New Years News

Reaction score
    Hi,

Um, what happens when you combine 3 or more different types of weapons?

Can we have a beam (master) with 3 secondaries (cannon, missile and beam), to end up with an instant weapon with a fast rate of fire that does a cone of damage at long range?

AJC

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    These weapons all sound very good, but are they going to be too big? I think scalability should be factored in here somewhere. I myself like my ships like I like my women, goodlooking and shapely. I believe too big a weapons will cause everyone to build either giant cubes or rediculous looking warhammer looking ships with massive guns everywhere .....realism people.

Reaction score
    Due to the way the chart is labeled, I\'m going to guess that having more than 2 types of weapons does nothing, and I doubt that the way calibri has described the Master/slave system even allows for more than 2 types in a single system.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I\'m pretty sure Schema is clever enough to lock the weapons to 2 systems. Let him worry about balancing ^

Reaction score
    You already do the same thing already with scaled down weapons on fighters and such, just do the same if you also want your hybrid systems scaled down.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'m stoked for the multiple missile types and the giant beam cannons.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    But, but, why not have kilometer-wide cannons lining each flank of your ship?

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    will the Ai be upgraded to fire straight up if weapons computers r facing up so i can hav some sweet side mounted beam cannons for my capital ships?

Reaction score
    although AI isnt the focus of this update, i do beleive the ability to use broadsides is a function AI will eventually have in the game

Reaction score
    Of course it\'s not a joke, silly. As has been said, it\'s NOT coming in the next update, but it IS coming. :)

And indeed: spreading the work load is essential to the future of the game. There\'s no reason Schema should be forced to manage the community communications and fiddle around in 3ds Max until some sort of 3d model comes out of it when that time could be spent doing what he does best. Which he does absurdly well.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I just had a thought on this, it would be cool if you could not only master/slave various weapons together but also a light cube as well, the colour of the cube then changes the colour of the weapon. Makes sense really as to change a lasers colour you would need to change the spectrum frequency of light it was omitting.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    From what you have said, I take it that beam weapons are simply instant AMC type weapons then? So a cutting laser beam that you can slice a cross an enemies hull isn\'t possible then? :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I have noticed some people making comments about not bothering playing the game or designing / building ships till the new weapon system is implemented, this really isn\'t the right attitude to have, given the sheer colossal amount of development Schema is working on for you guys, I think that it is only right that we fully support his product via play testing and promoting the existing game as it is (which to be fair for an alpha is bloody excellent). After all this system if it is as radical as it sounds, will be potentially months away from being released (in my opinion).

As regards to worrying about the impact of changes to existing ship designs, I see this no differently than if I was designing a really ship (suspend belief :) ), technology moves forwards, a warship of today will clearly be surpassed and different to a warship of the future, new weapons are developed with new capabilities, just look at the radical shake up in naval warfare in the world in the last 200 years, we have gone from Wooden Sailing Warships firing Cannon Balls and to Complex Alloy Stealth Ships with Guided Missiles, Aircraft, Radar, Lasers, Rail Guns (yeah some ships are being tested with them).

I like the idea that the content is evolving to include new systems and abilities, yeah my existing designs will become redundant / obsolete but guess what, that\'s progress. You can\'t expect your uber 2,000,000 DPS AMC shotgun arrays to forever but the standard of weapon design. :) Actually might be a potential for an event on persistent servers where the old era warships are pitted against the new era warships to see who\'s the top dog.

I\'d make the humble suggestion to players to try and enjoy the current system as it is for in a couple of months it will forever be gone :( .

Reaction score
    Glad to see you as PR guy, Cal.

Looking forward to the new weapon system, hope close range weapons deliver more bang for the buck so they can be abused with stealth systems.