StarMade v0.199.234 - More Logic, New Effects, and Radial Menu

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Will scaleable FX also be applied to beams?
    Will we see blackholes which not look like fuel puddle (it breaks immersion as hell)?

Reaction score
    Welp, there goes any kind of discussion in the previous news thread. At least there is something to show for it this time.
    The new thruster plumes system is absolutely dope. Finally I can stop worrying if those crystal blocks make me bum look fat. 'Cause nobody's gonna see a damn thing with all the glow. Neat!

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    How does the update effect thrusters used in interiors? Will my thruster hallways look funny now?

Napther

Grumpy builder of Kaiju Design Initiative
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    How does the update effect thrusters used in interiors? Will my thruster hallways look funny now?
    So long as the back-face of the thruster isnt exposed it wont produce a thruster plume by default. I used to use thruster hallways, but I have found much better alternatives (And keeping thrusters to the floor/ceiling only where their back faces are hidden)

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    "Since we’re aware that players will make some crazy things with this, we’ve made improvements to the network code so that changes only affect nearby players. In this case, it only sends the text to nearby players (as opposed to everyone) when displays change."

Who is going to do some crazy things with this? i will start waiting for the youtube link:rolleyes:

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    hmm what about rail rotators? They use C on themselves and v on activators already to change the degrees they turn at. o_O
    Thanks for bringing that up. Looks like we have a conflict between 2 mechanics. Most likely we'll end up disabling this logic addition for rotators then, perhaps some "config" block later could help too but that might just complicate things too much.

I still have to complain about thruster plumes. They go out both at high speed without acceleration and low speed with full acceleration. They should depend on either speed or acceleration, but not both, that's unlogical.
    True, it's not perfect. It's still using old mechanics in some places so only acceleration will trigger a plume, and the starting length will depend on the velocity. It makes some sense really, if you're coasting at 250 m/s you're not firing your thrusters. Still, Starmade is anything but realistic and I don't think we want to go into that direction ^^ I think most here would prefer cooler looking thrusters over realistic ones, and if needed we can always make a config option for it.

Changing sectors also refreshes the effect checking, IIRC... Not certain, though.
    Correct, that's a bug.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Oh boy, what a nice surprise when bringing up this forum on a Saturday morning. :D

Not to mention the sheer endless list of new goodies to try out. A quite elaborate update schema well done. :cool:

Greets,

Jan

Captain Tankman

Cake Build Server Staff
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    What do the sensor check when connected to thrusters? Thrusters weren't mentioned in the newspost, but still something triggers sensors. From my testing it's not acceleration and not the actual server speed, but more of a fixed speed around 250m/s = 100%
    Can anybody confirm that?

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    True, it's not perfect. It's still using old mechanics in some places so only acceleration will trigger a plume, and the starting length will depend on the velocity. It makes some sense really, if you're coasting at 250 m/s you're not firing your thrusters. Still, Starmade is anything but realistic and I don't think we want to go into that direction ^^ I think most here would prefer cooler looking thrusters over realistic ones, and if needed we can always make a config option for it.
    Just remove velocity dependence, and make it depend strictly on whether or not you are actually firing your thrusters. That way it at least won't look silly.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Would it be possible to have a second thruster, flare, etc graphics option that uses the old beacon technique? The bloom effect from the new thruster effects is so demanding that I can't play with bloom on even the lowest setting anymore!

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Would it be possible to have a second thruster, flare, etc graphics option that uses the old beacon technique? The bloom effect from the new thruster effects is so demanding that I can't play with bloom on even the lowest setting anymore!
    I don't have bloom on in general but I see the issue. :(

Reaction score
    The only issue I have with the thrusters is that you have to be accelerating in order to see the plumes. Any chance that it can be made to show the plumes when the ship is in motion?

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    The only issue I have with the thrusters is that you have to be accelerating in order to see the plumes. Any chance that it can be made to show the plumes when the ship is in motion?
    Wouldn't this be a bit weird, though? You don't need to keep your thrusters on in space unless you're slowing down or speeding up.

I've been able to make thrusters stay turned on before, but I forget how. I was some kind of rail glitch, though. There's beacons, too. :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    What an update! Love the sensor blocks. Curiously is there a way of turning there true condition to be Less Than X as opposed to Equal/More Than X? Only then we'd also be able to create systems that keep values between a set of predefined values. Equally someone might remind me about an alternative method of indicating a crate is completely empty instead of not full!

Cheers Schine!

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Love the sensor blocks. Curiously is there a way of turning there true condition to be Less Than X as opposed to Equal/More Than X?
    Add a NOT gate.

Equally someone might remind me about an alternative method of indicating a crate is completely empty instead of not full!
    Same as above with a shitload of deactivated activators and a single active one. :p
    I don't know a usable method, though.

Reaction score
    Wouldn't this be a bit weird, though? You don't need to keep your thrusters on in space unless you're slowing down or speeding up.

I've been able to make thrusters stay turned on before, but I forget how. I was some kind of rail glitch, though. There's beacons, too. :)
    You act as though space is a complete void. It isn't. There are also gravitational pulls in every which way direction that would require thrust being added to stay on the correct path.