New Power DEV Thread

Reaction score
    impossible is a strong word for something thats been around for approx 10 seconds, and people acting like they know everything when they havent really done much research just helps spread ignorance and misinformation. i dont need to prove anything to recommend you not sound like a 16th century catholic.
    The personal attack isn't necessary or helpful to anyone.

I'm always open to learning - if you can show that I'm wrong please do. Until then I'll assume that you can't.

G

GDPR 302420

Show a *long* shield spaghetti strand that is fully covered, and has the same level of shielding that the same number of shields can achieve in a non-spaghetti strand formation.
    Moot point, one of the key reasons behind Spaghetti ships being as good as they are is because they can AVOID taking damage in the first place.

Reaction score
    Moot point, one of the key reasons behind Spaghetti ships being as good as they are is because they can AVOID taking damage in the first place.
    No disagreement from me. This doesn't alter the correctness of what I've said though:

If you want to shield spaghetti (and from what I've been told it does typically get shielded) you either need:
    - some non-spaghetti structure
    - multiple weaker shields
    - some unshielded areas

I've made no claims on how significant that fact actually is though. I've pointed out myself previously that it's potentially insignificant.

G

GDPR 302420

No disagreement from me. This doesn't alter the correctness of what I've said though:

If you want to shield spaghetti (and from what I've been told it does typically get shielded) you either need:
    - some non-spaghetti structure
    - multiple weaker shields
    - some unshielded areas
    Doesnt matter, its still a moot point and therfor you being right or wrong is meaningless.

Reaction score
    Doesnt matter, its still a moot point and therfor you being right or wrong is meaningless.
    Yes, as I've said, I don't make any claims on its significance.

"Meaningless" is only a matter of opinion. I assume anyone who incorrectly claimed I was wrong didn't think it was meaningless at the time.

Thingie

Professional Lurker
    Reaction score
    This debate has left OP and turned personal. I request it be taken to pms or stopped all together thank you.
    Anything posted on this personal debate will be deleted from this point.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    multiple weaker shields
    Why ?
    You got a pasta ship (spaghetti are pasta and pasta is shorter to write down) so if you got a long ship what is there to prevent you from making a long shield block ?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The shield bubble is centred on the middle of the shield rechargers. So while its possible to make a very long shield recharger block its possible to extend it outside the shield bubble radius. Also the weak point of a pasta ship with the new shields is if you take out a single shield recharger in the string it splits into two strings with the smallest one still inside the main bubble disabled drastically reducing your shield recharge.

Also your reactor power is now based on a linear scale for number of blocks, so while long strings are hard to damage there is no box dimension power bonus. Were also not sure what the damage to reactors/stabilisers will be like yet.

Reaction score
    My shields are not working at all. They're not getting power...
    Also all previously loaded ships i had lost their turrets, elevators, rail doors etc.
    Shields are getting power and recharging as they before did. It's just that the UI isn't delivering the real-time data to you, due to the changes in the shield mechanics (possibly because shields are now handled diffferently and there is no full coverage shielding anymore). I had to test this by creating a test build with shields and shooting at it to check if the shields were actually working.

I also noticed the docked entities and turrets on my test station going into a short overheat and then poofing out. That might be due to the changes in how docked entities are handled in-game. I was able to get them back in just fine, and they stayed in place after relogging.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Why ?
    You got a pasta ship (spaghetti are pasta and pasta is shorter to write down) so if you got a long ship what is there to prevent you from making a long shield block ?
    Theres another good post detailing why you can;t, especialy for pasta.
    Also, the devs have said they do not want ships with high ammounts of shield bubbles, and will likely put a mechanic in place to prevent it. Pasta ships are very spread out and connecting enough shield blocks together to form an anywhere resonable sized shield bubble would take forever, and would barely cover a hundred or two blocks at the most.
    It will simply not be possible to shield a pasta if the devs follow through, as your shield bubbles dont scale anywhere near large enough, and you cannot spam tiny shield groups everywhere. Even then the shielding offered by them would be neglible.
    Its defiantly an improvement, but something would still need to be done regarding how they are extremly difficult to hit or deal significant damage too.

Reaction score
    Why ?
    The range bubble diameter doesn't keep up with the increased length of the spaghetti strand. So you can have powerful shields, but a spaghetti strand that generates them won't fully fit inside them.

ZektorSK

Poor boi from northern Hungary ^^
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I remember the days when no one had a problem with power system... Suddenly, it is the only thing that is talked about in starmade community

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Somebody please upload a stick ship so i can blast it with my fighters. Last dev version please.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Somebody please upload a stick ship so i can blast it with my fighters. Last dev version please.
    I mean someone could, but they are horrid to make lol, and hopefully they can be executed and removed from the game.
    Half the stuff in the dev build is still bugged unfortunatly :/
    Its a ship specialy designed to exploit mechanics to win PvP duels, not for general purpose or use by the AI lol. If you've got a couple of free hours I'm sure you could put one together too.

Reaction score
    Just build a long ship on one axis with power and stabilizers on each sides with long sticks of systems with 5m between each sticks. Put 2.5 thrusts, mobility chambers (former overdrive defensive) and then all you have left to do is place some turrets all around in order to get ~20% of the mass dedicated to weapons. It can be more, that's even better. You can then add some shields because, why not.

Depending on the size of the thing you might want more space between each sticks, or less if it is really small.

Happy building.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Wow, all that over spaghetti!
    Well my Rigatoni-Miners are doing fine.

I'm back with another report, concluding DEV 134, and Beginning DEV 136.

Well I continued the battle to get anything done on my station. I increased my power to 100 blocks so I had a power regen of 10,000/sec, I then placed a Refinery and loaded it with some raw shards and ores. Nothing happened yet. Now I need to make some chambers, chamber size needed is 50. I set my sector up so I can build 3 stations in each sector, so I snuggled close to a shop as well. I made a 3rd station, this one will do all the refining, and manufacturing I need until I can get it working on the new station. Of course I used old power. so I made 50 logistics chambers, installed them, set it to BAKE, I checked. Hey! while I was doing all that, It processed a few items. So it worked, but very verrrrrrrry slow going. Hooked up a basic factory, same deal.

I made a little scooter ship with shields, That's a huge bubble compared to my little ship. I docked it to the new station. This would be a good test to see if it will undock itself or vanish. Here's a thought, while docked, That bubble also encases my station too. Is my station shielded too?

I hopped into one of my miners, reset the logistic chambers for Mobile Factory. A refinery, basic - standard - advanced factories CAN'T BE PLACED ON A SHIP, O K , reverted back to mining bonus and carried on.

I needed a break,

The NEXT DAY, Upgrade 136 available, Done.

The last place I left off at was where I was mining, so I continued there, all OK, time to go back to the station, I read that the factory is now working. Arrived there, first thing that hit me was, My station with the old power is gone. Nothing in my navigation, just gone. Well this will be a good test won't it. I got the refinery going, ITS WORKING, so I added a Basic Factory, set it to make hull, working too. Well that's all fine and dandy, yet its still displaying "insufficient energy : 0.0%". They must have added an override for Factories to work and there are still problems with the power. OK this is good sofar, on the newbie side of things, starting off with scratch and still being able to produce and expand is now there.
    NOTE: During all my testings, I keep it as survival mode, I rely solely on what I harvest, buy or sell. Eventually going into manufacturing. When it comes to creating fleets, I always start by buying the first blueprint from the shop and filling it up myself until I can spawn it. Only then will I start using admin spawns, for further testing.

Next area of interests:
    Turrets, Ive seen others testing this, are they now working? with or with out AI module?
    New power system on a planet. Has any one tried this one yet?

What I'll be working on next, testing weapons and shields on a pirate station. I think with the fixing of the shields, I may be able to enter the battlefield with my fleets now.

cheers

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Ok, .146 out here. Turrets finally got their shield sharing back.

But WTF, CORE SNIPING? Shot a totally intact Isanth VI remodel with a pulse cannon and guess what? No damage sustained, except for one block of armor and Bobby module. And overheat achieved. The ship otherwise perfectly intact and functional.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Ok, .146 out here. Turrets finally got their shield sharing back.

But WTF, CORE SNIPING? Shot a totally intact Isanth VI remodel with a pulse cannon and guess what? No damage sustained, except for one block of armor and Bobby module. And overheat achieved. The ship otherwise perfectly intact and functional.
    Yeah, I guess if the ship has no new reactor/chamber blocks that may happen...