New Power DEV Thread

Reaction score
    edit: bad idea of me to post in such topic again. everything is allready said on and off about power

Last edited:
    Reactions: Ghent96
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I just don't wanna build those damn docked reactors (like in turrets or as base for several turrets) and power grid mazes again. ^^
    You NEVER had to build a power maze. People CHOSE to do it. LINE reactors were just as good. It needed tweaking & soft caps, not an overhaul with this horrid stabilizer crap.

Reactions: GnomeKing

MeRobo

Scrub
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    If I can simply dock a turret with its own reactor, I don't have to worry about power on a station at all.
    Last I checked factories do in fact need power. So do Warpgates. And maybe you want shields on your station.
    On ships I don't like it, because I have to meticulously build docked power, or I have a disadvantage in pvp.
    I asume this is still refering to self powered turrets, as docked reactors, as mentioned earlier, are no longer a thing. Also I see nothing wrong with having to put some thought into a design to be competitive with a design in which it's creator put some thought.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I see a problem with the docked reactors which basically got replaced with Aux, but those are no longer a thing.
    Self-powered turrets are effectively those docked reactors, for turrets.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I don't see anything inherently wrong with self powered turrets.
    I do. Why should we allow a ship's weapons to be completely self sufficient just because they're docked instead of built in?

Turrets should be treated as an extension of the main ship, not as a drone glued onto the side of it.

Reactions: Top 4ce and JinM
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Practicaly speaking, there's no advantedge to having your reactor in the center of your ship (the way I see it). You'll just always put your reactor at the back and the stabilizors in the front or off in a floating box if your worried about them getting hit. You'd have to muck up pretty bad for the back of your ship to be taking the brunt of the damage anyway imo, and even then most decent-powered shots will tear straight through your ship anyway.

Ship combat just simply hasn't been fun for me beyound what I can imagine it being like in my head :/ You cannot protect components, and I find it very difficult to be engaged in the combat when the whole server is flipping out while turrets and docked entities are throwen all about the place.

For the reactor update to be exciting to me, it would need to either replace or significantly develop the recharge mechanics. Having a 1 reactor limit... I would much rather see multiple reactors implimented with various benifits/cons. It doesn't encourage any new options for me, or change the game in any meaningful way for me.
    [doublepost=1510113759,1510113466][/doublepost]
    I do. Why should we allow a ship's weapons to be completely self sufficient just because they're docked instead of built in?

Turrets should be treated as an extension of the main ship, not as a drone glued onto the side of it.
    Probably because it makes a lot more sense for turrets that are floating out in space while magicaly moving with the ship :P Unless power can be transmitted wirelessly :?
    All in all I don't see much difference either way, either the turret gets blown off and continues lagging the server, or the turret gets blown off and continues lagging the server.

I do agree though that turrets are best considered part of the ship rather than a stuck on drone.

Reactions: Ghent96
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    DEV 157 Fails to start the game. Launched the launcher, hit start, computer works for 3 seconds and ends. Checked task manager, never loaded up. Its a dud

Also tried rebooting, same, I updated Java too and tried the game, and nothing. Now trying to switch back to 156.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    DEV 157 Fails to start the game. Launched the launcher, hit start, computer works for 3 seconds and ends. Checked task manager, never loaded up. Its a dud

Also tried rebooting, same, I updated Java too and tried the game, and nothing. Now trying to switch back to 156.
    As Platão once said, thou shall not 157.

It's the devs fault for breaking it, might be useful sending them a bug report.

Reaction score
    I just don't wanna build those damn docked reactors (like in turrets or as base for several turrets) and power grid mazes again. ^^
    I liked chaining reactors in a hierarchy and then attaching systems to different levels ;)
    [doublepost=1510130051,1510129797][/doublepost]
    Jojomo *facepalm* ....you DONT get it... This is not the "depth" we need or want.
    Safer to speak for yourself, because you don't speak for all of us.
    This isn't the depth YOU want.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I liked chaining reactors in a hierarchy and then attaching systems to different levels ;)
    [doublepost=1510130051,1510129797][/doublepost]
    Safer to speak for yourself, because you don't speak for all of us.
    This isn't the depth YOU want.
    I must admit, even if it was kinda broken I also loved building docked chains all routing power where I wanted them :3 It feel complex and statsfying to do. I was working within the mechanics provided to the best of my abilities to make an effective ship with lots of parts working together.
    I loved internaly shielding components to protect against penertrating damage, as well as creating logic driven reactors and fitting them into my ships for a power boost (like a battery pack).

All the fun I can see with the new power update is spending 20 minutes trying to decide where to allocate my Chamber Points o_O
    It doesnt seem to have anything beyound that.

Reaction score
    I really enjoyed building docked-reactor and multi-core contraptions aswell - but they lagged like fuck when broken, and could be cheaty as hell if militarized!!!
    >expend your engineering energies on [insert idea here] instead :)

as Dire Venom says, and others elsewhere, turrets as 'docked drones' are not good for the game in various ways.

I particularly am beginning to hate 'Floaters' > free floating turrets not attached to the main hull. These are too easy to make uber-powerful with virtually no drawbacks (except perhaps ugliness)

[that all said, fights on servers with more than 2 ships are still jerky and laggy > quickly becoming more an exercise in mental endurance than engaging combat...i am beginning to feel that no matter the build mechanics, this will never really improve > meaning players should look elsewhere for a more engaging game of combat. In fact that might not be a space game, as all space-sims have to deal with 'eggs-with-hammers' syndrome for example. Personally MWLL fills virtually all my needs for competitive, complex, and varied 'FPS-machine-based-futuristic' combat (and has done for many years, with a friendly community, events, and active Dev team). It is still ,sadly, more fun (imho) to build and test the Starmade fighter, than to actually use it in any kind of decent space battle ... :/ ]

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I love more the latter than the former.(it also makes more sense in my mind)
    I think the universe needs more missiles.
    And more drones.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    It is still ,sadly, more fun (imho) to build and test the Starmade fighter, than to actually use it in any kind of decent space battle ... :/ ]

For design I think the new power and shields systems look like they have amazing potential, I'm glad they're happening, and I'm actually looking forward to revamps of other systems...

For actual play, similar to something Ithirahad said earlier, I think a fully functioning economy is what will bring the game to life, and drive player behaviour, and create goals and long term activity in game.

I'm starting to feel like this thread is drifting OT a bit...

Last edited:
    Reactions: Dire Venom
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Considering the state of starmades AI .........

Either the AI will fly off into stars or will lag your server to death by humping your titan untill turrets fall off -_- Mkes a lot of sense to me too!
    [doublepost=1510140872,1510140622][/doublepost]
    I think the universe needs more missiles.
    And more drones.

Reactions: JinM
    Reaction score
    Apparently, the most recent dev builds (.157 and .158) were killed by devs changing fonts in the build, which caused an exception while starting the game, and resulted in the game not starting at all. Problem has been reported and is being worked on.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Apparently, the most recent dev builds (.157 and .158) were killed by devs changing fonts in the build, which caused an exception while starting the game, and resulted in the game not starting at all. Problem has been reported and is being worked on.
    Dammit devs, the font is the most crucial part! Great care and thougth must be put into chosing the right font..... make a wrong choice and you will melt the entire code!

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Dammit devs, the font is the most crucial part! Great care and thougth must be put into chosing the right font..... make a wrong choice and you will melt the entire code!
    The font should still be the same (Monda) although its size might be larger or smaller than before.
    The fix should already be uploaded by now.

EDIT: Apparently the fix isn't uploaded yet, apologies.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Self-powered turrets are effectively those docked reactors, for turrets.
    except docked supplies and self powered turrets are totally different things. docked supplies are bad because they cause shit tons of extra entity spam and break the game when they undock internally. self powered turrets are... still turrets. with the same entity count. you may dislike them because they multiply dps better than base power does, but thats a different issue entirely than docked supplies being cancer.

I particularly am beginning to hate 'Floaters' > free floating turrets not attached to the main hull. These are too easy to make uber-powerful with virtually no drawbacks (except perhaps ugliness)
    how are floating turrets more powerful than ones attached to a hull point? it doesnt add any extra power to them, and doesnt make them invincible.

[that all said, fights on servers with more than 2 ships are still jerky and laggy > quickly becoming more an exercise in mental endurance than engaging combat...i am beginning to feel that no matter the build mechanics, this will never really improve > meaning players should look elsewhere for a more engaging game of combat.
    nah ill keep shooting the guns i build in starmade. ill also play other games, cause i can do both.
    [doublepost=1510163760,1510163626][/doublepost]
    What's with those missiles? I've heard of missiles missing things a lot, and for that matter dealt with it myself, but what were they trying to target?
    missile tracking is broke as fuck since several updates ago. theyre not really trying to hit anything. just kidding, therse a small bit of something leftover there right in the middle that theyre aiming for, but its a pointless waste.

but yeah they literally go out of their way to miss smaller stuff because they cant reconcile where they are and where it is and how theyre supposed to get there, if everyones moving.