The Sentinel Alliance's Public Server - All Welcome

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Bogdan

Grand Master of OOB
    Reaction score
    AKA there is one admin rank and they can do everything
    Technically this isn't the case. If you have a look at Admin Commands you can see that you can limit the things that an admin can do, by having the owner initiate these codes either on the server or through starnet.

This obviously can work both ways:

Usually the 'SuperAdmin' a.k.a. owner, has rights to do everything, [by using Starnet], but the normal admins would be limited in their commands.

Maybe this might help.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I recommend against this server if you are interested in PvP since it requires mutual consent and a bunch of other crap.

From my observation the players are all relatively new and not exactly "good" at PvP as well.

I recommend this server if you want to see poor system designs, entertaining chat (in the sense that neither the players nor admin understand whats going on) or simply want to do banter.

Reaction score
    I recommend against this server if you are interested in PvP since it requires mutual consent and a bunch of other crap.
    That's why I asked for a clarification from the horses' mouth, since the rules that were stated do NOT claim this.

From my observation the players are all relatively new and not exactly "good" at PvP as well.
    Guilty as charged, though I need to learn somehow, and getting blasted to bits by a ship 100 times my size when there's nothing I can do doesn't seem particularly helpful as far as useful lessons.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Guilty as charged, though I need to learn somehow, and getting blasted to bits by a ship 100 times my size when there's nothing I can do doesn't seem particularly helpful as far as useful lessons.
    1) Join a faction, most good PvP faction will provide ship, friends, and impart their experience to you
    2) Build a few ship roughly at 30k, 70k and 100k mass to cover all size ranges (NO advanced armor/ or only around vital areas. Pure advanced armor inflates mass)
    3) Fight randoms on PvP server like Brierie or LvD.
    4) You will usually know why you lost as the fight goes. Were you too slow? Was the enemy's shielding better? Etc

"That's why I asked for a clarification from the horses' mouth, since the rules that were stated do NOT claim this."

Calhoun was banned yesterday for this I think. He shot at a derelict doom cube and got banned because owner did not consent. XMB was also raving on about it on game chat yesterday.

Another thing to consider is the limits of the server. They also mentioned "No OP ships". Your opportunity to develop your skills on the server is a bit more limited compared to lets say Freaks, LvD or Brierie.

Last edited:
    G

GDPR 302420

If you are wanting to teach yourself PvP then why are you playing on a server where becoming "too good" at PvP is a bannable offence?

Seems kinda counter-intuitive imho.

Reactions: Calhoun

IKindaCrashAlot

Part of the Most Nefarious Faction in Starmade
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I thought and still do think that some of the pro-blueprint arguments are persuasive and well written despite us choosing to keep blueprints disabled. It's a little sad to see one of them becoming just a weak personal attack.

Thus far claims that the no blueprint uploading policy will lead to the downfall of the server haven't really come to fruition. Comparing monthly player count from Starmade Server List we're currently the third most popular server around with monthly player count having risen since we started. And the difference between us an the current most popular server Brierie being only 6 more monthly players.

Yea... sorry about that re-redacting thing... though that was a while ago we intentionally didn't give an official post about the change because I expected it might be temporary, it was and we changed back within a day after some incidents.

Thats a good idea, thank you. As XMB said we're considering a allowing moderated blueprint uploads and limiting them based on mass plus per player sounds good. Preferably we'd implement that through a semi-automated system which we'll be looking into.

I really do feel like everything about the no blueprints rule has been said already but I'll respond to this quickly: If you think disallowing BP uploads will cause the server to look bad then come on and see for yourself, there arn't millions of doom cubes going about, almost everything that I've seen has been well designed except from the ships used by people that wanted to grief the server.

Also to clarify not every time it gets destroyed, blueprints are enabled, we just don't allow blueprint uploads.

How incredibly false almost everything in that post is amazes me. As XMB said already:

IKindaCrashALot, you've been banned twice now. Once temporarily for bullying much smaller factions and demanding a 'tax' for protection or killing them until they leave the server (and several did leave directly because of you), then a second time recently for spawn camping. If you disagree with those bans make a ban appeal on our forums, they're all public but otherwise don't just go making up lies.

StarMade is wonderful but isn't without its problems, we try out best to keep the server as lag free and with the highest uptime as possible, for the most part we do. We do clean up spawn periodically including recently when someone flooded it with 100s of NPC to intentionally cause lag.

Our sever currently has very good 99% uptime (as rated by Starmade Server List) above most other popular servers like Brierie (at 98%) and FreaksRUs (at 96%). Regarding ping the server is based in Europe so its inevitably that people in some locations have high ping but within Europe ping is very good.

We've never said hardcore 'if you can't survive then leave' PvP is a part of the server, we've mentioned PvP once very briefly and left it as a tag on the server list (as almost every single other server has). We do actually try to be welcoming to those that are new, casual or just don't enjoy the idea of dying over and over. I'll change some of the description to make that more clear but its never been said heavily and removing the tag would be silly, we do allow PvP even if its not in the hardcore form that you like.

And I totally agree with Warsong's replies to the rest of your messages.

Thanks for the suggestions NaStral, we are aware that some of the rules are a little too open to interpretation and that's something we'd like to amend soon, though to a point that will aways be an issue.

Having been an admin on several Minecraft servers where staff ranks are clearly split and logged based on trust (lower trust moderators would just not have the ability to spawn in anything or do more than temp ban) I understand where to desire for separation especially since StarMade has none of this. (AKA there is one admin rank and they can do everything)

I currently think an admin could easily switch to their admin account if they intended to break the rules and every admin command on every account is logged anyway regardless of account. I appreciate the suggestion but currently I don't think it would be much of a barrier to admin abuse, it will always be down to trust in a situation when people don't know 100% of the time what an admin has done or is doing. May even slow admins down in responding to incidents. We're working on something to improve this but it's not finished yet.

Well that was a long post...

To conclude, thanks to everyone that has been playing on the server (there are happily quite a few of you) it's nice too see the server still doing well and we'll continue to try and improve it. Thanks as well to almost all of those that have been posting in this thread and our own forum, we are listening to suggestions.
    I wouldn't exactly believe anything this guy says. XM8 said while he was trying to fight me "hurry up and ban him I'm taking block damage!" Then attempted to lie to someone about that while that someone happened to be in the same voice channel when it happened. The problem with TSA is the admin faction wants to be the "all knowing gods" that they try to portray themselves as. For example I saw somewhere in their description "any hostility will be countered by big factions" I'm assuming they are talking about their own admin faction when they say this. Now that players have joined that can "bully" the server without being stopped by the admin faction, they resort to just straight up banning any player they deem a threat to their server population.

Reaction score
    Where'd all my faction territory go? Black Sun had several systems (a small zone around our home system Zeta) claimed by deep-buried faction blocks on planets, and another player finding and removing them all so quickly is highly unlikely. Did the admins arbitrarily pare back my territorial expansion for some reason?
    ...I can get the space back easily and cheaply, other than the time investment, but this is unusual and disconcerting. What if I'd had infrastructure there? I'd been planning to put some there eventually after my homestation's more complete.

I want an explanation. I feel like I deserve an explanation.

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    Where'd all my faction territory go? Black Sun had several systems (a small zone around our home system Zeta) claimed by deep-buried faction blocks on planets, and another player finding and removing them all so quickly is highly unlikely. Did the admins arbitrarily pare back my territorial expansion for some reason?
    ...I can get the space back easily and cheaply, other than the time investment, but this is unusual and disconcerting. What if I'd had infrastructure there? I'd been planning to put some there eventually after my homestation's more complete.

Finding claim stations and popping them doesn't take very long. A single scan will show the location.

Reaction score
    Finding claim stations and popping them doesn't take very long. A single scan will show the location.
    That's just it - they weren't stations, they were buried faction modules on planets. It'd take a lot of digging.

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Warsong said it best, the best part of this server for PvPers is indeed the door.
    Don't worry about it hitting you in the ass on the way out, it does no dmg anyway :>

Reactions: NaStral and Calhoun

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    1st Destroy the planet.
    2nd Check the "piece of planet" that can not be salvaged.
    3rd Destroy it.

With the propper equipment [less 20.000 blocks] can be achieved on around 5 mins.
    Even so, that's a lot of work for the scrubs who typically inhabit the server.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    1st Destroy the planet.
    2nd Check the "piece of planet" that can not be salvaged.
    3rd Destroy it.

With the propper equipment [less 20.000 blocks] can be achieved on around 5 mins.
    And it comes back down to no non consensual PvP.

The planets are claimed by a faction, therefore, according to XMB it cannot be attacked without owner consent. (Since Calhoun was banned for attacking a derelict doomcube without owner consent).

It is like magic, except crappier.

G

GDPR 302420

Just thought I would ask any TSA admins that may be reading this some questions...

1. Since when is using a torch an exploit?
    2. Why is it that attacking someone you are at war with normaly while the victim is online is a violation of the "No Random PvP" rule by attacking someone who you are at war withs unprotected stuff while they are offline is a violation of the "No Griefing" rule
    3. Since when is intent to accept a peace treaty but not actually accepting it makes attacks during a war violation of "Griefing" rules
    4. How can you claim to be impartial as adminstrators when as soon as you become a victim to an attack by an astronaut with a torch you decide to make "a specific rule against that item" and ban the user who attacked said base?

Is there a slight possibily you could rewrite the "rules" on the OP to actually have some meaning and not some broad rule that can mean anything the admin wants it to mean at the time when its conveniant for him/her so I won't need to ask these simple questions that should already be answered by the server rules?

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Just thought I would ask any TSA admins that may be reading this some questions...

1. Since when is using a torch an exploit?
    2. Why is it that attacking someone you are at war with normaly while the victim is online is a violation of the "No Random PvP" rule by attacking someone who you are at war withs unprotected stuff while they are offline is a violation of the "No Griefing" rule
    3. Since when is intent to accept a peace treaty but not actually accepting it makes attacks during a war violation of "Griefing" rules
    4. How can you claim to be impartial as adminstrators when as soon as you become a victim to an attack by an astronaut with a torch you decide to make "a specific rule against that item" and ban the user who attacked said base?

Is there a slight possibily you could rewrite the "rules" on the OP to actually have some meaning and not some broad rule that can mean anything the admin wants it to mean at the time when its conveniant for him/her so I won't need to ask these simple questions that should already be answered by the server rules?
    The reasoning for that player being banned is he only had intention to grief in the time he spent he only built warhead cubes and tried to pile them towards people, he had no sign and intention of actually playing the game, his ban was not for the use of the torch as the rule had not been implemented beforehand, meaning at the time of him using a torch there was no rule against it.

The rule against torches is mostly to go against destroying offline player's ships.

Also as we said we are in the process of clearing up the rules but im not sure where you heard of the rule in point 3, and for point 2 Destroying someones ship whilst they are offline is greifing as they are not there to defend it, if your internet died whilst you where around your base and someone blew it up before you got back on would you not find that unjust? and as for your other point in point 2 should 2 factions willingly be at war then attacking them is fine but that will be voided should you spawn camp them or use other exploits. (basically just stay away from their homebase)
    [doublepost=1502293999,1502293873][/doublepost]

No admins have been destroying faction blocks inside of planets nor have we unclaimed any systems as of current. Should you want proof I can and will contact Sentinel and ask him to provide as much information as is possible.
    [doublepost=1502294179][/doublepost]
    I wouldn't exactly believe anything this guy says. XM8 said while he was trying to fight me "hurry up and ban him I'm taking block damage!" Then attempted to lie to someone about that while that someone happened to be in the same voice channel when it happened. The problem with TSA is the admin faction wants to be the "all knowing gods" that they try to portray themselves as. For example I saw somewhere in their description "any hostility will be countered by big factions" I'm assuming they are talking about their own admin faction when they say this. Now that players have joined that can "bully" the server without being stopped by the admin faction, they resort to just straight up banning any player they deem a threat to their server population.
    You were not banned for damaging mine or anyone elses ships, you where banned for camping spawn with a doom cube and station, aswell as randomly killing players. then it was raised to a permanent ban after you attempted to avoid it via separate accounts, you are just trying to make claims to ruin our reputation, should you have an actual claim please back it up with hard proof, then I would be interested enough to respond. Have a nice day.
    [doublepost=1502294317][/doublepost]
    That's why I asked for a clarification from the horses' mouth, since the rules that were stated do NOT claim this.

As we have stated in other posts in this thread the rules are very much in limbo, we are working on them and are developing hard set rules that we make public once we have decided, the current rules as stated in this thread and mentioned in chat on the server are temporary but will be enforced.

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It is the most basic thing a new player to Starmade has to learn: DO NOT LEAVE YOUR CRAP UNDOCKED. The only acceptable case of that happening is a crash. If you lose it while you're offline, that's your problem.

This is a rule of thumb for Starmade since the very beginning of its multiplayer. It is how the game goes. And Starmade is a lot more forgiving in this manner than Rust or Ark where any structure not well enough armed and defended -will- be looted, while Starmade has the free docks on advanced shops and an invincible homebase for every single faction available. I'm not even a hardcore PvP player, but I do agree with them on this: If you leave your ships out with so many options to protect them, you DESERVE the harsh lesson of finding them gone when you get back. It's been the law of the seas too. Called salvage rights. And you made a rule against it.

Also. Being boarded is also a lesson. If you don't have some kind of anti-boarding measure (anti-personnel turret, or area trigger/manual traps - I personally use damage pulse/damage beam single block outputs that envelop the entire ship and oneshot anything moving on board) then you can still only blame yourself for losing your crap.

Pampering the clueless and weak only results in them staying clueless and weak. They need to learn and sometimes they need to learn from their mistakes.

Reaction score
    I can confirm that the lost planets have not been destroyed or stripmined, and interestingly still retain their names. They're just no longer claimed by my faction. This is apparently not the result of PvP action. My faction's points have also gone drastically negative for no apparent reason.

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I can confirm that the lost planets have not been destroyed or stripmined, and interestingly still retain their names. They're just no longer claimed by my faction. This is apparently not the result of PvP action. My faction's points have also gone drastically negative for no apparent reason.
    Any system you claim after the first costs you increasingly more FP to maintain. If there are not enough active players in your faction to generate enough FP, it will drain and you lose claim to the systems.

Reaction score
    Any system you claim after the first costs you increasingly more FP to maintain. If there are not enough active players in your faction to generate enough FP, it will drain and you lose claim to the systems.

OHHH
    Well now I know. Thanks, that makes sense now. I didn't see this on the wiki or anything.

Status
    Not open for further replies.