New Power DEV Thread

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    except docked supplies and self powered turrets are totally different things. docked supplies are bad because they cause shit tons of extra entity spam and break the game when they undock internally. self powered turrets are... still turrets. with the same entity count. you may dislike them because they multiply dps better than base power does, but thats a different issue entirely than docked supplies being cancer.
    I dislike all of the above, fundamentally, because they all increase the effective available power without aux and basically throw the balance out of config control.

how are floating turrets more powerful than ones attached to a hull point? it doesnt add any extra power to them, and doesnt make them invincible.
    They aren't any more powerful. :P

He was probably thinking of how they will generally have less space restrictions, but IDK. Even that isn't strictly true...

Reactions: Dire Venom
    Reaction score
    I dislike all of the above, fundamentally, because they all increase the effective available power without aux and basically throw the balance out of config control.

They aren't any more powerful. :P

He was probably thinking of how they will generally have less space restrictions, but IDK. Even that isn't strictly true...

hmm my qoute got fucked up. sorry

I particularly am beginning to hate 'Floaters' > free floating turrets not attached to the main hull. These are too easy to make uber-powerful with virtually no drawbacks (except perhaps ugliness)
    [doublepost=1510164316,1510164183][/doublepost]
    while im not defending power multiplying for balance, ill point out that self powered turrets have been around since rails... wayyy before aux existed, and before most people were even using docked supplies. they only recently become the subject of peoples crying... around the time vaygr switched from intruders to turretboats like centipedes and despoilers.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    while im not defending power multiplying for balance, ill point out that self powered turrets have been around since rails... wayyy before aux existed, and before most people were even using docked supplies. they only recently become the subject of peoples crying... around the time vaygr switched from intruders to turretboats like centipedes and despoilers.
    I disliked them even back then, personally. It's always been my belief that a turret is, and should be, nothing more than a pivoting extension of the main ship specifically for the purpose of mounting weaponry (or salvage gear, if they ever get around to making that work properly).

Reactions: Lecic and kulbolen
    Reaction score
    Do you prefer simple or complicated? I can't tell.
    I like fun. I've enjoyed simple and complicated systems in MANY different games. What I care about is if the system works. Can I make any ship I want? Is is subject to fair and dynamic rules? Do I feel like I am gaining anything from careful well though out design?

I'm not even going to answer those questions now. We'll see when this update hits an official release. Maybe then I will have a better response. It's clear that everyone has a different answer to those questions. That by itself should show that it is not totally on track. Most are not arguing about tweaking numbers, it is the principles of the system that seem to be the hot topic.

MeRobo

Scrub
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Turrets should be treated as an extension of the main ship, not as a drone glued onto the side of it.
    Having put some further thought into this, I agree with you on this.

However, I myself think they are notably different from docked reactors.

Reaction score
    Anyone having texture propblems in dev .161?

Some texture filter might be out of whack, due to all blocks losing surface texture while close by (replaced by a simple flat grey color). When viewed from a distance, everything looks normal, but up close, everything turns grey.

EDIT: Seems to be a lighting engine bug, noticed this while tweaking graphics options. Activating simple lighting fixes things, and makes the textures visible again up close.

Last edited:

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Anyone having texture propblems in dev .161?

Some texture filter might be out of whack, due to all blocks losing surface texture while close by (replaced by a simple flat grey color). When viewed from a distance, everything looks normal, but up close, everything turns grey.

EDIT: Seems to be a lighting engine bug, noticed this while tweaking graphics options. Activating simple lighting fixes things, and makes the textures visible again up close.
    We're currently working on fixing a few things for our normal mapping. The grey effect is an option in the lighting shader to help us troubleshoot it.

More than likely be reverted in the next build.
    [doublepost=1510176495,1510176264][/doublepost]
    Not working for me, still getting this Error:

View attachment 46042
    ah, this might be worth reporting on Phabricator. Here is a guide for that.
    It would be helpful if you could attach your most recent log file to a post and tag me in it so we can check it out in detail. This looks like it could be relevant to what we've been working on.
    Logs can be found in the Log folder, within your Starmade installation directory.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Very happy, thrusters inherited from docks actually glow when accelerating with the main entity.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Very happy, thrusters inherited from docks actually glow when accelerating with the main entity.
    YUUUUUUSSSSS!!!
    Now on to see if I can making spining thruster rings :3
    Also, any idea if we can change the colour of the thruster glow:? That would be a must have :3

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    YUUUUUUSSSSS!!!
    Now on to see if I can making spining thruster rings :3
    Also, any idea if we can change the colour of the thruster glow:? That would be a must have :3
    Link the ship core to a light source. The thrusters' plumes become the colour of that light source.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Is it normal that in .200.164 we can have a 300m stealth cruiser? With zero power consumption? Able to shoot without decloaking?

Isn't it too much?

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Ok, so that'd be fixed... Phew... I've imagined a full-scale cloaked assault on my little lovely base, and that gave me shivers...

One extra detail, though. The ship was using logic-fired missile launcher, not player-operated weapon. Maybe that would help a bit with fixing the bug. I could send a blueprint if you need.

On the screenshot the missile appears from nowhere. The shooting device is cloaked and can be seen only via scanners. The second screen features the device itself.

Attachments

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I do. Why should we allow a ship's weapons to be completely self sufficient just because they're docked instead of built in?

Turrets should be treated as an extension of the main ship, not as a drone glued onto the side of it.
    The only problem is when we players don't have a choice. We should be able to do either method - dependent turrets and self-sufficient turrets, with all the appropriate balance and trade-off that come with those choices.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    The only problem is when we players don't have a choice. We should be able to do either method - dependent turrets and self-sufficient turrets, with all the appropriate balance and trade-off that come with those choices.
    There is no big trade-off with self-sufficient turrets, though. Generating power on your turret doesn't require too many blocks, too much mass, or too much resources, and just makes the ship's effective power output far higher than intended, in a way that's completely uncontrollable by "balance" (i.e. configs).

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    So currenly if you have a ship with a reactor docked to another ship it's reactor wont work until its undocked again:?

Reaction score
    Finally trying out the new power system, and i realize i'm late to the discussion but is anybody else having trouble making reasonably shaped ships? I'm not getting enough power out of the reactor for the size ship i want, but bumping up the size means stretching longer to accommodate stabilizers, which then gives me tons of extra room, which leads to me overexerting my reactor again by putting in more shields or something.

Even if i fill the space with cargo or something, i'm ending up with an extremely long stick of a ship.

Can capacitors be a thing again? I'm fine with outpacing my ship's regen, but my capacity is so low that making a small miner just isn't working out unless i want to crawl through each asteroid. Might help if i had enough energy storage to catch excess in between asteroids?

ALSO! I don't have textures for a lot of the new power stuff, and my options don't save from one run to the next (though i think the latter is most likely a linux bug rather than a power update bug). I'm running dev build 0.200.167

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Finally trying out the new power system, and i realize i'm late to the discussion but is anybody else having trouble making reasonably shaped ships? I'm not getting enough power out of the reactor for the size ship i want, but bumping up the size means stretching longer to accommodate stabilizers, which then gives me tons of extra room, which leads to me overexerting my reactor again by putting in more shields or something.

Even if i fill the space with cargo or something, i'm ending up with an extremely long stick of a ship.

Can capacitors be a thing again? I'm fine with outpacing my ship's regen, but my capacity is so low that making a small miner just isn't working out unless i want to crawl through each asteroid. Might help if i had enough energy storage to catch excess in between asteroids?
    Welcome to the club ^_^!
    From what I understand, you are supposed to place stabilizors in in-effcient locations and place more of them to keep your ships overall dimensions down. It sounds fine in theory, but can be a bit icky when you try to build with it :/

Removing capacitators for a half-baked recharge mechanic was a step in the wrong direction (imo), at the very least incroperating auxillaries back in could be a thing. Instead of balancing regen, power and what you want for your other systems you are now stuck with... just the regen you have on you at that moment? Weapons can store "power", but blocks can't? Eh?

None of it really excites me to get building or try out new designs at all :/

Also, salvage beams mine rate has been increased by 5x, and the power consupmtion increased alongside, thus you will need less salvage blocks and a bit more power to mine these days) not to mention not being able to store power :/