Shipyard

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Well, if you know me, you know I am not a person to make suggestions often. I understand that the game is still in a very volatile state, and that the developers are working extremely hard to make sure that the game is the best that it can be. However, I had an idea the other day, and I can't find it suggested anywhere else, so here it is.

My suggestion is as follows:

One of the biggest problems in the game is the fact that if your ship is destroyed in combat, you would almost certainly be able to buy a new one right away. This removes just about any element of strategy to combat, as even if you manage to take out an integral part of an enemy fleet, a new ship will replace it within five minutes. The easiest solution to this would be to remove blueprints. But it would be terrible to lose all of your hard work on that capital ship just because some troll came along while you were offline and destroyed it! Therefore, I propose the introduction of a new system of construction from blueprints. You would be able to construct a shipyard, in which you could insert a blueprint purchased from the shop. The shipyard would then construct the ship block by block until it matched the blueprint. It would do so at a rate slightly faster than a person (10-20 blocks per second), but since it would run every second until it finished, with no distractions, it would be done far sooner than rebuilding a ship by hand. This would actually fix several major problems that have been complained about on the forums lately. First of all, the low speed of it would make it slightly less worth it to exploit blueprints for parts. Second, it would make people think more tactically about combat, because if a ship is destroyed, it would not be instantly replaced, but take a couple hours to be constructed again. Also, multiple shipyards could give a faction base a "production line" effect. Third, it would help fight gigantism. Since you would need to build a larger shipyard for a larger ship, and it would take much longer to make, players would consider the benefits of smaller ships, or at least not giving everyone in their faction a Titan.

If you have comments, criticism, hate, or anything else, feel free to hit me with your best shot!

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I like the idea, but maybe make it slightly faster than a normal person building it, but then that may just be my random madness; as I actually quite like giganticism :)

Reaction score
    a 10 blocks a second rebuild, and like docks and YES

Reaction score
    For larger ships (Or to build smaller ones faster) You could make shipyards in orbit of a planet to have more space and speed, but it would be SIGNIFIGANTLY more expencive.

Reaction score
    Your idea is fine. Perhaps instead of using credits to \'buy\' the construction of the ship, you have to load the raw materials into the shipyard, that would completely remove exploiting blueprints for parts, and also fight gigantisim very effiectively, as you would have to scavenge/shop for all the materials before building the ship.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I haven\'t actually played the game yet because I only found it recently, but I still think this idea sounds good. Judging from the sound of the problem you described, I think I\'d rather have to have my ship rebuild itself slowly than to have it instantly come back, not only to stop an instant replacement potentially in the middle of a battle, but also because a mechanic like this would add some realism to the game. To make an exmaple, in real life, no one can just blow up a car and honestly expect to easily get a new one. It takes time, money, and effort from someone or something for each car or other vehicle to be made.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    This is a great idea! Not only would it promote more tactical ways of thinking, it would also make it impossible for someone to spam huge battleships and lag out a server. Plus it would be kind of cool to watch.

Reaction score
    The speed of the build could perhaps even be modified as in...

super fast mega build speed (insert ridiculous amount of cash)

regular build (insert blueprint cost)

slow build (insert 25% off of price of blueprint)

Just to give the game a bit more diversity seeing as you can quickly build fighters at regular speed so why not go cheaper and get them in twice or three times the time? Along with that the Titan you need to get back in a rush would require your faction to economically cripple itself for a short amount of time, or risk having its supply chain crippled.

So many possibilities for this idea! Plus faction homes would be A LOT more interesting and diverse compared to the box filled with shield blocks like they are now.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    i is a good idea but here is the problem i have a very expensive ship in production but some jerk with masive titan is destroying it faster than it can build itself or regenerate shields

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    It is logical that someone in titan should be able do destroy building ship. I would go even one step further: If building ship is shot, it stops building for... Maybe 2 minutes? Because if you have shipyards, you don\'t want enemy to come close. That\'s why they would need defences. To be fair: if you are building expensive ship, then simply protect the shipyard.

Reaction score
    I\'m sorry but no I don\'t like this idea. All of this stuff would take to much code and Schema is already busy as it is. I\'m not apposed to a way to stop of the spamming of giant ships but I don\'t like the shipyard idea.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    @Fermdik: Just move your ship, for now. Put up some turrets to deal with him, or find somewhere else to hide.

@SageofThunder: Did you even read my intro? I stated how I know all the work this would take. This isn\'t a demand, not even a request. It\'s simply a suggestion, an idea I put out into the community to see what people think of it.

@LoLzboi: That is a really good idea, except for the amount of coding that would take. But you never know!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    But perhaps the shipyards shouldn\'t be just player made? Perhaps they also spawn around shops. They are unbreakable but the blueprint cost is doubled, so there is a \"safe\" option as well. Also, instead of block by block, perhaps 10 x 10 x 10 segments? They have, say, a 10 second delay between each but it would be easier to make ships this way.

Those are my thoughts, at least.

Reaction score
    And ship building systems are cool. It would give something to focus a base around.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have considered making macros that will build my ships for me but this is 1000x better! Everyone try and get the testers and staff to see this thread, please!

Reaction score
    I love the idea and have been also wondering how hard it would be to potentially be able to add these \"factories or shipyards or builders\" to ships to create a mobile shipyard which would be very cool. it would also open up possibilities of motherships having the ability to replace drones or fighters as they get destroyed. the other thing to thing about, is how to supply the \"factories or shipyards or builders\". The main option i can think of is through simply putting the blocks required in an inventry or even have it pull blocks from another inventory such as a chest or a factory which alows for even more automation. the \"factories or shipyards or builders\" may also need energy specially if they are going to be put on ships so possible ways of doing it is by ignoring blocks and have it create blocks from energy, as long as energy is a little nerfed or used in tandem with blocks where the energy is needed to place the block down in the build area

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    @Edit0: A mobile shipyard, although useful, has the potential to become overpowered. And of course the shipyards would need power; They would probably be built as part of a space station or such. But creating blocks with energy? ATM energy is easy enough to produce that it would be like free ships.

@Killzone: Well, maybe. But it wouldn\'t look nearly as cool as being assembled block by block!

Reaction score
    A bunch of us hanging out in Public Chat got wind of this post, and we talked about some ideas and such. Here\'s what we came up with:

Dimensional Limits on Shipyards:

- Using a mechanism such as Docking Modules/Enhancers, you can make the shipyard area larger.

- If a shipyard is not large enough for a ship to fit in it unobstructed, construction will not begin.

Addressing Shop Blueprints:

- Shops can still sell ships, however it costs credits based on the Dimensions of the ship in question, and the number of Blocks it has.

- This makes it much cheaper to build your own shipyard, and build ships there.

Module Cost:

- It would be very important to make shipyards difficult to create without having the proper money. One wouldn\'t be able to build a massive supercapital shipyard if he only had a million credits!

- The Shipyard Modules and Shipyard Enhancer Modules would need to be costly. Somewhere in the range of thousands, to tens of thousands of credits.

Shipyard Limits:

- In order to prevent overproduction of supercapitals and other high-value ships, it would be important to have limitations on shipyards. Either per-player limits or per-faction limits.

- There could also be a config option to disable the limit.

Reaction score
    I LOVE IT it would be so useful! basicly just grab a shipyard module from the shop plop it down somewhere and use it like a build block and build your shipyard!

At first when i saw the title I thought of something else! like very rarely find a \"shipyard\" in space that has a buch of random ships and maybe even some of your own but there all damaged and fractured, you can salvage them ALL! that would be awesome >:D