New player models coming up.

Reaction score
    The old player model was already a deforming polygonal model. It\'d be incredibly difficult to make the above model with aligned cubes, not to mention incredibly inefficient. This isn\'t Minecraft; StarMade has full support for proper polygonal models, both for the players and any other model-based features. ;)

As an added bonus, the new player model has a lower polygon count than the old model. In fact, even the body and the helmet combined still have a lower polygon count than the old model. :)

Reaction score
    No promises, but I certainly like the idea of a visual backpack or jetpack. Depends on what Schema feels is appropriate, though.

Reaction score
    The model is already far more detailed than Minecraft\'s player model, though the head is still cubish. (It\'s not actually a perfect cube, it\'s slightly tapered around the edges making it slightly round.) The model\'s design is meant to be more realistic without losing the personality that StarMade has gained.

The intent was to make an iconic character for StarMade, both attractive and unique, that took inspiration from some of the qualities and themes of the old model. It is meant to be something people will look at and think \"StarMade\". Some of the biggest differences between the StarMade and Minecraft player models are that the StarMade player model, while cubic, is more detailed, more dynamic and more organic. This is also meant to represent some of the fundamental differences between StarMade and Minecraft: StarMade is more detailed, more dynamic and more organic, though it is also based on a cubic voxel system. :)

Reaction score
    I plan to provide a template that specifies which part of the texture goes where around the time of release, as well as a shading overlay resource to help people add some shading to their skins in an easy way. :)

Reaction score
    I knew someone would notice, haha. While attention was put into making the UV map final so people won\'t have to \"fix\" their skins if the model is altered, things like vertex weighting can be adjusted later without any negative impact on the player\'s experience. The deformation issues will be fixed over time. :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    While I understand where you come from and the level of detail indeed is different, the style still shouts \'Minecraft\' and I am afraid that it won\'t be really Starmade iconic look nor will it be considered unique simply because that - the style is already claimed by and commonly associated with something else. Enough that when I shown one of the pictures to my acquaintance, he asked me what Minecraft mod it is.

You can create all kinds of \'fusing new with old\' logic, claim the reason is dynamics and detail in voxel world - and it won\'t be a bad explanation. But it won\'t change the fact that I am willing a bet that for many it will be \'voxels I understand, but did they really have to rip Minecraft style?\', even if that will be somewhat unfair statement.

I still would encourage less square characters and generally a bit more serious/realistic style to them - especially since most players, from what I saw of custom skins on a few servers are naturally inclined in that direction; seeming like they don\'t want nice square-ish guy with a portable, quoting one player \"tv set instead of a head\" - they want badass spacefarers, cosmic troopers. At least that\'s my line of reasoning, seeing all those skins reminding me more of space marines, Blacklight: Retributrion armors or Tie-fighter pilot overalls.

As I\'ve stated previously, the new model is an improvement, a big one, over the previous one - so it is cool in it\'s own regard. But sadly, it\'s not as cool when you think what it could have been without much of additional effort and that\'s why I suggest dropping Minecraft style when it comes to characters and other objects which don\'t have to be limited to blocky shapes like \'regular\' blocks are.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Please give us a 3d editor. I would love to be able to load in a 3d model with textures attached. My dream of an anime space captain would be complete.

Reaction score
    Well I like how it is coming but i think that the suit needs just a bit more detail than all that grey. Also I think that if you make the model as you are i suggest working on the moving animation to look less ragdollish like there is only one point of movement and your body is just flailing about around it. I think that besides those things, and maybe some work on being able to fit into 1x2 holes rotated as small as 10 degrees, the animation looks great and the polygon count will be much lower. every little bit of better work on the data usage is a step closer to a better game. Might I also suggest after this, since with a new player model im guessing there might be some hitbox work, maybe schema can work on the collision system a bit more as it is still a little buggy, though not as bad as it used to be.

Reaction score
    It\'s at least TWICE as detailed as the minecraft dude! Knees, elbows, wrists and ankles! A more detailed head would be nice though, to better match the body.

And then we only need to be able to build weapons and armor from blocks for the little guy to wear.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Guess my assumption (look post made up there) about Minecraft being associated with such kind of looks is strong.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I\'ve said it once, I\'ll say it a thousand times again: Schema for Dev of the Year.

He works so hard for us, he deserves the recognition.

Reaction score
    I admit: the head being a cube is perhaps my least favorite aspect of the model as I feel it is lower detail than the rest of the model. It is one of the only things that keeps bugging me as I continue to work with the model. Still, the very neutral shape of a cube does allow a great deal of creative freedom, and like it or not, cubes are the most distinct shape in StarMade.

To be honest, you could show just someone a picture from just about any game which uses voxels and they\'ll ask which Minecraft mod it is. This is because Minecraft has gained such an extreme popularity and cultural presence that simple cubic voxels say \"Minecraft\" no matter what. I\'m sure some pictures of Cube World would also prompt a \"what Minecraft mod is that?\" question, even though the game is very, very different; it simply shares the environment foundation of cubic voxels. Trying to push away from the Minecraft look is futile, as focus should be on making the game the best it can be, not distinguishing it from Minecraft. Minecraft and StarMade will always have visual aspects in common and there\'s nothing wrong with that.

Still, your feedback is noted. :) Consideration will be taken in regards to the head shape. Further rounding of the head, even if the effect is slight, might help a great deal. Having my own gut feeling echoed back by the community suggests listening to it may be wise. We\'ll see where that takes us. :)

Even if the head receives little to no change, give it time. Minecraft has a headstart, but in time, if StarMade continues its rapid growth in popularity, the StarMade player might become more recognizable. Besides, is there any Minecraft player who didn\'t load up StarMade and think \"Hey, it\'s like Minecraft in space!\" before realizing it\'s a lot more than that? I know I did, and I don\'t think it was a bad thing/feeling either.

Oh, and accessories might help alleviate the cubic head issue, not to mention I had other plans in mind that might be more to your taste. ;)

Reaction score
    Don\'t worry. The skin is something I threw together fairly quickly - head and helmet included - because the texture was not my main focus at the time. This is by no means the permanent StarMade default skin. Don\'t worry about the animations either; they will look nothing like the animations of the old model and I think you\'ll be quite satisfied with the detail and limb movement of the new model\'s animations. :)