New Power DEV Thread

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    I'm going to have to try refitting my fighters. Prepared for disappointment following Exozen's findings.

Though, Exozen, it has been stated by the devs that small ships don't need the stabilizers. Then again, you get crap amounts of power til you put stabilizers in. Wtf damned if you do, damned if you don't. >.>

Sigh.

Top 4ce

Force or Ace?
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I'm going to have to try refitting my fighters. Prepared for disappointment following Exozen's findings.

Though, Exozen, it has been stated by the devs that small ships don't need the stabilizers. Then again, you get crap amounts of power til you put stabilizers in. Wtf damned if you do, damned if you don't. >.>

Sigh.
    First five reactors don't need stabilizers.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    Which is like, 500 power in the new system, yes?
    Which is something like 20 ish thruster modules, or 30ish weapons modules at full charge rate, or 100 ish weapons module maintenance cost, or max level scanning on a 50k mass ship, or...

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Which is something like 20 ish thruster modules, or 30ish weapons modules at full charge rate, or 100 ish weapons module maintenance cost, or max level scanning on a 50k mass ship, or...
    Yeah, this is the thing people don't seem to be catching onto.

The new reactors produce less power, this is true. But the systems generally use less power as well. We have to toss out all of what we knew before as to how much power is "good" for a given size and relearn.

Reactions: kiddan

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Which means my 40m fighter has to have stabilizers. :P
    [doublepost=1507919164,1507919109][/doublepost]
    Yeah, this is the thing people don't seem to be catching onto.

The new reactors produce less power, this is true. But the systems generally use less power as well. We have to toss out all of what we knew before as to how much power is "good" for a given size and relearn.
    Yes, systems use less power, but not *that* much less power.

Exozen

C-D SOLDIER
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Which is like, 500 power in the new system, yes?
    You'll never power anything more than a thruster stick with 5 reactors
    not even 7 or 15, 27, well maybe 27? but that's the bare minimum

Last edited:

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    You'll never power anything more than a thruster stick with 5 reactors
    not even 7 or 15, 27, well maybe 27? but that's the bare minimum
    I'll be finding out this weekend.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    I am just quoting myself from another thread:

We went from a system that wanted to extend on all 3 axis but would allow for only focusing on one axis, to a system that strongly favors extension on only one axis and hardly makes anything else really viable. this is where the point of "system should support multiple creative designs" failed miserably. besides that i so far enjoy the changes also the aspect of ships have to specialize.

Reaction score
    O-my_gosh! O-my_gosh! O-my_gosh!O-my_gosh!O-my_gosh!O-my_gosh!O-my_gosh!O-my_gosh!O-my_gosh!O-my_gosh!O-my_gosh!O-my_gosh!O-my_gosh!O-my_gosh!O-my_gosh! So excited! It's HEEEEEEEEEEEREEEEE!
    [doublepost=1507995502,1507994431][/doublepost]... sticky advanced mode is annoying, it forces you to click it off again when you want to move. plus for some reason it removes more than it should with each click.
    [doublepost=1507996953][/doublepost]Went to place a reactor.... crashed with class cast exception

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Has anyone gotten cloaking/jamming to work? Does it put a jammer/cloaker on the hotbar like it does with the scanner and jumpdrive?

Reaction score
    Has anyone gotten cloaking/jamming to work? Does it put a jammer/cloaker on the hotbar like it does with the scanner and jumpdrive?
    Yes and yes.
    You get one combined "stealth drive" that activates jammer, cloak, or both, depending on which you have.

PS.: Perma-stealth can currently not be deactivated, so you have to either "level down" the respective chambers, or remove the chamber blocks. Known bug.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Yes and yes.
    You get one combined "stealth drive" that activates jammer, cloak, or both, depending on which you have.

PS.: Perma-stealth can currently not be deactivated, so you have to either "level down" the respective chambers, or remove the chamber blocks. Known bug.
    So it actually puts a block in your hotbar? >.> Yet another bug I have run into then, because I don't see it.

I know that you have to put in two stealth chambers, and level one to 2 and the other to 3.

Reaction score
    So it actually puts a block in your hotbar? >.> Yet another bug I have run into then, because I don't see it.

I know that you have to put in two stealth chambers, and level one to 2 and the other to 3.
    It doesn't put the button on your hotbar automatically, you have to do that yourself via the weapons menu.

I don't have it in front of me right now, but I seem to remember you have to have one chamber connected to the reactor, one connected to that first chamber for jammers, and another one connected to the first for cloak.

Reaction score
    My thoughts?
    Builders will like that, because more content = more hours to have fun with, just like turrets update, ship yard
    It will make the game even harder to learn, (like almost all other updates, which wasn't necessary to the gameplay and meta or even negative, ex: turret update, ship yard)
    It will not change the current meta (which is just not good, just look at the number of active players)
    It will probably require more config (and this isn't a part of something needed for the meta / gameplay)
    This game is dying, I remember the good times where there was +100k-300k views on starmade videos, and when server where full and you could meet people online just by roaming, jump drive made this universe just more empty. and when it was much easier to get ships online and pvp.
    Do something now if its not too late!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I've been doing some extensive research on building effective Miners and fighters. During the DEV upgrades, I've seen many changes in the past month. I'm testing on Local Server only. Survival mode, and Hard Setting.
    The area I'm testing involves STARTING OFF NEW, Building your first miner ship and how to use Shops to quickly get yourself up and going very quickly.
    I'm currently testing with DEV build 124.
    First off, build your first Miner ship, Start with your Mining Computer and Mining modules. Use them all, buy another 100 - 200 modules too if you like. Now do your power, You don't need to use them all at first, now lets buy some logic chambers and some conduits too, start with 20 / 10. Now start building up your power, keep in mind your reactors will need to be at a certain distance from stabilisers , and you want them far enough away in order to get 100% Effectiveness. Keep on swapping back and forth in Build and Flight Mode to test them out. Hit G to bring Salvager to weapons hot bar and test away. Keep building up as much reactors and stabilisers until the 2 bars on the Right in Flight mode becomes green. Now hit TAB-SHIP-REACTORS and look at top bar for how many chambers you will need, and purchase enough needed. connect chambers via Conduit directly to your reactors. Hit TAB-SHIP-REACTORS go to LOGISTICS CHAMBER tree and MINING BONUS, level up your MINING BONUS 3 times to max. Now add your thruster modules. throw them all on, you'll need them. Now buy 1 STORAGE and 100 cargo. Place your storage block first, hit C on that block and start placing all your storage blocks, continue forming your ship. Now hit C on Salvage computer and V on Storage . place down your Faction module. Create a faction and faction your ship.
    You should now have a working Mining Ship, Before we star mining, lets do 1 more thing first. Hit U - Save Blueprint of entered Structure. Give it a name MK 1. There will be more upgrades once we start making some money. Find the ship in the blueprints list, click it, Permisions, take the check out of ENEMY CAN USE. Now buy 6 of the same blueprints. You can RIGHT Click on blueprint in Inventory - then edit, to add blocks to list and spawn them later.

Here is our priorities now.

- Mine asteroids within someone else's factioned sector first, you will get their mining bonus too. Can't see any asteroids in the navigation panel! Hit preferences and add asteroids to your list.

- Stay far away from Pirates, you have no shields or armor yet, you've been warned. always keep an eye out for them, you should also have your jump drive in your hot bar at the ready. Can't find it! Hit G and add it to your Hot Bar.

- Begin Making Our First Fleet. Its time to make some serious money

- Upgrading your ships, adding shields and armor to your ships.

- Now we are ready to venture into new unexplored territories and Start our own Home base, claim the sector as our own, and building our base. Keep in mind, it will cost 50,000 credits to start a new base.

- Notes to keep in mind, you must explore 15 - 16 sectors before you can see the full map with stations and shops. For now, you will depend on navigation saved points. So you wont get lost. (home base, shops, and good mining locations. You may also save areas that contain Pirates so you can stay away from them for now. he he he )

We will now harvest our first asteroid. And sell it all to the closest shop. Congratulations, you are now a multi- millionaire. Ok lets make a second ship. go into first blueprint, see how many blocks are needed and purchase from the shop. You should have enough money to complete your second ship and probably start your 3rd ship.

lets start our first fleet. Hit K and create a new fleet, name it what you want. Click on your fleet name and add your first ship in first. Spawn your 2nd ship and any other ships that is ready to spawn too. Go back into fleet panel by hitting K click on your new fleet name and add ships to your fleet. So now you should have 2 or 3 ships in your first fleet. Lets do some more harvesting. You will have to be in same sector the asteroid is in before your fleet commands - mine this sector will work. Do not add any AI modules as of yet, it wont work, your ship will wander away or do a dance for you, any fleet commands won't do anything. (last tested using DEV build 123)

So basically you will be mining and selling until you can build up your fleet with existing blueprints until you have all 7 ships in your fleet. Keep in mind that the ship you are in will not auto mine like the others in your fleet, you will have to do it manually.
    Some may be asking, I did all that mining but never got anything in my inventory. Well that's because its all in your storage chest. Go into build mode, point cursor on storage chest and hit R, There it is, at this point, make this storage your personal storage. This way when you go to a shop and sell, Hit I - Inventory, hit cargo, and everything in your storage chest will be visible.

At this time you can make money easily, and your fleet can do most of the work for you, lets start on our defenses now. Starting with some shield capacitors and shield regenerators. Throw on 50 of each on all the ships. now to cover everything up. Its a little expensive but buy as much standard armor you can, and start covering up all your systems, Reactors, stabilisers, conduits, and chambers, make sure you cover up all your cargo spaces too.

A few lessons I've learned when dealing with fleets.
    - Mining, some times when you give the command to mine this sector, they just want to dance around instead. Every now and then, and sometimes often, you will have to exit the game, start it back up. go to TOOLs and Erase Cache, then start the game. Voila! upon restarting, your fleet is now mining.
    - AI's won't work
    - The old Jammer computer will be on it's way out due to the new power system , now can be found within the stealth chambers. 2 chambers joined in series, first chamber set to strength 3, second set to Jammer. You can add an additional Stealth chamber on it's own to manipulate time durations and other stuff for your jammer.
    - Cloaking, requires strength of 4, and it's own separate chamber set to cloak. You might be able to do 3 chambers in a series to do a cloak and jam, first chamber set to strength 4 , second to jam, and third to cloak.
    - Some notes on Jammers and cloakers with fleets. It will only work in the ship you are in, Fleet command to cloak or jam may put your fleet into a "Trade mode" instead and wander off. So at this point, it won't work. This is why I went for the shields instead.
    - Aiming, I have noticed, if you build an a-semetrical ship, aiming is off , (left clicking) from the core point of view. you need to add a camera centered from point of weapon, or support tool, to be accurate. For fleets, If you build this type of ship, There aim will always be off due to the fact, they aim from the core point of view, or Computer point of view. I tried making a new ship, this time centering the core and computer behind the output beams had a 500% increase in hitrates and salvaging.
    - Here is a LOL and another learning lesson, back in dev 121, there was an issue with the Faction Module, Game crashed if you used a faction module on a ship or station. At that time mining fleets were able to work fine without the faction module. I was rich with resources. Then in Dev 123 this was rectified. My ships were mining away, but the block count of asteroid never moved, unless I hit it myself. Hmmmm, they reinstated the faction module, each ship must have a faction module before they will eat away an asteroid. I suspect the same with other weapons. Now I'm getting richer.
    - Shields, you can add some Defence modules and add 50% to your Capacity and your Recharge rate, works well on all ships. Don't get confused with the word BASE, it's not just for stations, its for the base of structure for any ship or station.
    - Upgrades, Any upgrades done should be saved as a blueprint as often as you can. Remember to make sure the enemy can't use it too.
    - Turrets, at this point, anything with a turret will not work as of DEV 123, The same applies to docking, to a ship or a station, it may appear to work at first, then the NullPointers will come in, and the docked entity will vanish in time.
    - Combat, I made 3 fleets, each was an upgrade from a previous using various modules All were hefty fighters 60m length ships, fleet 1 had the basics, fleet 2 basics + chamber upgrades, fleet 3 as previous + faction module. This was in Dev 119. I moved all 3 fleets to same sector, and one of the fleets started shooting the other fleets. Like shooting fish in a barrel, So I had to separate the children. These Fighters were very effective when we took down an Eta Pirate station along with there isanths. Some ships were badly chewed up but we did it when I added the ion effects to half my ships.

End Notes, what I have provided you so far is how any newbie can start off a new world and start expanding quickly. My method of ship building may be different than others, but it gives you a better learning curve in order to learn the new power system. I like to start with what needs the most power first, in miners, its having enough power to efficiently power your mining beams without losing all power. The same method can be used when making fighters too. Start with your weapon of choice, the bigger the better. Do your power, then add your chambers shields and armor. It's that simple. Yes, there will be lots of "OMG's","WTF's", and "LOL's". Lets have some fun.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Requiring the stabilizers to be a certain distance from the reactors isnt a great mechanic at the moment. I think using them to protect the reactor from damage/power loss, ignoring their distance from the reactor and focusing on numbers, would be better. Like having a 1:1 ratio of reactors to stabilizers would give the reactor blocks 50% damage reduction, giving the reactor greater durability, which keeps it going longer in combat.

Maybe stabilizers could reduce the base/idle power cost of systems, by up to 50% at a perfect ratio or something, which would allow a ship that doesnt use most of its systems most of the time to carry a wider variety of equipment while still requiring the same power cost to actually use them.

Reaction score
    So, i have somewhat read most of the discussions here on this thread and i want to put my opinion on the matter on power and so on. I agree on what Darkkrat (sorry if i butchered your name) said, this power system is a tad too complicated and limits the creativity the players had before. I would strongly suggest to make this system simpler and have an actual dropback when trying to go for a huge power generation. An idea i had is making the reactors generating heat, similar to the first proposal. The only difference is that the reactor will act like a reactor of a ship, in that the more it generates, the more heat it makes and the riskier it gets for the player who has said ship. This is where stabilizers would make a lot of sense.

Instead of making a distance requirement, allow the players to place the stabilizers anywhere close to the reactor area, something that people have been asking for a lot through out this thread.

I would also suggest making the chamber system seperate. Not only does that simplify what each block does for said player, but it also gives more options for developers such as yourselfs to expand upon. Of course, you will have to link the chamber system to a power source.

Having this option would also allow different types of power generation that have different requirements. Some examples are; fuel reactor/generator that gets powered from a type of fuel, solar power that gets power from light, ect.

The reason i thought up of such opinion is because of a developer/teacher who keeps telling us in our classroom "keep it simple, stupid", a joke that also serves as a reminder that keeping a balance between simplicity and complexity is key.

Give me your thoughts about this. Do you agree that the system needs to be a tad simpler that it is right now? Do you like the idea of having a variety of different power generation that are about equally simple?

Reactions: Dire Venom
    Reaction score
    I tried it
    and from the cube and compact like ships we went to the stretched out hamburgers
    with both the reactor and stabilizers at the end being the buns filled with patty made of chambers..

nice for long ships with big noses and a big ass

and yes ofc I can put the reactor and stabilizers more to the middle ... but why do I want to ?
    I want powah!!!