Shipyard

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Legacy Citizen
    If the shipyard need blocks for makeing the ships is hard to get the materials but is more easy to get the money for it and is not a shop so he ben half price if a ship hace like 1KK blocks is hard to get the blocks but is easy to get the monet mining cactus(cactay)

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    An excellent idea, I love the concept of \'creating\' a ship. I created a thread about ship repair that might add a few extra ideas: http://star-made.org/content/ship-repair-schematic

My post is about repairing ships but there is no reason the repair schematic I suggest couldn\'t be the foundation for creating a ship as well. We have the Astro Tech to handle the creation, if that was changed from a \'beam\' to an area of effect both ideas could be united into a very usable and makes the idea and purpose of a shipyard very desirable (also allows repair ships to fix damaged vessels).

Reaction score
    It takes a normal player ~6 hours or less to reach 100000 mass with details added. Players can already output over 300 mass a second by just clicking 3 times a second. And whats the point of a shipyard if a ship you can assemble in a few hours take days to assemble in a shipyard?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I like how I said the same thing and got the hell flamed out of me. :p

generalBLT13

Scary grrrrr
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Purchased!
    I suggest you first build the ship yard and then building drones and each building drone could put down 1 or two blocks per second

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I see a lot of proposals in this thread that involve some sort of weird costs for the ships based on the blueprints costs. I really like the idea of just paying for the ship with blocks. You are actually constructing the ship, so you need the blocks to make it.

In terms of shipyard size, I like the docking module/enhancer approach. Simple and it is simlar to exsisting game mechanics.

I would really like to have the neat approach of having blocks appear as the ship gets built (maybe even based on system, so first power blocks, then engines, shield, weapons, then hull, glass and decorations), but I suppose I could live with the ship just appearing after a given time based on mass.

I don\'t agree with the proposals that ask for ships to have shipyards on them. We have little enough reason to have stations as is, so this would just make another reason to have uberships: you can make other ships on them. Instead, having them be on bases would encourge banding together in order to pool resources to get large shipyards.

I agree with the proposals saying the area needs to be clear in order to work. Since many factions would have only have one shipyard, at their indestrucible faction home, it would be impossible to disrupt construction even with a successful attack. This would allow delaying of construction by parking a ship in the shipyard, until the owners booted the attackers out.

Some proposals have neutral shipyards out there. I would say these would probably be okay, providing they couldn\'t be hijacked by a faction, and were about the size of... how about the largest ship anyone has ever made using the blocks provided at start?

Reaction score
    I like the idea.

However instead of having it build block by block which I think is a bit excessive and unnecessary, instead have it spawn a ghost version of the entire ship to hold the place the ship will end up, and you simply can\'t use it for a number of seconds equal to number of blocks divided by 10.

That might not look as cool as watching it build but it would be a lot more efficient and easier to do.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    After thinking about the math for a little while, I realized how ridiculously long it would take for a ship to be built block by block. A 100 mass ship would take over 15 minutes.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    This would actually be great... Even if people exploited it for materials still, it would look less like breaking of immersion and more like a massive industrial fabricator/replicator...

Reaction score
    I only just saw this idea, but while I would hate having to put blocks into the shipyard (while I know factories become a necessity, I also hate them), the shipyard itself would be amazing (still rather have a money purchase system). Perhaps you build it, then activate the thing, finally the trading guild stocks it up with supplies? Or maybe it would work in conjunction with either a shop or a storage block, utilizing the materials within. If you use a shop, it would cost the normal amount of money, but hooking the shipyard to a storage block would allow you to only need to get the materials yourself, and can be built without money changing hands.

Queuing ships would be another function I would want, or a repeating tool. However, would the A.I. module be active or inactive? It would be terrifying to attack a faction\'s homebase, then watch as a drone silo begins spewing out hundreds of the buggers as the shipyard was stocked with a TON of supplies before you attacked.

The power requirements should be enormous, and watching the ship come together would be amazing! This idea is the other that should be implemented, along with a large modification to the weapons and armour of the game. It has so many possible uses, and the game would become a lot more strategy-based than it is now. However, there should be an option to use the current blueprints system for a server, so that those who don\'t like the idea can go play on their own.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    A drone silo should be entirely possible, but extremely expensive somehow, beyond the cost of the blocks... So yes, power requirements should probably be relatively high. This way, even with lots of starting credits, you\'ll see a LOT more small ships than everyone piloting stupid huge dreadnaughts... particularly when the economy gets balanced. (Unless a server decided to have a public, massive, extremely upgraded shipyard at spawn, but then that would be their own choice.)

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Method: Define ship size by blueprint dimensions, then choose a corner and start filling. Line by line, layer by layer.

Mass based determination of number of blocks placed, utilize a chunk system like in Minecraft.

Take a look at Mineraft\'s Buildcraft mod, it\'ll pretty much perfectly explain what I\'m talking about.

Reaction score
    Would balance shipspawning with shipbuilding, as well as solving those problems you mentioned.

I am confused however about how the ships are built (not the properties of the shipyard or anything, just how the ships are built.)

Reaction score
    From my understanding, it would be like a team of invisible machines constructing your ship using the blueprint, block by block.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I like the idea, but the implemention details are too raw.

The easiest way to code this (almost the code itself):

• A list of build spots - 1st: Core - if finished, create up to 5 more build spots around which are not closer to the core coordinates in either x/y/z
    • Abbort creation if there is an already finished block (requires instantly finished blank blocks for blank space as place-holders) or one of all blocks which are closer (not equal) to the core in x/y/z is not built.
    • If there are destroyed or damaged areas, rebuild and repair them before starting another build in this direction (8) from the core hitting the damagedOuterBox cordinates or beyond (other side of core)
      This should even allow build drones to work :)

Repair:

• Blocks which are damaged get healed first, then start to re-place others.
    • Spots which are enclosed by 5 other blocks have priority and block the enabling of all build spots in all 3 lines in x/y/z from themselves facing away from the core coordinates.

If you fear destroyer-titans, just build it inside (or on the bottom) of your invincible home world and use plex-doors.

Different parts should have different time costs - edges and wedges vs generator blocks.

• Production time cost = (numberShapes(=1 for power blocks and shields ..., =12 for wedges/edges)^1.(x) or just 1.(x) if the same element is on a neighbour block) * distance(this.position idle factory(drone) block with this item in a plex-store/factory-input next to it)^1.(x)

The first part should indicate a player\'s speed, the second should decrease the speed of larger factories.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I think you missunderstand the concept of lag... Lag is caused by heavy calculations, that the computer cannot run in real time. Gradually adding blocks to a structure... not so much. In fact, I have a hard time imagining it being worse than a player in build mode.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Great idea! It would deffinetly add a lot into the game. The only thing is that there would need to be natural spawning shipyards (possible a part of a shop) so that you can buy a ship when you first join a server or if you do not have a faction.

Reaction score
    Excellent suggestion.

It would also solve the issue of player \"pirate\" factions being dependant on overal economy.
    By that I mean, of course, that there is currently no way of generating credits if you don\'t resort to using shops. If you make it possible for factories to construct starships throgh use of actual blocks isntead of credits, you may simply produce those blocks without issues - through mining and factories or through salvaging blown up ships.

I think the current buy-any-ship-with-credits system is a horrible idea, and quite the fun-wrecker, which is why I am playing on a server where bluepritns are disabled.
    I can\'t see anything but benefits of this:

-No blueprint exploitation for parts
    -No instant ship spamming
    -If you lose your capital ship that costs billions, and have no money to buy another one, you can slowly farm the parts to complete it back and gradually build a new ship, instead of having to save for weeks.

The only difficulty I see with this kind of system is that there would be some kind of an in-game blueprint editor for this system to work well. For example, you acces some kind of cube, and it sends you to your own \"instance\" where you can load/save/create blueprints, and basically create PROJECTS. Same as it is in SMEdit, but with existing building options, i.e. 10x, 10x10 or 10x10x10 block placement + symmetries.

That way you could first create a blueprint and then \"Print\" your ship using a shipyard.

Man i\'m excited over this idea.