Big Ships are Terrible now...

Reaction score
    i got kind of ticked yesterday when i sarted seeing all these comments about capitals being useless, but hopefully people are starting to see how it really is. wich is pretty much just like you said.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    So basically people have been crying cause they are too lazy to put time into building a capital and get their feelings hurt when their dinky little box ship cant kill it? Am I getting this right? We should apply this logic to every game! The more time and energy you spend in working on something, the worse it is. Those people who work hard to be good at halo now only have 10% health, so people who are noobs can stand a chance at killing them. Makes perfect sense. People who spend time designing, planning, and building a capital shouldn\'t be punished. Schema, the people who are spending time playing your game are the ones you don\'t want to F with. Think of ANY space related battle EVER and you can see that one single fighter can NEVER take out a capital ship. Yeah, in Star Wars an X-Wing took out the Death Star....with a fleet helping it. People shouldn\'t be afraid of a baby ship, they should be afraid when a massive 10,000+ block ship flies in. I can see it now, 20 capital ships are hanging around their faction\'s station, then one lone fighter the size of one room on one of those capitals flies in and everyone flips their shit and runs for the hills. \"OH GOD, LOOK AT HOW SMALL IT IS!\" said noone ever.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    Nobody said a single fighter will ever take out a capital ship. If both ships are piloted it is not possible. Have you ever tried attacking a capital ship in a fighter? Usually they spot you and melt you before you can even get itno a blindspot, and if you\'re small enough to run perma-cloak/jam then you\'re too small to get past their shields by the time they call backup.

Play the game instead of rant without use of in-game logic, please.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    \"Schema, the people who are spending time playing your game are the ones you don\'t want to F with.\"

This literally made me laugh. What the fuck are you gonna do, cry some more?

Anyway, if your capital ship loses to a fighter, you really, really deserve it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I was just going on what I was reading in the comments. All I\'m saying is that Capital ships shouldn\'t be made weak just so people who only want to spend 5 minutes building their ship can take them out. From what I know about in-game logic, the more you have of something like shields or weapons, the more powerful it is, but it also needs more power to draw on. I myself haven\'t played since this update as I have been busy working and haven\'t had the time to get on, but from what I see on the forum this is a huge problem. But if you think of any Sci-Fi franchise, small ships are never a match for big ones unless they are FAR more advanced. People keep bringing up Star Wars and how one ship destroyed the Death Star. But not even the entire fleet could get through the shields on that monster, they had to take out the shields at the source. Small guns on a fighter shouldn\'t be able to punch through the shields of a Capital ship, unless they constantly attack it for a few hours. Don\'t get super butt hurt over my comment MrFURB. All I was saying is it is stupid to punish people who have worked hard to build these massive ships. And it contradicts all Sci-Fi \"logic\" to have small ships taking out big ships with ease. If this isn\'t the case, and a small ship still is not even close to a match for a capital, then people should stop complaining.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Why should he really care? If you, aren\'t even flagged as a supporter let alone a long time tester, just as someone who is playing a currently free game. So say again, why should he care to much?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Please supply a link, a photo or a video of a ship built in \'5\' minutes that can take our a simi decent Capital class vessel.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    If you\'d waited till you played the game, you would see that is takes small fighters more than several hours to take out shields in this version.

Don\'t trust the Hype. It\'s not easy to take out capitals, unless they\'re retardedly designed.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    No, it wasn\'t a threat, it was a word of caution. Schema has made a great game, and I don\'t want to see it go under cause he is letting the crybaby noobs get to him. Don\'t cater to those who hardly play your game enough to do what it takes to build something to kill a capital, and start catering to those dedicated enough to spend their free time playing your game, building whatever they can imagine. Maybe try to be less of a jackass Mike?

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    Oh, good, it\'s nice to have more people capable of logical thinking on the forums.

As has been said several times, a fighter still shouldn\'t be able ot take out a capital ship unless it\'s left alone for hours on end to pew-pew it to death, and most of the people complaining haven\'t played yet or have very little understanding of how offensive mechanics have to be stronger than defensive mechanics in order for a game to function properly.

This change also solves a problem with capital-to-capital warfare, as a single volley used to be able to disable shields. Now it takes a little bit longer for shields to go down, although it\'s still not enough capacity in my mind.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    A big part of the feedback that led to this change is from the testers group, those of us who have been playing for quite a while and have run or participated in a lot of combat/design tests. One of the ideas we\'re trying to promote is that fighting a capital ship should be as fun as fighting another ship your size, and fighting a fighter in a capital ship should also be just as fun. Sitting still taking hits because your shield completely regenerates every second doesn\'t lead to very much fun gameplay and shields currently have no counter mechanics besides more dakka.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    If being griefed scares you.. move to a server which bans such actions or even a white listed server that caters to such concepts. Just like in minecraft, if someone builds someone I could always set it on fire, mine it with a pick or blow it up with TNT. Nothing is safe on an anarchy server. Starmade by default is anarchy, build at your own risk.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Ok, thanks for clearing that up Mike! It seemed like the hype was legit seeing as how many different forum posts their are related to this subject. You\'re right, I should have played the game before posting, but frankly I don\'t really have time right now. All I was trying to say is that if what people were saying was true, it needs to be fixed. In no world should a fighter be able to take out a massive ship, unless it somehow gets inside of it. But I am also against people making ships that can\'t be damaged. Let\'s just try to make everything make sense ok? That is all I\'m wanting

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The way i see it, is that big ships now need to defend them self, from fighters and bombers. Yeah they can kill you. but you can kill them too. and usually alot faster if you build your ship right. I like this change. everyone on my server were building big ships. and they would move them up and not worry about smaller ships that could not kill them( in fact anyone who could not pull the crazy dps number to break the regen could not kill them) and battles would be boreing and last for ever. now, alot of people switched to smaller ships, but the people who stayed in big ships have quite a few more turrers to take care of fighters(or completly focus on killing fighters) and are now to juggernauts on the server. the way i see this change makes the game playable for however style you play.

This also if you think about it. Make big ship to kill anti fighter ship. Make anti fighter ship to protect big ship. make fighter to kill big ship.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I agree it should be fun no matter what you are fighting, but fighting a ship your size shouldn\'t be the same difficulty as fighting one bigger or smaller than you. Part of the fun of fighting larger ships in games is getting a fleet together and swarming the ship and winning not because your ships are evenly matched, but because you outnumber it 100/1. I think of Star Trek Online and taking out a Borg Cube. Alone you are probably going to die very fast and inflict minor if any damage. You are basically required to have help to stand a chance at killing it. Now it seems like everything being an even playing field isn\'t the case as some have said it is, and if small ships can still only take out big ones if they have help and use good tactics than I am more than happy.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    You now sound way more reasonable then I orginally assumed, and I am sorry for judging you. I personally think this change makes the game much more fun and hope you have some time to play it! :)

Reaction score
    MrFURB said: Saying capital ships are now useless is like saying tanks are useless because a machine gun with infinite ammo can eventually plink it do death.

http://star-made.org/content/recent-shield-nerf?page=1#comment-23816

ok, im done replying to all these whiners. do all us grownups who have actually tried the new update all agree that the new shield balance didnt make 5 block ships OP? ok? good.

now im going to make a thread about what else can be balanced to make it even better, cheers whiners.

Reaction score
    They nerf shields because a single small ship couldn\'t take out a giant mothership?

How does that make sense, it SHOULD take a fleet of small ships to take one on.

I would think it would be better if it just required multiple people to pilot a giant ship effectively.