Big Ships are Terrible now...

Reaction score
    Yeah, but that guy had force powers. Besides, the Death Star\'s was clearly built by a noob. The design doesn\'t even make sense. It\'s worse than a cube ship.

Reaction score
    You see, people who say it takes away \"giganticism\" is wrong. Naval warfare has never been about size, or anything like that.

It\'s all about having the right ratio in the tree of naval warfare: Survivability / Agility & Stealth / Casualty Production

The main concept is this: how much of each can I shove into a ship and have it be an appropriate size.

Right now the issue isn\'t Agility & Stealth, or Casualty Production. Right now, stealth ships are the bane of everything, and producing \"casualties\" with core drilling and super AMC\'s is simple and really, really easy. The issue is the game\'s survivability is off. With the harsh scaling of shields, and the fact that they rely on regen, not quantity or just physical resistance (basically breaking every rule of shielding we gamers & nerds have known since Halo 1 and Star Trek), and just how useless armor is except on the micro scale, large ships just don\'t scale up properly in their survivability. One of the biggest things about large ships is sacrificing Agility & Stealth for massive amounts of survivability and solid Casualty Production. But right now, they can simply be shot too easily out of the sky.

Every ship should serve a role. Right now, the role of massive capitols are deemed useless until you get to the area of 40 million shields (I have one, so it\'s been done). But I believe we should all just calm down and keep playing the game. In 2 years when it\'s complete, it\'ll be nothing like what we have now.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Personally whenever I play a building game, the number 1 thing I have to do is simple: Build the biggest thing i can do dominate my friends. In this case these are space ships. Big space ships are seriously cool. I love having a giant freaking capital ship that casts shadows upon planets and strikes fear into the hearts of my enemies. But being at the point where small \"invisible\" ships are better ? thats bullshit. I play games for looks and in this case size is also rather cool. Flying a tiny invisble ship just isnt fun. Sure it may be more logical but whats really more fun? Getting into massive space battle with ginormous ship of awesomeness? or having people run around while invisble and jamming radar the entire time? I strongly agree that all ships have a purpose but make it so size is freaking relevant.

Deep down we all want that super cool giant 1K meter capital ship that we can safely call the pride of our fleet. And we all want it to be effective.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    dude if you add 50 turrets on your 500 meters ship (you could add twice more) it will blow small ships easily

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Does anyone understand what that means? Maybe it\'s time to stop necroing it.

Reaction score
    Well, it maybe died out quite some time ago but it is still a problem.
    My 1:1 scale UNSC Frigate turn just as fast as the \"Amber Fate\" unsc frigate which is half the length and in general size.

Same goes with one of my smaller fighter! Around 250 meters long, the ship is close to die quick against the heavy fighter a guy built 15 minuttes ago!

And I want style on my ships, like a limit for turrets. I dont want to make huge turrets with 25000 APS because it just looks stupid on a ship from another game (UNSC Frigate for an example)
    Not to mention I want to see my acctualy build, not just turrets and squares that pop out when I delete the ship or the ship gets taken out and cause a massive mess!

Crashmaster

I got N64 problems but a bitch ain't one
    Reaction score
    In this thread;

- I design for looks, why is my ship inefficient?

- My ship design taken from another game with different physics rules does not work well in this game.

It\'s like people are complaining that a soccer ball is too hard to pitch in a baseball game. I do feel bad for people who\'s ships were crippled by the nerfs.

I imagine the crying if and when heavy bombers/ torpedo ships become a viable threat to capital ships. No one ship makes a fleet but every one thinks theirs should.

edit; do they not mention the Bismark in history class anymore?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    The way I see it, it should be that 1 fighter or bomber should not be anymore than a pest, I do realize that their are turrets, but they will likely be nerfed along with the AMCs...

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    My opinion of a decent combat system with vastly different ship sizes would be one where there is a way to specialize any ship for atleast damaging any other type of ship, albeit with heavy costs for the versatility/functionality of the specialized ship. You could have a capital ship that\'s built normally, capable of handling it\'s own against others and being too tanky to really care about fighters unless they\'re the only thing attacking yet have a weakness exploitable by bomber-style craft (Maybe with 1-time-use shield-ignoring Disintegrator torpedoes or some form of weakening EMP weapon). You could also have a ship outfitted differently in order to specialize it in taking down fighters and bombers, creating a no-fly-zone for smaller enemies but not having the brute force needed to stand toe to toe against other ships made for capital vs. capital combat.

What I\'m trying to get at here is a form of customization and specialization in technology and design with a unique purpose in mind. When one weapon works equally well against everything in any situation, fighters become miniature capital ships and capital ships become gigantic fighters, both in design and in purpose.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    If you\'re not happy with the current hull effectiveness you can always modify or add a custom block with 95% dmg reduction and 500 HP.

Until the new weapon categories arrive with their balance changes, this is the only solution you can probably have.

Reaction score
    mine have no weakness, they attack from the hardest point and win, that is what is wrong, they should always lose if they attack where i am the strongest