New player models coming up.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    This is just great. I was planning on doing a spanish feature lenght machinima using StarMade, and this only encourages me more! Hope to have it soon so I can start filming,

sincerely, the admin of the #1 spanish server :P

Reaction score
    I like the cube-ish head shape of the new model, I feel rounding it to much might feel out of place in Starmade. The rest of the new model looks phenomenal, please keep a cude-like shape for the head and I can\'t wait to see what Dev of the Year has in store.

Reaction score
    Seriously, you\'re concerned about how the player gets his helmet on and off when right now the player crams himself inside a 1x1x1 meter core computer to fly the ship? I\'m guessing the electronics on that thing are at least more than an inch thick around its interior walls. I\'m not even sure there\'s physically enough volume in there to hold the player. (Well, maybe if you melted the player down and poured it in....)

This is the future. Maybe the bottom of the helmet unfolds or is incredibly stretchy to allow the player to put it on. An airtight seal could still be made, easily. I don\'t think how the player gets his helmet on is a big concern.

Reaction score
    That sounds great. :) Hopefully the much more varied animations of the model will make it far more visually interesting, and if you can think of any features or animations for the model that would help with the creation of the machinima, please suggest them. :)

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    lol theres the perfect solution - type : /give_credits \"name\" -1002

your basically giving yourself minus credits, removing the previous ones :3

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I really love the new player model! Great work, Keaton! The proportions are terrific, while still maintaining a unique look. Thanks - it\'s these kinds of details that go a long way toward enhancing the enjoyment of the game. Like illander, I\'m looking forward to all the new animations in store for some machinima creation. :)

Some questions:

1. I know it doubles the work (on all fronts), but are there plans for a different female model?

2. Schema had mentioned equipable items such as different suits/armors, will those be reflected on the model? If so, would they be modeled or use skin swaps?

3. It\'s still early, but what\'s on the slate as far as in-game emotes? Having a set similar to those that are in EQ2 or WoW would be really cool. :)

Thanks again! Looking forward to future updates!

Reaction score
    http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/nio/file/package-summary.html

Created-By: 1.6.0_19-b04 (Sun Microsystems Inc.)

Should also consider moving to Java 7

Reaction score
    I can\'t speak for Schema and he is the one with the final say, but I can give you some unofficial (no promises) responses:

1. This is something I had already been considering and have already seen a surprising amount of support for. It actually wouldn\'t be nearly as much work as you think, so performance is more of a concern than the work required. (Performance is an extremely high priority.) Still, I would like to add a female model at some point in the future when I have the time.

2. I think you can expect new suits that have new models in the future, as well as equipment and accessories that add further detail with the attachment of static models. I can\'t give you a timeframe for it, but the helmet and pistol won\'t be the only things players can take on and off or make use of. :)

3. Reading Illander\'s post above as well as after receiving a private message from someone with a StarMade YouTube series, I had already been thinking about emotes. They were already something I\'d hoped to do, but if there\'s enough demand I\'ll try to make more of them. It\'s always a little of a balancing act between variety and performance. Thankfully, I think their performance hit is minimal. I don\'t think it\'s an immediate priority but emotes are something I\'d like to include in the future.

Reaction score
    Ok you have a point. I am concerned about the 1x1x1 though. I just didn\'t think this was the place to mention that. I just thought the helmets looked a little claustrophobic. It is definitely an improvement on the creature before. The head just looks a bit cumbersome. Any way you can fit in those tight spaces. The math in this shows that you can fit into even smaller spaces. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xziKVv2yQJU) It still looks uncomfortable though. I recomend schema add a captain chair of sorts.

Reaction score
    hey i really like the model but i would like it if you could change the height so you could have dwarves and whatnot

cuz i want to make a high tech dwarf skin with this but it doesnt make sense if its the same height as a human

Reaction score
    The great empty void...

...of your accidentally long comment.

Don\'t worry. A captain\'s chair is another thing I was planning on looking into. ;) And if I make one, I\'ll make sure it can work in small fighters as well, where sitting down casually from a matched ground level may not be the preferred method of entry.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    if you wand your mc skin head on starmade just copy paste and make it bigger it works i did it ?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Looks brilliant! (better than current one) i look forward to making new skins for the new model!.

Cheers!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    i\'ve also have some questions for you.

1. Will the helmets have their own skin file, or is it all smushed into one file?.

2. Are weapons going to have customisable skins?

3. Why not holsters? perhaps players should have to buy holsters from the shop (in the spawn) and THEN could equip pistols and what-not.

4. could there be customisable heights and weights?

Reaction score
    Once again, no promises, but I\'ll answer as best as I can:

1. Unless design is revisited, the helmets currently have their own skin file, though both the interior and exterior of the helmet are on the same file/skin.

2. It is important that people can express themselves visually and have a unique and satisfying personal image, but too much and it begins to create severe performance issues. There is only so much data that is reasonable for a client to spread to a server and every other client connected.

3. Whether or not guns would require holsters is a gameplay detail. You\'d have to ask Schema about that.

4. I do not know if height or weight will become customizable at some point in the future.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Now THIS mention is something I owe you some thanks for. I was already bothered enough by the whole \'magic box that sucks in the astronaut\' thing to post a thread about it in the past. I would like it if actual crewmembers of a ship stay in front of the consoles - not only it would plain feel and look better, but also allow epic battles with crewmembers being injured and dying, trying to salvage the ship, move between decks etc instead of auto-disappearing once the core is breached.

Some basic furniture would also be very appreciated in general. Even just basic things like some random laptop block, a regular spaceship armchair, maybe a table and some bed block for all those crew quarters.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Good thing there will be new player models...

the old/current ones are... not the best in terms of design.

(and they creep me out)

Reaction score
    I just came...to say...I love you <3

Finally a player-model that doesn\'t look like some girl kicked his nuts up to his head ^^