Starmade Logic Tutorials

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    I saw the door that looks like it is actually opening but the closing animation just looks wrong when it starts at the side it opens from, so i managed to make one that has 2 activators: one to open the door from the bottom up and the other to close it from the top down. It looks good, but being able to do that with one activator still evades me. If someone wants to try and make it he can find me on either Trace or Star Drift.

Reactions: TheBlueThunder
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I saw the door that looks like it is actually opening but the closing animation just looks wrong when it starts at the side it opens from, so i managed to make one that has 2 activators: one to open the door from the bottom up and the other to close it from the top down. It looks good, but being able to do that with one activator still evades me. If someone wants to try and make it he can find me on either Trace or Star Drift.
    I posted one back on the 15th actually.

http://starmadedock.net/threads/how-to-build-an-animated-door-logic.1508/

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6

Update to previous tutorial (#2) on pulsing switches so it pulses on any change of activation module, very useful on large ships or for more complicated logic circuits.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    some bonus content

That's pretty cool. You might want to check out my animated door though, it only requires three additional blocks per frame as opposed to five. (four and six if you count the not gates in this latest setup.)

Reaction score
    Thanks for making that door. I forgot that i could use AND gates for it lol.

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    I'm probably stupid, but what are the pulsing switches used for?
    they're used a lot in combination with latches and flip-flops, basically circuits used to record a state (either 0 or 1, on or off) so you could use them to record all kinds of states and then use the pulsing switches to trigger one state or the other from different points on your ship

for example:
    • Hangar Open / Closed
    • Airlock Open / Closed
    • Alarm On / Off
    • Lights On / Off
    • Self-Destruct Armed / Disarmed

I'll do a video covering some of the practical uses tomorrow

Reaction score
    they're used a lot in combination with latches and flip-flops, basically circuits used to record a state (either 0 or 1, on or off) so you could use them to record all kinds of states and then use the pulsing switches to trigger one state or the other from different points on your ship

for example:
    • Hangar Open / Closed
    • Airlock Open / Closed
    • Alarm On / Off
    • Lights On / Off
    • Self-Destruct Armed / Disarmed

I'll do a video covering some of the practical uses tomorrow
    I think my confusion comes from not understanding what everything does and why you have to use those blocks. I can copy and build the same thing, but I won't truly understand it. May be time to find a few books on this.

Reaction score
    I started making a clock for SATURN and this is the layout:

The delays on the outside are connected and you get a total of 1min delay, but connecting it in a way to activate consecutive act mods to show the time is not easy for me. Because the clock will be digital and each act mod will be a number on a display, when the minutes change the last one must deactivate first. If someone wants to help the easiest way would be to join me on SATURN so that we can work together.

Reactions: XxDanclarke96xX
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I was just thinking of a damage control system, this is perfect! Thank you Bench for these

Reaction score
    Other tutotorials of bench were great, but this is a pain in the ass, for the next reasons:
    -First: the alert is done by pulsating system, which have a awsome graphic effect, but for using the damage indicators in other logics systems is dificult to collect that signal, and lag can avoid you to see an alert.

-Second: as it is seen in the video sometimes the shoot can destroy the zone but not the sensor, what have a easy solution, add more sensors, but your method only allow one sensor by zone.

Here is my particullar solution to this problems: a little ship with only one damage indicator, 8 sensors and a clock (when one the sensors is destroyed the ligth switch on):
    Image 1:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/il7mwwpb...RJkCqEhrav_a/starmade-screenshot-0018.png?m=1
    Image 2:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/il7mwwpb3nkq50m/AAAiCAjjoKXp4pFqvsYwnO_pa/starmade-screenshot-0019.png

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Other tutotorials of bench were great, but this is a pain in the ass, for the next reasons:
    -First: the alert is done by pulsating system, which have a awsome graphic effect, but for using the damage indicators in other logics systems is dificult to collect that signal, and lag can avoid you to see an alert.

-Second: as it is seen in the video sometimes the shoot can destroy the zone but not the sensor, what have a easy solution, add more sensors, but your method only allow one sensor by zone.
    I'll be doing a follow up tutorial to this one to show how you can expand it. You need the clock due to you needing to trigger a block update to detect that that block is gone. The output of this could easily go into a latch that would record the change. And you wouldn't really get any graphical lag on this system, it's not complicated enough to trigger one imo.

Adding an AND gate into the mix would fix the multiple sensor issue. will show in the next video.

Reaction score
    I'll be doing a follow up tutorial to this one to show how you can expand it. You need the clock due to you needing to trigger a block update to detect that that block is gone. The output of this could easily go into a latch that would record the change. And you wouldn't really get any graphical lag on this system, it's not complicated enough to trigger one imo.

Adding an AND gate into the mix would fix the multiple sensor issue. will show in the next video.
    Ok but the method i posted works fine without needing latchs, the clock always update the sensors gathering signals with a false signal. I think you have a great work with the videos, but the last one was in my opinion a little worse.

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Ok but the method i posted works fine without needing latchs, the clock always update the sensors gathering signals with a false signal. I think you have a great work with the videos, but the last one was in my opinion a little worse.
    The latch would be more if you didn't want to have a clock constantly going once damage has been detected, it not a necessity for the basic build.

And the method you posted is essentially what i had in the original video, only all the OR gates feed into the one AND gate that then has an output, so really the video was fine for a basis