ElwynEternity Starmade server

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Just make it so that power consumption for ships on EE works the same as on vanilla. That is the crucial problem why my and other people's ships won't work when brought from vanilla onto the server. That's all I really ask at this point.
    Planr, honestly, I have all my ships on EE built in vanilla settings and never had a problem like you mentioned. Only the jammer power consumption is a problem but otherwise I never had to adjust weapons on any of my designs when I brought them over.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Planr, honestly, I have all my ships on EE built in vanilla settings and never had a problem like you mentioned. Only the jammer power consumption is a problem but otherwise I never had to adjust weapons on any of my designs when I brought them over.
    Well, not sure then.
    Most of my ships had to be revamped after I spawned then and noticed they were having power issues too.

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Well, not sure then.
    Most of my ships had to be revamped after I spawned then and noticed they were having power issues too.
    Then again I usually design my ships to have an excess power generation for emergency purposes. At least when I see builds in community content, they usually have less power generation than my ships of the same weight class.

Reactions: Unnamed25
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Ill be honest and say that while the server has been great so far, the whole "spawn shop is always well stocked" is kind of a buzzkill. Its like, why do anything now, because I can just vote a bunch of times and hit up the shop and buy 50,000 of whatever I want if somebody else hasnt bought it yet.

I dunno. I know some people dont want to mine at all and just want to be able to buy whatever they need instead of mining and manufacturing everything, but it kinda kills a big part of the game, which was controlling territory so you could mine out planets and make parts for more or bigger ships. Now you dont even have to do that anymore. Why control any territory at all? You dont even need planets now.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Beam Range at max beam slave is 2km. This is uh, kinda puny compared to cannons and missiles.
    And the travel time of cannons and missiles are kinda puny compared to beams. Thats why the range is nerfed, even in default.

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Then again I usually design my ships to have an excess power generation for emergency purposes. At least when I see builds in community content, they usually have less power generation than my ships of the same weight class.
    +1. Because power generation can also be subject to peaks or break-downs due to lagspkies and sometimes you just take hull damage where your "power veins" lie, I find it to be a good rule of thumb to generate lat least 10% excess power (or 25-50% if still under the softcap). If using docked modular reactors, you need even more of a buffer because of all the individual points-of-failure (1.5x the number of reactors required for basic operation is safe). This is even more important with capacity (a laggy situation could have your defensive effect or cloak drain the power to zero client-side and deactivate it), which would not have happened with more storage than required to simulateously use the systems that are meant to be used simultaneously.

Aside from that, some people also don't account for shield combat regen very well. If your ship is at full shields and the power just about works out, you can be sure that once you actually enter combat you will see your power bar plummet.

On the spawn shop issue: I kinda agree. Doesn't this counteract the reason for the reset in the first place? Frequently restocking shops aren't meant to be used in conjunction with such an immense credit reward for voting. I don't suggest to tone down voting in its entirety - just hand out items only (credits are no option), that way credits work exactly as intended: 1. a lower-scale method of player to player payment, 2. an NPC shop trading currency.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    On the spawn shop issue: I kinda agree. Doesn't this counteract the reason for the reset in the first place? Frequently restocking shops aren't meant to be used in conjunction with such an immense credit reward for voting. I don't suggest to tone down voting in its entirety - just hand out items only (credits are no option), that way credits work exactly as intended: 1. a lower-scale method of player to player payment, 2. an NPC shop trading currency.
    Now think about the new players on the server. Who spawn at the shop with a handful of credits. What if they want to buy some blocks, to spawn a starter BP. Without the automatic restocking, there would never be any blocks for them. If we was just trying to make it easier to get blocks, we would restock all shops. but no.

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    therimmer96 the problems is not people with starting credits or credits gotten from selling to shops, the problem is the huge credit-based voting rewards (which don't benefit newbies even remotely as much) in conjunction with a restocking shop. It may be better to make voting items-only and instead increase the server starting credits to 500k.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Yeah, that sounds better. Im seeing people vote 10+ times and get tens of millions of credits.

You can fly down to spawn shop with about 16 million and buy 50,000 advanced armor. Then you can come back again with another couple million and score 50,000 shields if nobodys touched them yet. Then come back again later and do it agaihn with whatever parts you need. The crazy high voting rewards, and spawn shop just kind of nullifys doing anything else to get ship parts.

Id also say the the amount of stock that shop carries needs to be reduced too. Id say like 5000 of everything tops instead of 50,000. Its meaant to be a place where newbies can buy parts to get started. Not to be the best and most efficient way in the game to buy mass quantitys of parts so you dont have to do anything except vote and buy things.

Even if voting was changed to item rewards only(something reasonable and not huge amounts of parts), and if the item stock was kept at 50,000, you'd still have players flyign in and buying out 50,000 of things.

If it was capped at 5000, but reset every day, and voting was changed to either less money or items only, you'd really cut down on people getting huge amounts of parts with no time or effort put in.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    So much, what Crunk said. Voting benefits based on raw resources or capsules would be a good alternative.

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Actually, I would welcome a working item reward instead of credits, IF the item pool would be narowed down to a reasonable amount of blocks with actual use (so, no dirt, rock and placeholders and that kinda crap you can't do anything with.)

So much, what Crunk said. Voting benefits based on raw resources or capsules would be a good alternative.
    Like that! Getting shards, ores or capsules would actually be reasonable (as well as crucial ship parts like power, shielding, weapons, armor) and would help out even a newbie. (and to be newbie-friendly, may I suggest upping the starter credits a little, because if I have to sum up early game in Starmade with 3 words, "long boring suffering" comes to mind.)

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I do use the spawn shop for buying decoration blocks, since I do not intend to have all factories producing all decoration. That would be painful, so I think that the restocking shop is still a must. Not sure if item-rewarding is the best idea against credits.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Does anyone know why the server keeps crashing?
    well people might be planet mining or flying titans. thats the two most likely reasons.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1430192841,1430192782][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I do use the spawn shop for buying decoration blocks, since I do not intend to have all factories producing all decoration. That would be painful, so I think that the restocking shop is still a must. Not sure if item-rewarding is the best idea against credits.
    you dont need to use the spawn shop though. there are literally billions of shops throughout the universe.

Markonius

Head of Finance at OOB
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Have so far lost 250,000 blocks from backlash. Everytime I try to add something to my base it dissapeared. I thought the solution was 'make a dock and then build on the docked ship'. The ship is there, the dock is not. I would really appreciate some help as it's a massive waste of resources....