Community Build Initiative: Mobile Factory/Refinery

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    Question: Do shootout rails count towards the total length? I don’t think I will exceed it but wanted to make sure. I tend to place pickup point for rails further away from the ship to make sure AI has a better change of docking.
    Having discussed this with the two other judges, we have come to the decision that shootout rails and the related "nonphysical" rail blocks do count towards the dimension limits.

The rules in the OP will be updated to reflect this decision.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Silver
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Not a question necessarily. I released some templates a while back that would fit perfectly into an industrial theme.

TMC-IndustrialPack | StarMade Dock
    Industrial stairs pack | StarMade Dock

I noticed some activity on one of those and I wanted to point out I have no objection to people using them in there contest build if they want to. They are there to be used after all. Hopefully this stays within the bounds set by the contest.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Silver
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Here:

my submission:
    Deep Space Mobile Foundry | StarMade Dock

Please turn the computer clock on using the button on the bridge before reviewing the interior.
    Congratz on being the first contest entry. 2 quick things I noticed.

- There is a number of logic lines showing in the interior. Might want to fix that with the 3d buttons so people with logic lines turned on will not see them.
    - Your green docked ship seems to be missing its doors when I loaded this in.

You can probably keep updating until the deadline. Don't see anything in the rules to say you cant.

Reaction score
    Congratz on being the first contest entry. 2 quick things I noticed.

- There is a number of logic lines showing in the interior. Might want to fix that with the 3d buttons so people with logic lines turned on will not see them.
    - Your green docked ship seems to be missing its doors when I loaded this in.

You can probably keep updating until the deadline. Don't see anything in the rules to say you cant.
    yeah i noticed the missing doors and ramp... and turrets... missing after i uploaded. i still don't know how they disappeared... i got jacked...

thank you, i do plan to update it.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I'm uncertain whether or not a land vehicle counts as a 'ship' per say, however it is a mobile refinery/factory, plus I've been meaning to make it anyway.

If the Sandcrawler isn't applicable however, I have been thinking about doing a spacefaring refit, which I would submit as a separate entry (assuming it's completed in time)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    Butts, I took my sweet time since the deadline was "so far" and now I don't think I'm gonna make it :c

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    ^^^
    ...Which leads to an interesting question; IS there a minimum size?

I only ask since I'm not normally known for building larger craft; mainly due to limits on my spare time.

It would be cool to get in on this but I wouldn't want to submit something that was too small to even consider.

Reaction score
    Hi
    I'm working on an entry too, however work and deplacement are consuming my time like ice under the sun. So I will probably not be able to make the smaller ships that comes with the refinery.
    The question is : will they be judged too as missing or can I let empty boxes to indicate their future emplacement ?

Reactions: Jake_Lancia

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    ^^^
    ...Which leads to an interesting question; IS there a minimum size?

I only ask since I'm not normally known for building larger craft; mainly due to limits on my spare time.

It would be cool to get in on this but I wouldn't want to submit something that was too small to even consider.
    No there isn't-
    As Tshara said we did have one in the beginning but we removed it.

Hi
    I'm working on an entry too, however work and de-placement are consuming my time like ice under the sun. So I will probably not be able to make the smaller ships that comes with the refinery.
    The question is : will they be judged too as missing or can I let empty boxes to indicate their future emplacement ?
    It's only recommended to have the subordinate ship/s, you don't have to if you don't have time.
    I'd personally advice against leaving any temporary things, better to just leave the spots for the ships empty

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    There was but the rule was removed. Would actually be interesting to see what could be submitted with only 100 or even 50m ships.
    No there isn't-
    As Tshara said we did have one in the beginning but we removed it.

It's only recommended to have the subordinate ship/s, you don't have to if you don't have time.
    I'd personally advice against leaving any temporary things, better to just leave the spots for the ships empty
    Thank you both for the clarification.

I suppose it's time for me to dust off my shipyard.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Doc Industries Starcrawler

Similar to the Sandcrawler in most ways, however rebuilt for the sea of stars rather than dunes.
    Also the inclusion of auxiliary craft to better fit the prompt.

starmade-screenshot-0137.png starmade-screenshot-0115.png

• There is no limit on the amount of entries you can make; each entry will be judged on its own merits.
    Based on this, I guess I'm posting this as my second entry

Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I released some templates a while back that would fit perfectly into an industrial theme.

TMC-IndustrialPack | StarMade Dock

Hopefully this stays within the bounds set by the contest.

I intend to use Tshara's industrial template pack, but noticed that they come pasted on a ship entity.

I saved the various items as individual templates, and thought I should share the package (attached to this post). You can see in the screenshot below how well-organised they are. Should speed up the process for others.

And just to be sure, can we use a few templates of other builders in our entries (ones they released for public use)?

Untitled.png

Attachments

Last edited:

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    We have realised that several contestants in this Build Initiative are struggling to finish their entries. Due to this, we have taken the unprecedented step of relaxing the rules for this Build Initiative and allowing unfinished entries.

If your build is mostly complete please continue to submit it, we will try our best to be fair on reviewing.

Reactions: DeepspaceMechanic
    Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    We have realised that several contestants in this Build Initiative are struggling to finish their entries. Due to this, we have taken the unprecedented step of relaxing the rules for this Build Initiative and allowing unfinished entries.

If your build is mostly complete please continue to submit it, we will try our best to be fair on reviewing.

Maybe other builders would agree that even a modest postponement of the due-date (like one week) would help significantly?

Personally, I procrastinated big-time on this build, and will probably fail to finish it... thanks to too much of an obsession with detail:

starmade-screenshot-0000.png