ElwynEternity Starmade server

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    How about just not having the donor system change personal gameplay capabilities in any way? That is the best and the most honest way to run this. If you're giving them anything in return for their "donation", it's not a donation anymore. It's them paying you and you providing them a service in return. That is not a donor system.

So sure, such a benefit like teleportation is nice to the people who donate, but for the people who don't or can't donate, it puts them at an unfair disadvantage. For people who have money, they have a dishonest incentive at hand by which to encourage their donating: not to help upkeep the server, but to give themselves an edge in combat. Call it what you want, but that's abusive no matter what way you spin it.

For example, those donors are able to use such a feature to skip having to put jump drives on their ships. They can just TP somewhere when they need to, not having to expend as much effort to mine for materials for jump drive components.
    It also enables them to TP out of and into combat with their enemy whenever they want.
    Your idea of using mass is noble, but there's a major problem with that: the donors could also simply build a little stickship and take advantage of its light mass to TP to their enemy's space quickly, then spawn in a pre-filled-up Titan blueprint to destroy their enemy, then run, hide, quickly build it down, then TP back again, no problem. There is just no way to solve that problem.

And for those non-donors, when they lose, it makes the donors who just kicked their butts look like abusive A-holes, and it makes the donor system appear very corrupt, and in turn reflects badly on the server administration.

The solution to all that frustrating bullcrap? Just run an honest, non-interfering donor system. If they really love and enjoy your server, and aren't simply interested in gaining teleportation powers so they can more easily destroy everyone and piss people off, then they will donate to the server regardless of what benefits or lack of benefits you give in return.

Not at all. But having the donor system give players any sort of access to such a powerful command is abusive and encourages pay-to-win gameplay. A donor is just that - someone who gives money to a cause expecting nothing in return. If you're giving them something back to encourage donations then it's no longer a donor system but a pay-to-win scheme.

Even so, there are surely other incentives that can be given to players who contribute money to server upkeep that does not give such "donors" such an unfair and abusive power on the server. They could have special access to VIP warpgates, like CyberTao suggested. Players could then know to build their bases away from the vicinity of those gates to avoid attacks from donors in titans.
    we are not allowed to tp into or out of combat
    almost all my ships have jumpdrives even tho i have donor tp.
    i prefer jump drive for short jumps rather than donor tp
    also jump drive is used to get out of combat

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    we are not allowed to tp into or out of combat
    almost all my ships have jumpdrives even tho i have donor tp.
    i prefer jump drive for short jumps rather than donor tp
    also jump drive is used to get out of combat
    How do you enforce that? You can't. All you can do is deal with people after they've done the damage if they choose to use the donor TP for such purposes. How do you know they actually intended to get in combat, rather than simply having been attacked by an enemy faction and "defending themselves"? At the end of the day there is no way to enforce such a rule for the donor TP other than to ban the people that abuse it whenever others report it.

Sure, you could say that the chance of such an event occurring might be rare, but I know from experience that there are plenty of people out there on online games who'd gladly pay a small fee to be able to destroy their enemies easier, even if it cost them an account on the server. After all, they can always store up what they had before on their previous account in a safe somewhere hidden in the galaxy, and simply go back to that safe and use everything in it on their alt once they're banned on the first account.

Any way you look at this, the donor system is abusive if it gives players any such powers, and you have no way to reasonably prevent its abuse. All you can do is grab a mop after the damage has happened.

This is just one of several reasons why Elewyn Eternity needs to be fundamentally revamped and is one of the reasons why I do not want to play on it until these problems are resolved.

Last edited:

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I know I'm recycling the same old crap that game publishers use to justify DLC, but:

Servers cost money. Alot of money. And we will be getting an even more expensive one soon to help with the lag.

Sure, for less game intensive games that can run with smaller, less powerful servers, you can cope with less donations. But starmade needs a expensive server to power it. If we could, we wouldnt have the donations we have, I honestly hate them, but they are required to keep the server online. I agree fully with you, the donor TP is PTW, but we cant afford to run the server from our own pocket. We also need to pay for the other, albeit smaller and cheaper, servers that provide the supporting services, such as the teamspeak, the website, the other gameservers we run. Donation rewards are a time proven method, even to the point of game publishers using a variation.

"why not shut down the server if you cant afford it" we're providing a service just by having the server on. Turning the server off would annoy people. Plus we have spent 2 years building a community around the game, we're not just going to abandon that based on lack of funds.

"impose mass limits" No. this is the entire reason Elwyn exists, to be a haven for those who dont want to be limited by other servers, and still difficult to moderate with the current state of the game.

While yes, there is no real way to moderate the Donor TP, we have proven several times, most recently with Joel, that it can and will be removed if abused.

Simple matter of the fact is, people like getting things in return for their hard earned cash, and we dont feel comfortable asking for that cash without giving something in return.

IMO, the donor gate system would not work. The entire idea of the system is to provide a better way of getting around, from galaxy to galaxy. This would require us putting in alot of work to expand the network, time that is precious with jobs/school. We would also be unable to apply it too existing donors. they paid for Donor Tp, not warpgates.

Feel free to suggest alternative ways to raise cash for the server, but until such a time where there is a viable method of getting enough donations to keep the server online. If one of us win the lottery and can pour that into the server we'l let you know :P

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    What exactly is the financial situation for the server owners? How many of you have jobs and are able to earn money to upkeep it?

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Not sure where gravy gets his money, but he has a small income that goes to the server and preparing for college,

I have a job that does not pay enough for me to be able to carry the weight of no donations.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Not sure where gravy gets his money, but he has a small income that goes to the server and preparing for college,

I have a job that does not pay enough for me to be able to carry the weight of no donations.
    Ok, yeah, that makes sense then that you're in the situation you are in. I would normally say that in such situations people should not attempt hosting servers on this scale, but I know it's important to you guys so I respect that you want to try anyway. Still, all the previous servers I have played on have not had this donor issue because the server owners generally funded the whole server themselves. How much is hosting those other servers, like the TS one, cutting into the hosting costs?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    So, do you guys have any plans to fix that outdated config of yours? And have you considered my suggestion for trying the server with some vanilla config values for weapons and shield block functionality?

Some changes I REALLY suggest:
    • Make shield capacitators and rechargers work the same as they do on vanilla
    • Make weapons work the same as they do on vanilla: vanilla damage, power cost, and everything else
    • Make thruster blocks work the same as they do on vanilla
    • Make power capacitators work the same as they do on vanilla
    • Make effect blocks such as ion defense function the way they do on vanilla (rather than them killing the ships power and being useless)
    Some things to keep the same:
    • The large sector sizes
    • The high speed limit
    • AI accuracy for turrets; the PD works well on the server as it is.

I know you guys (at least deadlis) likes this "custom balance" you guys have worked out, and I know you haven't really experimented with the new vanilla values for Starmade, but you need to give them a try, because they are wonderful, and Schema and everyone else has been working on them together ever since StarMade was first run.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Just to add on to what therimmer96 is saying, I have no income. I spend most of my free time doing community theater work--for which I do not get paid. What little time I have left is put into making starmade somewhat playable. The initial money that was put into starting EE was all of my birthday money collected since I was ~8 years old. I recently checked, and the community has just passed how much money I put into the server (as of a few weeks ago).

When I made the donation perks I made them to be fair with the time & status of the game. Everything is meant to encourage exploration, fighting, and lots of PVP. These perks where implemented back before this forum even existed. The TP system was created to help people spread around the galaxy. The blocks where for building big ships. The credits where for trading in game. I can't help but feel like they served their original purpose and still do in some small way today. I also feel partialy respnsible for schema adding jump drives so early on in the game's life cycle--or at least I want to think that.

We have had this problem come up many times with the community and every time I have worked to my fullest to quench the flames by patching & reworking the system. I take criticism from the TP system seriously and even more so when it comes from people who actively play on the server.

To put it bluntly: most people don't even notice the plugin's existence. Most people don't even know that you can donate. If the effects of something are obviously not prevalent in game-play then I don't feel it is possible for someone to have a reasonable critique of it. I feel inclined to mention that, although I feel this way, I have been proven wrong on many occasions. People have abused the system and they have been dealt with. Just as a quick side note we take away donation privileges at the first sign of abuse. It has happened to two players already.

I would normally say that in such situations people should not attempt hosting servers on this scale, but I know it's important to you guys so I respect that you want to try anyway.
    I don't think "try" is the correct word in this case and I can't help but feel slightly offended by it. We have been doing fine--at least in my eyes--up to this point. I think in this stage of starmade's life cycle more people would be upset if we shutdown the server than if we continued to accepted donations as we always have.

Still, all the previous servers I have played on have not had this donor issue because the server owners generally funded the whole server themselves.
    EE is not like most other servers. I listen to the community and will change things to people's liking. I am generally a friendly and reasonable guy. I feel that many of the bigger faction leaders have come to know me as such. EE is more community funded and run than anything I have seen out there. I pride myself on that, I don't feel like a dictator with an evil mustache. I feel more like a president of a democracy or a DM who is just here to make sure the game stays fun.

My admin's call me the "glorified on button" because I just make sure things run smoothly.

How much is hosting those other servers, like the TS one, cutting into the hosting costs?
    Not much. The server infrastructure I have designed for the community is one that I am very proud of. We have 5 servers, they respectively live in NYC, Netherlands, the main server for starmade, and my backup server in my home.

The mini-non-starmade servers cost collectively about $50 USD/year. The server starmade runs on is much more expensive.

These other servers run:
    • Landing page
    • Forums
    • Teamspeak
    • Uptime monitoring
    • Git server
    • Donation tracking
    • Backup
    • Log management
    • Personal projects
    [DOUBLEPOST=1429068006,1429067418][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Some changes I REALLY suggest:
    • Make shield capacitators and rechargers work the same as they do on vanilla
    • Make weapons work the same as they do on vanilla: vanilla damage, power cost, and everything else
    • Make thruster blocks work the same as they do on vanilla
    • Make power capacitators work the same as they do on vanilla
    • Make effect blocks such as ion defense function the way they do on vanilla (rather than them killing the ships power and being useless
    While a few things need to be change, many of them do not need to be.

The final item on the list is the only one I agree with. We added this in with the infinite shield bug still being exploited in the community.

The other items I do not agree with. For one reason, the weapons/shield dichotomy is a very important concept that you do not seem to understand. We have tried to explain it to you many times and you have not gotten it to date. Our weapons and shield are scaled accordingly. This makes them as effective as they are in vanilla. We did this in such a way as to provide a canvas for creating ever expanding ships.

Here is an experiment:

In a vanilla, you have a ship that has 1000 shields, 100 weapon damage, and 500 power recharge. On our server, it would look more like 100 shields, 10 weapon damage, and 50 power recharge. As you can see they are proportionally smaller, this makes it so that the weapons function the same as they would in vanilla, it is just that you see a smaller number. This prevents overflow errors that happen in some mega-large ships.

I know you guys (at least deadlis) likes this "custom balance" you guys have worked out, and I know you haven't really experimented with the new vanilla values for Starmade, but you need to give them a try, because they are wonderful, and Schema and everyone else has been working on them together ever since StarMade was first run.
    From what I have been told, the new balance changes really decrease the length of time and amount of skill that goes into a battle. That is not very ideal for a PvP server. I want mid-length fights and a lot of skill required in my server.

Slapping down a brick of X here and another brick of Y there and controlling your ship like a spastic monkey shouldn't give you the win just because they shot first.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    While a few things need to be change, many of them do not need to be.

The final item on the list is the only one I agree with. We added this in with the infinite shield bug still being exploited in the community.

The other items I do not agree with. For one reason, the weapons/shield dichotomy is a very important concept that you do not seem to understand. We have tried to explain it to you many times and you have not gotten it to date. Our weapons and shield are scaled accordingly. This makes them as effective as they are in vanilla. We did this in such a way as to provide a canvas for creating ever expanding ships.

Here is an experiment:

In a vanilla, you have a ship that has 1000 shields, 100 weapon damage, and 500 power recharge. On our server, it would look more like 100 shields, 10 weapon damage, and 50 power recharge. As you can see they are proportionally smaller, this makes it so that the weapons function the same as they would in vanilla, it is just that you see a smaller number. This prevents overflow errors that happen in some mega-large ships.

From what I have been told, the new balance changes really decrease the length of time and amount of skill that goes into a battle. That is not very ideal for a PvP server. I want mid-length fights and a lot of skill required in my server.

Slapping down a brick of X here and another brick of Y there and controlling your ship like a spastic monkey shouldn't give you the win just because they shot first.
    First let me say my intention here is not to argue with you or be a jerk but that I genuinely care about the welfare of Elewyn Eternity and I see some areas where it could use significant improvement gameplay-wise to function better. Administration-wise as well, but that's a bit too political sometimes for me to bother getting into. However I do take admin corruption and P2W issues very seriously and I have always condemned such immoral practices.

I've tried EE's balance, and it leaves much to be desired. I admit I don't know the numbers, and I can't do the math, but here is what I can tell you from experience of playing on the server. My vanilla ships do not work properly at all on Elewyn's current block config. I have a cool frigate I built and then subsequently my faction constructed it on your server. Allow me to list the problems I experienced:
    • The missile systems require too much power to fire; same with my once-affordable overdrive beam
    • The shields are 2/3rds of what they used to be (I had 975k shields on my frigate on vanilla starmade; on your server I had around 600k)
    • Engines are too strong and put a greater strain on power.
    • My ion defense system is fairly useless because it sucks most of the ship's power regen (it was around 50k e/sec drain on vanilla but on your config it is around 500k)
    • On the vanilla config my ship has ~900k power regen and 4.5 million power tankage. On your server the tankage was somehow at 5 million but the power regeneration was decreased. Ironically despite the increased tankage my missile weapons still could not afford to properly fire.
    • My ship's anti-shield missiles, which fire fine on vanilla with just a little power to spare, require far too much power on your server to fire the full salvo, and I am only able to fire half the array (it's two powerful beam-ion missiles on a full volley)
    • The jump drive works fine on vanilla but was too strong when my factionmates spawned it in on your server; I ended up experiencing power failures when I attempted to charge it
    • The shields on my turrets were next to useless with the decreased shield values, and thus it was more economical to just scrap them than let them be missile fodder.
    Fixing all these problems on my ship just so it can run on your single server - apart from every other server - is just not worth the time and effort. I spend a very long time painstakingly going over every single system on each ship I make to ensure it works as efficiently as possible on the vanilla game config. The last ship I built took a year and a half to complete. When I try to bring the ships I've built onto Elewyn and have fun using them, I can't, because all their weapon systems and everything else malfunction and have to be totally reworked to work to this "custom balance" you insist is so good.

Let me ask this: If this balance you use is so good, why is it so exclusive and compatibility-unfriendly? If it's the same proportions like you say it is, why not just use the normal vanilla configuration anyway? I know, you'd counter-argue that it creates errors for people in very large ships. But those same ships are the ones that kill the server on a regular basis and anger and frustrate countless players on this game every day, with their massive size either lagging people out so they can't fight or simply crashing their game, while afterwards the titan's extremely powerful weapons demolish everything that person in the smaller ship worked for. That size of ship should be last on the list of gameplay-feasibility concerns. I have very rarely met a titan anyway that isn't as you said here: "Slapping down a brick of X here and another brick of Y there and controlling your ship like a spastic monkey".

I would encourage you to make your config more ship-compatibility-friendly with the default game, so more people can enjoy using their ships. A good way to do that at least is to normalize the power consumption and power supplying/storing functions for ships so they're the same as on vanilla. That way, my weapons and effect systems consume the same power on vanilla, and my regen and tankage for power stay the same, so that checks off having to completely redesign my power regen, power storage, and weapons systems to match. That would just leave for me to tweak a few systems if there were any other differences on the block config.

At this point, I am getting quite anxious to return to my factionmates, so at this point I'd be satisfied if just at least that was fixed.

Where did you hear the new balance changes make battles shorter and less fun? That's the exact opposite of the truth. Schema doubled the base shield capacitator value from 55 to 110, meaning ships that formerly had 5 million shields now have 10. He didn't really mess with weapons at all. Battles on vanilla now last about twice as long, and relatively longer even with shields down, now that the punchthrough system effect for cannons has been balanced with the other tertiary effects.

I am in full agreement on this, and such an issue of giganticism is what I have always strongly opposed in StarMade gameplay. We need less people flying around being A-holes obliterating everything in blocky/ugly solo-titans and more people doing cooperative fleet combat. Ironically, Elewyn has been the number one server to be plagued with this problem of unfair titan-oriented combat, and this is testified to by the presence of major factions on it such as the Vaygr, and the accompanying frequently-high ping rates. Joel's most recent escapades are also evidence of this problem. We need smaller ships, lower pings and bigger fleets, not bigger ships and higher pings and solo-flying "action hero" jerks.

the weapons/shield dichotomy is a very important concept that you do not seem to understand. We have tried to explain it to you many times and you have not gotten it to date.
    I'll try to ignore this hurtful insult for now and just tell you this. I've been playing this game for two years now. I am one of the oldest members of this community next to Comr4de. I've been around here longer than even most of the SCHINE staff. I understand the weapon and shield dichomoty very well. I have used it and experimented with it firsthand before there ever was such a concept of a shield-weapon dichotomy. I know from experience what works best and what doesn't work. I admit I am not good when it comes to math or calculating proportions, but I know what plays the most fun yet also equally challenging for fair starship combat. I trust the current vanilla configuration fully and I like how it works.

I have played on vanilla for years, and it has now reached a point where the balance on vanilla is next to perfect for general starship combat. I have played on your server for about a week with my faction-mates, enough time to get into larger starship battles and whatnot (faction teamwork for the win) and have found from my play experience that your shield/weapon balance appears to lean towards deadlier and quicker-ending conflicts because ship systems are disproportionately mismatched when compared to vanilla. I admit I cannot make that claim from a mathematical standpoint, but I can make it from one of personal experience. I just know.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    I don't like getting dragged into server owner fights. Because my name was used I'll say this much.

There are some oversights that I feel should be corrected.
    1. Beam Range at max beam slave is 2km. This is uh, kinda puny compared to cannons and missiles.
    2. As planr mentioned, passive effects border on uselessness due to power consumption.
    3. Jumpdrive spool up time is crazy fast. Not sure why.
    Other than that, I sympathize with gravy. I'm sure you hear this very often, and I remember dealing with this on a much greater scale when I helped with NHC. A server move to the US (and an upgrade, if possible) would be nice but I can understand your situation

Planr please try to refrain from summoning me like this and namedropping me :S It inflates my ego

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    There are some oversights that I feel should be corrected.
    1. Beam Range at max beam slave is 2km. This is uh, kinda puny compared to cannons and missiles.
    2. As planr mentioned, passive effects border on uselessness due to power consumption.
    3. Jumpdrive spool up time is crazy fast. Not sure why.
    In my knowledge, most of the odd changes like these were to compensate for bugs and issues when they where first added. Effects were broken and easily surpassed 100% for example. I have no idea why it wasn'y fixed/readjusted after it was unbuggified, but it stayed as it was.

Beams are weird, feels like not too long ago I heard about a bug that caused an issue with long range beams, they could not damage blocks after a relatively short distance. Short beam ranges were probably to get around that, it's better to have people yell at a server config, than at a bug (overall anyways).

I'm sure there was something with Jumpdrive as well (probably to balance it against their own TP system if nothing else). Most of the oddities with their configs (to my knowledge) were because of problem X, which may or may not exist anymore. A constantly changing config isn't fun to play with I find, and it takes a bit of work to sort through bug fixes and test them.

And so ends my random 2cents. Their config is weird at times, but there is probably a reason for it. /WaddlesOut

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    CyberTao since beams are hitscan, starmade might run into floating-point precision errors if the hitscan stretches out for too long.
    But still, it'd be most useful if EE used default block configs a little more in order to not butcher too many blueprints created elsewhere.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I will deposit my respectful two cents as well.

The solution to all that frustrating bullcrap? Just run an honest, non-interfering donor system. If they really love and enjoy your server, and aren't simply interested in gaining teleportation powers so they can more easily destroy everyone and piss people off, then they will donate to the server regardless of what benefits or lack of benefits you give in return.
    Your point of view is very noble, but from my own experience running Illusive on 2013, the cold hard truth is : almost no one is going to donate to a server with no return and no reward in mind. The same applies to voting : If no reward is given, nobody is going to care; doesn't matter if the server is smooth or the most popular of the community. Given EE's high budget requirement, donations are a must-have, like gravy said himself.

But I agree on the configurations. They are outdated and needs tweaking, and we have a problem (thinking about the goal of avoiding overflows) since we can't just divide every single default number by 2 (or any number at all), because of the [1]cannon+[1]cannon's minimum damage of being 1. Better using vanilla for now until Deadlis and cia. can think, plan and execute complete config.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Honestly, i dont mind if servers try to fix/improve the dreadfull current weapon balance, i even would encourage that.
    But after looking into the block configs, and reading about the issues regarding power systems and effect system, my factions members will propably be losing interest in migrating to EE once i tell them about the effects of the current configs, since we would have to remove all or ships systems and rebuild them yet again, which is sad considering the population and good ping we get on EE.

So, i got some questions.

1: Would it be in your interest to rework the current blockbehavior configs to allow vanilla build ships to work? Id gladly help with this and work on a config suggestion if you could tell me what exactly you wish to have in the end. See it as free help you can decline at any time.
    2: I couldnt find any information regarding the pirates except some forum posts about them being rediculous in size, ending in just fueling the creation of doombricks, so i would like to ask if you could post some informations about those, that would be very appreciated, as its another point of our concern.
    3: While i get the idee behind no mass restriction, and even like that very much to some extent, im wondering if there will be some rules against literal "doomcube/doombrick" ships, in terms of just a flying brick or cube of system block with no or just a blank hull around them, as well as a rule against gamebreaking ship sized (above 1 million mass).

Thanks in advance!

I trust the current vanilla configuration fully and I like how it works.
    I have played on vanilla for years, and it has now reached a point where the balance on vanilla is next to perfect for general starship combat
    Im sorry but i must say something about this.
    Just go do some calculations on the weapons, look at the DPS differences, the complete nonrecognition regarding DPS/Alpha vs Range and many other factors. Currently only 4, if you stretch it 5, weapons, out off 20 are actually usefull, and even those are not balanced. There are glaring issues in the current weapon balance.

Last edited:
    Reactions: SirBunalot
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The LIVE Idiotplaysgames Q&A session will begin in 30 minutes. There is a room on elwyn eternity's teamspeak server at the bottom called "Idiotplaysgames Q&A." If you would like to join, please join that room.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    if the point overflow errors for large ships are not game-crashing then i would say just don't worry about them. people really have no business using ships that big anyways other than to be jerks to other people. how big a ship are we talking anyway? 1km? i'd say a 600m ship is even really pushing it. those sizes of ships always have crippled server performance anyhow so they should be the least priority on feasibility, like i said before.

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    First of all, before I jump into the furball that already formed:

Congratulations for the EE staff and player community for taking and securely holding the well-deserved #1 position on the starmade-servers.com list!

And now, to the tougher part.

While EE still is the greatest server, and I do agree with (and adore) some points in the server config. Such as:
    1. Buffed jump drive range and block ratio (the later being the main reason of he faster charge)
    2. Buffed warp gate range (YES PLEASE)
    3. Buffed thruster power.
    4. Buffed power caps

However I do agree with some of the criticism.

1. Damage beams do have a range so short they practically became useless. Either they should be scaled up, or the rest of the weapons should be scaled down, to match. The later should make fights a little more interesting as well since right now most of it occurs on the edge of visual range using missile/beam setups anyway.

2. Missile/pulse damage and missile speed nerf was put there for a damn good reason. EE config should keep up with that. Right now, the Alpha pirate station for example, does 200K alpha damage. On vanilla it's more like 1/4 of that.

3. Defensive effects are capped by default, so the ridiculous power consumption should be fixed, as both parties mentioned it was introduced originally to prevent going over the cap. That has been long since taken care of.

4. Shield and armor values should indeed match up to default, as well as the cannon base fire rate. This would let smaller ships stand a chance and make battles last longer due to the increased toughness of the combatant vessels - a goal the Elwyn staff admittedly strives for. If that doesn't work, at least match the ratios.

5. Power generation cap should be decreased back to 1m/sec. This only encouraged gigantism, as it made easier to make bigger ships power-efficient.

6. Reset the jammer power consumption to default. This would further discourage gigantism, as smaller ships (up to ~10K mass) could easier keep up the jammer indefinitely, and keep firing and maneuvering, while large capitals would find themselves in a pickle as they would have a hard time finding the smaller but more agile target, and their turrets would start missing a lot, while they would have a lot harder time trying to keep up a jammer. Since there is legit counterplay for jammers now (scanners) it wouldn't be imbalanced any more.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Buffed jump drive range and block ratio (the later being the main reason of he faster charge)
    I would change this to either
    1) Keep the current charge time but increase power consumption greatly
    2) Increase charge time but keep the power consumption the same

Right now it's too easy to charge FTL and run away from a fight.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I would change this to either
    1) Keep the current charge time but increase power consumption greatly
    2) Increase charge time but keep the power consumption the same

Right now it's too easy to charge FTL and run away from a fight.
    First of all, before I jump into the furball that already formed:

Congratulations for the EE staff and player community for taking and securely holding the well-deserved #1 position on the starmade-servers.com list!

And now, to the tougher part.

While EE still is the greatest server, and I do agree with (and adore) some points in the server config. Such as:
    1. Buffed jump drive range and block ratio (the later being the main reason of he faster charge)
    2. Buffed warp gate range (YES PLEASE)
    3. Buffed thruster power.
    4. Buffed power caps

However I do agree with some of the criticism.

1. Damage beams do have a range so short they practically became useless. Either they should be scaled up, or the rest of the weapons should be scaled down, to match. The later should make fights a little more interesting as well since right now most of it occurs on the edge of visual range using missile/beam setups anyway.

2. Missile/pulse damage and missile speed nerf was put there for a damn good reason. EE config should keep up with that. Right now, the Alpha pirate station for example, does 200K alpha damage. On vanilla it's more like 1/4 of that.

3. Defensive effects are capped by default, so the ridiculous power consumption should be fixed, as both parties mentioned it was introduced originally to prevent going over the cap. That has been long since taken care of.

4. Shield and armor values should indeed match up to default, as well as the cannon base fire rate. This would let smaller ships stand a chance and make battles last longer due to the increased toughness of the combatant vessels - a goal the Elwyn staff admittedly strives for. If that doesn't work, at least match the ratios.

5. Power generation cap should be decreased back to 1m/sec. This only encouraged gigantism, as it made easier to make bigger ships power-efficient.

6. Reset the jammer power consumption to default. This would further discourage gigantism, as smaller ships (up to ~10K mass) could easier keep up the jammer indefinitely, and keep firing and maneuvering, while large capitals would find themselves in a pickle as they would have a hard time finding the smaller but more agile target, and their turrets would start missing a lot, while they would have a lot harder time trying to keep up a jammer. Since there is legit counterplay for jammers now (scanners) it wouldn't be imbalanced any more.
    Yes, I would agree with many of these. We need to sit down and work out an updated config no doubt.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Just make it so that power consumption for ships on EE works the same as on vanilla. That is the crucial problem why my and other people's ships won't work when brought from vanilla onto the server. That's all I really ask at this point.