Big Ships are Terrible now...

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Say that to my missile racks.

Shields protect you from anything remotely AoE.
    AM cannons are only an issue because they put so many shots out at once that do the same amounts of damage overall, even though they can only damage one block apiece.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    This is very good change> there will be less ridiculously gigantic flying tetris blocksets used before by stupid asbo griefers. Less huge ships means also less lag on servers, those big ships wont dissappear totally maybe change to weapons would be nice now, to make limits to firepower and rate of fire then everything would look normal .

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    What?? Do you know what you just said? \"I put 100+ hours into my own gigantic carrier, and now its worthless!\" Because fighters are useful now? What the heck do you think carriers are for? Carrying fruit baskets? Oy vey.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Was overdue to get rid of the totally overpowered giant ships. SM plays better without gigantism!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    if someone cant take down a fighter in a capitol ship, then they\'re retarded or need to learn some ship design.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    The thing about this game that makes it fun for some people (myself included) is that you are (like in minecraft) able to build whatever you want.

But the difference with minecraft is that you can actually interact with your creations in a way you couldnt in minecraft. afterall, you can build a ship, but you can actually fly the damn thing and shoot at other ships or mine asteroids.

But the looks of a ship do not matter as much as the looks of a building in minecraft because the ability to defend yourself or gather as much materials as possible is also really important.

The combination of building a big ship that looks amazing (big ships almost ALWAYS look better than smaller ships, in my opinion) and is actually able to be completely invincible against a twat with a fighter who ( with the ship he spent 5 min building of) tries to shoot and damage the capital ship youve spent ages on building it in single player and finaly gathering enough money in multiplayer to be able to buy it.

But now that every twat with a small fighter can just shoot through your shield in a matter of minutes if he manages to stay alive long enough kinda defeaths the purpose of actually building a large ship.

if you want intense dogfights than for the love of god go away and play WarThunder.There you will find all the dogfights you can ever need but for me, this game is about making a huge ship, then getting destroyed by an even bigger ship and then build myself a bigger ship to get revenge.

This change of the shields is a kick in the teeth for people who actually like to build a big ship. And i not like it, i though the shields were fine as they were. do not fix what isnt broken. the only thing what could take out my shield was a ship as big as mine or a bigger one, like it is supposed to be.

Now all you need to crack big ships is a rapid fire AMC and some rockets to blow holes in the ship when its shields are down.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    you are comparing the yamato ( a ship) with fighters ( a plane).

so its not really fair to compare the big space ships with the yamato and the fighters with the planes.

if the yamato had to fight smaller ships (and not planes) it would have no trouble at all.

battle ships were able to shoot at a distance of 20 km (or somewhere near that, im not an expert) because they had huge cannons. the little ships wouldnt even stand a chance.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Tests relating to my small fighter with twin autoturrets on the wingstubs have shown favorable results :D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Guys, that\'s it, my fighter can take out Nightingale, the project of the 1 trillion energy capacity, now has 20 million shields instead of 800k of what it had before (sounds reasonable), but ONLY 130k shield regen ? I would say there is some math error over there, my figter does 160k DPS (Damage Per Second), and it moves like a bullet, so even the biggest ship around is still useless against a fighter.

There is no realism in small ships taking down huge ships, that only happened like, ONCE with the Death Star Destroyer because of having no other idea or way of how to do it. In no other game or movie you see fighters with 1 kilowatts lasers taking down Battlestars /Battleships /whatever, where just their engines use 1000megawatts to move.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The more I read these posts the less it seems like the change itself is not the problem. The most common refrains actually fall into the following categories:

a) Need more control over turrets, which also need more accuracy and better pathfinding against fighter-sized vessels.

b) AMC damage values and function need relooked - along with how they use power (so maybe it\'s less like a permanent white blazing line of death through space on anything other than the smallest of ships).

c) Armor and how it works in large groups so it isn\'t competely laughable.

So as opposed to \"my capital can now be carved up like butter\" comments, how about some with a bit more insight? Time it takes, weapon systems used, # of turrets on the capital, some numbers to maybe I don\'t know, figure out how to rebalance the change or make improvements elsewhere that could compensate?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Nicely put.

A carrier is usually the most vulnerable part of a naval fleet. Hence why it\'s never alone. Hence why it dispatches strike crafts to take out targets, while it remains at the safest distance possible. Other ships around it aren\'t as big, but are designed around focus on fire power. IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW!!

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Capital ships in movies/tv shows usually have defense turrets to ward off fighters though. Keep in mind that during the battle of yavin the rebel alliance used virtually ALL of their fighter craft available. Only one fighter actually made it past the defences of the death star, and only four survived the battle.

Turrets are omni-important now.

Reaction score
    The patch is good, and has been a long time coming. However, It is a bit too strong in my opinion. large ships should have a bit better odds, however. Odds should be almost always in the big ships favor, but the number of fighters and their speed and shield regen would null that probability gap. With enough fighters, a capital ship could come down. but not with just one. thats rediculous.

EDIT: If you are a good battleship pilot at all, you won\'t be taken down by one fighter.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Carriers have always been the most vulnerable and externally protected asset of fleets...
    They\'re not made to resist sustained fire, they\'re meant to dispatch other crafts to do the fighting..

If the ennemies get to your carrier in the first place, it means the battle is already pretty close to lost.

Reaction score
    How can you possibly do 160,000 damage per second? How big is that fighter?

The LOWEST amount of blocks you could have for that kind of DPS would be 2150 single array AMC\'s with the overrides set to 100% damage (74.4 DPS each)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    How weak are your shields or how much DPS are these \'small\' fighters doing?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    If it took you over 10 hours to build your ship, capitals normally take well over a hundred, then spending 20 minutes turning on defenses should be a no brainer unless you just want to sit there looking cute while you die wondering how you are supposed to fight off small ships.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    Big ships are not useless. Yes, a tiny 5 mass drone could theoretically destroy a huge juggernaught, but who in their right mind would sit still and let them attack an unsupported capital ship for more than an hour? The balance between big and small ships is still the same, it\'s just the invincibility threshhold that\'s been removed... That is all. I\'ll tell you what, though, you should be a lot more worried about those medium-sized gunships that focus on firepower that CAN get through your shields relatively quickly and still outmaneuver you big-uns.

Saying capital ships are now useless is like saying tanks are useless because a machine gun with infinite ammo can eventually plink it do death.

http://star-made.org/content/recent-shield-nerf?page=1#comment-23816

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    What turrets are your firing with to three shot everything? Thunderclaps?