New Power DEV Thread

Reaction score
    You think shielding spaghetti is just as easy with localised shielding? Seeing as the bubbles aren't based on group dimensions that's not possible.

Of course you can cover your spaghetti with shields, but you'll have one of three problems: either the sheilding will be weak due to small group sizes, or you'll have to build lumps/dense groups in your spaghetti, or you'll have to leave some parts unshielded.

Don't just run in with a picture and say "wrong". Think about things first.

Reaction score
    The 'area-placement' rule for the new shields is a similar mechanic to ideas about 'heat', conduits, ect already raised.
    In addition to other positives, this kind of solution is good because it is not too arbitrary nor specifically limiting.
    Consequently, 'area placement rules' are a great move towards turning 'exploity' Spaghetti-monsters in legitimate Googly-eyed-tentacle-ships.
    [doublepost=1509024188,1509024012][/doublepost][still don't see much to stop 'free floating turrets', btw]

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    You think shielding spaghetti is just as easy with localised shielding? Seeing as the bubbles aren't based on group dimensions that's not possible.

Of course you can cover your spaghetti with shields, but you'll have one of three problems: either the sheilding will be weak due to small group sizes, or you'll have to build lumps/dense groups in your spaghetti, or you'll have to leave some parts unshielded.

Don't just run in with a picture and say "wrong". Think about things first.
    The whole point of spaghetti is that the damage taken is minimal anyway. If your tiny bit of local shielding - for convenience and stopping missiles if nothing else - drops, it's not the end of the world. Especially now that SHP is being replaced with reactor HP.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Mmmmm i wonder what would happen to those spaghetti ships if the option of having breaking in half of the ships was implemented as "standard" and not prone to breaking the servers...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Mmmmm i wonder what would happen to those spaghetti ships if the option of having breaking in half of the ships was implemented as "standard" and not prone to breaking the servers...
    Avorion is remarkably well optimised for an indie game. Ships can be built of anything from ten to several thousand scalable blocks at any size. It features parts breaking off ships and ships breaking in half. Every big fight is a lag fest because of this. And yet, it's not like spaghetti ships are incredibly much less viable than other ships: there's still the issue of actually hitting them in the first place. Fighting thin profile ships in Avorion is sometimes a little like pixelsniping with a four inch brush, especially if your weapons aren't particularly accurate.

I don't think it would be much different in Starmade if that's all that was done to prevent spaghetti ships. You would only be forcing the noodles to be a couple pixels wider.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    sorry havent tried the new shield system yet, but does this mean that if me shields are set in a diamond formation, the shields on my right side could be knocked out wile the shields on the front left and back are still at 100%?

Reaction score
    The whole point of spaghetti is that the damage taken is minimal anyway. If your tiny bit of local shielding - for convenience and stopping missiles if nothing else - drops, it's not the end of the world. Especially now that SHP is being replaced with reactor HP.
    The new shields are unquestionably worse for spaghetti than old shields: it's not possible to maintain the same spaghetti structure, and the same level of shielding, and the same shield coverage - something must give, by definition.

The only question is how significant this is. If existing spaghetti was built without shields it's of no significance at all, but if existing spaghetti was built with shields then it's at least of some significance.
    [doublepost=1509052037,1509051781][/doublepost]
    sorry havent tried the new shield system yet, but does this mean that if me shields are set in a diamond formation, the shields on my right side could be knocked out wile the shields on the front left and back are still at 100%?
    If they're separate groups, yes.

Reactions: Dire Venom
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Starmade DEV 134

StarMade stardate 200.134

I started everything from scratch, new Universe, a fresh start. I built my starter ship for mining, I tried to get lots of salvage modules from the shop but only had 70 to sell. So I have to find another way. I came across a decayed derelict station. So I placed my refinery and basic factory, station still has existing old power, so making more salvage modules was easy.
    I was eating up some asteroids and decided to set up a temporary refinery on one. I placed some new power and stabilizers. Still not enough power, I placed 25 power and I managed to get basic factory to make 1 item, it seems off, before I was able to throw 1 power down and it worked. I’ll have to get a buildblock and faction module to see if I can get this to work. I’ll try some factory chambers too to see if that will cool down the power consumption. I also started up a station, same results as an asteroid, further testing is required.
    A basic factory requires 500 power to work, it shouldn’t take 25 new power to work. When I setup a refinery, it requires 500 power as well, therefore you may get them both working together using 50 of new power blocks, and don’t forget the enhancers, better yet, stick with a decayed derelict station that is using old power for now until this is sorted.

Reaction score
    I was eating up some asteroids and decided to set up a temporary refinery on one. I placed some new power and stabilizers. Still not enough power, I placed 25 power and I managed to get basic factory to make 1 item, it seems off, before I was able to throw 1 power down and it worked. I’ll have to get a buildblock and faction module to see if I can get this to work. I’ll try some factory chambers too to see if that will cool down the power consumption. I also started up a station, same results as an asteroid, further testing is required.
    A basic factory requires 500 power to work, it shouldn’t take 25 new power to work. When I setup a refinery, it requires 500 power as well, therefore you may get them both working together using 50 of new power blocks, and don’t forget the enhancers, better yet, stick with a decayed derelict station that is using old power for now until this is sorted.
    I have a station with way more New Power reactors (approximately 3k reactor blocks and an equivalent amount of stabilizers, meaning I have about 300k regen on that station alone), and using any factories is still slow as molasses. The factories enter a waiting pattern until power peaks up to 500, perform their functions (manufactures a block/proceses ores & shards), and the cycle starts again from start.

I've been alternating between a cap refinery and a basic factory, making grey hull blocks. I can't run them at the same time, because the cap refinery has a faster tick rate than any other factory and therefore it will always have priority on power consumption, leaving no power for the other factories to use.

The reason for this beehavior is that factories have not been adjusted for use with the new power system yet. This means that they use way more power than they actually should under the new power, and therefore have to wait for the power system to accumulate enough power to run them. The devs are aware of this problem and working on it, so I'm sure it will be fixed in an upcoming dev build.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Rebuilt a fighter with new power system. Found it fairly easy to use after a couple false starts, and had a little trouble with the shield system, but was easily resolved when I stopped being an idiot. Got more power out of it for all systems than with the old, exception being the (built in) jump drive. Left me a lot more room for shield systems than previously without taking away from what the fighter could already do. Kinda like this.

Need to try rebuilding a larger ship to see how this affects something bigger, but can definitely get more out of a fightercraft than with the old system.

Edit: Love the new censorship, replaced what I called myself with pizza. Thanks Starmade, now I'm hungry, lol.

Oh, forgot to mention, Inner Ship remotes seem to be broken now too.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Edit: Love the new censorship, replaced what I called myself with pizza. Thanks Starmade, now I'm hungry, lol.
    Theres new censorship :D? I've got to try this out.
    I'm a idiot

Edit: Oh lol it only censors idio.t, the rest of the vocabularys still there.

Reactions: Zekester81
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Theres new censorship :D? I've got to try this out.
    I'm a pizza

Edit: Oh lol it only censors idio.t, the rest of the vocabularys still there.
    Not going to lie, I had pizza for supper because of that.

Also weapon convergence and missile fire direction is FUBARed too. Orientation preview is scrambled in the build menu as well.

Did a larger fighter, you can put way more power into the weapons now, and have massive amounts of shielding on a very small craft with this. Still working on the larger vessel.

Edit 2: Ok, so I've been reworking a larger vessel to fit the new power system, its definitely harder to rework a pre-built ship than I think it would be to just start over. Seems like what people are saying about building the power and chambers first would be the way to go, but is counter intuitive for me as I generally build a hull first. Definitely need to play with the chambers more cause I'm having some issues getting what I want. Could be that what I'm trying to do is bugged or is just not fully implemented, or maybe I just need a tutorial.

This definitely works better with a smaller ship, even a pre-built one. 40-70m fighter/bomber was easy, 270m destroyer is being difficult. I can't imagine what I'll have to go through to refit my 810m carrier. Hell, it might be easier as it has a lot of open space in it currently and the length to have some much bigger reactors.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Dire Venom
    Reaction score
    Changelog: StarMade DEV build 0.200.137

- Factory Systems have been adjusted for New Power. Cap Refinery now pulls 40 power, while other factories pull 80 power. Also did successful small scale testing with Factory enhancers.

Reaction score
    Feel free to prove me wrong. I'm all in favour of facts, no matter where they come from.

Show a *long* shield spaghetti strand that is fully covered, and has the same level of shielding that the same number of shields can achieve in a non-spaghetti strand formation.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    My shields are not working at all. They're not getting power...
    Also all previously loaded ships i had lost their turrets, elevators, rail doors etc.

So far i managed to put 3 chambers on my fighter wich is 20x20x15 roughly. Got 3.5k power on it full strenght (6) on stealth and anti lock-on at level 3. Plus power shield (whatever that is)...

But my 26k shield and 1.5k regen do not work they don't seem to get any power.

2.5 mass/thrust ratio 226 max speed and still plenty of space inside my fighter... With a pretty large cockpit full RP also...

Reaction score
    Feel free to prove me wrong. I'm all in favour of facts, no matter where they come from.

Show a *long* shield spaghetti strand that is fully covered, and has the same level of shielding that the same number of shields can achieve in a non-spaghetti strand formation.

impossible is a strong word for something thats been around for approx 10 seconds, and people acting like they know everything when they havent really done much research just helps spread ignorance and misinformation. i dont need to prove anything to recommend you not sound like a 16th century catholic.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    My shields are not working at all. They're not getting power...
    Also all previously loaded ships i had lost their turrets, elevators, rail doors etc.
    I'll have to check the shield power thing, didn't notice. As for the missing docked entities, load from a blueprint. I did that and all mine came back, even though the turrets and docked ships are still on the old power system.

Edit: Ok, I loaded up some custom weak pirates, they damaged my ship with weapons that shouldn't have been able to get through the shields, so i don't think they are being powered. Also noticed that the chambers are no longer showing the reboot times after switching reactors for me. Weapons convergence is still borked, and missiles still do not fire in the appropriate direction but instead only in the direction that the crosshairs are facing regardless of block/cpu orientation.

Last edited: