New Power DEV Thread

Reaction score
    I'm having problems with dev 0.200.119.

Game starts throwing nullpointer errors and other errors, when I try to create a Faction. I have tried faction creation through faction menu, and using admin commands. As soon as I confirm the creation, the game falls into an endless loop of nullpointer errors, then to other error messages and closing the error message dialogue crashes the game.

I suspect this has something to do with the changes in build mode UI, where the new info tab stack includes a Faction tab.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    I'm having problems with dev 0.200.119.

Game starts throwing nullpointer errors and other errors, when I try to create a Faction. I have tried faction creation through faction menu, and using admin commands. As soon as I confirm the creation, the game falls into an endless loop of nullpointer errors, then to other error messages and closing the error message dialogue crashes the game.

I suspect this has something to do with the changes in build mode UI, where the new info tab stack includes a Faction tab.
    Got the same errors.

Also got the same error BUT upon trying to log in into an old world. Had to creat a new world to be able to play then upon creating a faction boom crash plenty of null pointer. (Beautifull bug report, i know :p )

Reaction score
    Got the same errors.

Also got the same error BUT upon trying to log in into an old world. Had to creat a new world to be able to play then upon creating a faction boom crash plenty of null pointer. (Beautifull bug report, i know :p )
    Yep, I can confirm that. It seems to affect any world where a player is in a faction. Playing without a faction works just fine, but creating a faction or logging into a world with a player faction drops the game into the error loop. Guess we'll have to wait for a fix.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Also and that is annoying... Turrets are NOT getting any power from the mother ship.... Thats why they're not moving (i think) and PD can fire a little time then run out of power and big attack turret just don't fire cuz no power.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I see we have a new dev update 200,119 . I hate the guess work everytime I try something new and not knowing what was changed, fixed, or is still a BUG (still working on it. I looked in the starmade folder, searched this site, yet I don't know where you hide these update notes. Do they exist.
    This is a mystery for the X-Files.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    The new menu on the left of the game screen is getting fatter. They messed up with the faction doing so when adding a faction tab to that new menu.

And turrets still not powered. I know i repeat myself.

Reaction score
    Dev builds don't get official changelogs or update listings. They are primarily used for testing, tweaking and balancing new features, and as such contain bugs, glitches and problems with stability. A dev build will eventually get to a point where it's "ready" to be moved to "Pre-release" branch and after that to "Release" branch, by which point it will be "ready" for widespread use.

Reaction score
    I see we have a new dev update 200,119 . I hate the guess work everytime I try something new and not knowing what was changed, fixed, or is still a BUG (still working on it. I looked in the starmade folder, searched this site, yet I don't know where you hide these update notes. Do they exist.
    This is a mystery for the X-Files.
    Apparently it can't be reiterated often enough.

This game is in alpha, that is development of core systems is still ongoing. You are to expect bugs around every corner even with the "release" builds. Those are builds that are deemed to be "stable" enough to be mostly usable.

The dev (i.e. development) branch is the most raw you can get. You should actually be surprised if things work without breaking, and things get changed radically without any notice at all.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Perhaps we should do something about that. Considering we are the testers, we should know whats going on by gathering our resources together. make a list of the bugs, whats been tried and tested.

Ill start it off with this list.

AI Is the biggest Bug, as soon as you put it on any ship, it will render it useless.

Fleets Fleets will still work, aslong as you don't put an AI module on it.
    No problems with Miners and fighters.
    Turrets Something I haven't fiddled with yet, appears to have power problems.

Targeting I also noticed the aim is way off, I'm currently aiming to the right - and down.

That's to start it off, add to it if you like, any helpful news is helpful to others, including the Shine team who will see this list, and perhaps throw us a bone or two.

Cheers, happy testing, and for those keeping score Pirates 3. Capt Black 11 plus an eta pirate base. He he he, I have the power once again.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    Its amazing how many people here have their head so far up schines ass they think they can read their thoughts.

Power storage never should have been dropped, it was a critical part of balancing. How in the world they can think they'll work around not having it without changing the entire baseline of balance is beyond me.
    Eh, same effect could be gained by increasing the mass of weapons systems proportionate to their energy draw, or by decreasing weapons damage by an order of magnitude(more likely).
    That really comes down to balance config though, and those are all numbers every single server admin has access to, even if they are too plebian/lazy to actually balance their local changes. This is also the reason AI accuracy is often set so low: server admins are often too lazy to alter more than the sector size, server speed, and ai accuracy numbers. Every single weapon&support system needs it ranges and projectile speeds altered when you change the big three or it leads to one of two extremes that breaks the RPSLV of the game balance.

Exozen

C-D SOLDIER
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I was fully expecting reactor sizes/volume to be vastly smaller with the new system, so much so that my sub 50 meter fighters/drones would only need maybe 1-2 reactor blocks, with an excess of power.
    Instead I find that my ships struggle and can't hardly support themselves at all. My 31m long drone, specifically, needing a 3x3 block reactor when it can hardly fit a 4x4x1 (thin drone).
    And with the currently absurd distance required for stabilizers, can't even go past that 4x4x1 box it is confined to, because the stabilizers instantly lose efficiency on an already long and spindly drone.

The thruster buff was nice, though with a whopping .50 mass per reactor/stabilizer/chamber, and going from 31 reactor blocks to 27 reactor + 22 stabilizers, it hardly makes up for the increased weight, and the power consumption increase was far too much for an already insanely hungry system.

So what do I get?
    • Absurd reactor/ship size ratios at small scales.
    • Impossibly long distances to achieve 100% stabilizers
    • A 5 block minimum size on Chambers, due to needing large reactor, making having more than one or two of them nigh impractical
    • Invalid Chambers, due to touching Conduits enforcing that nigh impracticability in the confined spaces of drones.
    • Thrusters still suck, just in a new way, with their small buff not justifying the new power cost
    • Nerf to drones and fighters due to greatly increased weight
    • Small ships still suck, and will continue being worthless for the foreseeable future

IMO, it still needs months of work, with the complete lack of "major" config changes required that I'm seeing.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    I was fully expecting reactor sizes/volume to be vastly smaller with the new system, so much so that my sub 50 meter fighters/drones would only need maybe 1-2 reactor blocks, with an excess of power.
    Instead I find that my ships struggle and can't hardly support themselves at all. My 31m long drone, specifically, needing a 3x3 block reactor when it can hardly fit a 4x4x1 (thin drone).
    And with the currently absurd distance required for stabilizers, can't even go past that 4x4x1 box it is confined to, because the stabilizers instantly lose efficiency on an already long and spindly drone.

The thruster buff was nice, though with a whopping .50 mass per reactor/stabilizer/chamber, and going from 31 reactor blocks to 27 reactor + 22 stabilizers, it hardly makes up for the increased weight, and the power consumption increase was far too much for an already insanely hungry system.

So what do I get?
    • Absurd reactor/ship size ratios at small scales.
    • Impossibly long distances to achieve 100% stabilizers
    • A 5 block minimum size on Chambers, due to needing large reactor, making having more than one or two of them nigh impractical
    • Invalid Chambers, due to touching Conduits enforcing that nigh impracticability in the confined spaces of drones.
    • Thrusters still suck, just in a new way, with their small buff not justifying the new power cost
    • Nerf to drones and fighters due to greatly increased weight
    • Small ships still suck, and will continue being worthless for the foreseeable future

IMO, it still needs months of work, with the complete lack of "major" config changes required that I'm seeing.
    Have you considered playing with the values in /data/config/blockbehaviourconfig.xml to find ones you think are acceptible? I'm currently holding off updating to newest (extra buggy) dev while I play with those values myself, so I'd love to see other people posting their modifications they think make sense.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Ok I tried the new dev build, I couldn't get in. Critical error NullPointer Exception Null. I tried it 3 times, not working.
    [doublepost=1507857443,1507857214][/doublepost]
    Ok I tried the new dev build, I couldn't get in. Critical error NullPointer Exception Null. I tried it 3 times, not working.
    I had some factioned ships and a factioned station, would that have anything to with The Crash.

now to start a new world again.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    [doublepost=1507857443,1507857214][/doublepost]

I had some factioned ships and a factioned station, would that have anything to with The Crash.

now to start a new world again.
    make a new universe in a seperate install folder for any dev build. it's never a good idea to use an existing world, even from a previous dev build.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    You might be right on that, that means that computers are no longer being aligned to the ship when placing it. that little bug wasn't there before.
    After creating a new world, I checked my fighters cannon computers, they were pointing in the right direction.

So once again, the aimimg of ship weapons are still off.
    [doublepost=1507858556,1507858108][/doublepost]
    make a new universe in a seperate install folder for any dev build. it's never a good idea to use an existing world, even from a previous dev build.
    I'm a way ahead of ya, and allways fresh

Exozen

C-D SOLDIER
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Have you considered playing with the values in /data/config/blockbehaviourconfig.xml to find ones you think are acceptible? I'm currently holding off updating to newest (extra buggy) dev while I play with those values myself, so I'd love to see other people posting their modifications they think make sense.
    I'll try playing with edited values, what I really need is the reactors starting off with huge power:size ratios then quickly dropping off into a more standard growth rate

Exozen

C-D SOLDIER
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4

Guide to reactors: anything between 1 and 5x5 is completely worthless, 5x5 might also be shit, but I don't have any ships of that size.

(pictured, as of Dev v0.200.119)
    • 7, 15, 27, and 93, reactors
    • 2, 8, 22, and 88 stabilizers
    • 2, 7, 10, and 18 required space