The Sentinel Alliance's Public Server - All Welcome

Discussion in 'Community Servers' started by SentinelX 101, Jun 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.
    1. WarSong

WarSong Cmdr Deathmark

Matt_BradockMatt_Bradock very constructive. you have a real germ of an idea there. it's worth its own thread tbh. get a topic going to compile the best practices for managing and setting up PvP, PvE/PvP and a challenging 'pure' PvE server. once there's a consensus in that thread then start a new one for each scenario with the first post being what consensus was reached by those who participated.

2. kulbolen

these are good ideas, but theyve all been suggested already, and some are already done.

they have a 50k mass cap currently

i dont think this is a drawback at all, as it took a few hours tops to have 50k capped ships on server with no uploads. this way will just make stuff more refined. besides the op pvp ships are generally much larger than this.

yes please dear god. been begging the server admins for this to give something for people to doafter they progres past hour 2 of learning the game.

drawback or feature? =D

3. Carnifex606

We are currently looking into getting some tougher pirates, we are just figuring out the coding as Schine doesn't like to make it easy but once we've got that sorted we should be able to buff the pirates quite considerably.
      --- Updated post (merge), Aug 19, 2017, Original Post Date: Aug 19, 2017 ---
      Firstly thank you, these are some brilliant ideas and I agree with many of your points. We are currently trying to setup stronger pirates (and help would be very much appreciated) Im not sure how we would go about allowing the pirates to have larger mass ships than the servers baseline though... (something we'll have to figure out). I very much agree that if we try to make everyone happy then we will make nobody happy so Im for making much stronger pirates even if players get stomped by them.

Finally as we've mentioned earlier we do want to add this to our server, we have much to learn if we are going to make this work but we will get this working.

#143 Carnifex606, Aug 19, 2017
      Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Calhoun

Calhoun Part-time God

Why am I still here? Because I hate lying, and that's basically what has happened.

Lets have a look through the ad post shall we?

First of all, it's not just vanilla Starmade, Half the pirates don't even have weapons and just poke you randomly. AI accuracy is set to a whopping zero, so even if they had weapons they couldn't hit you anyway. PvP Enabled? What a hoot, but we'll get to that later.

PvP is allowed. Sure, it is. But you can't actually attack anyone or you'll be banned. Engage in war on a grand scale? Again, try it and you'll be banned. As for only being banned or "incurring wrath"? Ask IKindaCrashAlotIKindaCrashAlot about "incurring wrath". Oh, and as mentioned above, you'll be banned whether you're shooting at an abandoned hulk or someone's prized shuttle.

Spawn is a cluster-fuck of lag inducing entities left by a bunch of plebs who can't lay a powerline let alone pick up after themselves. Are they warned? No, the admins are to busy banning people who fire weapons in someones general direction.

But you want to know the real kicker? You aren't even on this server. You haven't even seen the things discussed in this thread. You say they can run the server as they want, and that is true. However, if they want to run it without hassle and without people, like me and whoever, calling them out then they should advertise it properly.

5. IKindaCrashAlot

IKindaCrashAlot Part of the Most Nefarious Faction in Starmade

Oooh I was mentioned heh. Yeah this "incurring wrath" bullshit is just a ploy by the admins. Basically how TSA's "incurring wrath" works is

step 1. Evaluate the target,
      the admins look at the mass of the enemy ship and determine wether to ban hammer because they know they can't win. Or fight.

Step2. Take action. This is where the TSA admins engage or ban. If they choose to engage since they think that they can easily win since They out mass you 5:1 then they will likely deploy bathtubs and 50k "carriers". If they don't outstandingly win the fight they will ban half way through just because they can't win. For example, an admin attempted to attack me out massing 5:1. Then he started completely losing and in the voice chat heard by kulbolenkulbolen he says "hurry up and ban him! I'm taking block damage/ I'm about to die".

Step3. Straight up ban.
      If the admins already know you because you've completely thwarted their offensive in the past while being outmassed then they just straight up ban you. In order to keep their status to the plebeians of TSA as God like rulers they can't lose! And if they do start losing or know they can't win then banhammer. This technique was used on Aceface and Zoro before they even had a chance to play, just because the admins knew they were about to get turbof**cked by experienced players.

I think that should be edited to "wrath of the banhammer if we can't beat you no matter how much we out mass you by" in their server page

6. Sachys

Sachys Hermit.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Calhoun

Calhoun Part-time God

8. Az14el

Az14el Definitely not a skywanderers dev

Wheatons law bro, simple stuff!
      it even has an instructional meme that's 100% objective and ez to follow

and a "knowyourmeme" entry because thats exactly what it is

Last time i logged in here I homebase camped for over an hour while stream sniping and got about 8-10 kills btw, shit was so cash, and i wasn't being a dick at all at least not by my understanding of it. So no worries!

• Like Like x 1
    9. Sachys

Sachys Hermit.

Narp!

I just had better things to do. Like beer!

• Like Like x 1
    10. Calhoun

Calhoun Part-time God

TBH that was pretty funny though. Your pleb brick quailed in the face of my glorious cannons however! (((

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Az14el

Stolen pleb brick!

12. kulbolen

i damaged at least one block on your ship over the course of 10 mins.

• Funny Funny x 1
    13. Carnifex606

The only bathtub we had was made by a player in our faction who has no admin powers and had no help from any admins, we have never spawned in any such ships, if a player is caught breaking the rules they get banned, sorry that you thought rules don't apply to you.

14. Matt_Bradock

Matt_Bradock The Shrink

Not sure if that's your general sarcasm, WarSongWarSong or a typo and you actually meant that.

15. Matt_Bradock

Matt_Bradock The Shrink

If you'd like, I could take some of my smaller (and bigger) ships and re-fit them for AI usage.
      Anyone else who want to join me on this one, here are some guidelines on making fun and yet potent pirate ships:

- No defensive effects, logic weapons (unless you save with an actice clock cycle) and aux power - AI cannot use these.
      - Make sure the weapons+thrust are power stable even if you go full retard - AI will FIRE EVERYTHING! at once, and really sucks at managing power.
      - No long-range weapons unless you deliberately want to design a sniping pirate ship that's a real pain in the ass - AI will always back off to the edge of its longest ranged weapon's range. So, try to avoid (full) beam support on weapons. Just the computer gives the lock-on for missiles, you can use pulse instead for high alpha beams and cannons. It's all fine and dandy to use full beam support on turrets though.
      - No swarm missiles unless you intend to set up the ship as the only one spawning in its wave - I definitely recommend it for a "boss fight" capital though.

• Useful Useful x 1
    16. WarSong

WarSong Cmdr Deathmark

Matt_BradockMatt_Bradock ah. don't blame you. germ as in germinate. an early stage of a plant's growth cycle from seed. it is often called germination.
      you have the beginning of something that could, with a lot of care and effort, turn out grand. #holdthesarc

17. Carnifex606

That would be awesome! Ill talk to sentinel about creating an area for submissions somewhere and thanks for the support!

18. Az14el

AI Can indeed use Aux now, it defaults to 'on' state these days and is pretty well used on drones, though your pirates don't really need to pass 2m e/s to be "strong", in waves this is more than enough, just being pedantic,
      far as turrets I'd recommend not having them on wave spawning AI at all (one single turret triples entity count and guarantees collisions calcs breaking up combat, not worth)

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. Calhoun

Calhoun Part-time God

If you really want to have stronger pirates, for the love of me turn up AI accuracy. When Veilith and I had a pop at each other (I won, ur a scrub Veilith) his turrets couldn't, no wouldn't hit me from 50 metres away.

20. kulbolen

the smart people are talking

Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.