Introducing... USD type 1 *updated*

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    ive been flat out making my own standards in the dev build for some time now
    yeah same here, tried but abandoned it when rail dockers couldn't be used on any entity that already had the weapons tab populated. Hell, I've been more or less building a standard airlock since before rails were even announced with the intention of using landed ships as docking arms to reach into the docking box of my ships.

Reaction score
    you were the first to state your intentions in the thread. ive been flat out making my own standards in the dev build for some time now
    that was just the first time i decided to put some imput
    You do realize that you guys are arguing over bragging rights about being the first non-conformist jerk right?
    Carry on. I'll be in the area all day....

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    You do realize that you guys are arguing over bragging rights about being the first non-conformist jerk right?
    Carry on. I'll be in the area all day....
    no? It was mostly a joke for me. No need to be name calling now mate.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    While I was making my own vehicles, stations etc with their own docking ports, I must say that I like the idea of said ports being standarized. It would be quite nice if in the far future NPC stations and ships utilizing such and interacting with each other would be a part of default, vanilla package.

Reactions: Sven_The_Slayer
    Reaction score
    While I was making my own vehicles, stations etc with their own docking ports, I must say that I like the idea of said ports being standarized. It would be quite nice if in the far future NPC stations and ships utilizing such and interacting with each other would be a part of default, vanilla package.
    That's really why a standard is important. Because all the default content so far has come from the community. So if the community has a standard then the ships and stations that become default will be compatible with each other.

I, for one, approve this standard.
    I approve of your approval and raise you one approval. ;)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    That's really why a standard is important. Because all the default content so far has come from the community. So if the community has a standard then the ships and stations that become default will be compatible with each other.

I approve of your approval and raise you one approval. ;)
    ugg... compatability.. i hate it... it makes it so much easier for someone to board your ship (dun want that if they arent a faction member)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    Docking to a ship from a hostile faction is possible?
    was with rails last i checked... and even if it isnt anymore... if someone shot a hole in my ship i want it to be hell for them to attach a boarding tube to capture the ship lol

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    So here it is, updated design, video, and images.

This is it. All of the weaknesses removed and condensed to the core parts, and compatibe with the future magnetic system. Consider it adapted on my part.

EDIT: Damn, I have never seen the development of a standard end so successfully and full of agreeing acceptance all around.

Last edited:

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    I'm glad everyone's finally settled on a standard now, after so many different contenders and designs.
    Oh well, time for another round of ship updates... :P

Reactions: iceman6491

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    This also works (similar as : dock pointing toward gravity or dock centre).

The only questions now are:
    • What happens on bigger docks? 5x5, 7x7, 9x9?
    • Should there not also be a standard for even symmetry? 2x2, 4x4 ...
    • Where should the dock be placed?
    / . . \
    []---[] - It's obvious they can't dock.
    \ . . /

Last edited:

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This also works (similar as : dock pointing toward gravity or dock centre).

The only questions now are:
    • What happens on bigger docks? 5x5, 7x7, 9x9?
    • Should there not also be a standard for even symmetry? 2x2, 4x4 ...
    • Where should the dock be placed?
    / . . \
    []---[] - It's obvious they can't dock.
    \ . . /
    I hope future advancements to the rail system allow us to use extending arms from ships. Right now you can only dock TO an arm, and cannot use one to dock to something else.

Reaction score
    At least docking arms can be used on stations.
    But ship to ship docking probably will be difficult regardless, like NeoSturm showed. I for example will include USD on my shuttle docks but im afraid that my building style for bigger ships simply dose not allow for much compatibility.
    So i am probably going to mostly leave it out in that reagard.
    Ultimately i guess it comes down to what is the most important to the constructor.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    At least docking arms can be used on stations.
    But ship to ship docking probably will be difficult regardless, like NeoSturm showed. I for example will include USD on my shuttle docks but im afraid that my building style for bigger ships simply dose not allow for much compatibility.
    So i am probably going to mostly leave it out in that reagard.
    Ultimately i guess it comes down to what is the most important to the constructor.
    So you suggest that each ship should have an arm to the boundary box if it wants to support others docking to it?
    Or have a dock at the boundary box? (Limits ship building freedom)

Perhaps you can build one such a dock at your wing/nose/tip, but it's always nice if gravity remains the same direction on both structures, thus top is a bit as it requests a dock to support bottom docking at the boundary box border.