    Awesome! I loved SMEdit before it wasn't compatible :) I'm really looking forward to this!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I'm having an issue now, I'm trying to start up smedit and it gives me a popup saying that there is an update for SMEdit_Classic.

I press Yes and after a moment of nothing a popup shows up "Error: Invanid or Corrupt Jarfile SMEdit_1.15393.jar"
    ok fine, start SMEdit again, press No.... Nothing happens... SMEdit doesn't start.

So anyone got a download link for 1.15393 or a workaround?
    Also
    Code:
    http://smedit.co
    gives me a Non-Existent Domain Error

NOTE: I'm In Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate Edition, Java Version 8.0.510

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I'm having an issue now, I'm trying to start up smedit and it gives me a popup saying that there is an update for SMEdit_Classic.

I press Yes and after a moment of nothing a popup shows up "Error: Invanid or Corrupt Jarfile SMEdit_1.15393.jar"
    ok fine, start SMEdit again, press No.... Nothing happens... SMEdit doesn't start.

So anyone got a download link for 1.15393 or a workaround?
    Also
    Code:
    http://smedit.co
    gives me a Non-Existent Domain Error

NOTE: I'm In Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate Edition, Java Version 8.0.510
    as far as I know there is no 1.15393 version

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Odd... I downloaded smedit 1.03.92 from the community content section linked in this thread, when I start the jar file I get this:

Pressing yes and waiting a while gives me this:

Pressing No does nothing. hitting escape instead of yes or no gets me the normal launch window for smedit to select how much ram to dedicate to smedit. but hitting start then again does nothing.

Note: With "does nothing" I mean, window disappears and the Java Process terminates.

Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Odd... I downloaded smedit 1.03.92 from the community content section linked in this thread, when I start the jar file I get this:

Pressing yes and waiting a while gives me this:

Pressing No does nothing. hitting escape instead of yes or no gets me the normal launch window for smedit to select how much ram to dedicate to smedit. but hitting start then again does nothing.

Note: With "does nothing" I mean, window disappears and the Java Process terminates.
    what launcher are you using? Be sure to grab the newest one from the community content page.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Launcher V15 (steam)
    Starmade version v0.19624 build 20160320_064526

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Launcher V15 (steam)
    Starmade version v0.19624 build 20160320_064526
    not what version of the game launcher; what version of the smedit launcher. Like I said grab the latest vbersion of the smedit launcher from the community content. If that doesn't fix your problem then go into your starmade folder find the folder inside named "third-party" then inside that the smedit folder will be. Delete the smedit folder and restart smedit from the latest launcher.

your giving me errors that says things that were changed or removed over a year and a half ago.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    not what version of the game launcher; what version of the smedit launcher. Like I said grab the latest vbersion of the smedit launcher from the community content. If that doesn't fix your problem then go into your starmade folder find the folder inside named "third-party" then inside that the smedit folder will be. Delete the smedit folder and restart smedit from the latest launcher.
    Ok I did as you said: downloaded the latest Smedit.Jar (1.03.92 as posted here, as its the only smedit download I can find), went into the third-party folder and deleted the smedit folder.
    Put the new Smedit.jar into the starmade folder, and.... on start it again says that there is an update, and tries to download SMEit_1.15393.jar which fails.

your giving me errors that says things that were changed or removed over a year and a half ago.
    Smedit worked just fine for me on Sunday 20th near midnight central European time. Come Monday 21st, 3 PM and it is giving me these errors. I don't know what changed between a those 13 some hours, or where Smedit is getting its "There is an update" information from.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I can verify this issue. I successfully used SMEdit two weeks ago and it was, although buggy, functional. Yesterday, I decided to start a new project by importing a mesh as a hull, only to discover that the program would not start at all. Here are the results of my (limited) troubleshooting:
    1: you can prevent the program from downloading the broken update by disabling your internet connection. The program, however, will not start.
    2: Removing the 3rd party software folder in the StarMade folder does not work.
    3: Reverting the game to the previous version (wherein I had successfully used it) did not work.
    4: retrieving a VERY old version of SMEdit from an archive and attempting to use it at the same time as a version of starMade from the same era did not work.

Combining any two of the above steps also failed to achieve the desired result. I give it up, and just hope that, whoever is updating this program after all this time is willing to put it back like he found it.