Light vs Dark Server Redux

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Melvin is proud to present.. Lojack 5000. It's your space age solution to lost ships, hijacked ships, or ships that have run amok. For the mere price of 20 million credits per 100k mass, Melvin will place a secret Lojack device on your ship. It's so small, you can't even see it. It stays active even through faction and name changes, but if your ship flies into a star and blows up, well then, Melvin cannot work miracles. Dismantled ships will also be lost to the wind.

To register a ship with Lojack 5000, you must currently be inside the ship you would like tracked. You must also have the money ready. There will be no refunds. All registered ships will be tracked forever and ever, till they EXPLODE! For help on this command, just type "!help lojack" on the server. As with all other commands, you can use this command in main chat, "command chat" or the dark or light private channels.

And soon, for the nefarious minded, sticky Lojack will be enabled. This will be where Melvin will help you place a tracking beacon on any ship that is in the same sector as you, whether you own it or not. Though these devices have their own portable battery power, and so will only last for four hours. Also stay tuned for quick tracking, where Melvin will let you know once every 30 seconds (for 5 minutes) exactly where any ship you are tracking is. Credit for the original concept of trackers goes to LordSidonus. Thanks for the suggestion! The scripting was done by me! And Melvin is the bot who keeps track of everything.

Next up, instanced quests or pirates for hire. Stay tuned for further progress!

Last edited:
    Reactions: Bogdan

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Here is how I imagine the light. Peace circles, holding hands, basking in "the sunshine." Flowers in your hair, bongos and hacky sacks everywhere. And then the darkness will arrive. The space hippies will run to their RP ships in panic. The marauders will unleash their death machines. Rockets will destroy the fragile circle of light, and soon the stars will grow dim.. when the dust settles, the darkness will remain.
    ...And a spark from the depths of the void will ignite a blazing inferno of light, and the Darkness will vanish in the glory of the new dawn.

Reactions: NaStral

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    It's a caret, not a circumflex... At least, with the US English keyboard layout. In US-International it works as a circumflex AND a caret, which is nice.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Event on Sun 9/18/2016:

Any time you see me online on this day I will be holding duels for interested players. Any vessel you have designed can be used, provided it fits within a 25-30k mass range. I will spawn in the vessel for the participants. This is a great chance to see how that design of yours performs under fire but you've been too shy to use it for fear of losing it.

If i get enough interest I can make this a regular thing, moving up and down the mass scale to accommodate the wide range of builders we host.

Winning a fight will net you 5 bronze bars. Participation will get you 1.

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    After a long time in my scripting cage.. I have finished my current project. I am proud to present.. Instanced Questing! Unless someone beat us to it.. I believe our server is the first one to have instanced quests! Though we are starting with humble beginnings, our basic quest wrapper is now finished!

The first quest available is called "Mystery Box." It's a daily, instanced quest that players can take part in, and Melvin, our friendly, psychotic bot will assist you with taking part in it. It takes place in a still universe that seems quite straightforward.. But something is a little off.. Can you figure out all the secrets of.. The Mystery Box?

And on that note, we are looking for players who have fun innovating and creating elaborate content. We have a solid admin team, and pages of unique ideas we would like to bring to life and implement. The more developers on these projects we have, the more it would equate to more innovative and unique content available on StarMade. So come join us out here on the bleeding edge of StarMade Modding! If you would like to apply to become a developer for our server, join us on Discord (Client Recommended): Discord or come check us out at lvdserver.b33r.us:5252 (Also on the main server list, of course).

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    quick question how would I acquire a new pistol I cant find an advance shop any were.
    edit never mind.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Rebuilders Seal.png

ANNOUNCEMENT: The server reset has been completed. The 4th incarnation of Light Vs Dark is ready to be settled.

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Much shiney, such wow! New Spawnbase, fresh world!

And just to announce, the "!align" feature is now complete. To set your alignment, in game type "!align light/dark/neutral". Alignment goes by faction, so this is for faction founders only and it set to the faction a player is in. More features concerning alignment will becoming soon!

Reactions: Ghent96
    Reaction score
    Certain players keep on having this issue and it's been getting worse the past few updates from Schine.
    well I think I found a work around how ever due to my internet being really slow right now I cant fully test it.
    what I did was I took the Clint data base folder copied it deleted the original copied the copy back into the Starmade folder and I got an error that I normally get when my internet is throttled. so I cant fully tell if this works or not until the 24,

edit never mind dose not work.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    well I think I found a work around how ever due to my internet being really slow right now I cant fully test it.
    what I did was I took the Clint data base folder copied it deleted the original copied the copy back into the Starmade folder and I got an error that I normally get when my internet is throttled. so I cant fully tell if this works or not until the 24,
    Yeah, sadly it seems like SM has been more prone to dropping people with spotty connections lately. A few updates ago this wasn't the case.

During a really heavy lag spike on server there was a ton of messages saying "waiting for pong, true" or something like that and a particular player would lag super hard despite not being in an object heavy area with no collisions etc. When the player was kicked and messaged to log back in, the server would be fine upon return he/she's return, with the same circumstances in terms of the loaded area. I don't know if this instance is necessarily related to yours but it's a possibility.

So far it's been quite smooth though, but I still do see a lot players logging in then quickly losing connection then coming back. Sadly not all of them are persistent enough to try a second time. Something has definitely changed which has adversely affected players being able to maintin a connection, especially if their service is low bandwidth.

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Good news though. We had a surprise test of the server with 250+ NPC ships sieging the base of my player account's faction, totalling around 1m mass worth of ships.. Though this behavior was not desired.. it was a good test of the server. Someone who has had connection problems in the past was able to keep functioning with relatively no lag, even with insane chaos breaking out in my sector. lol. I ended up deleting the entities and setting "The Light" NPC faction to neutral to everyone.. since it seems to bug out when set to war.. but.. yeah, so.. we're making progress here. lol.

Also, we will be moving to a better single-core performance CPU here shortly, so that should help alleviate some of the problems we've been having, as the game has been putting more and more of a load on the main thread (thus overloading a single core, while leaving the other cores unused).

Reactions: Winterhome