Shipyard

Reaction score
    If a faction had a bunch of people, and nobody was rich enough to build a shipyard, the faction could save their credits so a shipyard could be built, bringing in a possible bank system.

Reaction score
    i think there should be a new type of block for this, basically it would create a new type of space station (obviously know as a ship yard) you could build the shipyard to look however you like, aslong a you have a docking module to dock the ship (or build the new one), i think on its own this block would build ships at 5 block a sec, but you would have a booster module to increase the speed eg.

Shipyard block on its own (5 a sec)

Block +1 booster (7 a sec)

Block +2 boosters (9 a sec)

basically the more booster you have the faster it builds, ofcourse there would be a soft cap for this so maybe after 20 boosters it would only add 1 block a second more per every 5 boosters added (or even a hard cap to stop at say 50 per sec)

EDIT - i just realised how retarded i am, i didnt see the shipyards module idea already suggested in the very forum....

Reaction score
    I really like this idea, it is well thought out. The only thing I would suggest to go along with it is make the ship being built invincible. That way you wouldn\'t have to worry about it being destroyed while it is being built.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Why not have to worry about it being destroyed while built ? :O.

You should have to solve that problem. - with turrets / encapsulating the build-area.

Reaction score
    I love this idea. But limiting would ruin the idea of fixing large ships. Having to recollect the blocks or cost more credits than the original blueprint would already be a deterrent. Unless of course they\'re an Admin.

Reaction score
    Hi,

I also like the idea and want it to happen.

For the blueprints, I\'d give each player a small portable computer - let\'s call it the player\'s PDA (Portable Digital Assistant) to save me some typing. When a player activates their PDA and selects \"ship design\", they get taken to a special building mode. This building mode would be mostly the same as we have now; except you wouldn\'t need to have any blocks in your inventory at all, the ship design only exists inside the PDA (and doesn\'t exist in space), and all the normal distractions that cause additional graphics lag (planets, stars, stations, asteroids, other ships, etc) wouldn\'t be displayed (e.g. maybe just have a blue background, the ship being designed and nothing else displayed). The PDA would also have other menus for ship building - e.g. to see a list of blocks needed to build it, to see ship stats (shield size, thrust, mass, etc), to see and adjust default weapon stats, etc. Of course the player\'s PDA would also have other menus for things that have nothing to do with ship design; like faction management, shop, chat, navigation, etc.

Once a ship is designed it\'d be a file inside your PDA. You\'d go to a shipyard and upload the design into the shipyard\'s computer and give the shipyard the blocks needed to make the ship. The factory would have a \"work area\", and would change whatever is in this work area so it matches the ship design. This includes building a ship from nothing, repairing/restoring a damaged ship, converting one ship into a completely different ship (e.g. park a titan in the work area, and then get the factory to add and remove blocks until it becomes a glorious Isanth VI) and also destroying a ship (e.g. converting a titan into a \"nothing\").

The shipyard would work in 3 phases (not including uploading the design to the shipyard\'s computer):

a) Analyzing. This would be about 60 seconds of the shipyard\'s computer flashing the word \"Analyzing\" on its screen while it actually does nothing. At the end of this phase the factory will tell you about any problems (e.g. not enough blocks to build the ship). The main point of this phase is to add a little realism (maybe the factory is warming up its whatsit re-jigulators), and to increase the time it takes for players to spawn tiny ships.

b) Removal. This is where the shipyard removes any unwanted blocks in the work area.

c) Building. This is where the shipyad adds any wanted blocks to the work area.

For removal and building speed; for large ships I tend to use symmetry and place 200 or more blocks with each mouse click (up to about 4000 blocks per mouse click). Often what slows me down is lag (both server lag and graphics card lag, especially when working on large salvager/AMC/missile systems due to the video card killing \"purple wobble frame\"). If lag wasn\'t an issue, I\'d probably be able reach a max. building speed of 5 mouse clicks (of 200 or more blocks) per second without too much trouble. In other words, humans should be able to build at a rate of 1000 or more blocks per second (especially if they don\'t need to spend time thinking/designing). A factory should be at least as efficient as a human; and therefore should also be removing or placing about 1000 blocks per second.

Note: Based on the above; a tiny ship would take about 60 seconds to build (due to \"analyzing\"); and a large ship with 1 million blocks would take 1060 seconds (nearly 18 minutes).

On top of this, I\'d have a list of publicly available ship designs stored in the shipyard\'s computer that anyone can use (and anyone can add their design to). I\'d also allow players to transfer files directly from their PDA to another player\'s PDA; so that (e.g.) you can transfer your ship design to the leader of an allied faction without giving your enemies any chance of getting that ship design. This also means that a player (with no credits or blocks) can create a ship design, and then trade their ship design to other players for credits and/or blocks.

Reaction score
    ok so say i have a mother ship and this HUGE ship yard used to make it and i was in a fight and lost some drones along with some that are damaged i porpose that if you redock in the ship yard it will fix and rebuild lost drones and turrets on ships along with any hull DMG giving yet another purpose to having more then one ship yard and my second idea is a mobile ship factory for if say i am in a fight a titan with a mother ship again and all my drone are dead do to those damn turrets im screwed cus my drone was my main DPS so my propose the mobile ship factory a block that combines the docking enhancer and a ship yard but less expensive and slower plus it take up power to rebuild my drones in a fight also repair ones that are damaged so the fight can continue

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Qweesdy I think that your PDA is an AWSOME idea (but maybe a differnt name in the end).

One idea that myself and a friend have is the ability to use power too (lots), so that you don\'t have to put all of the blocks that it would need in, this is more for those nit-picky blocks that you only have like 10 or so of.

Reaction score
    with one exception; there\'s noo need to fight \"gigantism\". This plan won\'t do so either. Think about how cool would it be to see your titan being built in a titan-yard.

However; I\'ve tried to do something (visually) similar; Way back, I built a space station, enclosing an 400 x 300 x 150 area, to protect my half-finished ships from pirate attacks.

It looked amazing. Real shipyard-like, with huge defense turrets.

Then I started building a 300 long cruiser inside, and the game lagged to hell before the most basic frame was done.

That needs to be fixed before we can think of working shipyards.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I can mostly agree on the intention of that suggestion, but I see a few flaws in the implementation.

Dimensional limits:

-Of course, wasn\'t that the idea all along?

-No, it shouldn\'t be able to dock.

Shop Blueprints:

-No, the idea of immediate ship construction, no matter the cost, is neither sensible nor balanced, except maybe on really small scales.

Costs:

-No, the fact that you still need the blocks of your ships will be built acts as a much more suitable bottle neck. Sure, they shouldn\'t be oversly cheap, but mere quantity has little effect on gameplay in this case.

Limits:

-No, as per above

And that\'s about it.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I believe that would not be much of a problem. Wth a feature like this, the ship would be docked to the yard, which should in turn be limited to stationary structures like planets or station, thus eliminating the need for laggy physics.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    This is a great idea, I believe I suggested it myself at some earlier point. I think I\'ll write a more througout compilation of my ideas for it\'s implementation shortly.

Reaction score
    A tiny tier would be able to produce ships with a mass less than 5000 and could be put on ships with a mass over 10000.

A small tier would be able to produce ships with a mass less than 10000 and could be put on ships with a mass over 50000.

A medium tier would be able to produce ships with a mass less than 50000 and could be put on ships with a mass over 100000.

A large tier would not be able to be destroyed or purchased and would be able to produce ships with a mass less than 100000 while also not being able to be put on ships at all but only be found next to a small amount of shops quite far out from spawn making them a rare commodity.

Is this a good idea? Would you have it any different?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    >All of this stuff would take to much code and Schema is already busy as it is.

You\'re not objectively criticizing this idea, you\'re saying what the priorities when that\'s not the point. Of course schema has more important stuff to code, but that doesn\'t make it a better or worse idea.

I personally think this idea is great, ships that spawn out of the blue is turn off. But I think there should be more ideas regarding gigantic ships.

Reaction score
    I love this idea of the vessel being built 10 blocks per second. I would love to watch the vessels be constructed like this.

Though the only problems I can see are HUGE vessels. What size would the standard Spacedock be? Could certain docks only build certain sized vessels. So to build titans you would have to hunt down a spacedock that would fit it.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    It would indeed be better, but these macros of which you speak... if I understand you correctly, they are software that would exercise some form of control over your game avatar as to synchorinze a ship with a provided blueprint? In that case, I\'d say make them anyway. We have no idea when schema will implement the shipyards, but if you are sufficiently skillied, you might be able to pull this off long before that. If such a tool was publicly available, the main reason for blueprints to exist would be eliminated, allowing more admins to disable them and thus contribiute to game balance. Furthermore, the highly efficient autorepair it would provide would remove the game\'s perhaps second most annoying facet, that of ships being rendered useless the moment their shields go down in combat.

Bottom line, if you could do what I believe you are referring to, do it. It\'s generally a good idea to take the chance of revolutionizing something for the batter when you have it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Legacy Citizen
    To be a block named \"ShipYard\" and when you place it (with a button) create a shipyard.To make a ship you need half of the credits need to make the ship and to have an block menu.When you bui from a shop a blueprint put in the shipyard block and when you want press a button and make a blueprint.(If you have 2 blueprints and make 1 blueprint to be an options to select what blueprint to be. Oh and he can be build and in (shipyard) and on a spacestation.

Reaction score
    A shipyard sounds good actually...
    Lets make it a block sorta like docking modules with their limited space, you gotta add enhancers to get more size, and more power = faster building.

also, it should go without saying, but automated building via blueprint catalog should require all blocks necessary, not credits as most shops dont have 50k hardened hull or 5k power blocks for sale...

also, faction modules...
    if its a part of homebase, it cannot be destroyed.