New Power DEV Thread

Reaction score
    get frustrated because they don't always work like they're supposed to
    Don't get frustrated, because unless you have some insider knowledge, you actually don't know how the devs intend them to work. It may very well be they're just toying with one system, and a few values have snuck in that aren't relevant at all to them, but cause you to perceive everything else as broken.
    If you find that frustrating, then it might be better to stick with the stable or pre releases.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Last time
    I tried a 1mill reactor in the dev build the "required stable distance" (as in 100% stabilization, with all stabilizers at 100%) was about 420m in all. Though you can put stabilizers far closer than that, they just won't be as effective, and you need a lot more of them for 100% stabilization.
    420 m :eek:////.....................
    I'm dead
    May I ask how many reactor/stabilizor blocks that was:? 1 mill BETTER be a lot of power...
    As if my computer struggled enough with my 300m long ships :,(
    I guess we are just ment to build the ship, then create a block of stabilizors floating a few hundred meters behind:?

*Fantastic design Devs*!!

Reaction score
    Don't get frustrated, because unless you have some insider knowledge, you actually don't know how the devs intend them to work. It may very well be they're just toying with one system, and a few values have snuck in that aren't relevant at all to them, but cause you to perceive everything else as broken.
    If you find that frustrating, then it might be better to stick with the stable or pre releases.
    I'd do that, but then I don't get to tinker with the new systems and actually learn how to use them effectively until they come out. And I'd grow bored buiding just shells and other stuff that's not affected by the changes, while worrying about them not being suitable for use in the new system.

420 m :eek:////.....................
    I'm dead
    May I ask how many reactor/stabilizor blocks that was:? 1 mill BETTER be a lot of power...
    As if my computer struggled enough with my 300m long ships :,(
    I guess we are just ment to build the ship, then create a block of stabilizors floating a few hundred meters behind:?

*Fantastic design Devs*!!
    1mill e/s power comes out to 10k reactor/stabilizer blocks each(1:1 ratio), if you want full efficiency (meaning 100% stable reactor with 100% effectiveness on stabilizers). Depending how you setup your stabilizers, it may end up being even larger than that (the 420m figure is in astraight line), so if you put like 5k stabilizers in one end of the ship and 5k in the other, with the reactor in the middle, you may end up with a ship that's a minimum of 840m long.

You may change this by building stabilizers out in more then one axis (as in diagonal off-axis from the location of the reactor), because doing this reduces the distance needed, or you can put stabilizers closer on the reactor's axis, and use more of them to counter the effects of the reduced Stabilizer efficiency.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    tinker with the new systems and actually learn how to use them effectively until they come out
    You can of course tinker with the new systems, but don't expect to learn how to use them effectively until they come out, until they have come out. Don't even expect to carry over the designs you build in one of the dev builds to carry over to the next dev build, and much less so to an actual release.

You may waste more time "designing" for the moving target that is the dev builds, than you would if you were designing empty shells in the stable release. If it's the systems you want to toy with, that's fine, but again - don't expect one dev build to work like the previous, or next, or even at all, and most of all, don't let it frustrate you.

Sometimes it helps to take a break, skip a few dev builds, and see how it's doing then; maybe go back a few builds if you don't like what you see. You might even get surprised with a new release that is not labelled 'dev' ;)

Reaction score
    You can of course tinker with the new systems, but don't expect to learn how to use them effectively until they come out, until they have come out. Don't even expect to carry over the designs you build in one of the dev builds to carry over to the next dev build, and much less so to an actual release.

You may waste more time "designing" for the moving target that is the dev builds, than you would if you were designing empty shells in the stable release. If it's the systems you want to toy with, that's fine, but again - don't expect one dev build to work like the previous, or next, or even at all, and most of all, don't let it frustrate you.

Sometimes it helps to take a break, skip a few dev builds, and see how it's doing then; maybe go back a few builds if you don't like what you see. You might even get surprised with a new release that is not labelled 'dev' ;)
    I don't expect them to carry over at all, that's why I build just quick test builds that are easier to tinker with when stuff changes. I don't spawn my actual ships in the dev builds at all, just because the quick testers are easier to modify and play with in the dev builds.

Also, tinkering with the new systems in the dev builds can at least give me some insight and experience on working with the systems in the future, no matter what changes and what data we have to work with when it's "ready". That way I can at least familiarize myself with the concepts and thinking behind the systems, and feel more at ease with them when they do come out. This means that I don't have to go in completely "cold turkey" and find myself as confused and frustrated, when I actually have to start utilizing the new systems in actual builds.

I know that I'm spending far too much time on this, but I'm worried that if I do take a break, I'll miss something that could be useful in the future, and then end up frustrated because of that. I have a somewhat perfectionist streak, but I'm also quite slow when learning new things, so I'd rather work hard and take time to learn how to do it properly, than to just futz through it and fail at it.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Honestly I think the devs F'd up the new power system far more than they'll ever admit. I always assumed salvagers were set low enough to make it so we could make large arrays on less power than the main weapons.

Top 4ce

Force or Ace?
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Honestly I think the devs F'd up the new power system far more than they'll ever admit. I always assumed salvagers were set low enough to make it so we could make large arrays on less power than the main weapons.
    That's an assumption. Miners were always over powered, considering that the economy has been broken for so long. The salvagers now seem inline with the rest of the weapons, making resource harvesting a more time consuming affair where you have to create logistics.

Might be to make fleet mining more reasonable in the future.

But judging the whole power system on how effective salvagers work is too limiting in scope.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    That's an assumption. Miners were always over powered, considering that the economy has been broken for so long. The salvagers now seem inline with the rest of the weapons, making resource harvesting a more time consuming affair where you have to create logistics.

Might be to make fleet mining more reasonable in the future.

But judging the whole power system on how effective salvagers work is too limiting in scope.
    Uhm, sure, I guess, but making resource harvesting "a more time consuming affair" just makes more people want to quit the game. If they make unloaded fleet mining or passive resource generation a thing, manual mining as a "Tier 1" can become grindier, but right now it's all we've got, so unless they want their playerbase to drop below a reasonable testing base size (it already has, but that's partially due to people waiting for the update) it'd be wise not to nerf mining even further until other alternatives are implemented.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    I won't care too much about the change as long as they FIX FLEET MINING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I will be including a spread sheet explaining what distance for amount of stabilizers and how big of chambers is required. I will also be doing some tests on larger ships too, up to 10,000,000 power generated. If my computer can handle it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Do logic controled boards still work (if the issue is increased cost per output)?
    I don't enjoy mining. In fact I really doubt anyone enjoys mining at all.
    You just jump to random systems, check nav till you find the resources you want, fly to it and click a few buttons before moving onto the next one.

I personaly found mining and crafting more exciting when we had random recipies imo XD There was something extremly satisfying about setting up a giant factory with 40 different recipies that would produce every block type indefinatly :3 (broken though).

At the very least being able to setup mining stations that either passivly or use automatic AI fleets to auto mine their and neighbouring sectors would make resource generation more intersting.
    The mining mechanics are just boring and un-interstin after the first 5 minutes :/

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    e'd all like our ships to be:
    1. producing heaps of power
    2. and low mass
    3. and no larger than we want them to be.

It's a design triangle, you've probably seen examples in real life: pick two, because you can't have all three.
    I really, really like that we have to make tough compromises like this in design (just like real life design).
    That was enough to do the job, One smaller reactor for just cruising and scanners, one smaller reactor for Jump, and one larger one to handle combat maneuvering and weapon/shield draw under fire. That's what it took to power what was in it from before the power update builds. this thing doesnt have a crapton of weapons, mostly popgun turrets, with one real beam system. How are we to make a ship without turning it into a space needle at the current values? Just to power the crap vessel, i'd probably have to bump it up to close to 500M from @250.

I understand it's a dev build, but I don't like that one, and am saying so. That particular build massively under-performs the current release.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I will be including a spread sheet explaining what distance for amount of stabilizers and how big of chambers is required. I will also be doing some tests on larger ships too, up to 10,000,000 power generated. If my computer can handle it.
    Which dev build will you do it for? Keep in mind the values may change again tomorrow.
    [doublepost=1509673796,1509673733][/doublepost]
    Depending how you setup your stabilizers, it may end up being even larger than that (the 420m figure is in astraight line), so if you put like 5k stabilizers in one end of the ship and 5k in the other, with the reactor in the middle, you may end up with a ship that's a minimum of 840m long.

You may change this by building stabilizers out in more then one axis (as in diagonal off-axis from the location of the reactor), because doing this reduces the distance needed, or you can put stabilizers closer on the reactor's axis, and use more of them to counter the effects of the reduced Stabilizer efficiency.
    Yes, the minimum length you could have is 1m: all reactor blocks on an x-y plane, and all stabilisers on the same plane.
    Obviously no-one will do that something that extreme, but what is possible is any length from 1 up to 840m (or beyond).

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Which dev build will you do it for? Keep in mind the values may change again tomorrow.
    I hope so XD 500M for a 10k block reactor seems insane, unless reactor power is 10 times more effcient.
    A 500m ship is easily a mill+ blocks, I doubt only 1% of it's mass should be in it's reactor -_-

I'm fine with the concept of larger ship = larger possible reactor, but this seems way to off to be useable.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    I hope so XD 500M for a 10k block reactor seems insane, unless reactor power is 10 times more effcient.
    A 500m ship is easily a mill+ blocks, I doubt only 1% of it's mass should be in it's reactor -_-

I'm fine with the concept of larger ship = larger possible reactor, but this seems way to off to be useable.
    That's a good point about the reactor as a percentage of ship mass. I think it should be pretty large too.

I think we need to remember also that, based on what we saw in power 1.0, the devs don't seem to be fans of allowing massive power generation in a ship (at least not without some serious drawbacks).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I think we need to remember also that, based on what we saw in power 1.0, the devs don't seem to be fans of allowing massive power generation in a ship (at least not without some serious drawbacks).
    Well, I think they're over doing it, cause I can't power a crap ship with what we have currently. I think maybe they should go the other way and have a max distance that stabilizers can be from the reactor, just makes more sense to me. Or eliminate the space requirements. I don't like ship shape being dictated to me, and it really favors long ships. Coming to the idea that if I have to make all my ships long and drawn out to be viable, maybe we should skip the power update and try something else.

Reaction score
    Well, I think they're over doing it, cause I can't power a crap ship with what we have currently.
    More accurate to say you can't meet your own expectations for what a ship will look like? You can always add more power...

I think maybe they should go the other way and have a max distance that stabilizers can be from the reactor, just makes more sense to me. Or eliminate the space requirements. I don't like ship shape being dictated to me, and it really favors long ships. .
    Or wide ships or tall ships or spherical ships - the separation doesn't have to be on the length axis, nor just a single axis.

Coming to the idea that if I have to make all my ships long and drawn out to be viable, maybe we should skip the power update and try something else
    I think maybe the parameter values in the recent dev build (may not be the case anymore) were a bit extreme, but I think the concept is excellent.
    They're created the design triangle I mentioned before, which makes design much more interesting. Choose any two of: powerful. light, small.
    I really love that, and IMHO I think the devs deserve kudos for coming up with a viable mechanic to achieve it.

I'd just like to see the minimum stabiliser effect changed to be greater than zero.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Choose any two of: powerful. light, small.
    I really love that, and IMHO I think the devs deserve kudos for coming up with a viable mechanic to achieve it.

I'd just like to see the minimum stabiliser effect changed to be greater than zero.
    I've found myself slowly coming around to their idea.
    However, as you've said the drop off in effciencey needs some looking at.
    What I think would help a lot of players would be a chart with the effciencey drop off, e.g for an (x) sized reactor, how many stabilizors are needed for various ship lengths for the same sized reactor.

e.g I can reduce my ships length by 10%, but to do so I'll need to fit in 10% more stabilizor blocks. (for example replacing some shields with stabilizors, allowing offense/defense trade offs as well)
    Or, since players like to look at things postivily, for a 10% longer ship I need 10% less stabilizors>

Essientialy meaning the smaller you make the ship, the higher the % of your ship the reactor will take up.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    As I said. Make reactor and stabilizer connected by conduit (disconnecting will leads to lose stabilizing effect). Add HUGE weight to the stabilizer and reactor blocks (to add some really bad turning abilities if you build loooooooong ship with two really heavy ends), and make stabilizers benefits from 3D shape, preferably made by smaller groups, connected with conduits to be three dimensional object (benefits from maximum X,Y and Z values)... or be DOOMed by deadly needles :)

Reactions: Dire Venom
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    [doublepost=1509673796,1509673733][/doublepost]
    Yes, the minimum length you could have is 1m: all reactor blocks on an x-y plane, and all stabilisers on the same plane.
    Obviously no-one will do that something that extreme, but what is possible is any length from 1 up to 840m (or beyond).
    I will be posting the current DEV build when charts are done.