Shipyard

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I both like and don\'t like the idea. I like it because it allows you to create these production line ships, and still be able to copy massive amounts of your really nicely built ship, but I think it would be better if you had to purchase and/or create the blocks needed (thus necessitating a factory) and put them in a plex container connected to the shipbuilding area.

However, I think the shipyard should be able to repair a ship that it built according to the original blueprints. (wihtout removing blocks that you added on at a later date). Say I took my titan into battle and took heavy losses. If I can drag the limping corpse back to the shipyard I should be able to set it in for repairs,

As for the shipyard size thing, it\'s a double edged sword. On one hand, it makes sense to need a bigger shipyard to get a bigger ship, (although I think the size should be exponentially increased by block added, instead of the way docking ports work now). However, people would be able to just plop down a shipyard and a bunch of blocks in the middle of nowhere and they\'re done.

It would be better to have the shipyards a massive pre-designed thing that is spawned in. (though these shipyards should be able to be designed and saved like the current ships, then bought from the shop. When you buy it, you get a module that you can place down and, if there is enough space, then it is spawned)

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    although I think the size should be exponentially increased by block added, instead of the way docking ports work now

*Joking* If the shipyard is bigger than your ship, do you need a shipyard-yard? :)

It should let you only use planets or stations as shipyards.

I am sure it won\'t lag as much, if your ship is only able to move along an axis until it is far enough away - and some autopilot can aligin it to enter along an axis.

Basically you would only need to do a 2D vs 2D check - small side of ship vs space which is free all along the \"tube\" for your ship - and only check the borders of the plane, after a one-time check if the 2D plane of station is free to certain depth (for the third dimension).

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    No; it can be configurable just like it is now. Credits or blocks, however the server owner wants it.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    If people start to value their ships more because of this... I wonder if it\'ll be more common for people to name them instead of just labeling them with the class name? :P

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    The problem is if you were constructing a ship in your ship yard, I\'m assuming it carries on building whilst your offline, and everyone else on the server was too then there would be a lot of lag. Love the idea though.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    what about changing it so a normal docking module provided it has enough space is a shipyard and if the correct materials or credits (could be changed in config files) the ship will be slowly assembled or if damaged in a fight \"repaired\" to a set of blueprints. This would also allow upgrades of ships. For this to work you would need to have some kind of GUI for docking modules so that ships can be built in them and maybe something so that blueprints are some kind of block which can then be placed into docking modules, this would also mean that if an enemy raids your base they can take your blueprints which would create an incentive to defend shipyards.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    With a few small tweaks. I hate that everyone uses HUGE ships, which causes massive server lag whenever they run into a asteroid, shop, station, planet ect. I see the point about it causing server lag if it built while you were offline, but that can be easily fixed so that it is more like factories are now. Somebody has to be near the shipyard for it to be active, and this makes it so that if you want to have your huge ship you will have to be patient, and wait long periods of time to get it.

However, nobody would want to wait around their ship yard for 264 hours to get their ship. So I believe that it should build quite quickly, but take long enough that ships that are 200k mass take a minimum of 8-10 hours to build, causing there to be a ton less huge ships in the server, reducing lag.

It also puts a \"limit\" to the size of ships, because nobody wants to wait a really long time to get a ship, and I find that a large portion of the people who use huge ships are inpatient, and mostly want their huge ship simply to show it off and be able to say their ship is bigger than yours, even if theirs is hardly functional.

Reaction score
    +1 This is a really nice idea. But I would suggest everything being configurable, 1 sec per 10 blocks will be slow for some people, and too fast for others. I like how it contributes to the faction system and emphasizes infrastructure.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    What if you used more different types of blocks that you could put into the shipyard? Would it also link systems as well?

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Normal docking... meh; I believe that shipyards should be far more expensive. However... what I do agree with is making blueprints into a physical object that can be stolen, duplicated, destroyed, etc. by enemy raiders. You may want to make a new topic in Suggestions about that.