Shipyard

Reaction score
    just a thought, the being built ship would be like any docked ship, and if the building area isnt big enough it will only build whats inside it till you cancel it/expand it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I deeply approve of this idea, and I\'d like to throw a little of my own input at you. First, I like the idea of shipyards having a maximum size that can be expanded, much like docking ports. I also think that, in a way, shipyards should be docking ports, so you can dock a battle scarred ship with them and have it restored from the blueprints.

Obviously, a shipyard would need a lot of power. Like, a lot of power. I still don\'t have a good feel for what is considered high power generation, so I\'ll just go with 10,000 power units a second for 10 blocks a second. 20,000 power units for 15 blocks. 40,000 for 20. Swiftly diminishing returns, but if you\'re building a Titan, you\'ll want as much speed as you can get.

I\'d also like to add that this might not be quite as code-intensive as you think. Blueprints already save all the block data for a given ship. A shipyard could fill in that data block-by-block instead of simultaniously like it does now. If you do it by filling in one line, then another, then another until you complete and entire layer of the ship, then go on to do the next layer, it\'d show progress nicely and require actual effort to get stuck in.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    It could work if it:

1. The building was a simple count down timer to spawn the ship (no visuals during construction)

2. During that time the ship yard zone (like a docking zone) survived intact

3. The deployed ship from the ship yard, is linked to having being \"spawned\" and the game refuses to let you spawn another until the existing one\'s core is destroyed. Stopping people spawning more than one live ship...although piss easy to bypass via some basic hax to export file or other - ignore this point

4. Make it 10 times more costly to import ships from blueprints.

5. Basically make this a long painful, stupidly expensive option a player wont want to take unless you are desperate for your ship. Solves point 3.

Reaction score
    I really need a repair feature like this, and it would also be nice to be able to build ships beyond the credit limit and be able to build a huge ship on a server without spawning a blueprint, but mostly I just want my ship to be as good as new.

Reaction score
    nooo 10k- 10blocks

20k 15 blockss

30k- 20blocks

40k- 25b

50k-30b

60k-35b

70k-40b

80k-45b

90k-50b

100k- 55b

200k-110b

and i didnt want to fill out 110k-190k

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    What kind of autism is this? Just build a base further out from spawn (e.g. 20, -4, -6) and no one will bother you.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    This would be a really interesting feature if schema put it into the game. Players would be encouraged to join factions to acquire a shipyard faster so they can manufacture their ships. It would also allow for business opportunities, for example a really rich player could start a ship-building company by building a whole lot of shipyards and allowing others to use them for a fee! Also I think players should be required to have the materials the ship requires before construction can begin, thus bringing back the importance of factories. Also with the factories back in business, other players may also decide to start factrories to sell blocks or use the blocks for the construction of their own ships!

All in all this idea could help give the game\'s economy more depth and I really hope it gets implemented.

This deserves a REPOST :P

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Master Builder Bronze
    to go along with the timer idea, maye when a shipyard is building the ship, it spawns a block of indestructible \"ship matrix\" (just some fancy textured block that looks cool and has no purpose except for a space-filler) in the same max dimensions as the ship it is building. when the ship timer is up, it despawns this block and replaces it with the ship.

shipyards are always attached to docking modules and the block/ship is built/spawns on that docking module. this covers the size requirement of the shipyard area

ship building time is 1 block/30sec on an unenhanced shipyard. and the enhancers just work the same as factory enhancers but on a 30sec tick time.

ship recipes are bought from your catalog for the 1/5 the current price of blueprints(and edit blueprint cost to be 50% more expensive than currently), and list the materials and # of each required for the ship (like recipes). put that into the shipyard input along with the other materials, and it\'ll refine itself to build ships faster the more completed ships it builds (like, for completing 20 ships, it adds 1 more block/tick for each enhancer and the default speed. for 40 ships, it adds 1 more again, etc.)

add in a remote-materials ordering system where if you input credits into a \"shipment manager block\", it \"orders\" required blocks from shops around the galaxy (spawns them itself) for 110% the price of the materials(10% shipping fee). the shipment manager spawns the ordered blocks 1 hour after the order is placed. then you can link this to all your shipyard modules if desired, and place orders manually for ingredients of the ships (limit ordering to 1 block type per order and only 1 order proccessed per shipping manager block). the shipment manager block should cost about 10 million and should be available in shops. (so that only already established factions/stations/bases have them)

Reaction score
    This would be great, if only there were no \"insert blocks to build a ship\" mechanic. Big ships are hard to buy already, but this way, it would be close to impossible.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Master Builder Bronze
    block count still has to be enormous for an enormous ship. there\'s no reason for a small amount of blocks being input to multiply itself into more blocks for the ship.

Reaction score
    What, you\'d expect that AMCs would run on one line of code? This entire games probably 25 classes large with 250k lines of code. Probably.

50 lines can\'t do much with a game, especially in SM or MC.

Reaction score
    autism has nothing to do with it. what\'s the point of playing on a server if you just run away to where there are no other people?

Reaction score
    I prefer the origional idea, namely, that this would be a replacement for the shop system, and the balencing factor would be time, not cost. the current cost is based on the cost of the blocks a ship is made of, so is balenced. yes, you can make the shipyard require energy and/or materials, but making it super expensive kills the purpose of the idea.

Reaction score
    Instead of actually showing the player the ship being built one by one, make it so that it once you buy a blueprint, somewhere on the screen it shows a countdown of how long it takes until the blueprint is done. But don\'t show it being built one by one because that will cause ALOT of lag, especially for people with shit computers like mine. [7 frames max (._.)]. But if your an admin, there should be command that lets you finish the blueprint immedeatly and in the config, a way to turn it back to insta-make.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Hah, I totally saw that reference coming! Anyways, the countdown idea would work well, I suppose. And it would definitely be easier to implement. Still, having to build a shipyard would make things a bit more balanced, because only a large faction could build and protect shipyards large enough for megalithic ships. Plus, that repair option would probably work best with a shipyard you could dock your ship to. Also, woah! I thought this thread died off 2 days after I posted it!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    As people have pointed out, this idea has come up before, and for good reason: it\'s one that\'s occurred to lots of people independently, because it is one of self-evident awesomeness. The more folks promoting it, the better.

*hands LunaMoonbringer a danish*

The principle reason I support this is because it adds more strategic depth to factional combat: not only do you have to worry about protecting your planets/stations/ships, but you have to protect your shipyards. If you were playing on a server that allowed blueprints, but disallowed buying ships with either credits or blocks, shipyards would be tremendously important. You\'d have to protect your mining ships as they gathered the raw materials, protect your factories as they refined those to produce the blocks necessary for the blueprint, and finally protect the shipyard as it made the ship.

So, yeah. Anything that adds more depth to the game, I\'m in favor of.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I would spend hours watching a ship get built in a shipyard. - Add some random sparks where the blocks get placed... Man that\'d be fun. - I know it\'d be some work to accomplish, but it\'d drastically increase the fun for me.

+1.