Light vs Dark Server Redux

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Yeah. But they all know who I am now. I'd have to go to another server to pull that kind of stunt. They'd probably ban me and block my IP if they ever found out it was me. :D

That's part of the reason why I buff the warhead damage on my own PC. That way, all the cores overheat after the warheads explode. It cuts down on clutter that way.

Reaction score
    It is indeed correct. Factions with less than 3 separate members will be purged every Friday. We're trying to encourage faction warfare, and having dozens of one-man factions with invulnerable bases is a serious detriment to the land-grab warfare we're trying to set up. Similarly, neutral factions are on thin ice, and may be attacked by light or dark solely for the territory they own. They really need to have the manpower and fleet to enforce their neutrality, or they're likely going to get shitstomped.

This may change in the future if we switch to an alternative system, in which it costs points to keep the faction and people gain points for owning systems. That's still up in the air, though.

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    It is indeed correct. Factions with less than 3 separate members will be purged every Friday. We're trying to encourage faction warfare, and having dozens of one-man factions with invulnerable bases is a serious detriment to the land-grab warfare we're trying to set up. Similarly, neutral factions are on thin ice, and may be attacked by light or dark solely for the territory they own. They really need to have the manpower and fleet to enforce their neutrality, or they're likely going to get shitstomped.

This may change in the future if we switch to an alternative system, in which it costs points to keep the faction and people gain points for owning systems. That's still up in the air, though.
    You just blew my day with that. This is the exact opposite of the play style I'm interested in.

I would have never agreed to take over the Light faction, or even come back to LvD if I had known this; as I'd be forced to do nothing but fight. So what happens if/when people leave factions or stop logging on and you get stuck with only 1-2 man factions who are active? I'm not willing to let just anyone into my faction. There are too many reckless, or tricky players who can either ruin it from within or just waste your resources. That's why I asked for specific players that I already know and trust, to join me.

Are you seriously going to kick the active 1-2 man factions? What about the Toast King? Rumor has it, he was a one-man faction capable of shit-stomping everyone else on the server, almost simultaneously.

Reaction score
    I'm not willing to let just anyone into my faction. There are too many reckless, or tricky players who can either ruin it from within or just waste your resources. That's why I asked for specific players that I already know and trust, to join me.
    You're in command of the private light faction, Whammy, which means you can pick and choose people to bring in.

As I explained previously, yes, we're encouraging combat. Do you have to fight constantly? No, so long as you set adequate defenses in claimed sectors.

And again, we're putting the kaibosh on undersized factions because we were unhappy with how few people on the last server contributed towards the greater good. If people would rather mine or design ships than fight, by all means, do so. But do it for one of the active factions that benefit from it, instead of sitting in your invulnerable corner of space with no outside contact and half a dozen warships docked and gathering dust. If people want to create a faction, three people isn't impossible. If they don't have three people, join the public light, dark, or trade guild until they do.

I'm sorry if this doesn't jive with you, man, but we all thought long and hard about this. We think it'll work, and would like to have you on board, but it's your choice and we won't pressure you either way.

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I've given this some thought. I'm sorry, but this new rule is too restrictive to my liking. I can see it easily coming back to bite me at some point.

The truth is; while I don't mind making alliances, there are very few people I trust to have in a faction with me. If they aren't online, I'm by myself and I don't have the time and patience to screen replacements every time someone leaves the game. On the other hand, If I don't screen, I run the risk of having the same difficulties Councilor_Marek had; e.g., people not mining/contributing resources, wasting resources, starting unintended wars with other factions etc. Then there are players who decide to take your best ships 'sun bathing' when you aren't around. :confused:

You and I seem to have drastically different reasons for playing this game; which is unfortunate since I was originally working on RP, quests and Trade Union content for your players to take advantage of to break up the monotony.

Furthermore, every PVP environment I've been in behaves in exactly the same way:
    - put together a gang. (I'm very picky about who's in my gang)
    - hope they don't wreck you from the inside. (This is why I'm picky)
    - build big ships. (which I don't normally do, due to lack of time)
    - kill little ships. (compared to you guys, I am the little ships)
    - lather, rinse, repeat... (facepalms...)

I think it's time for me to go. For what it's worth, it was fun while it lasted. Drop me a line if you ever change your mind or decide you want something on your server other than PVP.

Reactions: JinM
    Reaction score
    The main Light and dark private and public factions are exempt from the 3 member rule, I should have mentioned.

But your mind seems made up, so I wish you the best of luck.

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Thanks man,

You too.

Reaction score
    Yeah. I'm in the same boat as above, really, because I don't readily trust other people (Met too many people who enjoy destruction just because. I've seen it on plenty of other games all too often), and really hate restarting something because somebody else couldn't be bothered to respect my property or my work. That's why I only ever really play with my brother or friends.

As somebody else on this forum said once, I don't really like to play with people who I can't hunt down and speak with. You can say anything through a computer, even with voice chat. But it's a lot harder to lie face-to-face. Anyway, if I don't know who they are or where they are, how can I hunt them down to give them a good slap? "What do you mean, you lost the battleship??!?!?!?!" *SLAP* "You can't lose things like that!!!!" *Slap*

Anyway, Dr. Whammy, if you ever feel like building a 3-man faction, my brother and I could join.
    No guarantees on, well, anything, except your stuff won't turn up destroyed (Or, if it does, all I can say is "It's not my fault!") and we'll probably (Read: definitely) be online sometimes (Read: Far more than is healthy or reasonable).

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I've given this some thought. I'm sorry, but this new rule is too restrictive to my liking. I can see it easily coming back to bite me at some point.

The truth is; while I don't mind making alliances, there are very few people I trust to have in a faction with me. If they aren't online, I'm by myself and I don't have the time and patience to screen replacements every time someone leaves the game. On the other hand, If I don't screen, I run the risk of having the same difficulties Councilor_Marek had; e.g., people not mining/contributing resources, wasting resources, starting unintended wars with other factions etc. Then there are players who decide to take your best ships 'sun bathing' when you aren't around. :confused:

You and I seem to have drastically different reasons for playing this game; which is unfortunate since I was originally working on RP, quests and Trade Union content for your players to take advantage of to break up the monotony.

Furthermore, every PVP environment I've been in behaves in exactly the same way:
    - put together a gang. (I'm very picky about who's in my gang)
    - hope they don't wreck you from the inside. (This is why I'm picky)
    - build big ships. (which I don't normally do, due to lack of time)
    - kill little ships. (compared to you guys, I am the little ships)
    - lather, rinse, repeat... (facepalms...)

I think it's time for me to go. For what it's worth, it was fun while it lasted. Drop me a line if you ever change your mind or decide you want something on your server other than PVP.

I'm sorry that I scared you so badly. Here, have a hacky sack, on the house. *Hands you a hacky sack* ;)

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Will the server be updating to the new patch any time soon? Just wondering :)

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Will the server be updating to the new patch any time soon? Just wondering :)
    Already patched. The server does an auto-update every night at 5am EST. Though we did a manual update at 3am, since we didn't feel like waiting. I may script in a solution later to perform an update check every hour or something and then perform the update. So many servers do the whole nightly thing, and I think we can do better. :) Though I'd need to talk to Thrace and Ark first before implementing such a thing.

Reactions: StoneCyfer
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Lol ya, I was on when yall did the update. But thank you for the post in case the other players were unaware of the update!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Good luck with this. Always nice to see more experiments and attempts at alternative currency economies. I encourage you to drop the credits entirely, though, and only use your custom currency blocks. It CAN be done. Other servers have proven it ;)

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Good luck with this. Always nice to see more experiments and attempts at alternative currency economies. I encourage you to drop the credits entirely, though, and only use your custom currency blocks. It CAN be done. Other servers have proven it ;)
    I'm unsure what the benefit would be to eliminating credits entirely, but having alternate currency helps make things interesting, I think. I finished a kiosk system that will dispense blueprints (or other goods) for bronze/silver/gold bars. We may rent kiosks out to players as well, for them to run their own shops. This is all a work in progress, of course, so stay tuned as things shape up! We're also looking into what may be possible with NPC's and Lua scripts. The end result will be very interesting, I think. :)

This is the prototype I built. It takes 5 bronze bars and outputs 1 starter ship to players.

If It runs out of blueprints to dispense, it goes into shut-down mode, turning off the blue and white lights, and uncovering some display modules stating that the shop is out of stock. This will make it easy for a kiosk owner to know they need to restock as well.

Reactions: Kamika
    Reaction score
    Hey, I was wondering if you guys were open to config edits to make the pvp more balanced and engaging

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Hey, I was wondering if you guys were open to config edits to make the pvp more balanced and engaging
    There have been a ton of config edits. This is not a vanilla server.

A few pertaining to PVP include:
    1. Turn radius speed was increased.
    2. Damage beams have the same range as cannons. This is to help with AI vessels that would normally move out of range of their own damage beam weapons if equipped with cannons. This is also to help make beams more viable.
    3. Warheads were buffed/cost increased so that they are viable as torpedos.

What changes were you thinking of?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Inverse configs!!!!!

Though light and dark will require admin god powers to ensure they remain invulnerable.