Shipyard

Reaction score
    ApachePilotMPE (i hope i spelled it right) said:

- It would be very important to make shipyards difficult to create without having the proper money. One wouldn\'t be able to build a massive supercapital shipyard if he only had a million credits!

- The Shipyard Modules and Shipyard Enhancer Modules would need to be costly. Somewhere in the range of thousands, to tens of thousands of credits.

Well I disagree with the shipyard enhancers. Wouldnt it be nice to just put down a shipyard module but instead a shipyard module is actually like a build block where you can just build and customize your own shipyard BUT the edges or walls of your shipyard would be the dimension the shipyard can build a ship into

Reaction score
    ApachePilotMPE (i hope i spelled it right) said:

- It would be very important to make shipyards difficult to create without having the proper money. One wouldn\'t be able to build a massive supercapital shipyard if he only had a million credits!

- The Shipyard Modules and Shipyard Enhancer Modules would need to be costly. Somewhere in the range of thousands, to tens of thousands of credits.

Well I disagree with the shipyard enhancers. Wouldnt it be nice to just put down a shipyard module but instead a shipyard module is actually like a build block where you can just build and customize your own shipyard BUT the edges or walls of your shipyard would be the dimension the shipyard can build a ship into

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Variations of this idea have come up before, they all have cool little extras to them though;

-Docking a ship to a shipyard would cause it to unbuild/rebuild to the blueprint, allowing the shipyard to also work as a repair yard for damaged ships (still limited by the build rate and availability of resources)

-The shipyard should have the same interface as a factory block, and require that you load it with supplies to build from.

-each \'tick\' of the shipyard would eat power from the object it\'s built to, based on the number of enhancers attached. So a large factory base with turrets and shipyards would have a significant power drain that needs to be managed.

-----------------

One idea was that you had 2 kinds of enhancers, the first works like a docking enhancer to create the area the ship is built in, the 2nd works like a factory enhancer that increases the rate of build. By default the shipyard would build at 1block/5sec (using the same tick period as factories), with more enhancers adding 1block/5sec/enhancer, just as factory enhancers do. Hell, you could be lazy and just have input enhancers do double duty as factory or shipyard depending on what links to them. The restricting factor on this would be a large exponential increase in power requirement per enhancer (moreso than with factories) - I\'m thinking each enhancer after the first would double the power requirement.

Reaction score
    when i mentioned creating blocks with energy i meant as long as energy was nerfed such as solar panels or feeding blocks to reactor

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Great idea, had it before too

the block by block idea is cool but i think thats very code intensive and could cause lag issues

so my suggestion would be that u need a docking block witht he size of the ship u want to build, than u can connect a shipyard block to the docking modul und put the resouerces in the shipyard modul

maybe there could be a blueprint modul to get the blueprint sheets or so

and when u put the blue print in, shipyard calculates the time to build it and spawns it when the countdown is over (the more blocks the longer it takes)

the build speed could depend on the number of blocks so that bigger ships build with better Block/second whatever

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Imagine having 20 small shipyards on a super carrier that would generate lots and lots small fighters. Then having undeathanators on the ship, so then you could send lots of small fighters out, creating a very versatile and powerful (BUT NOT INDESTRUCTABLE) strategy.

Reaction score
    I really like the basic idea. I mean a lot. This solves so many problems.

Also, I majorly agree with the idea of working in some kind of repair system into the Shipyard concept. Additionally, it would be cool if you could use ship yards to refit ships. Essentially you give the shipyard a blueprint and have it remove blocks and then place new ones. Sure you could use this to change one ship into a completely different ship design, but with time it would take I\'d imagine most people would just use it to refit or upgrade smaller ships.

I don\'t really see a need to buy blueprints from the shop. I think it would be easier if the shipyard just used the catalog system we already have.

Shipyards probably need to have some sort of build area mechanic, like the one people are suggesting that uses enhancers like a docking module. Building would need to stop if another ship flies into the build area so that unexpected collisions don\'t happen from the blocks magically appearing. Neutral shipyards could spawn and have a modest build area of 50x50x50.

I also like the idea of mobile shipyards and being able to put shipyards on carriers so that they can field repair/rebuild fighters which you will probably be losing like crazy once a full blown faction war breaks out. This would have to be balanced of course, and may require a rework the power generation system if that is used as a balancing factor.

Hope this helps. – SageThe13th

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I know how much *extra* coding that would take. IT would simply be building from systems you would already have to make. although, i think its a stupid idea it would only ammount to about 50 lines of code, and then the UI elements.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    (in my oppinion) i rather like the blueprinting system how it is, but a system like this would be very useful.

a way to incorporate this on a giant mothership would be a nice idea, but maybe the smaller the ship, the less time it takes to build? this would sorta fight gigantism, say your in a faction war and lose your biggest ship, instead of waiting for their big ship to rebuild, they will have to get smaller ships so they have a chance of surviving, or winning, the war.

Reaction score
    The first comment for this topic over at Reddit is Schema saying he was already planning a feature like this. And why not? It is a brilliant idea.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I seriously had no idea about that until you pointed it out, but now I\'m excited.

I love the shipyard idea. I really dislike servers that disallow blueprints, as I enjoy using ships I meticulously optimized myself. When I design a ship, it is done in peace and quiet in Singleplayer and it is done in a way which intentionally reflects my building philosophers and themes. That kind of thinking cannot be done in the middle of a faction war.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I thought Schema was going to do Shipyards anyway? Baing able to build and fix ships within shipyards and shipyards storing materials FOR those ships? Might just be me...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    *planned features* but what spartan says is correct. schema has said he will implement some kind of ship yard in the game at some point, but it doesnt say he will, these are just ideas that have been discussed with schema, which means that they might not go into the game, we will only know at a later stage.

if you dont believe me, look at this list: http://star-made.org/wiki/planned-features

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think the easiest way for now would be to add an option ot restore a ship to it\'s original condition at a shop. Replace it later with the Shipyard feature but for now, we really just need a way to get large ships fixed easily.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    This removes just about any element of strategy to combat

On the contrary, it does not remove the element of strategy but the element of caution. Players can rush into combat knowing they have little to lose, because they can simply just go buy the ship design again.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    There is strategy involved in picking which ships go into a fight. So, with the blueprints, it doesn\'t matter which ships you send, you can always buy them back.... Must you be so anal retentive on every thread you comment on? Fix the idea, not what the poster said. You\'re smart, we get it. Here\'s a cookie.

Reaction score
    At first I thought it was directed at the Shipyard idea. Rereading the first post I realized that the quoted line in the above comment is from easier in the original post stating that the current system has no element of strategy. So is this post saying the the current system has no element of caution? I guess I can agree. But why did you make a post that doesn\'t even mention the feature this topic is about?

Reaction score
    Maybe you can have a system of builders in the base which means you can add more builders to the project/shipyard and it increases the construction time instead of having a mode where you can just speed it up.

Also you could have a thing where you see minature robots fly around (aka the Builders) to build the ship so that it has a cool effect.

Finally you should also be able to add turrets to the shipyard so that they can defend it whilst the ship is bein made.

Reaction score
    These times assume a building speed of 1 second per block and are rounded to the nearest minute.

50 mass = 8 minutes

100 mass = 17 minutes

500 mass = 1 hour, 23 minutes

1,000 mass = 2 hours, 47 minutes

2,500 mass = 6 hours, 57 minutes

5,000 mass = 13 hours, 53 minutes

10,000 mass = 1 day, 3 hours, 47 minutes

50,000 mass = 5 days, 18 hours, 53 minutes

100,000 mass = 11 days, 13 hours, 47 minutes