Introducing... USD type 1 *updated*

Reaction score
    I recommended a change to the "position of the dockers relative to the door" which you just said is relevant.
    Huh? Yeah, my bad. I meant between 1a and 1b. The wedges many of us use as bulkheads in an otherwise 3x3 corridor. I thought that was all you had since all 3 sets of screenshots had the same rail placement.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Nice work. Just found this after posting my own idea. It didn't show up when I searched the titles probably because I wasn't searching for USD.
    It is better than mine in you can dock ship to ship. Great if you have to capital size ships. Probably not so great for smaller ships though where you don't want such a large protrusion.
    Otherwise nice work.
    My idea was simply have the rail and rail docker at the bottom of the door and indicate the direction of up.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I like it, but it has one fatal flaw. You cannot place logic in the typical position beside the door without making the collar deeper.
    These could become USD Type 1a and Type 1b, which are 100% compatible with each other and the UCC standard and and permit logic on the sides.
    Here are two possible configurations with logic and lighting.

If you really want a universal standard, I highly recommend making this change. This one will have fewer problems and more advantages than what you originally proposed.
    This is what I am using except I've reversed the two so the docker is on the right. My community has already agreed on that standard as well.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    That's essentially what I've been thinking of changing it to, however having that design may trigger any adjacent logic blocks upon docking.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I think just to spite everyone, I'm going to make my docks too big for this to work :3

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    If rail basic and rail docker are 3 meters apart then it is harder to hide them while looking nice, than if they were 1 meter apart. It is also makes MINIMAL USD bigger than it would be if they were 1 meter apart, meaning even very small fighter/drone craft can use my version. It also allows for plank style bridges betwen ships.

My version covers ALL of the needs that Sven_The_Slayer's and Valiant70's version covers, plus even more. It actualy covers EVERYONE's needs up to now! So I dont see a reason why you keep proposing your version.

Reactions: NeonSturm

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If rail basic and rail docker are 3 meters apart then it is harder to hide them while looking nice, than if they were 1 meter apart. It is also makes MINIMAL USD bigger than it would be if they were 1 meter apart, meaning even very small fighter/drone craft can use my version. It also allows for plank style bridges betwen ships.

My version covers ALL of the needs that Sven_The_Slayer's and Valiant70's version covers, plus even more. It actualy covers EVERYONE's needs up to now! So I dont see a reason why you keep proposing your version.
    Except that dockers should be left, because most peoples read from left to right and you first select the docker which secondly docks to a rail.

I've also made a thread with votes on the "USD 1+4" design which defines 1.4a , 1.4b , 1.4c for both even and odd numbers -- not perfectly looking, but at least no gaps.

1.4a minimal is thought for fighters.
    1.4b standard allows every direction and should be used for bottom and top docks, except the direction is not important to you.
    1.4c also docks in any direction with 1.4a, is high-grade equipment and utilizes 4 dockers.​

This thread provides a great summary on everything discussed here and also specifies "docking expanders".

A ship is no flat surface to dock at. It might have spires aside the dock, depending on design.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4

This is why I went with just below center over directly below the door.
    Fireshock may be right. There are ways to deal with the problem in this image, such as adding adding wedges below each of the dockers to make them look better sticking downward.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Fireshock may be right. There are ways to deal with the problem in this image, such as adding adding wedges below each of the dockers to make them look better sticking downward.
    Eh... I'll look into it more tomorrow. Under probably is better as it would be easier to accommodate more dock sizes. I could dock the butt of my Llama light freighter which has a 5x3 door i believe to the side of my carrier if I changed configurations.

Last edited:

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    If everyone agrees on the 3x3x3 tunnel then it's already a good start. Besides, it's really easy to re-adjust the docker blocks if they're not in the right spot for a certain dock type.

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    If everyone agrees on the 3x3x3 tunnel then it's already a good start. Besides, it's really easy to re-adjust the docker blocks if they're not in the right spot for a certain dock type.
    all stations uses 3x3x3 but have connectors to go from 3x3x3 to 5x5x5 or 7x7x7 and so on.
    Then it would not matter how the port is on the ship. or the other way around.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I announce that the Clan RATO will be refitting it's ships in order to possess a compatible system to the USD.

However, since we will be using moving hulls to hide this airlock when undocked/on service , a reasonable length will be necessary for stations. I suggest that a standard gets in place for space stations that uses the USD of a docking arm with a minimum of 10 blocks long, to make sure to accommodate all ships possible.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor

My final proposal for standardized docking ring. Rail docker on the right hand side (looking out from the ship), arrows facing each other (because it looks better IMHO), directly below the door.

Using this system I can seamlessly dock my Llama to my frigate or any other ship which has a large enough surface.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    My final proposal for standardized docking ring. Rail docker on the right hand side (looking out from the ship), arrows facing each other (because it looks better IMHO), directly below the door.

Using this system I can seamlessly dock my Llama to my frigate or any other ship which has a large enough surface.
    Well look at that, just need to turn the rails sideway, and even Sven is onboard. :P

I like the Raildocker on right rule in general. While whatever standard is decided on for USD should be easy enough to remember (especially since it's always plainly visible), it would help making turrets as well. While I doubt there will be a turret standard, it helps to have something easy to remember that one can apply across the board.

I don't care which way the arrows face (unless a certain orientation is better for technical reasons) so other people can argue over it. Are most now in agreement about the dockers going under the door?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    It does look better. Any way to "seal the deal" or officialy confirm this standard? ...if there are no other suggestions ofcourse.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Well look at that, just need to turn the rails sideway, and even Sven is onboard. :p

I like the Raildocker on right rule in general. While whatever standard is decided on for USD should be easy enough to remember (especially since it's always plainly visible), it would help making turrets as well. While I doubt there will be a turret standard, it helps to have something easy to remember that one can apply across the board.

I don't care which way the arrows face (unless a certain orientation is better for technical reasons) so other people can argue over it. Are most now in agreement about the dockers going under the door?
    Yeah as long as the arrows are both facing in or both facing out I am on board. I don't see why it's technically necessary but it is the better option aesthetically speaking. Even jam a camera in between easily enough for the full package. I have not tried facing out yet so I don't know if that looks better.

Reaction score
    It does look better. Any way to "seal the deal" or officialy confirm this standard? ...if there are no other suggestions ofcourse.
    I think as far as block placement it was down to this or 1 block above and wider as Val posted. Then of course the people who seem to have a talent for over-complicating everything will have more to add, but probably don't agree with each other or anyone else....so magic 8-ball tells me those are the 2 viable contenders.

As far as orientation that's another matter, but it seems Sven so far is the only 1 with a strong preference on that.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Looking more designs of some of my ships I'll need a docking arm at least 25 meters long for stations to get past the engines on some of them but most of my ships should be able to adopt the docking collar idea. Of course on stations it's a simple task to make extendable docking arms to accommodate more ships.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I GOT THE IDEA!
    the best USD just poped in my head!
    so take all sorts of USD verions that are used, place em on a track and make it possible to change between dock modes
    tadaaaaaa
    thats 1 problem off the universe