ElwynEternity Starmade server

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I see a grim future for starmade if basic resource acquisition (planet salvaging) isn't nailed down to be stable soon. The last big optimization update was nice but not enough? It's probably going to be what each player is going to be spending 30%+ (yeah I pulled this number out of my ass) of their time doing now.

The actual economy method system is looking pretty good, but now that people have to earn their blocks instead of being grandfathered into old easy systems, something big has to happen.

tl;dr skooma PLS :)

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Prior Experience

>starmade server.

Last edited:

wat

Reaction score
    This is my first time managing anything that has >1mill files in its database; I should put this on my resume.
    Back when I was interning, one of the other interns on the SysAdmin team had listed that he managed a minecraft server lol, if you can explain the complexity why not haha.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Can somebody clarify whats up with how salvagers work on this server?

Im told that no matter how many you stack into a group, they will only have the power of a single salvager? Is that right?

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Can somebody clarify whats up with how salvagers work on this server?

Im told that no matter how many you stack into a group, they will only have the power of a single salvager? Is that right?

Not quite right. To my knowledge, bigger salvage arrays still salvage faster, but single salvage arrays are widely considered to be useless.

People recommended using very large salvagers with hundreds or thousands of single outputs instead of large single output salvagers.

Reactions: gravypod
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I have patiently tried out Elewyn Eternity now for the past week and I have to say I am disappointed.

I can deal with a server having custom blocks, but the modified config for shield and weapon functionality is what I consider a deal-breaker. I built a really nice 90-meter frigate on singleplayer, and it had great specs on vanilla, then when my faction builds it on Elewyn, and I try it out, none of its weapons work because they now require way too much power, the ion system consumes way too much power, and the ship in general just doesn't work any more. Salvage works really weird too and I liked it better vanilla.

To make matters worse, the server has massive stability issues with frequent lag spikes and freezeups. I can barely mine asteroids any more because my ship keeps teleporting around in space.

I'm sorry, but I just can't play on this server any longer. Kudos to you guys for trying though. I hate it when people tamper with the game's default block config though. Anything I build on singleplayer and then try to use on the server is horribly broken/useless.

BUT. If you guys made shields and weapon and power work just as they do on vanilla, I'd come back in a heartbeat. Even if it was still laggy, fixing those block config problems so they are just vanilla would be great. You can have custom blocks, I don't mind that at all. But I like what I build offline to work where I take it to online.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I have patiently tried out Elewyn Eternity now for the past week and I have to say I am disappointed. I can deal with a server having custom blocks, but the modified config for shield and weapon functionality is what I consider a deal-breaker. I built a really nice 90-meter frigate on singleplayer, and it had great specs on vanilla, then when my faction builds it on Elewyn, and I try it out, none of its weapons work because they now require way too much power, the ion system consumes way too much power, and the ship in general just doesn't work any more. Plus the server has massive stability issues with frequent lag spikes and freezeups. I'm sorry, but I just can't play on this server any longer. Kudos to you guys for trying though. I hate it when people tamper with the game's default block config though. Anything I build on singleplayer and then try to use on the server is horribly broken/useless.
    I have to agree with you on the ion passive. It takes way to much power to put an effective ion passive effect on a ship. It is already difficult to put an effective one on a ship as is, but the Elwyn config makes it almost impossible (in my experience) without a massive ship full of docked reactors.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Really need to get Deadlis to look at this, we've been threatening to do it for a while now :/

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    So the entire server just declared everyone on the server vs joelbrisco in 3 days. Yeah. That just happened.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Wait... Are you saying server donors get to use teleportation functions?

If so, that is corrupt and abusive beyond belief. I'm glad I left the server when I did!
    If you dontated for a certain package, you have access to a limited range TP via our wrapper. it has a spool up time that requires you to stay in the same sector to work that is calculated based on mass and distance, and we will soon be adding mass into the calculations.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Wait... Are you saying server donors get to use teleportation functions?

If so, that is corrupt and abusive beyond belief. I'm glad I left the server when I did!
    o im sorry are you sugesting that donators just be given a nice ol "thank you for your money now go f*ck yourself"?

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    If you dontated for a certain package, you have access to a limited range TP via our wrapper. it has a spool up time that requires you to stay in the same sector to work that is calculated based on mass and distance, and we will soon be adding mass into the calculations.
    It's based on Mass and distance, and soon will be based on Mass as well?

o im sorry are you sugesting that donators just be given a nice ol "thank you for your money now go f*ck yourself"?
    Surely EE can set up a VIP Gate network for donators instead of a glorified Jumpdrive which allows you to min/max your ship more than people already do.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    It's based on Mass and distance, and soon will be based on Mass as well?

Surely EE can set up a VIP Gate network for donators instead of a glorified Jumpdrive which allows you to min/max your ship more than people already do.
    im sorry to tell you but the donor tp is rather slow over long distances but is great if i want to sit and eat wile i wait instead of keeping my hands on the controls or using macros to run my jump drive
    why would i want a gate net when i could set that up myself?
    i think donor tp is fine as is

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    How about just not having the donor system change personal gameplay capabilities in any way? That is the best and the most honest way to run this. If you're giving them anything in return for their "donation", it's not a donation anymore. It's them paying you and you providing them a service in return. That is not a donor system. That is a business, and one that has no place in a fair Star-made game experience.

So sure, such a benefit like teleportation is nice to the people who donate, but for the people who don't or can't donate, it puts them at an unfair disadvantage. For people who have money, they have a dishonest incentive at hand by which to encourage their donating: not to help upkeep the server, but to give themselves an edge in combat. Call it what you want, but that's abusive no matter what way you spin it.

For example, those donors are able to use such a feature to skip having to put jump drives on their ships. They can just TP somewhere when they need to, not having to expend as much effort to mine for materials for jump drive components.
    It also enables them to TP out of and into combat with their enemy whenever they want.
    Your idea of using mass is noble, but there's a major problem with that: the donors could also simply build a little stickship and take advantage of its light mass to TP to their enemy's space quickly, then spawn in a pre-filled-up Titan blueprint to destroy their enemy, then run, hide, quickly build it down, then TP back again, no problem. There is just no way to solve that problem.

And for those non-donors, when they lose, it makes the donors who just kicked their butts look like abusive A-holes, and it makes the donor system appear very corrupt, and in turn reflects badly on the server administration.

The solution to all that frustrating bullcrap? Just run an honest, non-interfering donor system. If they really love and enjoy your server, and aren't simply interested in gaining teleportation powers so they can more easily destroy everyone and piss people off, then they will donate to the server regardless of what benefits or lack of benefits you give in return.

Not at all. But having the donor system give players any sort of access to such a powerful command is abusive and encourages pay-to-win gameplay. A donor is just that - someone who gives money to a cause expecting nothing in return. If you're giving them something back to encourage donations then it's no longer a donor system but a pay-to-win scheme.

Even so, there are surely other incentives that can be given to players who contribute money to server upkeep that does not give such "donors" such an unfair and abusive power on the server. They could have special access to VIP warpgates, like CyberTao suggested. Players could then know to build their bases away from the vicinity of those gates to avoid attacks from donors in titans.