Big Ships are Terrible now...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Krazy, how good are your turrets that you are using? Do you have stats or pictures for their capabilities? With the changes, multiple medium AMC turrets should make short works of basically everything in range. Another question is, how many turrets do you have?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Did no one actually test out how these changes work? Large carrier and capital ships are still far from obsolete, I did some testing and my ships stand up fine to most any kind of firepower. If you are worried about asshole ships taking down your large carrier then make sure you always park it where it is defended by turrets, don\'t leave the just lying about in empty space. The only thing this patch did was make it possible for a squad of fighters and bombers the ability to take down a large ship after a long battle. I don\'t understand all the hate for this new patch, I personnaly love it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Just make a minimum threeshold in connection with the ship\'s mass to trigger the no-regen thing.

Like something like that : if you want to cancel the enemy regen of a 5k ship you atleast need 500 dmg... (tweak the numbers this is just an example).

Reaction score
    before this i saw everybody bitching about how gigantic ships are invulnerable, now we get a shield rebalance to fix that and everybody flips a tit. hey guys, its an alpha, shit will change, clam down.

now lets look at what was ACTUALLY changed instead of just whining about \"hours of work wasted because shields are worthless now\". first off, it seems there is about x3 more total HP added to shields, a ship that had 400k capacity now has 1200k. now for you people saying \"a single fighter can now kill a titan\" yes thats true, but only if that fighter shoots the titan for 2 fucking days constant. just because its possible doesnt mean it will happen.

now for the regen speed. honestly can any of you say you liked how it was before? when a giant block of shields would make a ship invulnerable simply by sheer recharge speed? where only an equally as rediculously big cannon could hope to touch it? i rest my case.

and OFCOURSE the game needs more balancing ITS AN ALPHA geeze people

Reaction score
    I do like where there going with the shield concept but schema took it a little bit too far for it be considered balanced. A capitol ship will fall to even one decent small-medium sized attacking ship, provided that he has half a brain (which is all it takes to coordinate manuevers around these AI turrets.).

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Quit yer\' bitching, I just did some pretty hefty testing.

A ship with 1k mass can potentially destroy a ship with 10k mass, yeah, but only if it\'s sitting there shooting your capital ship for several minutes. A tiny ship can destroy a huge ship if it\'s sitting there shooting for a half hour or more, and only if it\'s somehow able to get through the 5k+ regen.

There\'s now a point to having docking bays, since those tiny fighters that a lot of cap ships have can actually do some damage for once by focus-firing.

You\'re complaining because you have to think to kill enemies now.

Reaction score
    dodging turrets is easier said than done, they fire in unpredictable paterns so when theres enough of them...

and since the shield HP got buffed, even with no regen (and even before the HP buff) a small ship would take ages to take down that shield... 400k shield HP... gun doing 150 damage per shot... yeah i dont see a fighter dodging turrets and staying in a blind spot for all that time. and if the guy in the capital ship has any support (wich he really should)

Reaction score
    this is exactly what i found when i did some tests. wich is why i think most of these people saying fighters are god and caps are worthless have not even tried the new balance. if the cap is just sitting there idle, then eventually the shield will go down but if the turrets are active, somebody is in it and it has people suporting it... (wich again, it really should)

Winterhome

Reaction score
    If you\'re in a fighter and you shoot a capital ship, regardless of the status of its shields...

You. Will. Die.
    End of story.

Also, If your cap ship is designed poorly enough to have a massive blind spot that it can\'t ever hit, then back that part of the ship into an asteroid and man a turret or something useful like that while you\'re fighting, then add another turret that can cover it later.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    10 small turrets, 2 medium turrets, and one large one. The large one tears stuff up but all the others just don\'t have enough, with the changes though I will be completely remodeling the layout of them though to maximize the op shields, just a blanket of turrets with a few shields across major parts of the hull

Winterhome

Reaction score
    Yeah, I love it.

I think the raging 12 year olds went to bed.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yup. If you are under threat, make sure your defenses have teeth. If you have alot of surface area and alot of battery capacity, then use many turrets which will feed off your larger ship\'s power core. This will allow your turrets to have in the end more power for primary weapons than any small ship whill that has to worry about powering not only their weapons but also their engines off a much smaller power battery. With this shielding change, turrets are now harder to quickly kill off as well.. which is amusing.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    That big ships should be harder for a smaller ships to kill but they should also be harder to get. As it is right now anyone with a little sence could get max credits in little time and spawn as many big ships as they please. Hell its all people wanna ride around in. There needs to be balance all around.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think the issue of people getting infinite cash is minor compared to the results. It is better to have everyone who tries untold riches, it allows us to quickly see where the system\'s weaknesses are. In this update shields were updated as infinite money lead to ships with almost equally infinite protection.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I FINALLY have a use for all my fighters!

Just sailed right into pirate territory, jumped out of my main ship into a fighter in the bay and launched.

Auto-turrets took care of the larger slower pirates, the small fast ones I got to shoot down personally. Docked back into main ship and all was well.

I think the massive initial shields vs the small regen for large ships works out pretty well.

All that time spend re-creating the Freespace 2 fighers was not wasted :D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    /THIS/

Large ships will actually have to be designed with defense and efficiency in mind, looking forward to new designs to deal with the changes.

Reaction score
    Ill always just take apart my ship, sell the parts back, and buy a new one from the catalog anyways.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    All this has done is allow even a small fighter to take out a large ship. Tested using a 12 mass fighter against a 15,000 mass gunship.

With this new rebalance, my turret is capable of taking ANYTHING out with 1-3 volleys from its main cannons.

Even ships with shields above 5 million can be shot down in seconds by it. Shields are near useless now.

Reaction score
    A good number of coordinated smaller ships have always been able to take out larger ones.